The spokesperson said that policy applies to all packages, whether labeled fragile or not. U.S.P.S statement instructed packages to be marked ‘fragile’ if they can break. The postal service also offers preferential handling for fragile items for an added fee, but that does not insure the item against damage.
Do post offices drop fragile stickers on packets?
Postal staff do not drop or damage packages deliberately. If it’s fragile it needs to be wrapped in bubblewrap and packaged in strong cardboard, then you will not have any issues. Re: Fragile stickers on packets – do they work?
Is it safe to send fragile items through the mail?
The point here is if you are sending something fragile then you need to package it correctly. Postal staff do not drop or damage packages deliberately. If it’s fragile it needs to be wrapped in bubblewrap and packaged in strong cardboard, then you will not have any issues.
What do you put on the side of a fragile package?
But you know what you’ll do: Just write ‘fragile’ on the side (regardless of what’s in the box) so all of those strangers handling your package will take extra care! ‘I treated this like my own damn child.’
Should I write’fragile’on my package?
And, like children, your package is nothing but a burden to the rest of humanity. But you know what you’ll do: Just write ‘fragile’ on the side (regardless of what’s in the box) so all of those strangers handling your package will take extra care! ‘I treated this like my own damn child.’ Ha, no.
Does the post office charge extra for fragile items?
No, they do not charge extra for marking your box “fragile”. The marking is only to advise carriers and other handlers to take a little extra care with your package.
Does writing fragile on a package help?
Mailing Fragile Items
Use foamed plastic or padding to protect your items, placing the cushioning inside hollow items as well. Mark the package “Fragile” or mark “Perishable” on packages that contain food or other items that can spoil. Careful packaging is the best way to safeguard your valuable items against damage.
How careful is USPS with packages?
The US Postal Service does. Yes. Packages are required to be prepared in a way to survive normal handling, but still, when items are marked fragile, they are treated with more care. Especially glass items.
What is the best way to send a fragile package?
Here are some best practices on how to ship fragile items the right way:
- Choose a box that’s only slightly larger than the item.
- Wrap the item in cushioning material.
- If necessary, encase the item in foam.
- Use air pillows or packing peanuts.
- Add a “fragile” label to the box.
- Affix a tilt or impact detector.
Can I write fragile on a package UPS?
While you are welcome to place ‘fragile’ or ‘this way up’ labels on your package, these can’t replace adequate packaging and a “this way up” orientation cannot be guaranteed at all times during transit.
Why does USPS ask about fragile?
Special Handling-Fragile does not provide preferential delivery. Except for parcels containing cremated remains.
|Service features||Where to purchase & cost|
|Eligible mail/shipping services||Compatible extra services|
Is USPS more reliable than UPS?
USPS has had a less than reliable reputation in this regard in the past, though has increased its reliability through using improved tracking methods. UPS, on the other hand, has always had a solid reputation when it comes to tracking packages.
How rough is USPS?
Postal Service Has ‘Gentlest Touch,’ Popular Mechanics Finds
After crunching the numbers, the magazine concluded that the USPS had the gentlest touch.
How do I protect my fragile packages?
Use filler like crumpled newspaper, peanuts, or other cushioning material to keep your product from moving around. Wrap fragile products individually in a minimum 3′ thickness of air-cellular cushioning material, and then fill any empty spaces with loose-fill peanuts or other cushioning material.
What material protects a fragile item the best when shipped?
We recommend using bubble cushioning for fragile items, such as glassware, china, crystal, antiques and anything even remotely breakable. There are aren’t many drawbacks to using bubble cushioning except that you’ll find yourself going through a lot of it very quickly, making it less economical than packing paper.
How do you deal with fragile items?
Fragile Items Packing Tips
- Use Smaller Boxes for Heavy Fragile Items.
- Never Use Flimsy Boxes.
- Secure the Bottom of the Box with Extra Strips of Tape.
- Layer the Bottom of the Box with a Soft Packing Material.
- Pack the Heaviest Items on the Bottom.
- Use Dividers for Glasses and Stemware.
- Fill Hollow Items with Packing Paper.
5 Reasons Packages Get Destroyed (Learned Working at UPS)
The festive season has here!That time of year when we spend hundreds of dollars on plastic love substitutes for our family and friends has come around once again!Some of those cretins, on the other hand, have the audacity to reside more than a few hundred yards away.Unless you completely exclude them from your life, you’re going to need the assistance of a parcel delivery service to get you through the holiday season.To be sure, ″parcel delivery service″ is synonymous with ″hundreds of uncomfortable, sleep-deprived individuals cramming too many boxes onto a truck that doesn’t have enough space.″ My name is Sara Ohlms, and I worked for UPS as a Yuletide package-loading zombie throughout the holiday season.
Fortunately, I’m here to advise you how to ensure that your Xbox or envelope full of cash arrives in one piece.A hint: It’s more difficult than you think.
5 If You Don’t Follow Packing Instructions to the Letter, They Won’t Pay for Damage
4 Don’t Write ″Fragile″ on the Box
3 Camouflage It as a Heartwarming Gift
2 Don’t Send Envelopes
1 Don’t Reuse Boxes
Get the Cracked Daily Newsletter!
Every day, you’ll receive One Cracked Fact as well as links to the most recent Cracked articles in your inbox! Sign up for our newsletter here!
Worth knowing: USPS does give FRAGILE packages ″special treatment″
In the words of @lja440: ″I’ve been with the PO for 13 years.″ Everything is treated the same way, with the exception of ODM stickers and live animals (yep, we transport real animals such as chickens and bees).Notations such as Fragile, Do Not Bend, and This End Up are meaningless.You, I, and everyone else will need to pack efficiently.I, myself, mail a variety of stuff; I never bother to write anything on the package, but I am convinced that my items, whether they are fragile ceramics, glass, or Doritos, will arrive in the same condition in which they were delivered.It’s a strange sounding phrase.
My next-door neighbor happens to be the postmaster in the next town over.In the beginning of my selling career, he ″tutored″ me on the best manner to box those delicate things.Never ship delicate products by Parcel Post since the vast majority of those packages are heavy-to-very heavy, and you don’t want your glass item to wind up at the bottom of that container.
- Instead, use FedEx or UPS.
- It is usually preferable to prioritize delicate things because they tend to be packaged in FR boxes and are not as weighty in general.
- To allow for packaging material, allow 3-5 inches on all sides.
- As soon as you’ve covered it in bubble wrap, go around it another one or two times.
- It is impossible to overpack a fragile object.
Having personally experienced dropping off parcels (yes, I use delicate stickers), I can say that whatever I drop off with a sticker on it is treated far more carefully at the drop off site.All of my ordinary parcels are thrown into a trash can after they have been scanned, or they are thrown into a trash can while they are being scanned.Any parcels with a sticker on them are scanned immediately and placed to the side for further inspection.They have never thrown or hurled anything that I have labeled as fragile in my presence.
- Other packages are thrown into dumpsters, which are sometimes as far away as 10 feet away.
- I understand that robots cannot read stickers, but the humans who handle my items in MY post office are more kind with the shipments that have ″Fragile Glass Handle With Care″ stickers on them.
- I had only one box the other day, and instead of dropping it off at the bulk entrance, I walked to the counter because the lobby was vacant at that time.
There was a new ″trainee″ at the desk with one of my usual guys (Jeff), and she inquired as to whether or not my box included any hazardous items.Her trainer looked at me when I said, ″Just a little Plutonium.″ She backed off and gave me a sideways glance.He gave me a sly smile and told her she needed to phone the police and Hazmat to come pick her up.While Jeff and I were having a good laugh, she appeared to be a bit agitated.
How to Ship a Fragile Item Through the Mail or a Package Delivery Service
Items that are fragile might easily break during the shipping procedure.If you pack the object with sturdy, protective materials that will reduce movement in the container and provide suitable notices on the container, you may avoid this situation.Services to preserve delicate items are also available from the United States Postal Service and other package delivery firms.These services are not required if you pack the item correctly, but you may want to use them for your own comfort and peace of mind.The item should be wrapped entirely in brown packing paper to prevent it from becoming damaged.
Wrap the object in a sheet of bubble wrap to protect it.To keep the ends together, use strips of masking tape.In the event that the box is damaged during delivery, attach an address label to the bubble wrap that includes both your and the recipient’s addresses.
- You may also write the addresses on a piece of paper and stick the paper to the bubble wrap if you don’t have an address label available.
- Line the box with many layers of cushioning material, such as brown packing paper, old newspapers, bubble wrap, or Styrofoam peanuts, before placing the item inside.
- Inspect the box to ensure that there is adequate room left for the item and any extra layers of padding on top of it.
- Consider using a container that is sturdy enough to withstand the weight of the fragile object, together with the cushioning material.
- Place the object that has been wrapped on top of the cushioning material.
Put enough padding material around the sides of the box so that it doesn’t move when the object is moved.Layers of packing material should also be used to protect the item’s top surface.Cover the box with a sheet of paper.Packing tape, either brown or transparent, should be used to close the opening and seams.
- It is recommended that you use tape that is at least 2 inches wide.
- On the top and sides of the box, write the word ″FRAGILE″ in capital letters.
- Make use of a marker.
If the item is made of glass, include the word ″GLASS″ in the description.Stack another address label on top of the box with the recipient’s address on one side and your own address on the other.It is OK to write this information on the box with a permanent marker if you do not have an address label.Clear and strong letters should be used when writing.You should cover the address label with a piece of tape to keep it from becoming wet in the first place.You may find out how much shipping will cost you by visiting the company’s website.
The cost will be calculated depending on the weight of the box and the delivery option you choose.You have the option of using a service that is specifically built for delicate packages.For example, the United States Postal Service (USPS) provides a ″Special Treatment″ service for parcels that are uncommon or require special handling.You have the option of paying the shipping costs and scheduling a pickup online, or delivering the parcel to your local post office or package delivery service yourself.
Preparing your package with care can assist to guarantee that it arrives safely.
Select a box that has adequate space for the cushioning material to be wrapped around the contents. For weights up to ten pounds, sturdy paperboard or corrugated fiberboard boxes are the ideal choice. You should completely erase or obliterate all prior labels and marks from the box if you plan to reuse it. A thick black marker works best for this.
Where to Find Boxes
Boxes and tubes in a variety of sizes are available at most post offices.In order to accommodate products being sent using any of these services, a limited number of Priority Mail Express and Priority Mail boxes are provided for free at the Post Office.While you are not obliged to utilize the complimentary packaging offered by the Post Office for these services, you must use the address label issued by the United States Postal Service and provided by the Post Office for Priority Mail Express.To order Priority Mail Express or Priority Mail boxes at no additional cost, contact 1 800 222 1811 or go to www.usps.com/prioritymail.
Place the padding completely around the item or items that you want to protect.You may use newspaper, ″foam peanuts,″ or shredded paper to make your paper airplane.Close the box and shake it to test whether there is adequate padding inside.If you hear objects shifting, increase the amount of cushioning you use.The inclusion of a second address label with the delivery and return addresses within the box will ensure that the item can be delivered in the event that the first label is damaged or slips off.
Mailing Fragile Items
Protect your things by wrapping them in foamed plastic or padding, and stuffing the padding inside hollow items as well as solid ones. Packages containing food or other perishable commodities should be labeled ″Fragile″ or ″Perishable″ to prevent them from spoiling. The most effective technique to protect your costly belongings from harm is to package them with care.
Mailing Heavy Items
For items that are extremely heavy or thick, start with a solid box, pack the contents firmly with strong material for bracing to avoid shifting, and tape all of the edges with reinforced tape to ensure that the item does not shift during shipping. Packages weighing more than 70 pounds are unable to be sent.
2-inch-wide tape should be used to seal the box’s entrance and strengthen all of its seams.Clear or brown packaging tape, reinforced packing tape, or paper tape are all acceptable options.Use of rope, string, twine, masking tape, or cellophane tape is strictly prohibited.Place a strip of transparent packing tape over the address label to prevent the address from becoming smeared or distorted.
Print or type your address on the upper left corner of the package, on the same side as the delivery address, in the same font as the delivery address.
Extra services should be labeled above the delivery address and to the right of the return address, or to the left of the delivery address, whichever is appropriate.
Stamps, a postage meter, or a PC Postage system can all be used to apply the exact amount of postage. On this website, you may calculate and purchase postage online.
The delivery address should be printed or typed parallel to the longest side of the item. Type or print your address clearly with a pen or permanent marker so that it can be read from a distance of at least an arm’s length away. There should be no commas or periods.
USPS tracking labels and Signature Confirmation labels are positioned to the left of the address label.
City, State, and ZIP Code
Calling 1800ASKUSPS will help visitors determine the right spelling of a city name and state abbreviation, as well as the location of a ZIP Code. It is more efficient and accurate to direct your mail if you use the right ZIP Code.
If your postal item weighs 13 ounces or less and you have correctly applied postage to it, you can place it in a blue collecting box at the post office. A Post Office staff at the retail counter will assist you if your item weighs more than 13 ounces and you have applied postage stamps to it.
Shipping Fragile Items in 6 Easy Steps (& How ShipBob Makes it Simple for Ecommerce Businesses)
What do you hope to gain knowledge about?If you break it, you have to purchase it.The concept of holding a customer liable for any broken product they knock over or drop, known as ‘The Pottery Barn rule,’ may bring up memories of a distressing childhood episode that occurred in a store.While this has long been the slogan of many brick-and-mortar businesses, the world of ecommerce has introduced new challenges for those that sell and ship fragile things.When things are shipped in a box with plenty of dunnage and protective wrapping in addition to their product packaging, it is still feasible for fragile objects to break during the shipping process.
If your consumers are receiving damaged items on a frequent basis, it can result in a loss of inventory, income, and the reputation of your ecommerce company.The fragility of fragile objects, such as glassware, musical instruments, technological products, and other delicate things, makes them particularly vulnerable to breakage while in transit.While being carried, carriers hurl them into gaylords and into trucks, and the boxes themselves move about a lot during the transit process.
- It’s just the way online shipping works in this day and age.
- While it is possible to purchase shipment insurance, this does not fix the situation at hand in this instance.
- When delivering fragile things, it is nearly impossible to prevent 100 percent of damage.
- However, in this post, you will discover how to minimize shipping damage and keep your customers pleased.
Breakage: an ecommerce brand’s worst enemy
Ecommerce enterprises might suffer significant financial losses as a result of faulty products: You have an increase in customer service queries, you have to pay the cost of re-shipping (and, depending on your return policy, the cost of the returned item as well), you have to absorb the cost of the unsold inventory, and you may lose that client.
The good news: much of shipping damage is avoidable
Breakage is unavoidable in some situations, although this is the exception rather than the rule. If your fragile things are wrapped appropriately and with the appropriate materials, damage should be rare in the shipping process.
Why ecommerce businesses need to be careful shipping fragile items
Products that are damaged cost a lot of money (and much more money for ecommerce brands than brick-and-mortar retail). Here are some other reasons why broken delicate things might have a negative impact on your company’s earnings.
It is likely that you will have to pay for the reshipment of an undamaged item if you are seeking to address a damaged shipping complaint from a client at the very least.If you have additional particular conditions for returns, such as needing a shipment back of the damaged item so that you may inspect it, someone will be responsible for the cost of the return label you purchase.If your shipping policy specifies that you provide free returns, then you will incur an extra cost as a result.If your consumer is required to pay for it, this will almost certainly make them even more enraged.Not only did they receive a damaged goods and must now wait a longer period of time for a replacement, but they also must travel to a USPS or carrier’s store and pay the shipping costs.Prepare yourself for some negative feedback.
A new product does not appeal to every consumer, and some customers are unwilling to wait.Some clients may just want a refund and will not likely make another purchase from your company in the future.Not only did you lose the transaction from the client who you most likely paid a lot of money to obtain, but you also lost out on future business since the buyer now believes you are unable to deliver things in pristine condition.
Bad customer reviews have the potential to make or destroy your company’s success.When a client is looking forward to receiving their goods but opens the package to discover a damaged item, they may submit a poor review – even if you reimburse all of their expenditures and ship them a replacement item as soon as possible.This may be extremely detrimental in the world of ecommerce.A complimentary product or a discount on their next order might go a long way toward winning their business.Make it right, and don’t be hesitant to request that they amend their review once you’ve done so.
How to ship fragile items: a step-by-step guide
Shipping fragile things may appear to be a difficult task, but that is not always the case. The following are some recommended practices for shipping delicate things in the most appropriate manner:
1. Choose a box that’s only slightly larger than the item
If you use boxes that have too much room in them, the contents will shift around, which is not what you want to happen.Using a box that is slightly larger than the goods allows any remaining free space to be filled with dunnage, which helps to hold everything in place during shipping.Even while poly mailers are sometimes less expensive to transport than boxes, they are not a suitable choice for fragile or breakable items since they may be easily destroyed.While there are poly bags that come with bubble wrap protection, this does not completely avoid the possibility of fragile objects being broken.
2. Wrap the item in cushioning material
If your items are not created with supporting packaging and are stored loose (for example, if you have a glass cosmetics tube to ship that does not have a little box around it), you will need to wrap them in a lot of dunnage to protect them from damage during shipping.
3. If necessary, encase the item in foam
If the item is really valuable or fragile, you may wish to create a foam enclosure for the box that is custom-molded to the item’s exact proportions. This is obviously not a method that is highly scalable.
4. Use air pillows or packing peanuts
If there is any unused space in the box, make sure you fill it with airbags, packing peanuts, or crinkle paper to prevent the box from becoming too heavy.
5. Add a “fragile” label to the box
If the box has a delicate sticker or label on it, it will alert the delivery carrier(s) that the package must be handled with care. You may even use many stickers to guarantee that it is noticed by carriers, as long as the stickers do not obscure the shipping label or the shipping label itself.
6. Affix a tilt or impact detector
These devices are often utilized for shipments that need to remain upright and require extremely sensitive handling and handling techniques. While they are uncommon for parcel shipments and are prohibitively expensive, they not only alert you when a fragile item may have been destroyed, but they also motivate the handlers to be extra cautious in their handling of the item.
How ShipBob minimizes breakage with fragile packaging
In our work with ecommerce firms, we help them store their inventory and ensure that their fragile products are delivered safely and without damage.Our fulfillment centers provide specialized services, and our warehouse professionals are familiar with your company’s items, so you won’t have to worry about things being destroyed throughout the fulfillment process.Shipping lighting products presents a number of challenges, including handling fragile glass bulbs and oversized lighting fixtures, but ShipBob has proven to be the ideal partner in overcoming these difficulties.″We have used ShipBob to fulfill and ship lighting products for several years and have been pleased with their service.″ Team Waveform Lighting (Waveform Lighting)
ShipBob chooses the best sized box
Every SKU is distinct, and order combinations are unique as well.In addition to using box algorithms to determine the appropriate box size based on the item’s measurements, we provide regular boxes, bubble mailers, and poly mailers in a variety of sizes to ensure that your things are shipped safely and securely.If the shipment contains delicate products, we adhere to any particular standards that may be necessary to ensure the product type’s safety.
ShipBob uses the proper cushioning
To safeguard valuables, we employ a variety of dunnage techniques. We use technology to guarantee you have the precise packing instructions set up for each product, so that we can pack it exactly the way you want it every time you order it.
ShipBob works with the carriers to file claims for damages
While we do everything we can to avoid any problems while delivering fragile things, there may be accidents caused by the carriers that are out of our hands and beyond our control.Damages that occur during shipping are reported to us, and we file claims on behalf of the merchant at no additional charge.We also assist you in selecting the fulfillment center(s) in which to keep your goods that are the most convenient for your end customers, hence reducing the distance traveled and the time spent in transit for your customers.″Unlike ShipBob, our previous 3PL did not file claims for damaged shipments on our behalf.For glass bottles shipped through ground transportation, especially in colder weather, it is more probable that they may break during transit.With ShipBob, we’ve seen that our clients are receiving their deliveries in better conditions, with fewer frozen bottles bursting open.″ The Fulfillment and Retail Manager of Synchrony is Lindsay Louise.
Shipping fragile things for your ecommerce shop doesn’t have to be a difficult task to do.If you take the necessary precautions, you may ensure that your items are transported without being damaged.If you’re having trouble with damaged deliveries or need assistance delivering your fragile products, get in touch with the ShipBob team listed below to understand how we can assist you while keeping your customers satisfied.Obtain a price quotation for our retail fulfillment services and determine whether or not we are a suitable fit for you.
Ensure that your parcel arrives on time and in perfect condition at its final destination
It is not necessary to be difficult when shipping fragile products for your ecommerce firm.It is possible to ensure that your items are delivered without being damaged if you follow the correct procedures.Please contact the ShipBob team listed below if you are experiencing delivery issues or need assistance delivering fragile products.We will explain how we can assist you while keeping your customers satisfied.Get an estimate for our retail fulfillment services and discover whether we’re a good fit for each other before you commit.
When selecting a box, evaluate your packing requirements and keep the following considerations in mind.
It is recommended that you use a double walled corrugated cardboard box for shipping fragile things.It is also recommended that you purchase new boxes rather than reusing old ones.Unlike used boxes, which have been affected by humidity or wear and tear from past usage, a fresh box is at its peak strength.Despite the fact that you are allowed to include labels such as ″fragile″ or ″this way up″ on your box, please keep in mind that these labels cannot substitute for sufficient packing and that the ″this way up″ orientation cannot be guaranteed at all times during transportation.
When shipping packages weighing more than 25kg, choose packaging that is strong enough to support the weight of the contents.This will prevent the box from becoming damaged during transportation.Boxes must be of substantial construction.Make certain that all seams are sewn or stapled together rather than glued.Ensure that the box’s strength is sufficient to prevent the box’s size and gross weight limits from being exceeded.These are frequently indicated on the sides of the vehicle.
- Use a brand-new box that has not been subjected to wear and tear or humidity to guarantee that it has reached its maximum capacity.
Irregular shaped items
Select packaging that is strong enough to hold the weight of the items if the delivery weighs more than 25kg, to avoid the box becoming broken during transportation.A sturdy box is required.If possible, sew or staple seams rather than using glue to keep them from coming apart later on.Check the box’s strength to guarantee that it does not exceed the box’s size and gross weight limits before using it.Side indications are frequently used for this.Use a brand-new box that has not been subjected to wear and tear or humidity to guarantee that it is at its maximum capacity.
When transporting any type of liquid, such as drinks, it is critical to use sufficient and appropriate packing.These shipments must be packaged in accordance with UPS specifications, and they should be evaluated by the manufacturer to ensure that they fulfill ISTA3A or UPS Package Design and Test Lab specifications.There are a variety of alternatives available, including pre-formed Expanded Polystyrene (EPS) foam, folded corrugated trays, and molded fiber trays, among others.Corrugated cardboard boxes that are divided into divisions that keep the bottles in the middle of the box and away from the exterior walls are used to transport these heavy-duty bottles.The inside components must be able to fit snugly inside the box, and all closing flaps must be properly sealed at the top and bottom using pressure sensitive tape to prevent leakage.If you are not filling up all of the compartments of the interior component, make sure not to leave any of them vacant, since this would weaken the component’s overall structural integrity.
- Filling it with robust, compromised craft paper or different packing material is an excellent choice.
- If you are sending alcoholic drinks such as wine, beer, or spirits, please go to our website on wine shipments for further information on how to ship these types of products.
UPS vs USPS: Services & Pricing Comparison
- Important Points: UPS and USPS are both excellent delivery alternatives, albeit they differ in a number of ways.
- The United States Postal Service (USPS) is geared to carry smaller goods at a low cost, whereas UPS is meant to ship larger shipments over the world.
- While the United States Postal Service (USPS) provides free Saturday delivery, UPS charges an additional fee for this service.
- A reputable shipping platform can provide you with immediate access to high-volume savings for carriers like as UPS and the United States Postal Service.
UPS and the United States Postal Service are distinguished by a single letter – both are internationally recognized courier services that provide economical domestic and international shipping choices, as well as their own distinct benefits and drawbacks for online retailers.However, the debate over UPS vs.USPS, and specifically UPS Ground vs.USPS Priority Mail, has been a hot topic among many eCommerce companies – so deciding between UPS and USPS for your eCommerce company largely depends on your specific business needs, taking into consideration their advantages and disadvantages, as well as their advantages and disadvantages.Sign up for a free Easyship account today and you might save up to 89 percent on shipping costs.
Table of Contents
01 Which Courier is the Most Appropriate for Your E-Commerce Company?02 What is the difference between UPS and the United States Postal Service?03 USPS vs.UPS Shipping Costs 04 Which is faster: UPS or the United States Postal Service?05 Advantages and Disadvantages of UPS 06 Advantages and Disadvantages of the United States Postal Service 07 Ways in Which Easyship Can Assist 08 UPS vs.USPS Frequently Asked Questions
Which Courier is Best for Your eCommerce Business?
The United States Postal Service (USPS) is frequently a better choice for smaller items weighing less than 13 pounds, but UPS is often a better choice for bigger, heavier goods.The USPS is usually typically speedier, however tougher laws may restrict what you are allowed to ship with them, making a courier service such as UPS a more realistic alternative.The tracking capabilities of UPS are exceptional, making it an excellent choice for organizations shipping worldwide.The USPS, on the other hand, is probably the greatest choice for weekend deliveries, because UPS does not provide free Saturday service.In the end, eCommerce businesses should carefully consider their requirements – including their budget, desired delivery timeframes, and whether they’re sending locally or internationally – before selecting either UPS or USPS as their shipping carrier.On the basis of a thorough examination of UPS vs.
- USPS features as well as a thorough examination of UPS and USPS pricing, online businesses may have a better grasp of how the two services compare and choose which is the better option for their particular business.
- Take a brief look at their differences, how two of their most popular services compare, rate and delivery time information, what they provide, their pros and downsides, and which one is ideal for your eCommerce firm in this comparison chart below.
What is the Difference Between UPS and USPS?
In general, the United States Postal Service (USPS) is designed to carry smaller items and letters swiftly and cost-effectively, whereas UPS is meant to ship bigger products internationally.Both UPS and the United States Postal Service (USPS) are fundamentally distinct organizations.The most significant distinction between them arises from their extremely different upbringings.UPS, sometimes known as United Parcel Service, is a publicly listed firm that is often regarded as the world’s largest package delivery service provider.United Parcel Service (UPS), which also provides freight forwarding and logistical services, was established in 1907 and is headquartered in Sandy Springs, Georgia.The United States Postal Service, sometimes known as the USPS, is not a corporation, but rather an independent service of the United States Federal government.
- It is responsible for the delivery of letters and smaller parcels both domestically and internationally on behalf of the United States Postal Service, which is headquartered in Washington, DC.
- This federal agency with its headquarters in Washington, D.C., was founded in 1775 and restructured in its current form in 1971.
UPS Ground vs. USPS Priority
- UPS Ground and USPS Priority Mail are two of the most popular options offered by both courier companies in terms of delivery times. To see how they compare, have a look at the following: Package tracking is an extremely significant feature for international shipment since it provides customers with peace of mind while also increasing the trustworthiness of the courier service. It has historically had a less-than-reliable reputation in this respect, however it has improved its reliability through the use of more accurate monitoring technologies in recent years. For its part, UPS has long enjoyed an excellent reputation when it comes to tracking goods.
- When it comes to delivery speed, USPS Priority is generally considered to be superior, being able to deliver packages normally in two to three business days, as opposed to up to two weeks with UPS Ground.
- When comparing USPS and UPS costs, USPS Priority is significantly more economical than UPS Ground, particularly if you’re sending products weighing less than two pounds. In addition, USPS Priority offers flat rate boxes that can accommodate the shipping of many products in the same package.
USPS vs. UPS prices
UPS is frequently more expensive than the United States Postal Service (USPS) owing to taxes and surcharges, particularly when sending smaller products.In general, when delivering smaller goods weighing less than two pounds, the United States Postal Service offers much lower prices.UPS is often a better choice when transporting larger, heavier products since it provides a greater value for money.Related: Changes in USPS Shipping Rates for 2021
Prices for 5lb package
|Courier||Service||Delivery Time Frame||Starting Cost|
|UPS||UPS Ground||6 Days||$10.46|
|UPS||UPS 3-Day Select||5 Days||$16.30|
|USPS||USPS Priority Mail 2-Day||2 Working Days||$26.35|
|USPS||USPS Retail Ground||3-7 Working Days||$10.60|
Which is faster: UPS or USPS?
Even though both UPS and the United States Postal Service (USPS) provide overnight delivery, according to Stamps.com, the average total delivery days for USPS Priority Mail were just 1.79 days, but UPS Ground was 2.75 days, indicating that USPS is the superior choice when speed is a need.Delivery speed is critical for eCommerce, with the United States Postal Service (USPS) consistently ranking first.Notably, the United States Postal Service (USPS) has more tougher limitations concerning parcel weight and size, which means that UPS is frequently a superior alternative for transporting larger products swiftly and efficiently.
- UPS provides a number of shipping services to meet the needs of customers with varying delivery requirements. Please consult this page for further information on the services offered. UPS Express Critical: As the name indicates, this is the courier’s most expedient shipment option. It is available only to businesses. This service is accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week, all year round. The most efficient shipping route is determined depending on your location, and all available shipping options are utilized to ensure that your package arrives on time. Its disadvantage is that it is often more expensive when compared to the majority of other shipping alternatives provided by UPS.
- UPS Next Day Air: UPS is well-known for its next-day delivery service, which allows packages to be delivered on the same day as the business day after they are shipped. Preferably, you should choose between Early and Saver choices, with Early delivery occurring in the afternoon and Saver delivery occurring after 4pm local time
- UPS Delivery times are indicated in business days for UPS 2nd Day and UPS 3rd Day Select services, which are offered for packages that are not very urgent. When you choose 2nd Day Select, your shipment will be delivered on the second upcoming business day, and when you choose 3rd Day Select, your package will be delivered on the third upcoming business day.
- UPS Ground: This is the most basic and cost-effective shipping option offered from UPS. It is normally cost-effective, but it is not the best option for time-sensitive deliveries because delivery periods typically range from one to five business days.
- The United States Postal Service (USPS) provides a variety of services to meet the needs of eCommerce firms and people who need to ship personal goods and mail. Visit this page for more information about their services and to learn more about them. Packages are sent overnight seven days a week using the Priority Mail Express service, which is the quickest service available by the United States Postal Service.
- Priority Mail: The Priority Mail service delivers items within one to three business days, depending on the location of the shipment. It also provides a fixed charge for any shipment weighing less than 70 pounds.
- First Class Mail is a service intended especially for single envelopes and small parcels weighing no more than 13 lbs. It is not available for large goods. Within one to three business days, you will get your order.
- Retail Ground is a service for big shipments that provides a cost-effective delivery alternative if there is no time constraint on the delivery
- it is also known as ″retail ground shipping.″
- Video and audio recordings intended for educational purposes are sent using this unique package designated for media. Shippers, on the other hand, must adhere to an ethical code and adhere to regulations on the type of material that may be sent. This item has a weight restriction of 70 lbs, and delivery time is between two and eight business days.
Pros and Cons of UPS
- UPS, like any other courier service, has its own set of perks and downsides to consider. A short glance at some of the options to explore is as follows: UPS Advantages: Known for delivering packages quickly and securely
- Very dependable, with a superb monitoring system
- very affordable.
- There are services for same-day delivery and next-day delivery available
- Provides guaranteed express shipment and has a strong reputation for being on time
- If your shipment weighs more than two pounds, you may take advantage of reasonable pricing.
- If you ship with them on a regular basis, you may take advantage of volume reductions.
- UPS Cons: Their shipping rates are greater than those of the United States Postal Service, and services can be a little more expensive due to taxes and surcharges. If you’re exporting overseas, this expense might be a significant hardship because there is no free pickup available. Instead of a per-minute cost, a flat rate is charged.
- Saturday delivery is not available as a regular service. Instead, it is described as a value-added service, which means you will be required to pay an additional fee for it.
Pros and Cons of USPS
- The United States Postal Service, like UPS, has its own set of pros and downsides. Some of them are as follows: Pros of the United States Postal Service: The best value and most cost-effective alternative for tiny shipments, particularly those weighing less than 13 lbs
- The company has a historical reputation for delivering on schedule, even during bad weather conditions.
- As part of their Priority Mail service, they provide flat rate boxes, making it a more cost-effective alternative.
- Packaging materials are available for free at post offices, and they can also be shipped straight to you.
- One and only courier service that is capable of delivering to post offices and mailboxes
- USPS Cons: Generally seen as less dependable when compared to UPS and other carriers, particularly when it comes to package tracking
- Customer service has a reputation for being less than outstanding
How Easyship Can Help
UPS and the United States Postal Service are both excellent courier services in their own right.Both have their own set of pros and downsides, so you should carefully weigh your options before deciding which is the best fit for your eCommerce company needs.Easyship collaborates with both of these companies to provide you with the best hybrid solutions for your business.The Easyship rates calculator is also an excellent tool for comparing prices and determining which one is best suited for your eCommerce needs and requirements.Sign up for a free account today to learn how both UPS and the United States Postal Service can assist your organization in shipping internationally!
UPS vs. USPS FAQ
Is it preferable to transport medium- to-large-sized items using UPS or USPS?When shipping out things of greater value or larger shipments, UPS is the most cost-effective option.What is the most efficient method of comparing shipping prices from the United States Postal Service and UPS?Using Easyship, you can save up to 89 percent on reduced shipping prices for more than 250 carriers, making it simple to compare hundreds of couriers at one time.Is UPS or USPS more efficient in terms of delivery time?Both the United States Postal Service and UPS provide expedited delivery services for time-sensitive items.
- This page was modified on February 5, 2021, to include the most recent information available at the time.