So for the third year in a row, the Dougherty family has teamed up with MPD to assemble care packages full of a number of donated essential items. ‘Hand warmers, gloves, mittens, hats, bottles of water,’ said Captain James. Once complete, Milwaukee police hand out bags to anyone who may be in need.
How much does it cost to make a care package for homeless?
So without further ado here are 4 easy care packages you can make for the homeless for $10 each: Baby wipes ($2.49) It is unnecessary to get soap because most places where the homeless can take a shower will already have soap, and soap can be used to wash hair as well.
What should be included in a care package for the homeless?
Here are a few things every care package for the homeless should include. When it comes to food, you want to make sure you’re not filling your care packages up with a bunch of empty carbs. Your care package should contain healthy, protein-rich snacks that can help satiate an appetite for several hours.
How can we help the homeless?
Make it an activity to share with loved ones, and you can pool your money together to create even more care packages. Hand the packages to the homeless directly, do not toss it out your car window or throw it to them when walking by on the street.
What are some good things to give to a homeless person?
1 A bag to put everything in that they can reuse later. 2 A Bible. 3 Tracts and Devotionals. 4 Cash or Food Gift Cards. 5 Other Inspirational Items. 6 Toiletries. 7 Non-Perishable Food & Water. 8 Seasonal Comforts and Necessities. 9 List of Homeless Shelters & Free Lunches Nearby.
What to put in a homeless care package?
Is it legal to give the homeless care packages?
Unless the care package contains things other than hygiene products, clothing or food. If it contains something illegal from the state in which you are giving the care package then the answer is yes it is illegal to give that kind of care package.
What services are provide by a homeless shelter?
EASTON, Pa. – Area shelters are busy inside preparing to bring people in from outside, especially on nights with temps in the teens. Sarah Massaro helps run Safe Harbor of Easton. The work continues there, even during a pandemic. ‘We are observing social distancing so participants are spaced out in cots.
How A $10 Care Package Can Help the Homeless
- Whether you live in a huge metropolis or a rural region, there is a good chance that you may come across someone from the homeless community. Whatever the situation, whether it’s a homeless teenager or veteran, an elderly person, a young adult, or even a family, it’s impossible not to be moved to open your wallet and give them a few cash.. Though this may be useful for a short period of time, there is something even more straightforward and effective you can do: prepare tiny care packages to hand out to the homeless when you come across them. If you take the subway every day, stroll along key streets often, or drive by locations where there are a lot of homeless people, it’s simple to deliver them a fast care package that you can put together for as little as $10 in minutes! When you go grocery shopping or dash to the store to pick up a quick item, consider picking up an extra water bottle or a pair of warm socks to give out as well – it may be the lifeline that a homeless person is in desperate need of at the time. All of these goods might be found at Walgreens, Walmart, Target, or CVS, among other places. Before I begin my list, I want to make certain that everyone is safe, so if you decide to go out and deliver care packages to the homeless, make sure you do it as part of a group such as a church group, a book club, a family excursion, or just a group of your closest friends. Make it a shared pastime with family and friends, and you’ll be able to combine your funds to make even more care packages. Don’t throw your packages out the window of your car or hurl them to the homeless as you pass by on the street
- instead, hand them to them personally. Wrap each box individually in a transparent Ziploc bag, preferably with a description of what is inside to make sure the recipients understand precisely what is being given to them. Keep a smile on your face! Kindness is your most valuable asset, and even if they do not want every single item you provide at the time or at all, the time and effort you put into assisting them will be appreciated. They are also human, and as such, they need to be treated with decency and respect. In the meanwhile, here are four simple care packages you can prepare for the homeless for less than ten dollars each: Package 1-Necessities at the Barest Minimum Wipes for babies ($2.49) It is not required to purchase soap because most sites where the homeless may take a shower will already have soap on hand, and soap can be used to wash hair as well as to wash clothes. Baby wipes are a convenient and quick method to clean up after yourself. Chapstick in a package of two ($1.89 each) It is common for dry lips to occur as a result of cold and dry weather, and having chapstick on hand may be really beneficial. Applesauce (priced at $2.08) Soft meals are essential for homeless people who have dental difficulties, and since the majority of homeless people do not have access to dental treatment, a soft and healthful food that is readily transported is a welcome addition to their diet. Advil ($2.89) is a pain reliever. Headaches, fever, aches and pains are common complaints, and a container of ten Advil tablets can give rapid relief when needed. Water in a bottle ($1.50) Obtaining a refillable bottle of water is incredibly beneficial to the homeless people, as dehydration is a common occurrence among this population. Package 2-Have a Safe Journey 2) Travel Lotion (99 cents). To avoid pain and suffering caused by dry hands, feet, elbows, and joints, it is recommended that you keep a small container of lotion on hand. Warm Socks ($4.93) for the winter. In the winter and when it is pouring, a pair of warm socks is the most important item that the homeless population may have on their person. Socks are in great demand since they are often not accessible at thrift stores and shelters, which is why they are in such short supply. It is their major way of transportation, therefore if their feet are moist, broken or hurting, they will be unable to get to food, shelter, or warmth if they are not well protected. If you have the funds, treat them to a quality pair of thermal or wool socks
- alternatively, a less expensive pair included in the care package can last them for quite some time before they need to be replaced. Vitamins in a chewable form ($4.99) People who cannot always afford good meals or a meal every day can benefit greatly from adult gummy vitamins, which will strengthen their immune systems. The vitamins help to keep them healthy and help them to last longer. Package3-It’s Important to Be Clean. Band-Aids ($2.00) are available. Band-aids are useful for those little cuts and scrapes that can occur when one spends a lot of time outdoors or on public transportation. They can prevent a minor cut from becoming infected and causing the individual to contract a more serious infection. Beef Jerky (priced at $3.98) Beef jerky is actually quite good since it provides a substantial amount of protein, helps you feel full, and is suitable for both those who do not have dental issues and those who do have them. One may either bite into or suck on it to obtain the nutrients required because it is a tough food that lasts for a lengthy period of time. Foam Pads ($2.89) for Feminine Hygiene Products In addition to socks, feminine hygiene products are one of the most important items that the homeless require. They are not easily available, they are not inexpensive, and people frequently overlook the fact that a significant section of the homeless population need them. Including them in a care package might be the difference between life and death for someone who really needs them. Deodorant for Travel ($0.97) A deodorant with a neutral scent may be a wonderful addition to a care package
- however, it is important to keep toiletries apart from food to ensure that the food does not wind up smelling or tasting like cleaning products. Mints without added sugar ($0.97) Mints are preferable over gum since they allow folks with dental difficulties to continue to chew on them while still receiving a delicious snack in their care box. Package 4-What To Do When You Can’t Sleep At Night. Headlamps are available for purchase for $4.99 each. When a homeless person is traveling or scavenging in the dark at night, or when they are looking for something to eat before retiring to sleep, this may really be quite beneficial to them. Because their hands will be free, headlamps are quite inexpensive and do not have the same fragility as a dropped flashlight. Raisins ($1.99) are a sweet treat. Overall, dried fruit is a fantastic source of nutrients because it is long-lasting and convenient to snack on while on the go. Lunchables are available for $1.00. These are quick and easy to prepare because they require no cooking or heating up, they can be transported simply, and they arrive pre-packaged with a delicious dinner. Toothbrush (99 cents) Aside from that, toothpaste can be purchased for a very low price, and having a toothbrush on hand is advantageous if a homeless person finds themselves in a situation where they may be spruced up. Tissues for Travel ($1.00) Tissues may be quite useful in a variety of scenarios, including blowing noses, cleaning up spills, and whatever else the individual may require. What should not be included in a care package: Products containing alcohol in them (such as mouthwash or hand sanitizer) are not recommended for addicts
- used items
- crunchy granola bars, sticky meals and candies are not recommended for individuals who have dental difficulties.
If you live in a major city or a rural region, there is a good chance that you may come into contact with someone from the homeless community.Whatever the situation, whether it’s a homeless teenager or veteran, an elderly person, a young adult, or even a family, it’s impossible not to be moved to open your wallet and hand out a few cash.If you want to aid the homeless for a short period of time, creating tiny care packages to hand out to them when you come across them is a much simpler and more helpful solution.In case you take the subway every day, walk along key streets on a regular basis, or drive by places where there are a lot of homeless people, it’s simple to pass them over a short care package that you may put together for about $10.Think about getting an extra water bottle or a pair of warm socks to hand out when you’re out grocery shopping or running to the store for a last-minute item.You never know when it could be the lifesaver a homeless person is looking for.
- Walgreens, Walmart, Target, and CVS are all places where you may find all of these goods.
- For the time being, I want to make sure that everyone is secure, so if you decide to go out and deliver care packages to the homeless, make sure you do so in a group, whether it’s with a church group, a book club, a family trip, or simply a group of friends.
- Share the activity with your family and friends, and you may combine your funds to make even more care packages as a group effort.
- Don’t throw your packages out the window of your automobile or hurl them to the homeless while passing by on the street; instead, hand them straight to them.
- Wrap each box individually in a transparent Ziploc bag, preferably with a list of the contents inside to make sure the recipients understand precisely what is being sent to them.
- Remember to put on a good show!
- Even if they do not use every single item you provide at the time or at all, the effort you put out in assisting them will be valuable.
- Kindness is your greatest advantage.
- They are also human beings who should be treated with decency and respect.
- In the meanwhile, here are four simple care packages you can prepare for the homeless for less than ten dollars each: 1.
- Basic Necessities (Package 1) Wipes for babies ($2.49 per pack).
- It is not required to purchase soap because most sites where the homeless may take a shower will already have soap on hand, and soap can be used to wash hair as well as to wash clothing.
- Cleansing using baby wipes is a quick and simple process.
- Package includes two chapsticks ($1.89) Cold and dry climates may cause chapped lips, and having chapstick on hand can be a lifesaver.
- The applesauce ($2.08) is made using organic apples.
- Soft meals are essential for the homeless who suffer from tooth difficulties, and because the majority of the homeless do not have access to dental treatment, a soft and nutritious meal that is readily transportable is a welcome addition to their nutritional regimen.
- In addition to Advil ($2.89), there are a number of other medications.
Headaches, fever, aches and pains are common complaints, and a bottle of ten Advil tablets can give immediate relief when it’s needed the most.$1.50 for a bottle of water Obtaining a refillable bottle of water is incredibly beneficial to the homeless people, since dehydration is a common occurrence there.Safety on the Roads is included in Package 2.The second product is called Travel Lotion ($0.97).
Dry hands, feet, elbows, and joints may all cause pain and suffering, so keeping a little bottle of lotion on hand is a perfect addition to any care package you put up.Warm Socks ($4.93) are a great investment.One of the most important things that the homeless population requires is a pair of warm socks, especially during the colder months and when it is raining.Therefore, there is a great demand for socks because they are often unavailable at charity stores and shelters.
- It is their major way of transportation, therefore if their feet are moist, broken or hurting, they will be unable to get to food, shelter, or warmth if they are not adequately protected.
- Put money aside for a quality pair of thermal or wool socks; alternatively, a less expensive pair sent in a care package can last them for quite some time before they need to replace them with a more expensive pair.
- The Vitamins ($4.99) are in the form of chewable tablets.
- These adult gummy vitamins are extremely beneficial to folks who are unable to purchase good meals or a meal every day on a consistent basis.
- Nutritional supplements help individuals to maintain their health and endurance for a longer period of time.
- Third, it is essential to maintain personal hygiene.
A pair of band-aids ($2.00) is a little but necessary item.Little cuts and scrapes are common when people spend a lot of time outdoors or on public transit, and band-aids can help prevent a small cut from becoming infected and causing a more serious sickness in the person who has suffered from the cut.Beef Jerky ($3.98) is a snack made from ground beef.Beef jerky is actually quite good since it provides a substantial amount of protein, helps you feel full, and is suitable for both those with and without dental issues.One may either bite into or suck on it to obtain the nutrients required because it is a tough meal that keeps for a long time.
Pads ($2.89) for feminine hygiene products Feminine hygiene products are the second most important item that the homeless require after warm clothes.These services are neither readily available or inexpensive, and people frequently overlook the fact that a significant section of the homeless population relies on these resources.It’s possible that include these in a care package can save the lives of those in need.$0.97 for a travel deodorant Make careful to keep amenities away from food so that the food does not wind up smelling or tasting like cleaning products.A neutral smelling deodorant may be a wonderful addition to any care box.
Peppermints ($0.97) that are free of added sugar For people who suffer from dental difficulties, mints are preferable to gum since they allow them to continue to suck while also providing a refreshing snack in their care package.When You Can’t Sleep At Night, Get Package4 $5.99 for a headlamp This is actually something that may be quite useful to a homeless person at night, when they are traveling or scavenging in the dark or when they are looking for something to eat before going to bed.Headlamps are quite inexpensive and do not have the same level of fragility as a dropped flashlight because they do not require the use of both hands.
The raisins ($1.99) are a treat for the taste buds.For the most part, dried fruit has many nutrients, lasts a long time, and is convenient to carry with you.$1.00 for lunchables These are quick and easy to prepare because they require no cooking or heating up, they can be transported simply, and they are pre-packaged with a delicious dinner.
- Toothbrush ($0.97) is an optional purchase.
- Aside from that, toothpaste can be purchased for a very low cost, and having a toothbrush on hand is advantageous if a homeless person finds themselves in a situation where they may be spruced up.
- ($1.00) Pack of Travel Tissues Tissues may be quite useful in a variety of scenarios, including blowing noses, cleaning up spills, and whatever else the individual would require.
In a care package, do not include the following items: Products containing alcohol in them (such as mouthwash or hand sanitizer) are not recommended for addicts; used items; crunchy granola bars, sticky meals and candies are not recommended for individuals who have dental issues.
Care Package For The Homeless – How to Create a Life-Changing Package.
News It’s not easy to be out on the streets all the time.Unfortunately, for the nearly 235,000 Canadians who experience homelessness each year, there may be no other choice available to them.As an organization that provides assistance to those who are homeless, we understand that compassion and a small amount of assistance may go a long way.And it is at this point that the homeless care package comes in.Don’t know what to include in each of your neighbor’s care packages, but you want to do your part to assist them out.Don’t be concerned!
- Discover all you need to know about putting together a life-changing care package for persons who are facing homelessness in this comprehensive guide.
What to Include in a Care Package for the Homeless
The fact that homeless persons do not always have a safe location to store their belongings should be taken into consideration while putting together care packages.If this is the case, you may want to try putting everything in a backpack or similar convenient carrying bag that your receivers will be able to use again and again.Following the completion of the ″packaging″ section, it is necessary to fill the container with ″care.″ Here are a few items that should be included in every care gift for the homeless.
- Food is important in care gifts, and you should avoid stuffing them with a bunch of empty carbohydrates. The care package should include nutritious, protein-rich foods that will keep your recipient’s hunger at bay for a number of hours. Jerky, tuna or chicken salad snack packs, peanut butter crackers, pre-packaged cheese and crackers, protein or granola bars, mixed nuts, trail mix, gum or mints, apples and bananas are all good options for care box snacks that are also healthful and high in protein. Other options include:
Include a couple bottles of water in each care box, if you have the opportunity. You should also make a few that are free of nuts and peanut butter in case someone has an allergy to either of these ingredients.
- When you don’t have consistent access to a clean restroom and supplies, it might be difficult to keep your personal hygiene up. As a result, you should include a few common amenities in your care packages. Wet wipes, tissues, petroleum jelly, a first-aid kit, a toothbrush and toothpaste, body lotion, a facemask, hand sanitizer, nail clippers, a hairbrush or comb, and Maxi pads are some of the essential necessities that you should include in your care packages.
You may also consider including one or two reusable hand towels that your recipients will be able to take with them on their journey.
- Lastly, there are some other essentials and treats you should include in your care package to round them out. These additional goods may include things such as: a gift card to a local grocery store or coffee shop
- a flashlight
- Ziplock bags
- a small tarp or blanket
- a couple pairs of thick, high-quality socks
- warm gloves
- a nice book
- and other items as determined by the individual.
In addition, you should include a message of kindness as well as a list of local services that they can contact if they require extra assistance with their care package.
How to Distribute Care Packages
Once your care packages are complete, it’s time to hand them out to the recipients!You should always do this with a companion if you choose to pass out care packages directly to folks on the street rather than via an organization.Remember to always inquire rather than assume.You should also think about contacting a local charity to find out about the greatest and most useful sites to visit in your area.In-kind gifts can be made to any of our sites listed below, and we would be pleased to accept them.
Other Ways to Help
Individuals suffering homelessness sometimes lack access to or are unable to pay for basic necessities.And, having access to these sorts of items can make all the difference to someone who is attempting to get back on their feet after a period of hardship.Following your training in putting up a homeless care package, there are other things you may do to assist individuals who are less fortunate.Subscribe to our email list to receive more information, explore corporate volunteering, or make a donation right away.
How to Make Care Packages for the Homeless
The Bible has a lot to say about aiding the poor and the needy in general.We are told by Jesus that assisting those in need is the same as assisting Himself.And by not assisting others, we are not assisting Him, and there is a significant price to pay as a result of this failure (Matthew 25:35-46).The Bible also states that there are angels that operate ″undercover,″ so to speak, and that it would be well to be welcoming to people who come across our path since one of them could just turn out to be an angel (Hebrews 13:2).These are only a few illustrations.However, the Bible is unambiguous: we are obligated to assist people in need if we have something that can be of use to them (Proverbs 3:27-28).
- And failing to do so might actually make your prayer life more difficult (Proverbs 21:13).
- Putting together care packages for the homeless (also known as Blessing Bags) is a good way to be prepared to assist individuals who come across your path who are in need of assistance.
- Furthermore, this is something that you may be able to incorporate into your normal tithing.
What is a Homeless Care Package (aka Blessing Bag)?
For those of you who are unfamiliar with the concept of a homeless care package, allow me to first explain what it is.Basically, it’s a little bag of necessities that you put together ahead of time to present to people who are in need when you come across them.Some individuals go out of their way to hand them out to the homeless, while others prefer to keep them in their cars in case they happen to encounter someone who is in need while driving about.In any case, it is a bag that has been created with love and caring.It’s a package that has been put together in order to share the love of Christ with individuals who are in desperate need of His love at the moment.It is about becoming God’s hands and feet, reaching out to those who are in need of assistance and who are in desperate need of God right now.
How many care packages should I have on hand?
If you decide to go the route of keeping care packages on hand in your car in case you come across someone who is in need, you may be wondering how many you should have on hand.One?Three?Ten?I believe that the answer is entirely dependent on the demand in your region.Do you pass by a place where a large number of homeless people congregate on a regular basis?
- Do you pass them frequently on your way to and from work?
- Is it common for you to come encounter someone who is homeless in your neighborhood, or does it happen on a rare occasion?
- Consider this, and then come up with a figure that you believe will work well for your particular case.
- Personally, I don’t come across the homeless very often, with the exception of when I’m in a particular grocery shop.
- This is the place where I see them the most commonly.
- However, there are instances when I come across someone who is in need at random.
- When it comes to my position, I prefer to have three on hand at any one moment.
- When those three are gone, I’ll build three more to replace them.
- However, if you come across a greater number of homeless people on a regular basis, you may want to have extra supplies on hand.
Things to consider when it comes to Blessing Bags
Several points must be established before we can discuss what to put in your care packages for the homeless.Here are a few of these points.While God absolutely desires for us to be His hands and feet, and believing in Him is the most essential thing, we must also take precautions to keep ourselves and others safe.Understand that when the Bible was written, it was less typical for a woman to go long distances alone, without her husband, at the time of its composition.Typically, she would remain on their property, where she would assist with farm chores, homesteading, and other tasks as needed.However, this does not rule out the possibility of such an event occurring in the future.
- For women reading this article, please remember to consider your own safety as well as the protection of your children when doing so.
- When we are alone, we should exercise extreme caution when getting into close contact with any male we do not know (not just homeless men).
- We are fortunate in that the Lord God is on our side to defend us.
- However, you should rely on the leadership of the Holy Spirit, pray for God’s guidance and protection, and make every effort to be safe in whatever you do.
- I’m not going to assume to know what God is leading you to do, but if something in you seems ″wrong″ about a circumstance, follow your instincts and go with your gut feeling.
- Because it is possible that God is directing you in order to protect you.
- We shouldn’t live in terror, but we also shouldn’t be blind to the evil that exists in this world, and we shouldn’t pretend that we are.
- For the sake of yourself and your children (who are more than likely in the car with you), please refrain from doing anything that might put you or them in danger.
- There are risk-free approaches to take in this situation.
- The most important thing to remember is to pay attention to the Holy Spirit’s direction in any scenario you find yourself in.
Putting together homeless care packages on the cheap
There are a plethora of options for putting together homeless care gifts.Simply conducting a search on Pinterest will yield a plethora of insights, ideas, and recommendations.When working with a limited budget or just wanting to get the most bang for your buck, however, purchasing items from Dollar Tree or a comparable store may be quite beneficial.[pagebreak] This method allows me to put together three tote bags for under $35 on a regular basis.Not too shabby!However, the one drawback to this is that you are restricted in your options, but it is an extremely viable alternative to explore.
What to include in homeless care packages
Consider taking a step back and keeping it as simple as possible if your head is spinning with ideas and you’re unsure of what to include.Consider what you would desire if you found yourself in the position of being unable to afford your basic needs.Physically, you’d be hungry and uncomfortably uncomfortable most of the time, and depending on the weather, you may also be cold and soaked.You’d feel powerless, forlorn, embarrassed, unwanted, and abandoned, to name a few emotions on a spiritual level.Spend some time thinking about what could be going on in the thoughts and emotions of those people in your neighborhood who do not have a safe place to call home.Allow it to guide your decisions on what to put in these bundles.
- Some suggestions for items that you might want to add in your blessing bags (or that you should include) are as follows:
A bag to put everything in that they can reuse later
While you could easily use a plastic bag or a Ziploc to bundle everything for the care package, consider what they would require in addition to that.They may have items with them that they require on a regular basis or that they wish to keep.Furthermore, having anything to transport such items would be really beneficial.Furthermore, having a bag with handles might be really beneficial to them while they are transporting the items that you have included in the care package.
- I am aware that there are individuals who will advise you not to put any religious information in your luggage or on your person.
- And, sure, it’s true that not everyone who gets your care package will be pleased with your gift choice.
- However, here’s the rub…
As Christians, we have access to the most priceless gift that we can give to anybody else: the Holy Spirit.It’s impossible not to share that with someone who may benefit from it.It is not your responsibility how people respond to it.Don’t be concerned about offending someone.Due to the fact that it is worth it if 10 different individuals are offended and then one person discovers hope and Christ as a result of what you shared.
- Sharing Jesus with them is the same as sharing the live water with them (John 4:10-11), and it is the only way to provide them with genuine relief from their worries (Matthew 11:28-30).
- They may have heard it a million times, but there are a million different seeds that have been sown, and seed number one million and one could just be the one that takes root and starts to grow.
Tracts and Devotionals
- Again, there are many who would advise you not to include this type of material in your presentation.
- However, as I previously stated, it is our job as Christians to communicate the gospel with everyone, and especially with those who are in desperate need.
- There are a variety of pamphlets and devotionals available that will speak directly to individuals who are in desperate need of encouragement.
Perhaps this type of thing will provide them with the ray of hope they require to continue on their journey and not give up.
Cash or Food Gift Cards
- It is controversial whether or not currency should be included.
- Some people find themselves in the position of being homeless for completely good reasons, and this is not the case for everyone.
- Others have found themselves in this situation as a result of addictions that have driven them there.
In these circumstances, money may prove to be a stumbling hurdle for them.Food gift cards are another option that you might find more comfortable, as they allow them to acquire the sustenance they require without fueling the addictions that they don’t need in their lives to continue on their current path.
Other Inspirational Items
- It would be wonderful to incorporate such inspiring objects that would serve as a source of motivation for them.
- Perhaps a handwritten letter or a set of bookmarks with scripture or inspiring words on them would be appropriate.
- While these types of items aren’t required for bodily sustenance, they can provide them with the spiritual food that they may require even more than physical nourishment.
- This website offers some excellent suggestions for putting together homeless care gifts, including recommendations for toiletries.
- One of the recommendations is to avoid scented lotions, soaps, and other products that have a pleasant scent.
- And that shampoo, soap, and other toiletries would be readily available for them if they have access to a shower, so they wouldn’t have to worry about bringing that type of item in their kit.
This is an excellent suggestion, in my opinion.I’ve included these items in the past, but I’m thinking of skipping them in the future.Instead, having items such as hand wipes, hand sanitizer, and possibly an unscented lotion may be just what they require.To ensure that none of the food is ruined if the toiletries burst, place them in a separate Ziploc bag.This will also prevent the scent of the toiletry from contaminating your food if you do include toiletries in your meal.
Non-Perishable Food & Water
- While contemplating the type of food to send in your care box, keep their situation in mind as you make your selection.
- It is possible that including foods that require refrigeration or that must be consumed immediately is not the best idea.
- Instead, make sure to include foods that will last for a long time (if necessary) and provide them with plenty of protein and energy.
In order for them to gain the greatest benefit possible from the food you provide them.Avoid giving them sugary snacks or anything else that won’t provide them with much nutrition.Some suggestions include beef jerky, trail mix, applesauce, and other similar items.On the same page mentioned above, they offered another excellent advice (which I had not previously considered), which is to avoid eating items that are really hard to digest, such as crunchy granola bars and hard nuts.The reason for this is that if someone is homeless, they may not have access to adequate dental care, and as a result, they may be unable to consume certain types of foods without experiencing discomfort.
- And when it comes to beverages, avoid anything that is high in sugar because it will do them no good.
- Instead, provide them with 1-3 bottles of water.
- If you want to go the extra mile, send an empty water bottle that they may refill.
Seasonal Comforts and Necessities
- You should also take into consideration the weather that they have to deal with on a daily basis, which varies depending on the season.
- They will want additional layers throughout the winter, so a hat, gloves, and scarf would be very appreciated.
- In contrast, in the spring, they could find it useful to use an umbrella.
In addition, sunglasses would be quite useful throughout the warmer months.So, think about the season you’re in and what would be beneficial to them throughout that season and weather conditions.
List of Homeless Shelters & Free Lunches Nearby
- If you pass through a certain location on a regular basis, you might want to keep a list of nearby homeless shelters and free food distribution points to hand out to people who are in need.
- This manner, people may be able to locate some temporary shelters, food, and comforts, even if it is just for a short period of time.
- Please print this out in the smallest size feasible (maybe even wallet-sized) and laminate to ensure that it remains strong.
Thanks for your consideration.So do some study for your neighborhood or many neighborhoods surrounding you (so that you can have a variety of options available depending on where the homeless person you’re assisting lives).
How to Present the Homeless Care Package
- Once you’ve got your presents together, the moment will come when you’ll have to hand them out to the recipients.
- And when that moment comes, it’s a good idea to be prepared with a strategy for how you’ll proceed.
- Although the moment will pass in a flash, there are several things you should do in preparation.
When you first come across someone who appears to be in need of assistance, pray for God’s guidance.Is it His will for you to make a move in this situation?Pray, and then be on the lookout for God’s prompting.More than likely, He would want you to assist them in some way.However, there may be occasions when you are aware of an alarm going off in your head but are unsure of its origin.
- First and foremost, pay attention to God’s guidance.
- Next, when you’re ready to present them with the care package, be sure to do it in a compassionate and caring manner.
- Consider what God wants you to say and go with it.
- He could just have a message for them that you should share with them, so be on the lookout for His guidance.
- Whether or not you should remain in your vehicle will be determined by the circumstances.
- There have been a few occasions when I’ve pulled over and gotten out of the car to deliver a care package to someone, and there have been other occasions when I haven’t.
- However, no matter what you do, exercise caution.
- In the event that you have the opportunity (and there isn’t a line of cars behind you honking its horn at you), try asking them if you may pray with them.
- Most of the time, this is best accomplished after you have exited your vehicle.
- Even if you are unable to sit with them and pray with them, you should still ask them for their name since you would like to remember them in your prayers.
- As well as praying for them of course.
- Don’t just say you’ll do anything.
Don’t Find yourself unprepared to help those in need
- Every day, we are engaged in a spiritual struggle.
- And many folks out there are completely unaware of this.
- However, they are in a bad way and require assistance.
Pretend you’re a member of the medical team on the battlefield.Jesus commands us to assist people in need, and it is our job to carry out his command.Consequently, begin preparing now and preparing to be God’s hands and feet to people who are in desperate need of assistance.
Learn how to raise Godly Kids
Fill out the form below to receive your free copy of the guide, 17 Ways to Raise Godly Children. Discover the 17 most important methods for raising your children in the ways of the Lord.
Homeless Care Package Ideas
- The date of publication is September 5, 2021.
- When we think of assisting the homeless, the first things that spring to mind are monetary donations to shelters and volunteer work in soup kitchens and other charitable organizations.
- However, if you are unable to do all of those things, there is an extremely simple option to provide assistance: a homeless care package.
A homeless care package, often known as a homeless care kit or simply as ″care kit,″ is a bag filled with supplies that are valuable to a person who is living on the streets.Food, water, and old clothing are among the items that the homeless are most in need of at the moment.As you are presumably aware, we are severely lacking in a variety of areas.Despite the fact that numerous local organizations and shelters are assisting them, they can only provide so much assistance.Therefore, many homeless individuals must go through the day without eating or wearing garments that are warm enough to keep them warm throughout the cold months.
- It is for this reason why care gifts or blessing bags are so important.
- In the case of those who are facing homelessness, a care package is more than just a bag containing the items that they require most.
- Also, it’s a symbol of hope, and it’s a method to let them know that someone is still thinking about them.
- Making care packages for the homeless, on the other hand, entails much more than simply putting together items that you no longer need.
- What you put in it is also important to consider.
- When putting together care packages for the homeless, there are a few things to bear in mind.
What to Put in a Homeless Care Package
- Released on the 5th of September in 2021 Donating to homeless shelters and volunteering in charities and soup kitchens are the first things that spring to mind when we think of assisting the homeless.
- A homeless care package, on the other hand, is a very simple approach to provide assistance if you are unable to accomplish all of the above: A homeless care package, often known as a homeless care kit or simply as ″care kit,″ is a bag filled with supplies that are valuable to a person who is without a place to sleep.
- Food, water, and old clothing are among the essentials that the homeless require the most.
A lot of things, as you’re surely aware, are lacking.They are receiving assistance from a number of local charities and shelters, but these organizations can only do so much.Therefore, many homeless people must go through the day without eating or wearing garments that are warm enough to keep them warm throughout the winter months..It is for this reason why care packages or blessing bags are so important to provide.A care package is more than simply a bag stuffed with the essentials for those who are homeless.
- It is a way of life for them.
- Also, it’s a symbol of hope, and it’s a method to let them know that someone is still concerned about them.
- Making care packages for the homeless, on the other hand, entails more than merely gathering items that you no longer need.
- You must also be cautious about what you put in it.
- When putting together care packages for the homeless, keep these considerations in mind.
1. Non-Perishable Food
- It’s important to remember while placing items into your blessing bags that a homeless person does not have access to a refrigerator or the regular kitchen and dining utensils that the majority of us do. Thus, give them foods that are prepared and can last for several days, such as canned stews
- bottled water
- cereal bars
- gum or mints
- canned beans or tuna
- peanut butter
- pre-packaged cheese
- tuna or chicken salad snack packs
- cup noodles
- cracker packages
- fruit snacks
- pudding cups
- apple sauce jelly
- trail mix
- and so forth.
- It’s important to remember while placing meals into your blessing bags that a homeless person does not have access to a refrigerator or the regular kitchen and dining utensils that the majority of us have.
- Provide them with foods that are ready-to-eat and can be stored for several days, such as: canned stews; bottled water; cereal bars; gum or mints; canned beans or tuna; nut butter; pre-packaged cheese; tuna or chicken salad snack packs; cup noodles; cracker packs; fruit snacks; pudding cups; apple sauce; jelly; trail mix;
- In addition to food, the homeless are in severe need of sanitary supplies. A few of the most often used items are: soap
- toothbrushes and toothpaste
- dental floss
- wet wipes
- nail clippers
- feminine hygiene products
- body lotion
- petroleum jelly
- and a variety of other items.
3. First Aid Kit
- Because they live on the streets, homeless people are continuously exposed to circumstances in which first aid is required to save their lives. As a result, if at all possible, include the following products in your care kit: Band-aids, antiseptic wipes, Tylenol or Advil, moleskin, gauze bandage, and other first-aid supplies
- Other goods you may include in your care packages are: ziplock bags, thick wool socks, warm gloves, body blankets, flashlights, sewing kits, local gift cards, words of encouragement, and a reference to local services.
What Not to Put in a Homeless Care Package
Having learned what to include in homeless care packages, here are some items you should avoid putting in them at all costs:
- Now that you know what you should add in homeless care packages, here are some goods that you should avoid putting in them at all times.
Handing Out Care Packages
- There are a variety of approaches that may be used to provide care packages to homeless folks.
- The most straightforward method is to hand it over to a random homeless person you come across on the street.
- If you can get a few of friends to put together their own homelessness care kits, that would be fantastic.
You can organize a group of people and take them to homeless shelters or local public areas where the homeless congregate.Instead of contacting a random homeless person, you might work with an organization that helps the less fortunate.They’re generally inundated with homeless persons in need of basic supplies, so such care kits would be much appreciated by the organization.If you’re personally distributing the care kits, be in mind to first inquire as to whether or not they require assistance.Some homeless people are reluctant to accept assistance from others, either out of a sense of self-importance or a lack of confidence in strangers.
- After all, if you’ve been out on the streets for many days, you’ve undoubtedly witnessed enough to make you wary of accepting anything given to you by a complete stranger.
- So don’t be insulted if any of them refuse to take what you’ve offered them in exchange.
- There are a large number of homeless people who would be more than eager to take those care packages if they were made available.
- Also, don’t forget to approach the situation with dignity.
- Despite the fact that it is quite unusual, some people simply throw homeless care presents out of their automobile windows.
- Nobody, whether they are homeless or not, deserves that type of treatment.
- Make the effort to approach them, speak with them, and hand out the care package in a kind manner.
- But make sure you don’t walk into the room by yourself.
- Take a ride with another responsible adult (your partner, friends, family members).
- Obviously, I am not implying that homeless people are harmful, but it is apparent that there are some rotten apples among the flock.
- It doesn’t hurt to take a few additional measures in these types of situations.
- Having said that, distributing care packages to the homeless is one of the most effective things you can do to help them.
- It simply takes a single act of kindness to brighten someone’s day on some occasions.
- And, at the end of the day, a little bit of compassion is all that our planet truly needs to function properly.
How To Make a Care Package for Homeless Shelters
If we wish to give a charity gift to the homeless population, we must first identify their true requirements and then determine what keeps them going. Only in this way will we be able to make a substantial difference. Consideration of their daily need provides us with an idea of how to create a care package for homeless shelters that is tailored to meet their specific needs.
Hygiene Kits To Promote Healthy Living
- We cannot go for an extended period of time without maintaining proper cleanliness; otherwise, our bodies will begin to break down and sickness will set in.
- For the homeless, this is especially true because they are constantly on the move and have limited access to appropriate sanitary facilities.
- With no access to a bathroom, living on the street is really difficult.
When you buy wholesale fanny packs in bulk for this purpose, you may want to add toiletries in the package.This will assist them in keeping their belongings together while traveling.
Warm Clothing and Blankets
Regardless of the time of year, blankets and clothes are always required for warmth. A person’s clothing provides warmth and protection from the elements. It also enables people to maintain their dignity when out in public. Blankets may keep the body warm while also protecting it from the elements such as wind, rain, and snow.
Dry Foods and Water for Sustenance
- We cannot survive without nourishment and water, which are essential for many other reasons.
- We can survive for lengthy periods of time without food, but we require water on a regular basis in order to maintain our health.
- This is a severe issue that the homeless cannot afford to ignore any longer.
As a result, we need to collect donations of water, canteens, jugs, and other containers that can carry fluids.
Letters and Songs
- We fail to recognize that, from time to time, we all require a little lift in our spirits.
- People have been motivated to achieve great things by inspiration, and what better way to help others who are less fortunate than to boost them up yourself?
- You may spread holiday happiness by writing letters, singing songs, and even teaching reading and scripture lessons to children.
There are several methods to give back to your local homeless community, but these are some of the most effective.Start thinking about how you can put together a care package for homeless shelters right away so that you may be ahead of the game for the holidays, and they will undoubtedly appreciate your efforts.
How to Create Smart Care Packages for the Homeless
- In our post-pandemic environment, the number of homeless people is steadily increasing.
- In the case of those who live in areas with harsh winters, this adds still another challenging layer to an already difficult situation.
- Giving back to your community by assembling ″care packages″ for the homeless is an excellent way to make a positive difference.
Some folks even prepare a large number of these in advance to store in their car and hand them as required.Even though many of these goods can be found at a dollar shop, there are a few considerations to bear in mind while putting together your care kits.Consider include only the bare necessities, but keep in mind that these people will have to carry everything with them.
- The homeless population has been increasing in our post-pandemic world.
- The fact that you reside in an area with frigid winters makes an already difficult situation even more challenging.
- It is a wonderful opportunity to give back to your community by putting together ″care packages″ for the homeless.
It’s not uncommon for folks to create a large number of these to keep in their car and hand them as needed.Even while many of these materials can be purchased at a dollar shop, there are a few considerations to bear in mind when putting together your care kits.Consider bringing only the bare necessities, but keep in mind that these people will have to transport everything.
It is best not to bring anything that might spoil, however a sandwich every now and again might be great. Don’t include too hard items, junk food, or sweets, because the homeless population does not have easy access to regular dental care. Instead, think tuna and cracker packs or trail mix.
Accessories, not clothing
If they don’t expressly request a sweater or coat, try include less bulky items in your care box, such as gloves and socks, instead. These small details may make a significant impact for anyone who chooses to sleep outside. Choose higher-quality fabrics such as wool or thermal textiles rather than those available at the dollar shop.
Despite the fact that it is something we take for granted, not everyone has access to safe, uncontaminated drinking water. Consider include a couple of individual-sized bottles of water in your first aid bag.
It’s difficult to survive on the streets, especially at night when safety is a major concern. Consider incorporating a tiny flashlight or a wearable headlamp flashlight to improve visibility and safety during the nighttime hours of operation.
Multi-vitamins or EmergenC
Because the homeless population is more prone to become ill as a result of a lack of sleep or sufficient diet, consider including multivitamin chewables or vitamin C packets in your distribution.
Dog or cat food
If they have pets, try bringing kibble, dog biscuits, or some single-serving food portions to ensure that their furry buddy is happy and well-fed while they are away from home.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Rather than using low-quality zipped plastic bags that tent, invest in high-quality zippered plastic bags. The receiver will receive a free reusable bag to use to store their personal stuff even after the contents of the care kit have been utilized.
- Include a handwritten message with your package. While the kit itself is a wonderful gesture, it is important to show the recipient that you are concerned. It serves as a crucial reminder that they are important. Also, a printed list of resources (e.g., where to get a haircut, where to find soup meals, where to find washrooms, where to find an overnight shelter) might be highly beneficial (because they may not have internet access). If you reside in a remote location and aren’t sure where to give homeless care kits, contact local churches or call 211 to find out where they may be distributed.
-Naima Karp is a writer and poet. Photograph of a woman who is homeless (public domain)
Homeless Care Package Checklist
- Many checklists available online prescribe travel-sized bottles of shower gel, shampoo, and deodorant, but many fail to consider the fact that homeless individuals do not have access to a regular shower or washing machine.
- In your imagination, where do you think homeless individuals go to take a shower, shave, or brush their teeth?
- Yes, of course, when the possibility presents itself, it is beneficial.
When the opportunity presents itself, it is beneficial.The worst part is that when they have received their care package, they will have to transport all of the bottles that you have just left them with wherever they go!They are unable to place them on the side of the bath or shower since they do not even have a bedroom, let alone an en suite bathroom in their residence.Care gifts for the homeless must also take the weather into consideration when they are being assembled.Aerosols are completely ineffective and freeze during the winter months, while they may overheat and explode during the summer months.
- Certain other items will behave in weird ways that the normal person who has a safe place to return to would have never witnessed before since they have never encountered such products in harsh weather conditions before.
- Consider what would happen if you left your travel-sized toiletries in your car for an extended period of time.
- It is not appropriate to offer it to a homeless person if the reaction is ″not good.″ Because liquid deodorant freezes and bars of soap melt, you should consider the time of year when you distribute your care packages, otherwise they may be completely ineffective to the individual you are attempting to assist with their needs.
- And just how much should you give to homeless people to help them stay fresh and clean, as well as what should be included in their care package?
- Let’s have a look and see.
What Should You Give To Homeless People To Help Them Stay Fresh and Clean?
Because normal toiletries are so difficult to transport, keep, and clean, homeless people would be extremely grateful for huge body wipes such as Mammoth Wipes, which are available in bulk.
Why Are Mammoth Wipes Good For Care Packages?
For this reason, big body wipes like Mammoth Wipes would be considerably more appreciated by homeless people than regular toiletries, which are difficult to transport, store and wash.
Essential Homeless Care Package Checklist 2020
- Mammoth XXL Full Body Wipes
- Sanitary Items (tampons and sanitary towels)
- Socks – always important in any season
- Mammoth XXL Full Body Wipes
- Mammoth XXL Full Body Wipes
- Mammoth XXL Full Body Wipes
- Mammoth XXL Full Body Wipes
- Mammoth XXL Full Body Wipes
- If you know the individual and can guess their size, new underwear is always appreciated by homeless people. A bus pass, travel card, or anything similar is often appreciated by homeless people so that they can go to where they need to go to get the things they need to get done.
- Sewing Kit with Scissors – so that they may repair any holes in their clothing that may have developed.
- In order for them to place fresh soles in their shoes, they need purchase shoe inners, which will protect their feet, aid in walking, insulate their shoes, and hide any holes.
- When homeless individuals are out in the elements, they use ziplock freezer bags to secure their possessions, money, and other items that need to be kept dry. Their feet are occasionally protected from damp conditions by wearing these socks inside their shoes.
- Hair ties and head bands – Because homeless men and women cannot afford to have their hair cut, and because it often grows very long, hair ties and head bands will be greatly appreciated by those with longer locks, and they will also be useful for tying up bags and trousers around ankles in cold weather.
- Undesired gift cards – notably for clothes and lingerie retailers
- dry shampoo – to refresh the hair
- and other miscellaneous items.
- Candy, crackers, and cordial concentrate are provided to brighten their day a little.
- • A hiking backpack or high-quality bag into which they may shift their belongings is the most important thing.
Mammoth wipes are committed to helping homeless people.
As a thank you for shopping on our website, we will match your order and distribute the excess wipes to homeless persons in the United Kingdom. You may also purchase wipes for us to contribute on your behalf at the checkout — for every pack of wipes you donate, we will donate an equal number of wipes on your behalf.
How to make Homeless Care Kits that ACTUALLY help » All Gifts
The most recent update was made on February 10, 2022. It is understandable that you wish to bless the homeless or those who are less fortunate than you, but you do not want your efforts to be ineffective. What should you include in homeless care kits to ensure that they are effective in assisting those in need?
10 Best Things to Put in Homeless Care Kits
For your convenience, we’ve compiled a list of some of the most often requested goods, or a ″top ten″ if you will:
- Socks (this is the most often requested item)
- Water bottle, bandages, wet wipes, teeth brush and toothpaste, sunscreen, and gloves are all recommended.
- Packs of tuna with crackers
- Single-serving snacks such as trail mix, almonds, and crackers
- nail clippers
- and other little items.
We’ll look at what goes into a good care package, how to pick the correct resources, how to put it all together, and how to distribute it in the sections below.
Homeless Care Kits that ACTUALLY Help
WHAT TO PUT INSIDE
Clothing & Accessories
- Socks. Nice, high-quality socks with a good amount of thickness. Gloves and socks made of wool or thermal material are recommended. Once again, a single high-quality item will be a far larger benefit than a collection of low-cost products.
- What to avoid: Low-cost socks, low-cost gloves, and most apparel items in general are not recommended.
- There are numerous shelters and ministries that supply acceptable secondhand clothes (bring a list of such sites in your care package), but nice socks and gloves are a significant requirement that are much harder to come by than, say, a t-shirt.
- If you are unsure of someone’s size, it is best to ask them.
- The following items are recommended: nail clippers, bandages (big ones are particularly good for blisters), comb and/or brush, hand lotion, lip balm, face towels, toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Wet wipes, Maxi pads, chewable multivitamins, tissues, and other supplies
- Keep soap and hand sanitizer out of the house.
- Avoid fragranced products and bulky things as much as possible.
- Soap, since they will very certainly find soap anyplace they can take a shower.
Due to the presence of alcohol in hand sanitizers and mouthwash, they are not recommended for anyone who are at risk of becoming addicted.Because it is offensive and many individuals are sensitive to it, fragrance should be avoided.Large objects are discouraged since they are difficult to transport.
Food & Snacks
- Water bottle, beef jerky, tuna salad and cracker packs, and peanut butter cracker packs are included.
- Breakfast/protein bars (beware of chocolate that has