What is an SUV conversion package? A conversion van is a full-sized cargo van that is sent to third-party companies to be outfitted with various luxuries for road trips and camping It can also mean a full-size passenger van in which the rear seating have been rearranged for taxis, school buses, shuttle buses, and limo purposes in place of a
With an SUV camper conversion kit, you can turn your car into a campervan, disregarding the need for a tent completely. This clever idea means your vehicle becomes a sophisticated place to stay when you head out into the wilderness, complete with a bed and kitchen.
What is an SUV conversion package? A conversion van is a full-sized cargo van that is sent to third-party companies to be outfitted with various luxuries for road trips and camping. It can also mean a full-size passenger van in which the rear seating have been rearranged for taxis, school buses, shuttle buses, and limo purposes in place of a family van.
What is the difference between a conversion van and SUV?
Taking into account the criteria we’ve established that is important in a family vehicle, the conversion van dominates the SUV in many categories. There is more room for kids and gear. The height of vans makes for more head and legroom as compared to the SUV.
How much does it cost to convert an SUV into a camper?
If you are thinking of converting your SUV into a full-time camper, here are some rough estimates of the time and money it took. The estimated cost of our DIY camper car conversion totaled approximately $1200: Estimated conversion time: 2 weeks working on it every day, about 100 hours.
What is an example of a converted vehicle?
Converted vehicles can include campers fitted with captain’s chairs, vans equipped with wheelchair ramps, or any other vehicle that includes post-production alterations that change the structural nature of the vehicle.
What is a conversion package in a car?
A conversion van is a full-sized cargo van that is sent to third-party companies to be outfitted with various luxuries for road trips and camping. It can also mean a full-size passenger van in which the rear seating have been rearranged for taxis, school buses, shuttle buses, and limo purposes in place of a family van.
Can an SUV be converted to a camper?
An SUV camper is a great way to get out and start camping without the hassle of throwing up a tent. An SUV camper can be whatever you want it to be: a mattress thrown in the back, a sleeping platform with storage underneath, an SUV camper conversion kit or a rooftop or SUV tent.
What is the best vehicle to convert to camper?
Best vans to buy for a camper van conversion
- Volkswagen Transporter. The Volkswagen Transporter is one of the best-known vans for camper conversions.
- Ford Transit. Some say the wide-bodied Ford Transit is the best van for camper conversion.
- Renault Trafic.
- Mercedes-Benz Sprinter.
- Fiat Ducato.
- Vauxhall Vivaro.
Are conversion vans worth it?
Quite possibly the best value in the used car market, used conversion vans have so much to offer potential buyers. Since the original owners of these vehicles have put so much thought into their customizations, they are often maintained with a very high degree of care.
What does conversion coverage mean?
An insurance policy with a conversion privilege allows the insured to switch to another policy without submitting to a physical examination. A conversion privilege guarantees coverage and set premium payments for a certain number of years regardless of the insured’s health status.
What is a conversion factor?
A conversion factor is an expression for the relationship between units that is used to change the units of a measured quantity without changing the value. A conversion ratio (or unit factor) always equals one (1), where the numerator and the denominator have the same value expressed in different units.
How do I live in an SUV?
10 Tips for Living out of Your Vehicle
- Stay organized.
- Take a good cooler.
- Get a power inverter for your car charger.
- Keep quick meals on hand.
- Take lots of baby wipes.
- Take some air fresheners.
- Make a really really good playlist.
- Sleep in national forests.
How do I camp out of my SUV?
A Different Kind of Car Camping: Tips for Sleeping in Your Car
- Park out of the way and know what permits you need.
- Sleep with your head toward the front of the car.
- Be prepared with the ten essentials.
- Keep your electronics charged.
- Keep food in the car, ideally in a cooler.
- Have your own drive-in movie.
Is it cheaper to convert a campervan?
Although the upfront costs might still raise some eyebrows, buying a van and converting it should be much cheaper than buying a ready-made campervan. To make sure you don’t spend over the odds, set yourself a clear budget.
Can you stand up in a Ford Transit?
What is this? The Ford Transit is a pretty standard cargo van you can stand up in available in three different sizes: low, medium, or high. The difference between the medium and high-top versions is about 10 inches, so you can opt for the shorter of the two if you don’t want that much space.
What is the most fuel-efficient camper van?
The most fuel-efficient camper van model is the Winnebago Travato. Rated at around 22 miles per gallon in ideal conditions, the Winnebago Travato is the most economical new camper van model available.
Do conversion vans have bathrooms?
A conversion van may have a bed and even a converted kitchen, but running water and a bathroom must be added after purchase. Most of the time, choosing a conversion van rental means relying on public toilet facilities during your travels.
Why did they stop making conversion vans?
There are a few different reasons why conversion vans have seen their popularity decrease, and interestingly, it’s due to a dual combination of both a decrease in demand and supply.
Why do people buy conversion vans?
Conversion vans meet the same safety regulations as any other vehicle out there, and sometimes perform better, mainly because of their size. Hopefully it doesn?t have to be a choice, but if for some reason a person finds themselves homeless, conversion vans can work as a means for living.
What SUV has the best towing package?
What is the difference between a SUV and a CUV?
CUV and SSUV are often used interchangeably with SUV.The CUV chassis will usually be a unibody chassis, with a body and frame being one whereas the SUV will be a body on frame, much like that of a pickup truck. While this is the technical difference between the CUV versus SUV, even those lines are being blurred more and more.
What is a conversion package on a vehicle?
– Battery/batteries: $1,000 to $2,000 – Motor: $1,000 to $2,000 – Controller: $1,000 to $2,000 – Adapter plate: $500 to $1,000 – Miscellaneous parts (wiring, switches, etc.): $500 to $1,000
How much does it cost to convert a van?
Professional van conversions – whilst the quickest and easiest option – can be quite expensive. They usually range anywhere from around $30,000 to well over $150,000. DIY van conversions are obviously a lot more affordable, ranging from around a few thousand dollars up to an average of $15,000.
SUV Camper Conversion Kit That Turns Your Car Into A Camper
- Purchasing a motorhome is a significant financial commitment, which is why an SUV camper conversion kit is an excellent option.
- Purchasing an SUV kit lets you to continue travel on the open road while keeping the initial cost of your vacation to a bare minimum, saving you money.
- QUQUQ’s FlatBox is today’s featured product, and it’s a terrific alternative that includes everything you need for a successful adventure trip.
What Is an SUV Camper Conversion Kit?
- A car may be the ideal adventure partner since it will not only get you where you want to go, but it will also offer you with an inexpensive somewhere to sleep at night.
- The concept of automobile camping isn’t a new one; anybody who has ever set up their tent only to be caught in a storm will know what it’s like to return to the safety and dry roof of their vehicle.
- A SUV camper conversion kit, on the other hand, brings this degree of convenience to an all new level.
- When you use an SUV camper conversion kit, you can change your automobile into a campervan, eliminating the need for a tent totally from your camping experience.
As a result of this ingenious concept, your car may be transformed into a smart place to stay while you’re heading out into the woods, complete with a bed and kitchen.
Why Not Just Buy A Camper Van?
- Many people who purchase a camper van are adventure-seeking individuals who like exploring the great outdoors and searching out new experiences and adventures.
- An SUV camper conversion kit encourages you to spend the majority of your time outside in the great outdoors.
- Due to the fact that the kitchen is outside, you will have to prepare your meals here, and there is nothing better than camping food savored beneath the stars.
- If you are an outdoor enthusiast, it may seem counterproductive to invest a significant amount of money on a camper van when all you would be using it for is driving, sleeping, and cooking.
- However, if you are a practical person, you may find it necessary.
- With an SUV camper conversion kit, you’ll be able to save a significant amount of money while still being able to enjoy the same type of road trip experience.
- Not only will you save on the original purchase price of a motorhome, but by converting your present automobile into a camper, you will save the additional expenditures of tax, insurance, and repair that come with having two cars.
No Need For Second Vehicle
- If you possess an SUV, this package is ideal for you because it eliminates the need to purchase a second car.
- Being a sole owner of a camper van is not practical for everyday living since it is far too large to transport on the school run or to pick up some groceries.
- SUVs don’t have this difficulty, and they are also small enough to be able to maneuver through tighter streets.
- Owning only one vehicle is also beneficial to the environment since it eliminates the need to fuel two vehicles.
This helps you to lessen your carbon footprint and guarantees that you are contributing to the preservation of the places you wish to see.
- An SUV camper conversion kit is ideal for weekend warriors who want to spend their time outside on their free time.
- Short vacations don’t necessitate the use of a camper van because you’ll just be away from home for a few nights and won’t require the room and amenities that a camper van gives.
- You may even put the equipment in your trunk on Friday morning and drive away as soon as you get off work!
Better Off-Road Capabilities
SUVs, in contrast to many camper vans, are designed to travel off-road. Choose an SUV camper conversion kit and go further afield by taking the less used roads and visiting more rural locations. This is a huge advantage since it allows you to say goodbye to the traditional camping and seek out unspoiled spots.
Easy To Drive and Park
- Finally, driving and parking an SUV are both a breeze.
- Their tiny size and low profile make them easy to park, making them appropriate for use on off-road routes as well.
- They are equally adept at speeding through a crowded metropolis as they are at driving through the countryside, and they can park in any location, no matter how tight the space.
- This driving comfort provides you the freedom to go anywhere you desire, without having to worry about anything.
Who Are QUQUQ?
- QUQUQ (pronounced cuckoo) is a German company that has grown to have dealers in many countries and exports to all corners of the earth.
- Their camper conversion kits have been sold all across Europe, as well as in Iceland, Borneo, Taiwan, Mongolia, Russia, the United States, and South America, among other places.
- QUQUQ has the advantage of being developed and manufactured by someone who enjoys camping.
- It is because of his enthusiasm that the QUQUQ is a practical product that has been tried and tested in the great outdoors.
In addition to high-roof vans and Volkswagen transporters, QUQUQ also manufactures camper conversion kits for the Toyota Porace Verso, Land Rover Defenders, and Mercedes G-Class.So, if you don’t have an SUV but are still interested in the conversion kit, it’s possible that they have something that will work with your vehicle’s specs.
- So, let’s have a look at the QUQUQ FlatBox SUV camper conversion kit, which is available for purchase.
- Designed to fit in the trunk of your SUV, the FlatBox is a small box unit with a number of uses.
- Because there are no stray things, it is possible to work efficiently.
- The FlatBox is simple to remove and reinstall, and it takes little time.
There are no loose elements, which means that it is difficult to forget anything while on your camping adventure.The kitchen, as well as some storage room for needed objects, is included within the huge container.When not in use, the bed may be folded on top of the box unit, allowing the entire set to be stored neatly in the trunk of the vehicle.Two straps, each capable of supporting 500kg, may be used to attach the device to your car.This function ensures that the box will remain in place in the event of a collision on the road, keeping you and your passengers safe.
- Open the box and pull out the gas burner when you want to use the kitchen in your SUV camper conversion kit.
- It’s as simple.
- You may use the workbench on the side of the kit’s box to make food or clean up after yourself.
- The L-shaped kitchen created by the stove extension provides plenty of space for preparing delectable meals for your family.
Additionally, there are two 10l water containers in the kitchen area, each with a tap for simple use.When used in conjunction with one of the two bowls included in the package, this simple water system may be transformed into a practical washing-up solution.It is possible to cook without stress because of the sink and worktop, as well as the burner and the burner holder.The kitchen space also has a huge storage box, which is conveniently located in the center of the apartment.This gives additional storage space for food and utensils.When the bed is not in use, any extra objects that need to be stored can be placed in the footwells of the passenger seats, which remain free even when the bed is in use.
- When compared to a tent, the most significant improvement that the SUV camper conversion kit provides is the addition of a decent bed.
- The FlatBox’s bed is big and comfy, allowing you to get a full night’s sleep and wake up feeling refreshed and ready for the day ahead.
- The bed unit is divided into three mattress portions, which allows it to be packed up in a compact and organized manner.
- Because it is foldable, you may keep it in the trunk of your car while it is not being utilized.
Each of the mattress pieces comes with its own fitted sheet made entirely of 100 percent cotton, allowing you to enjoy a little bit of luxury while on your camping vacation.The comfy 10cm thick foam mattress is supported by a fold-out metal bed frame that is easy to store.When not in use, the frame may be stowed on top of the kitchen’s box unit in the trunk of the vehicle.The bed is made of aluminum and may be folded out over the back seats, although the seats are not designed to hold it.This implies that if you don’t need them, you may remove the back seats of your SUV to make room for more storage.As an alternative, two adjustable straps keep the bed in place by attaching it to the vehicle’s interior structure – either the handrails or the seat belt holders.
As a result of this intelligent utilization of the vehicle’s construction, the conversion kit’s overall size is kept as small as possible.When the bed is in use, it also guarantees that it is safe and secure.The bed is a comfortable 110x195cm, providing ample space for two people to sleep comfortably.
- This is unquestionably an improvement to sleeping on a camping mat in a leaking tent!
The entire equipment has been engineered to be lightweight, weighing in at only 50kg in total. Because it is lightweight, utilizing the SUV camper conversion kit will not increase the fuel consumption of your vehicle. This is great news for the environment as well as your money account balance!
- Why do we like it?
- Because it is a stunningly ingenious piece of design that allows you to embark on unplanned trips, and what’s not to like about that?!
- The FlatBox, on the other hand, is a little on the expensive side, costing $3990.
- For this amount of money, you could virtually completely DIY the conversion of a simple camper.
Tell us what you think about The FlatBox in the comments below.Let us know by becoming a member of the Van Clan on social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
More Content From The
Van Clan Team
- Are you looking for extra alternatives to purchasing a second automobile? You could look at four wheel campers that can be slid onto the bed of your vehicle.
- Alternatively, if you’re looking for something more affordable, why not consider renting one of the best rooftop tents?
| Travel Writer, Blogger, and Reviewer | Favourite Place: Sardinia | Sushi Addict| Next Destination: United States of America
Conversion Vans Vs. SUV’s: A Side-by-Side Comparison
Are you in the market for a new vehicle for your family? The number of options available might be daunting. There are several aspects to consider before beginning your search. Here are some of the most significant factors to consider when beginning your search:
- Space for Passengers and Cargo: Families want enough space for passengers, including children, friends, extended family, and pets, while still allowing enough cargo space for groceries, excursions to Costco or Walmart, and sporting items or musical instruments for the children. Another crucial issue when planning a trip or even simply heading to the airport is the capacity to keep a family’s belongings while traveling.
- Safety is a ‘no-brainer,’ as the saying goes. In the unfortunate event of an accident, the family car must be capable of keeping its most valuable inhabitants safe.
- Cost and mileage per gallon of gas: Raising children is a costly endeavor. The purchase selection will be influenced significantly by the budget available. There are a variety of factors to consider, including the cost of the car, maintenance fees, and daily gasoline prices.
- Comfort and features: The family’s car will see a lot of action in the coming months. Transportation to soccer practice, field excursions, vacations, and just doing errands should be as comfortable as possible
- A vehicle’s versatility should allow you to ride in it feeling attractive while yet being functional, no matter where you’re going
- whether it’s for a classy night out or a weekend fishing trip.
- The automobile industry has gone a long way since mom and dad’s 1950s Plymouth was first introduced.
- The station wagon was the first…
- Then there was the minivan, and now there’s the ever-popular sport utility vehicle.
- Several passenger seats, internal storage room, and additional safety measures are provided by all three vehicles.
Are those, however, the only three alternatives available on the market for a family vehicle?Conversion vans have a lot to offer and may provide a lot of conveniences for regular family transportation.For the sake of this article, I’d want to compare a huge SUV with a conversion van side by side.I will provide you with the information you require in order to determine which car is the best fit for your family based on the criteria listed above.
|Passenger Seating / Cargo||5-8/34.92 cargo area space||9 and 15 configurations available/31+ cargo area|
|Rear Seat Accessibility||Difficult||Easy|
|Fold-Out Bed Feature||No||Yes|
|Privacy||Limited Window Tinting||Luxury Blinds (Max Privacy)|
|Wheel Disc Brakes||Yes||Yes|
|Fuel Economy||Can be up to 23h/16c||Can be up to 20h/16c|
|Towing Capacity||8000 lbs||6500 lbs|
|Engine||5.3L V-8/6.0 L V-8 355 hp (GM models)||5.3L V-8/6.0 L V-8 355 hp (GM models)|
|Fuel Tank||31 gallon||31 gallon|
|2014 New Fully Loaded Price||Chevy Suburban LTZ:$71,000||Chevy Express 1500: Explorer $56,995.00|
- According to the criteria we’ve identified as being crucial in a family vehicle, the conversion van outperforms the SUV in a number of different categories.
- There is greater space for children and equipment.
- When compared to SUVs, vans have better head and legroom because of their higher seating position.
- Conversion vans have a lower load floor than SUVs, which makes it simpler for children, dogs, old people, and just about everyone else in general to access and depart the vehicle.
This is not noted in the above table, but it is a benefit.In the conversion van, there are countless possibilities for personalization.HDTVs, video game consoles, heated seats, GPS, and iPod connections are all options that may be added to your van at a reasonable price.The 2014 Chevrolet Express 1500 conversion van was fitted with an HDTV, however the Chevrolet suburban was not..The fully outfitted Chevrolet Express was much less expensive and offered more customization options, whilst the Suburban was more expensive and had less luxuries.The fuel efficiency is quite close between the two vehicles.
Both the Suburban and the Chevy Express have passed a slew of stringent safety testing.Both have wheel disk brakes built in.The conversion van’s adaptability is unrivaled in its field of use.
- When traveling for an extended period of time, third row seats may be folded down to create a cozy bed.
- Higher standing room and premium blinds can provide a sense of exclusivity.
- The conversion van is both rough and sumptuous, making it suitable for a camping excursion as well as a red carpet premiere.
- The facts have been established.
- However, make sure you test drive each car and bring your family along with you.
- The conversion van is a viable alternative that should not be ignored.
Nothing else on the market offers such a unique combination of luxury, adaptability, safety, comfort, and cost-effectiveness.Alternatively, you may continue exploring our blog and knowledge center for more information on Chevy, GMC, and Ford conversion vans, or you can email us with general inquiries, questions about our inventory, questions about our countrywide van delivery, and many other topics.
How To Convert Your SUV Into A Camper In 8 Simple Steps
- The Honda Element has been our go-to vehicle for innumerable backroad excursions, including everything from National Park hopping in the blistering Utah heat to bone-chilling cold nights at Crater Lake. With the big inside, we were able to easily sleep inside on our favorite forest routes, avoiding the need to search motels or reserve difficult-to-get campsites. Having to sleep in sleeping bags on thin sleeping mats, without access to a shower, and without a simple means to preserve cold food left us a little antsy to go back to civilisation on occasion. With each passing night spent in our car, we got the following thought: ″Why don’t we transform our Honda Element into a full-time camper?″ In the end, it took us two weeks of nonstop Home Depot runs, screwing and drilling to finish our do-it-yourself automobile conversion project. We were really pleased with the results. We completed the modification of our SUV, and it is now outfitted with a folding sleeping platform, a full-size bed, loads of storage, a refrigerator, a fan, and even a solar shower. In the next eight simple stages, we show you how we turned our Honda Element SUV into a full-time camper vehicle on a shoestring budget and with a lot of sweat equity: 1. Step 1: Design the layout
- Step 2: Construct a platform bed frame
- Step 3: Construct a mattress
- Step 4: Construct a tent cover
- Step 5: Install a home battery
- Step 6: Construct a fridge
- Step 7: Construct a ceiling fan
- Step 8: Construct a solar shower
- Step 1: Design the layout
Step 1: The SUV camper layout
- The initial stage in our conversion endeavor was to design a floor plan and explore several SUV camper concepts that would meet all of our requirements and be affordable.
- Some of our ″must have″ requirements included the following: -a bed platform that is semi-enclosed -a refrigerator -a solar-powered shower On hot summer days, a ceiling fan will keep me cool.
- I’ll also have more storage for clothing, food, and my trip gear.
- Based on these specifications, we devised a broad plan for how the conversion layout for our Honda Element should be laid up in order to meet our goals.
Inside: Outside: Once we had a broad plan thought out, we took measurements to ensure that everything, including the mattress and the refrigerator, would fit in our vehicle.After that, it was time to get to work and begin construction!
Step 2: Create the SUV sleeping platform
- One of the most difficult, but ultimately crucial, tasks in the tiny camper conversion was the construction of the SUV bed platform, which was large enough to accommodate a full-size bed.
- This was important to us since we wanted our camper bed to be comfy without taking up too much room.
- As part of our conversion, we chose to build a bed structure that can be stored in the rear of the car during the day and extended for sleeping purposes at night.
- A refrigerator would also be installed beneath the sleeping platform, so we had to take that into mind while designing the bed structure.
We built a generic bed platform out of hardwood beams and supported it with aluminum bars that served as guides and supports.The plan was to keep half of the wooden beams in place while the other half was set up to slide out and provide support for our feet while we slept on the other half.We used a metal bar as a guide to slide out the wooden slats, and a wooden beam at the end to hold them all together while they were being assembled.In the back of the automobile, underneath the platform, a metal rod was installed to provide support for the expanded wooden beams at night.We added a 16 to the interior of the car to prevent the mattress from sliding forward during the day and to provide more length on the sleeping platform at night.An additional gate lock was installed throughout the daytime to keep the flap up and in place.
Step 3: Choose the best mattress for a conversion
- We ordered a 4 inch full-size memory foam mattress from Amazon after completing the bed base construction.
- Due to its exceptionally pleasant feel without being too thick, it was the ideal thickness.
- The design of our Honda SUV is not completely square, so we had to trim the mattress to match the contours of the vehicle.
- We also divided the mattress into three halves and lightly stitched them together via the mattress cover sheet, allowing us to fold the mattress during the day as needed.
For a twin-size bed, we utilized a blanket, as well as these bed linens and pillowcases from Amazon.
Step 4: Make the tent cover
- When we were sleeping, we needed something to cover the extended bed platform to provide us more privacy while also protecting us from pests and bad weather.
- We utilized a tiny kids tent from Walmart to build a bespoke cover for the rear of the car that stretches out at night, in addition to the wooden slats that were already there.
- Using a sewing machine, we created a form that fit snugly around the car’s frame and wooden beams.
- Tent poles, hooks, and velcro were utilized to keep the tent upright during the night.
Step 5: Install a house battery
- We wanted to put a small fridge and a fan in our Honda camper during the conversion process, so we first had to connect an additional house battery and wiring to our vehicle in order to power these new equipment.
- Pep Boys sold us a Pro Start Marine & RV Deep Cycle battery, which we installed.
- It was necessary to relocate the ordinary battery back a few inches in order to accommodate the new house battery in front of it.
- We attached both batteries to a special stainless steel plate in order to keep them in their proper position.
When the automobile is operating, a Battery Isolator Relay is placed to charge both batteries from the alternator, but to separate them when the car is not running to avoid draining the starting battery and becoming stuck in the middle of nowhere.This came out well and was quite simple to put together.
Step 6. Install the fridge
- In order to complete our camper conversion, we needed to install a Dometic high-efficiency 12V refrigerator in the back of the truck bed.
- This would allow us to maintain healthy eating habits and avoid eating at restaurants and fast food establishments, resulting in more savings in the long term.
- Building the bed frame required us to take the refrigerator’s specifications into consideration.
- To make it work, we wanted the fridge to be able to slide beneath the bed frame and sit on top of the mattress.
We had to put the fridge in the trunk of the car before we could fasten the bed frame to the concrete floor.As soon as we had the fridge and bed frame attached to the car’s floor, we routed wire down both sides of the vehicle to provide electricity to the refrigerator.As long as the automobile is driven for a minimum of 15 minutes every day, the extra home battery can produce enough electricity to run the refrigerator.
Step 7. Install a ceiling fan
- We chose to put a ceiling fan in the sunroof of our Honda Element in order to reduce the amount of heat that comes in during the hot summer months.
- When it became too hot inside the car, we turned on this rooftop RV fan from Maxxair, which is wonderful since it comes with a thermometer that you can program to turn on automatically when it becomes too hot.
- We removed the sunroof and replaced it with a piece of wood in order to put the fan in the roof.
- Then we drilled a hole in the wood that was the same size as the fan.
The exterior of the wood has been varnished to prevent water from penetrating the surface.Then we moved the hinges from the sunroof to the wood piece and secured the wood piece to the roof using the hinges that were already there.It took some time, but we eventually got the fan in the hole and bolted it into the wood, making sure to caulk around the screws to prevent water from getting in.Then we transported the finished wood piece and fan to the sunroof and fixed it in place with the hinges that were provided.
Step 8. Create a solar shower
- Finding a location to take a shower when traveling in a camper van is one of the most difficult aspects of the experience. Wet naps and dips in the river are incredibly picturesque, but they can only go you so far in the wilderness. We could, of course, spend $10 for a day ticket at a gym, but we like to save money wherever we can. In the end, we chose to make our own custom-built solar shower set out of black PVC pipe purchased from a local home improvement store. We picked a black pipe since the color black absorbs heat from the sun and helps to keep the water warm on sunny days. We installed covers on both ends of the pipe to keep the water inside, as well as a Y-joint to fill it with water. A Schrader valve was installed at the very top of the structure so that we could increase pressure using a car tire inflator. When not in use, we connected an RV Shower Hose to the end cap of the shower and installed a ball valve at the end of the shower. Whenever the hose is not in use, we simply close the valve and remove it. While traveling in an adventure van appears to be a spectacular experience, not everyone has the luxury of time or the resources to complete a campervan conversion. At times, we simply have to make the most of what we have available to us. Despite the fact that an SUV is not as spacious as a van, it still offers plenty of inside space that can be used for sleeping and storing items. You won’t have to worry about your car getting stuck on difficult roads if you convert your 4×4 or all-wheel-drive vehicle into a camper car, and, unlike a van, you can take it on almost any trail or minor road. We’ve put together a tutorial on how we transformed an empty Promaster van into a full-time campervan for those who want a little more luxury when traveling. If you are considering turning your SUV into a full-time camper, here are some approximate estimates of the time and money it will take to complete the project. It is projected that the cost of our do-it-yourself camper car conversion will be roughly $1200: Bed frame $100
- mattress and bedding $136+ $25= $161
- tent cover $10
- house battery and Battery Isolator Relay $69 + $16= $85
- refrigerator $500, fan $135, solar shower & shower hose $50+19= $69
- other supplies $150
- 2 weeks of daily effort, or around 100 hours, is expected to complete the conversion.
- In the case of our latest Subaru Outback camper conversion, we took a different strategy, opting instead to use off-the-shelf parts to swiftly convert it into a camper in minutes rather than days, although the cost was much greater.
- It is the most cost-effective and easy method to go about in a camper van.
- Following these eight steps, you may transform your regular SUV into a full-time camper vehicle as well.
This post may contain affiliate links; for more information, please see the disclosure policy.Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Promaster Campervan Conversion Guide for Do-It-Yourselfers How to Make Enough Money to Travel Full-Time
What Are Conversion Vehicles? Are They Dangerous?
- Numerous car owners who have the financial means to do so take pleasure in personalizing their automobiles or ″converting″ them into repurposed transportation vehicles.
- Campers outfitted with captain’s chairs, vans equipped with wheelchair ramps, and any other vehicle that has had post-production modifications that affect the structural basis of the vehicle are examples of converted vehicles.
- Installing a new sound system in an existing car does not automatically classify it as a converted vehicle; however, adding scissor doors or a raised roof would qualify it as a conversion vehicle.
- Although a conversion may appear to be a good investment at first glance, it is important to consider the impact the conversion will have on the vehicle’s overall safety.
Following various modifications, the vehicle’s operation or impact absorption during an accident may be altered, possibly putting you and your fellow passengers in danger.
Safety Concerns with Converted Vehicles
- Automotive manufacturers must adhere to stringent restrictions imposed by the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, which is a federal statute that specifies the standards for every commercially-sold motor vehicle in the United States.
- In order for a vehicle to be crash-worthy, the manufacturer will design the car’s external paneling and inner components to be impact-resistant.
- When people modify automobiles for personal reasons, the modifications might cause the safety systems incorporated into the automobiles to become less effective or even non-existent.
- The conversion of an automobile with a higher roof, for example, may appear luxury and provide greater headroom, but it may not meet the same safety and performance criteria as the original design.
It is possible that the raised roof will detach from the car in an accident and expose those within to the elements or allow them to tumble out of the vehicle if it flips over.If you put fancy doors on your automobile, it’s possible that they could jam in the case of an accident, keeping you inside the vehicle.Unfortunately, conversion firms that make car modifications are not subject to the same laws as auto manufacturers, and the conversions they execute may represent a substantial safety hazard to the public.You should keep in mind that if you’ve altered your enormous van to include a fold-out bed and cabin area in preparation for a cross-country journey, you’re still driving, not living in it.Whenever the vehicle is in motion, all passengers should be properly restrained in their vehicle seats with their safety belts buckled.Another important consideration is that converting your car may cause an existing warranty from the manufacturer or dealership to be nullified.
Legal Options After an Injury in a Converted Vehicle
- Before paying for any form of change on your car, make sure you read the tiny print thoroughly.
- In the case of a car accident, the conversion business may employ out-of-date methods to complete the conversion, such as utilizing screws to install a new roof.
- These methods might result in significant injuries to the driver and passengers.
- After carefully reading the agreement, determine whether there are any waivers or releases of liability in the case of an accident that you should be aware of.
If you suffer injuries and seek to file a lawsuit against the corporation, the company may be able to use the release or waiver you signed against you in court.If you have been injured while riding in a conversion vehicle and your agreement with the firm that did the conversion contained a release of liability, don’t be too concerned about your legal rights.Your attorney can assist you in determining if your accident came within the scope of the responsibility release.However, liability releases and waivers are seldom upheld in court, so consult with an attorney before signing anything.Your Birmingham auto accident attorney can assist you in deciphering whether the conversion firm was negligent in the work done on your vehicle or in the installation of converted parts if you desire to bring a case following an injury caused by a converted vehicle.Despite the fact that conversion firms are not subject to the same restrictions as automobile manufacturers, they are nevertheless required to produce safe and effective goods that work as claimed and intended by the customer.
In the event that they fail to do so, affected consumers may be able to pursue personal injury lawsuits in order to receive compensation for their losses.
Question: What Is A Suv Equipped With A Conversion Package
When you use an SUV camper conversion kit, you can change your automobile into a campervan, eliminating the need for a tent totally from your camping experience. As a result of this ingenious concept, your car may be transformed into a smart place to stay while you’re heading out into the woods, complete with a bed and kitchen.
What is an SUV conversion package?
In this case, the conversion van is a full-sized cargo van that is sent to a third-party company to be furnished with numerous comforts in preparation for road trips and camping. As an alternative to a family van, it can refer to a full-size passenger van in which the rear seating has been reconfigured for usage as taxis, school buses, shuttle buses, and limousines.
Which SUV is best for camper conversion?
- Vehicles that may be converted into campers include the following: SUVs, crossovers, and pickup trucks.
- Honda Element is a mid-size sedan.
- The Honda Element has quickly risen to become one of the most popular vehicles to convert into a camper, whether it’s for full-time living or spontaneous camping vacations.
- Kia Sportage or Kia Soul are two options.
Subaru Outback or Subaru Forester are two excellent choices.Honda CR-V is a compact crossover vehicle.Ford Explorer is a vehicle manufactured by Ford.
How do I convert my SUV to camping?
Here’s How To Convert Your SUV Into A Camper in 8 Easy Steps. Step 1: Design the layout of the page. Creating a platform bed frame is the second step. Step 3: Put together the mattress. Step 4: Put together the tent cover. Installing a home battery is the fifth step. Install the refrigerator. Install a ceiling fan in your room. Make a solar-powered shower.
Why are conversion vans so expensive?
Camper vans are pricey because they are equipped with features that allow you to have a more comfortable camping experience. If, on the other hand, you are concerned about spending too much money, you may save money by making your own conversion van. Lower-priced camper vans from the manufacturer are available for between $60,000 and $100,000 in price.
Can you turn a car into a camper?
Turning your automobile into a camper with the help of a TentBox is a simple, no-fuss process that anybody can complete. Because you have a ready-made TentBox on your roof that can be easily removed at any moment, there is no need for you to bother about constructing anything or disassembling your vehicle.
What is a pickup with a conversion package?
In this case, the conversion van is a full-sized cargo van that is sent to a third-party company to be furnished with numerous comforts in preparation for road trips and camping. As an alternative to a family van, it can refer to a full-size passenger van in which the rear seating has been reconfigured for usage as taxis, school buses, shuttle buses, and limousines.
Do conversion vans have bathrooms?
Camper Vans with Bathrooms are available. Because of the limited space in camper vans and the relative availability of standard restrooms when traveling, the majority of camper vans do not have toilets. In a van constructed primarily for camping, it is recommended that you make your bathroom footprint as modest as possible.
Is a conversion van a Class B?
- The two are comparable in many respects, yet they are also very different.
- A Class B recreational vehicle (RV) is a vehicle that has been developed and manufactured from the ground up by a manufacturer for the particular purpose of camping.
- It is a conversion van when the inside has been modified from its original purpose for a specific function, such as for camping, from its original purpose.
What is the best used conversion van to buy?
Under $20,000, the best used vans for camper conversions may be found. The Ram ProMaster is the widest van available on the market. ( The Ford Transit is a popular choice among those who live their lives in vans. ( The Mercedes-Benz Sprinter, which has rear-wheel drive, is another popular van among those on a tight budget. ( A Chevy Express for less than $20,000 is not difficult to come by.
What is the best van to live in?
The 4 Vans to Get You Living on the Road Mercedes Sprinter. The Mercedes Benz Sprinter is considered the gold standard for van lifers and for good reason. Ford Transit. Sprinter Vans have propelled van life into the mainstream, but they are not the only option. Dodge Promaster. Nissan NV Cargo.
How long do conversion vans last?
According to official statistics and user input, Ford cargo vans have a service life of 250,000 to 300,000 km before they begin to break down. However, this is dependent on the type of job you do with the vehicle and how well it is maintained.
What is a BraunAbility conversion?
BraunAbility designs and engineers accessible wheelchair van conversions for the most popular vehicles on the road. A handicap conversion van (also known as a mobility van or a wheelchair van) is the name given to a vehicle that has been particularly built to make it accessible to people who use wheelchairs.
Are conversion vans still a thing?
Conversion vans were never widely available, but they were certainly popular enough that you could expect to see them on the road on a regular basis at the time. Conversion vans, on the other hand, have virtually gone off the road and are exceedingly difficult to come across.
Can you convert an SUV into a camper?
- The QuQuQ module allows you to convert your SUV into a camper in about 5 minutes.
- Using this QuQuQ modular system, you can transform your SUV into a camper in a matter of minutes.
- At first glance, the QuQuQ appears to be a box, but when you pull on the handle, it expands into a bed.
- Parts of the box may be pulled out to allow you to get to your portable refrigerator and camping stove more easily.
What is a conversion vehicle?
An aftermarket conversion is a modification to a vehicle or engine that allows it to run on a different fuel or power source. When gasoline engines are adapted to run on alternate fuels, these vehicles are referred to as conversions. Vehicles that are already in use can also be converted in a similar way to newer models. Models, fuels, and technology differ from one another.
How much does a new conversion van cost?
New conversion vans can range in price from around $38,000 to over $75,000. Used models will be substantially less expensive than new models.
Why do they call it a conversion van?
Extended road trips are made feasible by recreational vehicles and sport utility vehicles. With that stated, an amazing concept known as the conversion van was responsible for opening the way for recreational vehicles. Consequently, individuals began to ″transform″ conventional vans into a specific sort of vehicle that was tailored to their own requirements.
When did they stop making conversion vans?
Both the full-size Dodge Ram van and the Ford E-Series van, which were formerly popular with customizers and converters, have since been phased out–the Ram Van was phased out after 2003, while the E-Series van was phased out after 2014.
These are the best vans for a camper conversion
- As a result of the epidemic, more people are choosing to spend their vacation time in the United Kingdom, driving up the cost of lodging.
- Is there a solution?
- In a campervan, you may go about and take advantage of the wonderful outdoors.
- Another, even more affordable option is to convert your existing vehicle.
Conversion camper vans are available for purchase in a range of configurations.However, selecting the ideal vehicles for a campervan conversion might be a difficult task.That is why we are here to assist you.Examine a few of the top vehicles for camper conversion projects that are now available.Not to mention that Motors.co.uk has an integrated van search tool – so check it out here and start hunting for your next camper conversion right now.
Things to consider when buying a van for a camper conversion
- If you’re on the hunt for the best van for camper conversions, you’ll want to consider a few factors before making your final decision.
- What is your financial situation?
- What kind of floor area do you require?
- Is it vital to you to have a van that is small enough to park easily?
You’ll also want to think about things like electrical systems.Will your camper van conversion function as if it were a home away from home for you and your family?If this is the case, you’ll want to be certain that the camper van has enough outlets and electricity to accommodate activities like as powering your refrigerator and charging your laptop.Furthermore, you’ll need to consider how the electricity will be supplied.Is it more convenient for you to charge the vehicle at home?Alternatively, you might choose to recharge your batteries at the campgrounds you visit.
Another concern is the heating system.Small log burners are inexpensive, simple to use, and easy to install, but diesel heaters are quick to heat and take up very little room in a vehicle’s interior.Don’t forget to take into consideration your water consumption.
- Do you intend to shower and wash the pots on a daily basis?
- In comparison, under-the-sink water tanks are straightforward to use and install, but underslung water containers are more difficult to install but may hold far more water.
- And, of course, take a moment to reflect on your daily activities.
- Is it necessary to have a toilet in your vehicle or can you use the campground facilities?
- Is it necessary to have a permanent bed in situ, or would a bed that can be folded away to free up more room be preferable?
- No matter if you’re looking for the best tiny van for camper conversion or the best inexpensive van for camper conversion, it’s much easier to make a decision once you know what you’re trying to accomplish.
Best large vans for a camper conversion
Large campervans are ideal if you’re traveling with a large group of people or if you just want more room. They are, on the other hand, both more expensive and more difficult to drive than smaller cars. Due to the fact that they are difficult to park on driveways, you will have to figure in additional storage charges.
- This boxy, award-winning van is available in four vehicle lengths and three roof heights
- it is also available in two-wheel drive.
- Introducing the Volkswagen Crafter, Volkswagen’s largest vehicle, which has a plethora of safety features and exceptional riding comfort.
- The Iveco Daily is a big yet lightweight van that is equipped with various safety systems.
- In addition to offering plenty of cargo room, the Relay is available in a variety of three wheelbases, three different roof heights, and four different body lengths
- Fiat Ducato: The Ducato is a dependable and inexpensive vehicle that earns credit for its smooth running and hauling capability.
- Peugeot Boxer: The Peugeot Boxer is a robust and easy-to-drive vehicle that is versatile, capacious, and comfortable.
Best medium vans for a camper conversion
- Looking for a solution that offers the best of both worlds?
- We can assist you in locating the most suitable medium vehicle for camper conversions.
- Their additional room frequently allows for the installation of a shower and/or toilet, and they are less expensive to operate and park than bigger vans.
- Parking on driveways and in multi-story car parks, on the other hand, may still be difficult.
- It is a durable and trustworthy vehicle. The Ford Transit is a well-built van that is easy to operate.
- Renault Master: Renault’s biggest van is a comfortable vehicle to operate and is available in a variety of lengths and heights.
- The Vauxhall Movano, which was introduced in 1998, is a comfortable, agile, and smooth-driving vehicle.
- Citroen Relay: The Relay is a popular and economical drive because it is both durable and adaptable.
- Fiat Ducato: This reliable vehicle has a low cost of ownership and a high level of dependability.
- Peugeot Boxer: This long-lasting, multi-purpose vehicle is large, sturdy, and cost-effective.
- A robust, but simple vehicle, the LDV Convoy Minibus is a low-cost and cheery alternative.
Best small vans for a camper conversion
- Small vans provide fewer of the home amenities associated with bigger vans, owing to their smaller size and lower load capacity.
- If you’re traveling alone or with a partner, on the other hand, you’ll appreciate their lower fuel consumption and ease of handling on the road.
- Choosing the ideal tiny van for camper conversion will be vital if you plan on parking in your driveway.
- Read on if you’re a campervan fan in the United Kingdom searching for something tiny.
- Transporter by Volkswagen: With a powerful engine and loads of safety technology, the Transporter is a comfortable vehicle to drive.
- Renault Trafic: The Trafic is a comfortable and inexpensive compact van that also happens to be one of the most roomy on the market.
- Peugeot Expert: The Peugeot Expert is a secure and comfortable van that is both practical and efficient.
- Ford Transit Custom: The Ford Transit Custom is a flexible vehicle that comes in a variety of configurations.
Best extra small vans for a camper conversion
Extra tiny campervans are more adaptable since they are easier to park, smoother to manage, and less expensive to purchase and operate than larger vehicles. You will not, however, receive as much equipment as you would with larger vehicles, and you will have difficulty comfortable accommodating more than two passengers.
- In addition to being more adaptable, extra compact campervans are simpler to park, smoother to drive, and less expensive to purchase and operate. Although you will receive less equipment than you would with a larger vehicle, you will have difficulty accommodating more than two passengers comfortably.
Best cheap vans for a camper conversion
Cheap vans are ideal if you’re on a tight budget or simply want to utilize your van on a few occasions a year. Even the greatest inexpensive vehicle for camper conversions, however, will be lacking in the equipment and modern technology that are found in more costly models.
- Ford Transit: The most popular van in the United Kingdom is economical, trustworthy, and inexpensive to repair if something goes wrong
- Citroen Berlingo: The Berlingo is a low-cost vehicle to own and operate, yet it provides comfort and excellent value.
- LDV Convoy Minibus: Although this is a simple van with few frills, it is inexpensive to purchase and quite sturdy
- In addition to being one of the most fuel-efficient vans available, the Fiat Ducato also has a low CO2 emissions rating.
- Make a list of the qualities that are most essential to you before you begin searching at conversion camper vans for sale.
- It’s possible that the VW Caddy is the greatest little van for camper conversion because of its versatility.
- Alternatively, if you’re on a tight budget, the Citroen Berlingo and Ford Transit are also strong competitors for the title of best inexpensive van for camper conversion, respectively.
- If you follow our recommendations, you’ll soon discover the finest vans for campervan conversions that are suitable for your budget and way of life.
Have a great time camping!
New vs. Used Conversion Vans: Which is right for you?
- So you’ve done your homework and discovered that nothing beats a conversion van when it comes to combining luxury with the excitement of adventure.
- You can enjoy many of the advantages of an RV without the trouble of parking and the high cost of ownership.
- A conversion van is the perfect vehicle for you.
- Its adaptability is unparalleled, and it has a plethora of features to offer!
It may be used as a family vehicle, a travel van, or a luxurious trip.Where do you begin your search when you have all of this convenience rolled into one convenient package?The first question that is normally asked is if the customer is searching for a used or new conversion van.There are a plethora of elements to consider before answering this question.Conversion vans that have been previously used:
GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Ltd. Conversion Van: Used
- Used conversion vans have a great deal to offer potential customers, and they are quite likely the finest value on the used automobile market.
- The fact that the original owners of these cars invested so much time and effort into their adaptations means that they are frequently maintained with a high level of care.
- Buyers of secondhand conversion vans are sometimes taken aback by the high level of quality found in these pre-owned vehicles.
- With that in mind, it’s crucial to realize that these well-loved vans frequently have a lot of miles on them.
Conversion vans are the best buddy of everyone who enjoys road trips.No matter if you’re traveling across the nation or up and down the coast, conducting thorough research on used conversion vans with a low number of kilometers can pay you in the end.Although you may be happy to discover a fantastic deal on a used conversion van, it is vital to consider that maintenance expenses may increase as a result of the lower price.When purchasing a used van, it is also important to evaluate the extras available.The higher the price tag on a used van, the more bells and whistles it comes equipped with.It is critical that you choose exactly what you want your conversion van to have in its equipment list.
When it comes to purchasing a used conversion van, prices can range from extremely low to fairly costly.This is a personal decision depending on your requirements and what you hope to achieve from your car.If you’re looking for an extra vehicle that will be used mostly for travel multiple times during the year, you may discover a used Conversion van that will meet all of your vacation demands while remaining within your budget.
- For those considering using their van as a multifunctional family vehicle, you will be surprised at how simple it is to find a high quality, lower mileage van at a terrific price when contrasted with SUV’s and minivans.
|2006 Savana 1500 Explorer Ltd.Conversion|
|Warranty||90 Days or 4,500 miles|
|Vehicle Traction||2 wheel back|
|Upgrades||26″ Flat Screen, Chrome Alloy Wheels|
|Interior Color||Gray Leather|
New Conversion Vans:
Chevrolet Express 1500 Explorer Van: New, Super Sale Priced
- The more recent the van, the more up-to-date the technologies and fuel economy your vehicle will have.
- Because of the rising cost of gasoline, new 2014 and 2015 models are fitted with fuel-saving technologies, which might be an excellent investment.
- The possibilities for personalization are virtually limitless!
- It is possible to customize your van to meet your unique requirements with flat screen television, blue ray player, state-of-the-art gaming console, couch bed, or any combination of these features.
Our custom-made conversion vans are created just for you.Select the van conversion, chassis, color, and extras that best suit your needs.Aside from the customization options available with a new conversion van, maintenance expenses will be a less important consideration when making your decision.New Conversion vans are frequently accompanied by comprehensive warranties, which relieve the customer of any anxiety linked with maintenance difficulties.If you or a member of your family is in need of a wheelchair ramp or lift, a new conversion van will provide the best level of quality, convenience, and accessibility available on the market.
|2014 Explorer Limited X.S.E|
|Warranty||Factory warranty, Extensive|
|Vehicle Traction||2 wheel back|
|Upgrades||26′ HDTV, blue ray, heated seats, L.E.D driving lights|
- When it comes to purchasing a conversion van, the options are virtually endless.
- The most crucial aspects to consider will be conducting thorough research and identifying your specific requirements.
- Whether you’re buying new or used, shop with a dealer you can rely on.
- As a company that has been in the conversion van market for more than 30 years, Classic Vans is an excellent choice for your needs.
Visit our inventory and have a look at our large range of new conversion