In the context of seized shipping packages, the term “seizure” refers to the act of physical possession of a shipped item or the transfer of control or custody from the package owner to the state or federal government.
What happens if my package is seized during shipping?
Typical packages that encounter being seized during shipping by the law enforcement agencies, include: If you have had a package seized that contains controlled substances such as marijuana, cocaine, or a prescription drug, it is best not to contact the agency which has taken the package.
What should I do if my package is lost or stolen?
Local law enforcement, FBI, DEA. Then contact them and see what happened. The package could have been mistaken for another. Maybe it is evidence in a crime, like it was illegally shipped, manufactured, or some other obscure law was broken.
Can law enforcement seize a package for no reason?
Law enforcement generally does not seize packages for no reason. Most likely the package contained illegal contraband. As has been said, get a lawyer. Don’t take a chance. The legal issues may involve more than the package contents. The USPS still falls under the jurisdiction of postal inspectors and Federal law.
What To Do If Your Package Is Seized During Shipping
In addition to serving clients in the state of California, Asset Forfeiture Attorney is a top rated asset seizure and forfeiture defense legal practice that services clients throughout the United States.The attorneys at the company have extensive experience in assisting clients in the recovery of confiscated assets and forfeited property in both criminal and civil litigation.The attorneys are well-versed in state and federal legislation, and they have handled instances involving the recovery of confiscated FedEx, UPS, and United States Postal Service goods.There may be defense measures available to fight the seizure of the package and prevent it from being lost for good.Always consult with an attorney before speaking with the police or any other investigator.
- If you do not have an experienced asset forfeiture attorney on your side, the legal processes of asset seizure may be difficult and complicated, and you may wind up surrendering your rights as a result of not knowing what you are doing.
- Contact us right away if you want individual representation!
What is the “Seizure of Shipping Packages” and When Does it Happen?
- The term ″seizure″ refers to the act of taking physical possession of a delivered item or the transfer of control or custody from the package owner to the state or federal government in the context of seized shipping items. If a law enforcement official or police officer has ″reasonable suspicion″ that the parcel is connected to criminal conduct, they can complete this task. The major reason for confiscating items during transportation is to prevent any potential criminal or unlawful conduct from taking place within the United States. If a shipping cargo is seized for any of the following reasons, it is considered a felony. The package contains items and profits that were obtained illegally
- the package contains evidence of an offense
- the package contains items that were processed unlawfully or that were contraband
- the package contains properties that were used in criminal activity
- and the package contains items that were processed unlawfully or that were contraband.
When You Are Importing Packages From a Foreign Country
It is referred to as ″importation″ when items or shipments are sent from any foreign nation to the United States and are referred to as ″importation.″ The shipping packages must pass through the proper inspection procedures and must be in compliance with the import rules and regulations of the state and federal governments, which can be convoluted and difficult to understand.Any items or shipments that are forbidden or restricted from importation from foreign sources, or that require an import permission, may be held in custody by the United States Customs and Border Protection.Not only should you be aware of what is permissible, but you should also be familiar with the procedures for importing items in the proper manner.All packages destined for international transportation must be accompanied by an attached Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Declaration, which must include a thorough and detailed description of the goods being shipped.Adding information to your shopping cart when purchasing something from an online vendor includes the seller’s name and address, the amount of items sent, the purchase price in U.S.
- dollars, the weight of each item, and the country of origin.
- Many shipping packages and items of commerce are scrutinized, detained, or confiscated from the hands of United States Customs and other law enforcement agents during routine inspections conducted at airports, seaports, and other border crossing points.
- It is possible for shipping packages to be confiscated at the ″port″ if they have been transported unlawfully (by failing to adhere to all applicable laws and regulations) or if their customs taxes have been paid erroneously.
- Importers of prohibited or illegal commodities may be detained and imprisoned if they are found to be engaged in the transportation of such items in such circumstances.
If you believe that your package has been unlawfully confiscated or if you have received a notice of seizure from the Fines, Penalties, and Forfeitures (FP&F) office, you should obtain legal counsel as soon as possible.Most of the time, a seizure notice is sent to the suspected violation, and it comprises information about what and where the cargo has been confiscated in addition to information about the legal grounds for the seizure.If you have any further questions or concerns concerning the confiscated package, you should contact the FP&F office at the precise U.S.port of entry where the product was seized, using the seizure number on the package.
It is possible to challenge a seizure by filing an administration petition with the Customs Service within 30 days of receiving the seizure notice if you believe that U.S.Customs & Border Protection did not have the legal authority to seize your shipping items or that your shipping items should not have been seized.In the end, a court hearing will be held in which the Customs department will be required to establish that the seizure was valid.The burden of evidence is on you in this case to demonstrate that the shipping cargo has been duly taxed and complies with all applicable laws and regulations.
Depending on the outcome of the petition, U.S.Customs will either authorize release of the confiscated shipping package or reject the petition and decide not to release the seized shipping package at all.If you have been subjected to a seizure procedure, you must draw lessons from the experience and ensure that any future cargo shipments are in compliance with all applicable rules and regulations based on the goods being sent, prior to importing into the United States.It is possible that adhering to applicable rules and regulations will reduce the likelihood of future seizure or detention of items by Customs.
Types of Seized Shipping Packages That Typically Get Seized
Cash and currency are among the packages that may be seized by police authorities when being shipped through courier services such as FedEx, UPS, and USPS.Money and other valuables are routinely seized by law enforcement and police officers who intercept parcels containing money or other valuables.However, authorities will typically keep to their convenient notion that the money is being sent for or to support criminal activities, regardless of the purpose for sending it through an insured shipment.Every year, law enforcement forfeits cash and currency worth hundreds of thousands of thousands of thousands of dollars.Controlled substances such as marijuana, cocaine, and prescription drugs are prohibited.
- It is advised not to call any authority to enquire about the status of a cargo if it has already been determined that it has been confiscated by law enforcement authorities.
- Due to the fact that it is unlawful to transmit narcotics through any government or private carrier, doing so will almost certainly result in an inquiry or arrest.
- In the case of prescription medicines, you may choose to consult with an experienced attorney to see whether you may submit a claim to recover your money.
- Firearms, ammunition, and explosives are all prohibited.
Despite the fact that all major shipping carriers, such as FedEx, UPS, and the United States Postal Service, have specific federal and state regulations that must be followed when shipping firearms, such packages are considered dangerous goods and are sometimes seized to ensure that a proper check is performed.
FedEx, UPS, USPS Processes in Checking And Seizing Packages
Shipments and deliveries inside the United States should be handled by either the United States Postal Service or a commercial carrier, such as UPS or FedEx, depending on the nature of the shipment and the destination.While the standards and restrictions for what may be delivered are mostly the same, there are some exceptions.For example, commercial carriers such as FedEx and UPS are permitted to send munitions, but the United States Postal Service is not.
Using the United States Postal Service (USPS)
The United States Postal Service (USPS) is a federal government entity that provides bulk mail and volume shipping services to small and big enterprises..Because it is a federal government entity, it is required to adhere to federal regulations.Additionally, because they are federal government employees, U.S.postal workers are required to get a search warrant based on probable cause before they may inspect a package for narcotics.In addition, the United States Postal Service has its own specific squad of postal inspectors and procedures for inspecting items sent through the mail.
- When it comes to conducting drug parcel investigations, the USPS employees collaborate with state and municipal drug task teams.
- According to the United States Postal Inspection Service, first-class letters and parcels are protected against search and seizure by the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution; as a result, such things are not permitted to be examined in the absence of a search warrant.
- A warrant can be issued to the investigators if the reasonable cause of suspicion is stated in the warrant.
- Because the United States Postal Service (USPS) affords certain protections against the practice of search and seizure, it is typically seen as a safe and favored method of distributing narcotics among people who mail packages.
The USPS, on the other hand, has the authority to get a search warrant if a shipment is deemed suspicious.Despite the fact that marijuana is legal in California, it is still a crime under 18 U.S.Code 1716 to send marijuana by the United States Postal Service, even if the package is sent within the state’s borders.
Using Private Third-Party Carriers
Private carriers, such as UPS, FedEx, and DHL, are not federal government agents, and so do not require a search warrant if they suspect that a shipment is tampered with or otherwise suspicious.According to the Supreme Court, delivering products through a third-party private carrier nullifies any reasonable expectation of privacy that a customer could have.They do not normally consider shipping parcels to be ″private,″ and they reserve the right to open and inspect shipments at their own discretion if they so choose.There have been cases in which a shipping package has been searched immediately and without justification because of a suspicion about the contents of the shipment.Suppose a private third-party shipping business, such as FedEx, discovers that a box includes suspect items, such as cash, ammunition, or illegal narcotics such as cannabis or prescription medicines, they can suspend the shipment’s usual transportation cycle and notify the appropriate law enforcement agency.
- Private enterprises collaborate with federal law enforcement organizations in order to combat the unlawful trafficking of prohibited drugs through the postal system.
- Generally speaking, law enforcement officials are trained to collaborate with police K-9 canines to detect forbidden or restricted items at private third-party shipping facilities in order to identify suspect parcels carrying narcotics or explosives, among other things.
- Over time, some K-9 canines may even be taught to detect the scent of banknotes and other forms of money.
- If a K-9 notifies law enforcement or police officers to the presence of suspect items within a vehicle because it detects the smell of the suspicious contents, the police will remove the vehicle and personally investigate it.
If additional research reveals a high chance of the presence of forbidden or restricted content, the device is opened and confiscated by law enforcement officials.
Legal Processes to Get Your Seized Packages Back
In the event that your shipping cargo is confiscated, you must immediately call police enforcement.However, unless you are accompanied by an attorney, you should never meet or speak with a police officer or investigator alone for the purpose of questioning.It’s not that you have anything to conceal, but everything you say might be used against you in court and only serve to aggravate the situation.Keep in mind that the cops are not meant to be your buddy or to assist you in any manner at any time.They aim to launch lawsuits, confiscate things that have been unlawfully imported or exported, and arrest individuals.
- It is a great decision to have an experienced defense attorney by your side to ensure that you do not say anything that might be used against you later by law enforcement officers.
- Returning your confiscated shipping products may be a stressful and time-consuming process that is frequently hampered by administrative delays.
- Obtaining legal assistance and proceeding step by step in order to regain your confiscated parcels is the most effective method of approaching this situation.
Report a Petition
In consultation with an experienced attorney, you must submit a claim for the preservation of rights against a confiscated parcel from the United States Postal Service, UPS, or FedEx.A claim of this nature can be brought against the relevant law enforcement agency.The first requirement is that you or anybody else submitting a claim must have a legitimate interest in the confiscated package; this implies that the claimant cannot file a claim on behalf of another else.Second, it is critical for you to identify whether the seizure will be handled by local, state, or federal government officials, depending on the circumstances.This determination is critical because there are certain standards to follow based on who will be in charge of the seizure procedure and how long the process will take.
- It is possible that even the most little deviation from a lawful statutory requirement might be the difference between getting your confiscated property returned and losing it for good.
- The necessity of proceeding with an expert asset forfeiture defense attorney on your side is underscored by such tight adherence to legislative criteria.
Investigating the Case
Throughout the investigation process, your specialized attorney will look into all areas of the claim in order to construct a solid defense on your behalf.Your attorney’s investigative team will try to find any necessary witnesses, needed shipping papers, and other evidence so that you may provide a strong representation of your case in court.Imagine if you were meant to receive a box containing money, but it was intercepted and confiscated by police who work with K-9s who are trained to detect drugs.If the K-9 alerts to the presence of the package, the police may allege that the cash package must have been stored in close proximity to substantial quantities of narcotics for a reasonable amount of time in order to confiscate the cash package.Even though there is no apparent method to contest a K-9’s smell, the police want you to take their word for it.
- With the use of lawful bank records, withdrawal receipts, and other documentation, your attorney can effectively disprove the K-9’s alarm (sniff!) In a similar vein, K-9 dog alerts can be called into doubt by looking at other sources as well.
- It is possible that a comprehensive investigation will uncover all of the pieces of evidence in your favor, which will allow your attorney to put together an effective defense and take the next legal step toward recovering your confiscated package.
Settlement with Negotiations
Once the investigation team has completed a thorough investigation, your attorney will be able to pin down every piece of evidence in order to construct a case theory.Your attorney will participate in settlement discussions with the government armed with the evidence that is now available to him or her.The majority of cases are resolved at this phase; some will be resolved after they have gone through the trial system.The evidence gathered in your case, as well as your actions as a defendant, may determine whether your case is settled or goes to trial.The degree of competence your attorney possesses will determine how successfully they are able to develop evidence, construct a cohesive case theory, and execute a successful litigation plan on your behalf.
You have the right to request a jury trial in order to settle your shipping package seizure issue in both California and Federal courts.In such circumstances, the prosecution (the government) has the burden of proof and is required to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that the confiscated package was or might be used in the commission of a criminal act before the case may be dismissed (90 percent or more).In Federal Courts, the government’s standard of proof is very low, but they must still demonstrate that the confiscated shipping box contains the profits of a crime, evidence of an offense, contraband, or property utilized in criminal conduct in order to be released.It is necessary to prove a fact in Federal court by a ″preponderance of the evidence″ (51 percent or more), which means that the judges must conclude that the existence of a fact is more likely than that it does not exist.
Find an Asset Forfeiture Attorney for Seized Shipping Package Cases Near Me
If you have experienced the confiscation of shipping items while in transit by a private carrier (such as FedEx or UPS) or a federal government carrier (such as the USPS), you should get legal advice from an experienced attorney such as Asset Forfeiture Attorney.The expertise and experience necessary to defend your property seizure and fight back against unjust seizure cases are available to you through our asset forfeiture attorneys in California and around the United States.In the event that your items have been seized, whether you are the importer or the exporter, our team of attorneys is well-versed in preparing strong defenses and ensuring that you receive successful representation in issues involving the seizure of shipping shipments.If you suspect your shipping package was wrongfully taken or if you wish to file a lawsuit to get your confiscated items returned, call us at 888-571-5590 to organize a free, no-obligation consultation as soon as possible to discuss your legal options with an experienced attorney.In order to avoid an unfair prosecution at the federal or state level, we are dedicated to assisting our clients!
What to Do When Your Packages are Seized Before They Arrive at Your Home?
When a person’s property is taken away, it is referred to as asset forfeiture.It is a type of criminal justice that is often used to confiscate suspected profits of crime.This procedure is employed in a variety of terrorist activities and drug-related crimes, but it may also be applied to other criminal and civil acts as well.Aiming to halt unlawful conduct by seizing assets believed to be useful to an organization or individual engaged in illicit activity, asset forfeiture was established to prevent further illegal action from occurring.It has been common practice for police officers to abuse asset forfeiture laws, resulting in many innocent persons losing their vehicles as well as cash and real estate even if they have never been prosecuted or convicted of a crime.
- The process has become fundamentally defective, allowing both state and federal entities to undertake seizures that are driven by profit rather than by the pursuit of criminal justice goals.
- If you have lost property or money as a result of asset forfeiture, you will require the services of an Asset Forfeiture Attorney to fight for the return of your assets.
- Regaining possession of your property after it has been seized may be challenging, and you will want legal assistance to navigate this system.
- Asset forfeiture can be triggered even if you receive a parcel in the mail that you have never opened or even had control of.
How does it feel when your package is intercepted before it reaches your doorstep?
Seizure of Shipped Packages
- An item being seized refers to the act of physically seizing custody of an item that has been transported, as opposed to transferring ownership of the package to its owner or the person it was intended for delivery to. It is the act of transferring control of a transported object from the owner to the federal or state governments. If police or other government agencies have’reasonable suspicion’ that a shipment is related to suspected criminal conduct, they can’seize’ it from the shipping agency (such as the United States Postal Service, FedEx, UPS, or other delivery firms). While the seizure should be made throughout the shipping process, the ultimate goal should be to prevent any suspected unlawful activity from taking place in the nation. The following are some of the reasons that officials can use to confiscate a shipment that has been shipped: He or she believes the package contains illegally obtained profits or items
- they believe the package contains evidence of an offense
- they have reason to believe the package contains items that are considered contraband or that have been processed unlawfully
- they believe the contents of the package contains property used in criminal activity
- they believe the package contains evidence of an offense
Case of a Man Who has Cash Seized through Asset Forfeiture
A guy in Greenville, South Carolina, was attempting to repay a favor to a buddy who had helped him out financially when he was at his lowest moment in life.This buddy had helped him get back on his feet by lending him money, and he wanted to repay the favor to this guy who was now in need of his assistance.Mr.Hamer agreed to lend his buddy $6,000, but he was adamant about not sending cash via the postal service.In talking with the postal office about his alternatives, they suggested him to acquire money orders in order to transfer the appropriate amount to his buddy.
- Because the United States Postal Service could not guarantee next-day delivery at the time, he chose to send the money via FedEx so that his buddy would get it on Saturday, the next business day.
- As soon as the money failed to arrive at his friends’ doorsteps the next day, Mr.
- Hamer phoned FedEx to enquire about the status of his cargo, only to discover that his box had been confiscated as part of a legal procedure known as civil asset forfeiture.
- The police requested that the money be forfeited to their department two weeks after it was taken, and after Mr.
Hamer’s counsel had produced a letter of explanation for the monies, the court granted the police’s request.According to the evidence in the case, police investigated a package from Mr.Hamer that was being sent to Mr.Black with a Washington state address – They claimed that the phone number listed on the package had either been disconnected or was illegitimate – The parcel had its ends taped and glued down – The package contained a coffee bag and a vacuum-sealed container containing money orders totaling $6,000 – They claimed that the packaging on this shipment was overdone and included padding of – They concluded that because the sender paid for delivery in cash and was using money orders, it was done in order to prevent a ‘paper trail.’ They were correct.
Mr.Hamer was able to disprove every piece of evidence.He had documentation proving that he had paid for the delivery with his credit card rather than with cash.He had a receipt for the money orders, which included his ‘working’ phone number, which he had used twice to contact the Greenville police, as well as a receipt for the money orders he had purchased.
There was no use of a coffee bag or foam insulation in the packaging, and there was no vacuum-sealing of the box or excessive tapping of the item during shipping.In light of the fact that the police had already filed a complaint for forfeiture, Mr.Hamer was forced to contest the allegation in civil court.Mr.Hamer had to wait six weeks before he could get his hands on ‘his’ money, which arrived with an apology but no explanation.
- This instance illustrates how easy government authorities or police departments may confiscate your box from the delivery service before you have a chance to take ownership of it, and how difficult it can be to get it returned to you once it has been taken away from you.
- No evidence of your involvement in criminal conduct or that the item is connected to an unlawful event is required; all they want is a ″reasonable suspicion″ of your involvement.
- The process of asset forfeiture is difficult, and you will require the assistance of an Asset Forfeiture Attorney in order to reclaim what is legally yours.
Seizure of Imported Packages Before They Arrive at Your Home
If things are delivered from another country to the United States, they are referred to as ‘imported’ parcels or products in the United States.These packages will be subjected to a thorough inspection and must be in compliance with all applicable federal and state regulations and guidelines.These guidelines are both perplexing and difficult to understand.A package or products that are forbidden or restricted from importing from a foreign source, or that require a permission in order to enter the nation, can be taken (seized) by the United States Customs and Border Protection (US Customs and Border Protection).Knowing what things are permitted to enter the nation through the shipping procedure, as well as how these items are permitted to be transported, falls under your obligation as the shipper.
- Packages destined for overseas shipping must be accompanied by a Customs and Border Protection Declaration from the United States.
- It is necessary for you to offer a thorough and clear explanation of what is contained within the package in this statement.
- If the item is being purchased from an online merchant, it must include the seller’s name and address, as well as the number of goods being purchased, the price in U.S.
- dollars, the nation from where it is being shipped, and the weight of the item.
United States Customs and Border Declaration
The Customs and Border Protection department of the United States is in charge of keeping the country secure from the illicit introduction of forbidden commodities.The form, CBP 6059B, is intended to notify passengers arriving in the United States that bringing items into the country that may infringe on intellectual property rights may expose them to criminal or civil fines, as well as posing substantial health and safety concerns to themselves and others.A high-risk sector for the United States economy is represented by intellectual property rights, which may also pose a threat to the safety and health of the American people if they are infringed upon.Every day, a large number of shipping shipments and items are inspected, detained, or confiscated by United States Customs and Border Protection or other law enforcement agents.These inspections are carried out at seaports, airports, and other locations where the United States’ border with Mexico is crossed.
- Packages being delivered to the United States may be confiscated at the ‘port of entry’ into the country if they have been unlawfully carried or if their customs charges have not been properly paid.
- When an illicit or prohibited item is imported, the importer may be arrested and imprisoned as a result of their involvement in the shipment of the item.
- The Asset Forfeiture Attorney should be contacted if you have received a notice of seizure from the Office of Fines, Penalties, and Deficiencies.
- These letters are often delivered to someone who has been accused of violating the law, and they contain details on what was confiscated and where it was located.
It is also important to provide the legal reason for the seizure of your shipment in the notification.Having an Asset Forfeiture Attorney on your side can assist you in preparing to retrieve your item as well as advising you on the procedures to be followed while dealing with the Office of Fines, Penalties, and Forfeitures (FP&F).If you believe that the seizure was illegal and that the United States Customs and Border Protection has no legal claim to your shipping products, you may choose to file an administrative petition to overturn the seizure.To begin this procedure, contact an Asset Forfeiture Attorney as soon as possible, since you only have thirty days from the date of receipt of the notification to submit this petition with the court.
A court trial will follow the filing of the petition, during which the Customs department will be required to demonstrate that it has the legal authority to confiscate your item or goods.It will be your job in court to demonstrate that the shipment’s duty was paid and that the package was sent in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.The court will then determine whether or not to release your confiscated things, or whether or not to reject your petition and keep your package.The best strategy to avoid this type of seizure situation is to ensure that you are in compliance with all applicable rules and laws pertaining to the importation of products into the United States.
The following are examples of shipments that have been intercepted by law enforcement agents while in the shipping process:
A shipment containing controlled narcotics, such as marijuana, cocaine, or an over-the-counter prescription medication has been confiscated; it is recommended that you do not contact the agency that seized the item.Because it is prohibited to transport narcotics through private or government carriers, contacting the agency about such a package might result in an arrest and/or an investigation.If the delivery contains prescription medicine, you should consult with an Asset Forfeiture Attorney to see whether you have any legal recourse to get custody of the cargo.
Currency or Cash
Police officers and other law enforcement authorities routinely take currency or money that has been transferred through the mail.It is possible to transfer money through an insured shipment for a variety of reasons; however, authorities often use the justification that there is grounds to assume that it is being delivered to help in illegal activities.It is estimated that millions of dollars are taken through asset forfeiture every year as a result of this erroneous assumption.Asset Forfeiture Attorneys might be necessary if money was confiscated from your possession throughout the shipping procedure before it reached your destination.
Explosives, Ammunition, or Firearms
When it comes to delivering weapons, major shipping companies such as UPS, the United States Postal Service, and FedEx are subject to certain state and federal rules and laws.These parcels, on the other hand, are considered dangerous commodities and are frequently confiscated in order to guarantee a thorough inspection.If you have followed all of the proper laws and regulations for shipping a firearm and your firearm has been confiscated as a result of asset forfeiture, you should consult with an Asset Forfeiture Attorney.We are familiar with the regulations governing these seizures and will assist you in obtaining legal possession of your property.In the event that you have a package that has to be transported or shipped within the United States, you should use the United States Postal Service or a private carrier, such as FedEx or UPS.
- There are some similarities in the regulations and rules between the two, but there are some variances as well.
- One distinction is that the Postal Service is not permitted to carry ammunition, although carriers such as FedEx or UPS are permitted to do so under certain conditions.
Using the United States Post Office to Ship Packages
The United States Postal Service is a government-run organization that provides a wide range of volume and bulk shipping options.These services include both small and big shipping services to a wide range of various enterprises, as well as international shipping services.The fact that it is a federal government entity necessitates that it adhere to federal regulations, which include the need that federal government officials working there have probable cause to inspect a shipment for narcotics.Unlike other shipping services, this one has its own team of trained postal inspectors that follow a certain protocol while inspecting shipments.When it comes to conducting drug parcel investigations, the United States Postal Service works in collaboration with local drug task teams.
- According to the United States Postal Investigation Service, first-class mail and parcels are protected from search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment of the United States Constitution.
- The presence of this precaution prevents such shipments from being opened in the absence of a search warrant.
- A search warrant, on the other hand, can be granted if the investigators determine that there is ‘probable cause’ for suspicion.
- Many people favor this method of transporting drugs because of the security it provides from search and seizure processes; nonetheless, the Post Office can get a search warrant if they suspect a package is suspicious in nature.
However, even if marijuana is legal in the state of California, sending marijuana through the United States Post Office is still considered a felony under 18 U.S.Code 1716, even if the package is being sent inside California’s territorial limits.
Using Third-Party Private Carriers for Shipping Packages
Private carriers such as DHL, FedEx, and UPS are not federal government entities, and as a result, they are not required to get a search warrant in order to inspect shipments if they believe they contain suspicious materials.By employing a third-party carrier, the Supreme Court has ruled that you have forfeited your reasonable expectation of privacy.There have been instances where packages have been shipped through a third-party carrier and inappropriate searches have been carried out on the packages.Third-party shipping companies are permitted to remove packages from the regular transportation cycle if they have reasonable grounds to think that the shipment includes questionable items such as cash, munitions, or narcotics.They will subsequently report their concerns to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
- The vast majority of commercial shipping businesses work in partnership with federal law enforcement agencies to combat the unlawful trafficking of narcotics through shipping.
The Legal Process to Get Packages that have been Seized Back
If your shipping package is confiscated, the first step is to call the law enforcement department that is in charge of the cargo’s custody.Always make sure you have a representative from Asset Forfeiture Attorney with you when you go meet with them, as you never want to meet or talk with a police officer or investigator alone when they are conducting an interrogation on your behalf.Despite the fact that you may believe you have nothing to hide, the government may use whatever you say against you in court as evidence, and they are quite skilled at convincing you to make the incorrect statement.When the police seize your box before it can be delivered to your home, they are not attempting to be your friend in this situation.They will seek to initiate a lawsuit, confiscate the imported or exported products, and submit a claim for asset forfeiture in order to profit from the situation.
- You will want to have an attorney there at this meeting to ensure that you do not say anything incriminating that might be used against you in the future.
- Returning your property or a confiscated shipping cargo after it has been taken into custody can be a lengthy legal process that involves administrative delays.
- The best course of action is to get legal counsel and proceed through the procedure one step at a time:
Your attorney from Asset Forfeiture Attorney will assist you in filing a claim in order to protect your rights in relation to the confiscated shipping package you have received.It is necessary for you to have an actual interest in the seized package in order to submit a claim, which implies that you cannot submit a claim on behalf of another person.You must ascertain if the seizure is being handled by a federal, state, or local government agency before proceeding.You must make this judgment because there are different regulations to follow for the various agencies, and you want to be certain that you are following the appropriate processes for each.Even the tiniest variance might mean the difference between receiving your shipping cargo returned and having it lost for good in the process.
Your attorney from Asset Forfeiture Attorney will investigate all of the elements of the claim that has been filed against your shipping package and will put up a solid defense on your side, if necessary.Your attorney will conduct an investigation to identify any witnesses, all needed shipping papers, and any other evidence that will be essential to establish a strong representation of your case in the court of law.
Once the investigation is complete, your attorney will be able to use all of the information to develop a case theory to support your claim.Your attorney can use the evidence to participate in settlement discussions with the government agency that was involved in the seizure of your shipping cargo, if necessary.A large number of cases are settled at the negotiation stage.There are those who will proceed to the next stage of the trial procedure.When it comes to asset forfeiture procedures, having an experienced attorney on your side from Asset Forfeiture Attorney may make a major difference.
- You want an attorney who is well-versed in the process.
Trial by Jury
You have the right to a jury trial in both state and federal courts in the state of California.In the event that you are attempting to settle your shipping package seizure, the prosecution will have the burden of proof in your case when it is tried in front of a judge and jury.They must demonstrate ‘beyond a reasonable doubt’ that the seizure of your box was made in the reasonable belief that it was a part of illegal activity before they can be released.
Find Help Near Me for Packages That Were Seized Before Arriving at My Home
If a package has been confiscated by a government agency before it has even arrived at your residence, you will require the services of an Asset Forfeiture Attorney.Contact us as soon as possible at 888-571-5590, since there are important deadlines to adhere to while dealing with this legal process.You will require the services of an attorney who will be able to defend your rights in court and obtain the recovery of your property.Asset Forfeiture Attorney offers the knowledge and experience in these types of situations that you will want and desire.Don’t hesitate to contact us right away.
What will tracking say if a package has been seized?
Log in or register today to become a member of the world’s largest online stoners community, which now has more than 600.000 members.
Ultrahigh01 Registered User
- Date of joining: November 9, 2011 There have been 51 messages and 17 likes have been received. Hello, everyone. On Saturday, I placed an order for two diesel Ryders from Attitudes Pick n Mix. Despite the fact that it shipped on August 18, Royal Mail reported that it had arrived in the United States by the evening of August 19, and USPS reported that ″origin post is preparing shipment.″ Today, after a week, the message ″origin post is preparing shipping″ is still shown. Is this to imply that it is detained in customs or has been confiscated in any way?
- Date of joining: February 27, 2009 There have been 317 messages and 243 likes have been received. It nearly always states that right up until the point when it is delivered to my door step. I wouldn’t get too worked up over it. You will not know if your shipment has been confiscated until you receive a letter from customs indicating that your package contained illicit products and had been seized, but that all other lawful things had been restored to you.
Ultrahigh01 Registered User
- Initiated on: November 9, 2011 Messages: 51 Likes received on: November 9, 2011 Due to the fact that it was only two seeds, I did not receive a t-shirt or anything. I’m hoping everything works out:/ I’m assuming that they simply fell late on updating the monitoring due to the holiday season.
- Messages: 740 Likes after joining on June 22, 2011. 511 messages have been received. Any time of year, they are behind in their tracking. It normally takes a week to go past customs and to the first sort facility, and it may take much longer in other instances.
DeafGeoff Registered User
- Date of joining: December 4, 2008 There have been 1,219 messages sent out, and 297 likes have been received. The Royal Mail website should give you a better indication whether it has not been transported out of the country or if it has been taken by customs. This is the website that the British government uses, so it should give you a better notion. In any case, the USPS website or the Royal Mail website will not indicate if it has been halted, but if it indicates that it has arrived anywhere after Bethpage or Jamaica in New York, you are in.
- Initiated on July 24, 2015, with three messages and one like received. ″I have an overseas shipment that has arrived at the International Shipping Center in New York. It proceeded through the sorting process and reported that it had arrived at Gardendale, New York, and that it was now on its way to its destination, but it has been sitting in Gardendale for three days. Is this usual, or do you think there’s a problem?″ I joined on July 24, 2015 and have sent 3 messages and received 1 like. Is there anyone who knows what an APAI Indian is?
- That is very natural. A problem won’t become apparent until it has already occurred. All of my merchandise passes via New York, and I’ve never had a problem there. If I had to guess, I’d say it would come in perfect condition and unmolested. Wishing you the best of luck! I’m Sherry
- I joined on July 24, 2015
- I have 3 messages
- I have received 1 like. Please accept my sincere thanks for the timely encouragement.
Numbnutts Num num num num num num
On December 4, 2008, I became a member of this community.There have been 1,219 messages sent out, with 297 likes being received.The Royal Mail website should give you a better indication whether it has not been transported out of the country or if it has been taken by customs.This is the website that the British government uses, so it should be more accurate.If it says it has arrived anywhere after Bethpage or Jamaica in New York, then you are in.
- If it says it has arrived anywhere after Bethpage or Jamaica in New York, then you are out.
Registered on July 24, 2015 with 3 messages and 1 like.
- ″It was delivered to ISC NY from an overseas shipment.
- Despite the fact that it has been languishing in Gardendale, New York for three days, it has gone through the sorting process and is finally on the road to its destination.
This appears to be normal; does this indicate that something is wrong?″ I joined on July 24, 2015, and have sent 3 messages and received 1 like.Is anyone familiar with the term ″APAI Indian″?What you’re seeing is standard.A issue won’t become apparent until it has already manifested itself.
There has never been a problem with any of my cargo passing through New York.In the event that I had to place a wager, I’d wager that it will arrive undamaged and unharmed.Greetings and Best Regards I’m Sherry; I joined on July 24, 2015; I have 3 messages; I have one like; I have one dislike Please accept my sincere gratitude for the timely encouragement.
Numbnutts Num num num num num num
Date of joining: October 21, 2011 6,112 Likes on 6,112 Messages Total number of submissions received: 2,104 In the year 2003, I placed an internet order for some seeds.That was the year when the Iraq war began, and it was also the year that people were sending all kinds of messed weird material in the mail, and my seeds managed to get through.They opened them and discovered what they were.I put them back in the disk and sealed it up, and the next day I received a box with a note stating that your shipment had been opened at customs and that I now had your stuff.Have a wonderful day.
- I recall getting the impression that seals in helicopters were about to fast tie me down and rip me to bits as they apprehended a youngster for having some seeds in his possession.
- On a downer, let’s say.
- One thing that legalization accomplished in large numbers was.
My power bill has increased by 201.4 percent compared to the same period last year.Oh man, it was such a kick in the balls, it made me want to go all leds on you.
killset Well-Known Member
Date of joining: December 24, 2014 Messages: 13,015 Likes on Facebook Approximately 8,548 were received.Whether it is permitted in large quantities or not, it is still unlawful on a federal level.The postal system is governed by the federal government.However, nothing significant occurs.In addition to a wonderful letter from our federal government informing you that the seeds have been confiscated, your order will be delivered to the delivery location without the seeds.
- The remainder of the product will be delivered to you.
- Tracking will not report anything out of the ordinary.
- By the way, using LEDs will not save you any money in the long run.
- You’ll just be purchasing lesser lights in order to save money on your electric bill.
Yields are reduced when the lights are smaller.With their advertising, LED manufacturers have successfully misled people into believing some nonsense.I develop my skills with both lead and hid.similar to x 1
- Date of joining: December 16, 2016 Messages Received: 15 Likes The number of people who received it was 11. I placed my order on November 29th. still waiting.
- still waiting.
- Date of joining: May 11, 2012 58,116 Likes on 58,116 Messages The number of people who have received it is six.
What Happens If A Package Is Seized By Customs » Border Buddy
- If a package is intercepted by Customs Canada, what happens next is explained here. In the event that your package is seized by Customs Canada, what happens next? A total of about 100 million people pass through the hands of border services officers each year at 1,200 entry sites across Canada as well as 39 foreign destinations, including airports, marine terminals, highway crossings and rail ports. Despite the fact that they have jurisdiction over practically every aspect of Canadian society, they are tenacious in implementing rules and regulations. In this profession, you’ll be responsible for inspecting items as well as documentation pertaining to the importing and exporting of commodities. Officers from the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) have the ability to confiscate dollars, commodities, and data that is being exported or imported. Any and all undeclared foodstuffs, plants, animals, and associated goods brought into Canada by tourists pose a risk to the health of Canadians as well as to the environment. The introduction of foreign dangers into Canada can be accomplished through a variety of means. Foods such as potatoes, fruit, and sausages
- homemade goods such as objects manufactured from wood or plants
- live birds
- plant cuttings
- and a variety of other items are included.
If a package is intercepted by Customs Canada, what happens next is explained below.Customs Canada may seize and hold a package for a variety of reasons.Nearly 100 million visitors are processed yearly by border services agents at approximately 1,200 entrance sites throughout Canada, as well as 39 international destinations that include airports, marine terminals, highway crossings, rail ports, and postal facilities.Despite the fact that they have jurisdiction over practically every aspect of Canadian society, they are tenacious in their enforcement of rules and regulations.In this profession, you’ll be responsible for inspecting items as well as documentation pertaining to the importation and exportation of commodities.
- Currency, products, and data that are being exported or imported are seized by CBSA officials who have the right to do so.
- Any and all undeclared foodstuffs, plants, animals, and associated goods brought into Canada by tourists pose a hazard to the health of Canadians as well as to the environment.
- The introduction of foreign dangers into Canada can be accomplished through a variety of methods and goods.
- Foods such as potatoes, fruit, and sausages; homemade products such as objects manufactured from wood or plants; live birds; plant cuttings; and other commodities are examples of what is prohibited.
Biosecurity at the border: food, plants, animals and related products
Many tourists are unaware of the dangers associated with failing to declare food, plant, and animal goods, but the Canadian government is always on the lookout for threats to the country’s food supply, economy, environment, and human health by neglecting to do so.They are a danger to the food supply.They pose a danger to the agriculture industry and the economy of Canada.They pose a hazard to the ecosystem and natural resource availability.Items that are brought into the country without the required documentation will be confiscated.
- WE CAN HELP IF YOU NEED IT
According to the Government of Canada’s website, the CBSA has the authority to take commodities if they are not declared, or if they are fraudulently declared.This implies that you may lose the things for good or that you could be required to pay a fine in order to get them returned.Because penalties vary depending on the nature of the commodities and the circumstances surrounding their seizure, the CBSA may assess fines that range from 25 percent up to 80 percent of the value of the confiscated goods.The Customs Act grants border services officials the ability to confiscate automobiles that have been used to illegally import items into the United States.If you do not disclose tobacco items and alcoholic drinks at the time of importation, the CBSA will take them and keep them for the rest of your life.
- The CBSA maintains a record of all violations.
- If you have a history of infractions, you may be required to submit to a more in-depth investigation on subsequent travels.
- Additionally, you may lose your eligibility for the NEXUS and CANPASS programs.
Modifying an item outside Canada
In accordance with Canadian customs regulations, if you take an item outside of the nation and alter it in any manner to improve its condition or worth, the CBSA will not consider it to be the same thing when you reintroduce it.As a result, you must report the entire amount of the new item on your tax return.Consider the following scenario: you are taking an ancient diamond ring on a vacation outside of Canada.While traveling outside of Canada, you make the decision to have the diamond removed from the previous ring and set in a new setting.The CBSA will treat the new ring in the same manner as any other piece of jewelry purchased outside of the country, and the duty and taxes owed will be calculated on the full value of the new ring, which will include the diamond that was exported from Canada, as well as the value of the diamond that was imported from Canada.
- Except if you have gotten prior authorisation from the CBSA to have the new ring created while you are outside the country, this regulation will apply to your situation.
Breakdown of What Happens if a Package is Seized by Customs Canada
In accordance with Canadian customs regulations, if you take an item outside of the nation and alter it in any manner to improve its condition or worth, the CBSA will not consider it to be the same thing when you bring it back into the country.As a result, you must report the entire amount of the new item on your income tax returns.Consider the following scenario: you are traveling outside of Canada and you are bringing an antique diamond ring with you.You make the decision to have the diamond removed from the previous ring and put in a new setting while traveling outside of Canada.As with any other piece of jewelry purchased outside of Canada, the CBSA will treat this new ring as though it were any other piece of jewelry purchased within the country.
- The duty and taxes owed will be calculated on the full value of this new ring, which will include the diamond that was imported from Canada.
- Except if you have gotten prior authorisation from the CBSA to have the new ring created while you are outside the country, this regulation will apply to your case.
It is necessary to seek a review of your items before they may be returned.If the CBSA has taken a formal action or made a decision affecting you or your products, you might consider asking a Minesterial or President’s review of the decision.It is possible to find the various forms and letters related to CBSA enforcement actions and trade decisions on the government’s website, which includes information on both individual travelers entering Canada and commercial goods crossing the border, as well as the actions taken as a result of those actions.There are tools on the CBSA website that outline the sorts of actions that the CBSA may have taken, as well as links to information on seeking a review for a specific behavior that has been identified as a problem.
What You Should Expect
There are essentially only two possible outcomes: either customs releases your package (which is great!) or they confiscate your things (which is not so great!) If your belongings are taken, the cargo will be transported to a secure facility that is dedicated to the storage of seized goods.That massive hidden warehouse at the conclusion of Raiders of the Lost Ark, when thousands of boxes of items were confiscated and stashed away for all time by the government, is probably what you’re picturing–and it isn’t all that far off the mark from reality.You may be thinking that this is all starting to seem like a foggy maze of red tape, and that is exactly what it is:
What if the goods are mistakenly destroyed?
It does happen from time to time, though it is not common, that CBSA destroys detained goods by mistake because wires were crossed and there was a miscommunication.If your belongings are accidentally damaged, you may be able to claim compensation.If goods have been destroyed by mistake, an attorney with expertise in customs law can draft a letter requesting compensation on the grounds that the goods were destroyed by mistake.
Next time around:
Chances are, now that this has occurred to you, you will be much more cautious the next time around in order to avoid the stress and difficulty you experienced when your item was confiscated. LET US BE OF SERVICE
How to Avoid Trouble
To declare or not to declare (hint: declare!) is the question.If you are shipping perishable goods, it is critical that you understand all of the permissions and licenses that are required before permitting the shipment to depart from its origin port.If you fail to complete even one form, you may find yourself in a nightmare of processing demands and fees, as well as risking the loss of your entire shipment.The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) announced in October 2020 that it will modernize NEXUS kiosks around the country to incorporate face recognition technology.It is vital to remember, however, that these new kiosks will not be able to process declarations.
- If you have items to declare, you must do so orally to a customs officer in a clearly demarcated section of the customs hall after using the kiosk, rather than through the kiosk.
- Attention, cannabis users: Despite the fact that selling cannabis is legal in Canada and several U.S.
- states, it is crucial to remember that importing cannabis into Canada is not permitted unless you are a licensed producer.
- Even if you have a valid prescription for cannabis, you will not be able to bring it into Canada with you.
If you are stopped at the border because canines sniffing your automobile have detected marijuana, you may be in for a difficult meeting with the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA).It is possible that your NEXUS card will be confiscated if they search your car and discover cannabis or seeds, CBD lotions, CBD oil or other drugs, drug paraphernalia, or even a container such as a film canister that contains trace amounts of narcotics, and that you will be handcuffed, detained, or even arrested if they search your car.What to do if anything like this occurs to you Of course, you are not likely to be running a ring of black-market items, but there are a variety of ways in which you may find yourself in hot water with the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA).Due to the possibility that you were not aware of your violation, you may be taken aback when you discover that your item has been confiscated.
In international shipping, it is not always apparent what constitutes ″right″ and ″wrong,″ and lots of unskilled shippers (who are far from being hardened criminals) may nevertheless find themselves with their stuff taken, which is never a pleasant experience.
Avoid Any Issues & Get a Border Broker
However, while you are not required to use a customs broker, many individuals prefer the peace of mind that comes with employing one to educate them and manage any necessary paperwork, licenses, and procedure involved in order to avoid the inconvenience of having their products confiscated at the border.The time you save by hiring a broker to manage the technicalities of importing and exporting allows you to spend more time concentrating on your company’s operations, and you avoid the costly mistakes that may occur when you try to do everything on your own.GET IN TOUCH RIGHT NOW If you are an organized shipper with an orderly file of documents to all licensure and regulatory information on hand, you will be fine.If you are disorganized, you may well find yourself mired in delays and bringing things to a complete halt–which can have a negative impact on your business and your peace of mind……………………..
r/UPS – Signs to tell if your UPS shipment has been seized?
Who is in charge of Level 1?Customs?What about law enforcement?Which of the items did you get in violation of the law?level 1: You placed an unlawful order and it was not delivered.
- level 2: You placed an illegal order and it was not delivered.
- As a result of conducting business unlawfully, you’re at risk of being subjected to seizure, rip-off, and a variety of other calamities that you have no way of stopping.
- Alternatively, you may receive a delivery followed by a no-knock search warrant from your local police department.
- It’s impossible not to admire those gentlemen.
1st grade It’s much too early to be concerned.Customs is experiencing a backlog as a result of the covid.Europe is taking extra precautions when it comes to anything that originates in the United States.It’s similar to how the United States Customs and Border Protection was with China in the beginning.
Expect a delay of a few of weeks.level 1It was an international cargo from the United States to the United Kingdom.I’m not sure if my shipment has been confiscated, but it has not moved or had its tracking information updated since it arrived at UK customs on July 7th.1st grade Is it too soon to be concerned about a seizure given that it has been in customs since the 7th of July with no movement or update?
1st grade What was the very last item on the tracking information?Was it able to pass the import scan?Have you had a warehouse scan done recently?level 1No, it said Exception and that the cargo was still in the process of being cleared by customs.I did have a warehouse scan since it was the final scan before it stated pending customs clearance, but I did not have an import scan because it was the last scan before it said awaiting customs clearance.
- Level 1: My initial shipment was confiscated when it arrived from the UK; I had it reshipped for the second time using a different address; nonetheless, it has been showing as ″processed via ISC Miami″ for the past four days.
- level 1How about a couple of weeks or so?
- I payed for 2-3 days express plus delivery.
- I also had another shipment mailed out two days before that, and it was just in customs for a couple of hours before being released.
- The only thing I’ve been told is to be patient because UPS appears to be backlogged as a resu