The Renewal Procedure in a Post Office
- Find Nearest Authorized Post Office Locate the closest post office that offers a passport application facility.
- Schedule an Appointment All passport service agencies require an appointment for the processing of your application. Call up and fix an appointment with the post office.
- Choose the Right Form and Get a Copy Before the appointment, you need to print out the right form and fill it completely.
- Fill and Complete the Form You can fill all the requisite details online, on the US passport department’s website and print out the filled application form directly.
- Arrange For a Photograph For the application, you will need a current photograph.
Complete your Passport Renewal Application Form DS-82 on the State Department website. Print and sign your DS-82 form. Have a passport photo taken. You can schedule a passport photo-only appointment at a Post Office™ location.
work card or your other passport (if any). When using expedited services, a person has to pay an extra fee to faster the renewal process. But the expedited services are no longer available for U.K. applicants living outside the U.K. What is Emergency
How do I get a replacement UK passport?
You need to bring your old passport to the Post Office. They will take your photo, fill in the application online and submit it for you. They’ll send your old passport to HM Passport Office by Special Delivery.
How do I apply for a new passport?
You need to bring your old passport to the Post Office. They will take your photo, fill in the application online and submit it for you. They’ll send your old passport to HM Passport Office by Special Delivery. You’ll get email and text updates from HM Passport Office at each stage of the application process,
How do I know my passport renewal application has been received?
Your passport renewal application has been received. Your old passport has been received. Your application has been approved. Your new passport is on its way. You can track your application using the link and reference on your Digital Check & Send receipt.
How much does it cost to renew a passport?
What are the steps to renew a passport?
Steps. Part 1. Part 1 of 3: If you want to fill out your passport renewal form ahead of time, you can print a copy from the Department of State’s website. When it’s time for your appointment, bring your renewal form, your old passport, a new photo if you want one, and a renewal fee of $110.
How to expedite the passport renewal process?
Expedite Passport Renewal – Forms, Fees & Processing Times. U.S. citizens can get expedited passport renewals in one of three ways. These include: Apply for expedited renewal by mail. Submit application DS-82 and supporting documents at a regional agency. Authorize a private expediter to submit the form on your behalf.
Passport Check and Send service
- Some Post Offices provide a service called ‘Check and Send’ that allows you to have your passport application checked before it is sent. Using Check and Send reduces the likelihood that your application will be denied by the application server. Look for a Post Office that offers the Check and Send service and take use of it. Choose from the drop-down menu: ‘Passport Check and Send – digital’ if you want Post Office staff to take your photo and assist you in filling out your application online
- ‘Passport Check and Send – paper’ if you’re applying using a paper form
- and ‘Passport Check and Send – digital’ if you want Post Office staff to take your photo and assist you in filling out your application online.
How much it costs
- The cost of the photo is included in the Digital Check and Send fee.
- It is an additional £16.00 charge on top of the passport application price.
- The cost of the photo is not included in the Paper Check and Send service.
- It will cost you an additional £16.00 on top of the passport application price and the cost of your photographs.
- If you qualify for a free passport, the Check and Send service is provided at no cost to you.
How to pay
- You can pay with cash, a credit or debit card, a postal order (made payable to ‘Post Office Limited’), or a bank transfer.
Getting a refund
A refund is only available if the UK Passport Office sends you a letter informing you that the Post Office made a mistake in processing your application. If you receive a letter, it will explain how to request a refund from the Post Office. If your application is refused, you will not be eligible for a refund.
Making a digital application
In addition to taking your photo, the Post Office will assist you in completing your application online. What you’ll need to bring with you will vary depending on the sort of application you’re submitting.
If you’re renewing or replacing a passport
If you still have your previous passport, you must bring it with you to the Post Office to be processed. If you’ve just changed your name, you’ll also need to produce documentation proving your new identity (like a marriage certificate). If you lose your passport, you’ll also need the name and email address of someone who can verify your identity in the event of a theft.
If you’re applying for your first adult passport
- You will be required to provide the email address of a person who can verify your identification. You’ll also need your parents’ information, which includes their names, dates of birth, and places of birth
- UK passport information, if they have one
- and details of their marriage or civil partnership, if they had one. You’ll also need information about your siblings.
If you’re applying for someone under 16
- You’ll need to provide the following information about both of their parents: their names, dates of birth, and places of birth
- UK passport details, if they have them
- details of their marriage or civil partnership, if they had one
- and the names, dates, and places of birth of their children.
- If you are unable to supply the information for both parents, you must explain why (for example, if you are the sole parent listed on the kid’s birth certificate or if you adopted the child on your own).
- Unless you’re renewing a passport for a kid who is 12 or older and you have the child’s previous passport with you, you’ll also need the email address of someone who can verify the child’s identification.
What happens next
At each stage of the application process, you’ll get email and SMS updates from the HM Passport Office, and you may keep track of your application online. The use of the Check and Send service does not ensure that your passport application will be accepted for processing.
Making a paper application
- You should go to the Post Office with your completed paper application form, pictures, and any supporting documentation you have. The Post Office Check and Send service will ensure that you’ve done the following: filled in all of the necessary areas of the paper form
- Obtained the appropriate supporting documentation (including photographs)
- paid the appropriate fee
They will arrange for Special Delivery of your application to the HM Passport Office on your behalf. When compared to publishing your own application, using Check and Send is frequently faster. It is possible that the HM Passport Office will need to call you or your countersignatory to verify the information.
Renew Adult Passport
Digital Check & Send
There’s no muss or hassle. We’ll complete and submit your application on your behalf through the internet.
Paper Check & Send
Find your nearest branch
You might be interested in
International Driving Permit
If you’re driving in another country, you may require an International Driving Permit. Check to see which nations have one as a requirement.
Our 5* rated travel insurance will ensure that you and your family are completely covered while on the road.
Order travel money online for delivery the following day, or click and collect at a branch near you if you prefer.
THIS Is how to renew your passport at the Post Office 
- One of the most common mistakes tourists make is allowing their passports to expire before they go on their journey.
- Having to deal with this may create a lot of hassles, which can be easily avoided if you stay on top of your passport renewals when the time comes.
- And you may now renew your passport at the Post Office in just a few simple steps by visiting the website.
- Continue reading to find out all you need to know about renewing your passport at the post office!
Post Office Passport Renewal Overview
- If you intend to travel overseas, you’ll almost certainly need a valid passport, therefore getting one ready should be the first thing you do before getting on a plane.
- If you need to renew your passport, you’re in luck since you can now do it at a post office, which is convenient.
- Having the option of renewing your passport at the post office is one of those conveniences that may make your life a lot simpler, especially if you don’t live in close proximity to a passport acceptance center.
- At the same time, it is vital to remember that the Postal Service does not process or issue passports; this is the responsibility of the Department of State.
- It only allows you to submit applications for passports and other passport-related services and goods, not to use them.
- Passport renewal applications may be submitted at more than 4,800 post offices around the United States as of the time of writing.
- Using the Post Office Locator service provided by the United States Postal Service, you may locate your local PO.
Changes Due to COVID-19
- Since the beginning of the COVID-19 epidemic, the method in which Post Offices receive passport renewal applications has changed as well.
- After a year of planning, the Postal Service began scheduling appointments to process every passport application in March of this year.
- This is a temporary remedy that they were forced to implement as a result of the outbreak.
- As a result, it is necessary to plan a time for your passport renewal at a self-service kiosk in the Post Office lobby or through an online scheduler.
How to Renew a Passport at the Post Office
Having determined that renewing your passport at the post office is the best alternative, you should be aware of the procedures that must be followed in order to do so. The following are the straightforward procedures you may take to renew your passport at the Post Office:
- Check if you are eligible to renew your membership by mail
- Preparing Your Application Package is essential.
- Send Your Renewal Application via mail
- Track the Status of Your Renewal Application
We’ll go through each of these processes in further depth in the sections that follow. Continue reading to find out more!
Step 1: Check Your Eligibility to Renew by Mail
- First and foremost, you must determine if you are entitled to have your travel document renewed by mail. This is critical since there are some limits on who is eligible to renew their passport through the postal service. Minors, for example, are unable to renew their licenses over the mail. When renewing your passport by mail, you must fulfill a few extra conditions, including that your passport: Was issued to you when you were 16 years old or older
- Was issued within the previous 15 years
- and Was handed to you when you were less than 16 years old.
- Apart from typical ″wear and tear,″ there is no evidence of damage.
- Has been delivered to you in order to be submitted with your application
- Was an offer made to you under your current name
- Have you changed your name and can provide documentation of your change of name
If your travel document does not match these conditions, you should refrain from renewing your passport over the mail. In this case, you will be required to create the same application package as someone who is submitting their application for the first time.
Step 2: Prepare Your Application Package
If you are eligible to renew your license by mail, it is time to start putting together your application packet. You will need to complete the following tasks in order to create your application package:
- Fill out the DS-82, Application for Passport Renewal
- Form DS-82 should be printed and signed.
- Make an appointment to get your passport photo taken (this can only be done at particular Post Offices)
- Pay the re-registration cost
Note that it is usually preferable to renew your passport before the expiration date because many countries may require a valid passport with more than six months of validity remaining in order to enter the country.
Step 3: Finalize and Mail Your Renewal Application
Having completed these procedures, gather your existing or expired passport, your application, and any papers pertaining to name changes (if necessary) and place them together in a big envelope for safekeeping. The Department of State recommends that you use a delivery tracking service such as the United States Postal Service for this.
Step 4: Follow Your Application Progress
If you choose to use USPS tracking, you will be able to follow the status of your application and determine when it has arrived at its final destination. After submitting your application, you will be able to monitor the status of your application on the DoS platform, which will take 5-6 weeks.
Expedited Delivery for Passport Renewal
- If you wish to renew your passport by mail and accelerate the procedure, you may pay to have it sent faster by paying for expedited delivery.
- The Priority Mail Express service will be enabled as a result of this.
- Your passport may be renewed in as little as 10 weeks when you use this service.
- This is perfect if you require your passport to be renewed as quickly as possible for an emergency trip.
- Keep in mind that if you want to utilize this service, it may cost you an additional $60.
4 Tips for Renewing Your Passport at the Post Office
Here are some suggestions to keep in mind to ensure that the renewal process runs as easily as possible:
1. Schedule an Appointment at the Post Office
- Many times, people went to the post office to renew their passports without realizing that they were required to arrange an appointment first.
- Due to the fact that post offices have their own operation hours and may cease their passport services at any time, it is critical to ensure that you submit your passport renewal application at the appropriate time.
- As a result, arranging an appointment online is something to think about doing.
- With millions of passport applications being processed each year, it is difficult for passport acceptance facilities to keep up with the volume, which is why appointments are required at these locations.
2. Choose Your Appointment Time Wisely
- The earlier you can schedule your appointment, the better off you will be.
- This is especially true in metropolitan areas, where you may have to go to a post office that is congested with traffic.
- You may not be attended to at your specified appointment time if the post office is overcrowded at the time of your booked appointment.
- Because of this, you will need to ensure that you have sufficient free time during the day to deal with your passport renewal.
3. Double-Check Your Documents
The last thing you want to happen is to arrive to the post office for your renewal only to discover that you don’t have all of your paperwork with you. By double-checking your paperwork, you may stop this situation from occurring. Check that everything is in order so that you do not lose time and do not have to postpone your passport renewal.
4. Get Your Photo Taken at the Passport Office
Lots of post offices provide picture services, so check with your local office to see whether they offer this as well. If they provide this service, you will be able to save a significant amount of time.
Renewing a Passport at the Post Office Next Steps
If you live in a remote area, renewing your passport at a post office may be the most convenient alternative. If you want the procedure to go easily and without worry, make sure you follow the advice in this article.
Need a Loan? Get One in 3 Simple Steps
- You may apply for a personal loan by following these three simple steps if you are thinking about it.
- Apply Fill out an online application for the loan amount you require.
- Submit all of the relevant papers and make your application as strong as possible.
- Better loan offers are made to applicants who submit stronger loan applications.
- Accept If your application fulfills the eligibility requirements, the lender will get in touch with you to discuss your application further.
- If any further information is necessary, please provide it.
- You’ll receive your loan offer in the near future.
- Some lenders include a promissory note with your loan offer, which you must sign.
- If you decide to accept the loan offer, you must sign and return that message.
Repay The loan is subsequently deposited into your bank account in the United States within a reasonable amount of time (some lenders will be as quick as 2-3 business days).You’ll need to set up a repayment plan at this point.You may set up an autopay method online to ensure that your payments are sent on time every month.Concerning Stilt Loans to overseas students and working professionals in the United States (F-1, OPT, H-1B, O-1, L-1, TN visa holders) are available through Stilt at rates that are lower than those offered by any other lender.Stilt is dedicated to assisting immigrants in establishing a more secure financial future.
- We use a comprehensive underwriting process to establish your interest rates, ensuring that you receive the best possible rate for your loan.
- Check out what others are saying about us on Google, Yelp, and Facebook, or come see us in person at our location.
- If you have any questions, you may contact us by email at.
- I am a big believer that knowledge is the key to achieving financial independence.
- For immigrants, I write about complicated issues such as money, immigration, and technology on the Stilt Blog, in order to assist them in making the most of their life in the United States.
- Our content and brand have been published in several publications, including Forbes, TechCrunch, VentureBeat, and others.
Using The Post Office For Passport Application and Renewal
- You must submit your passport to immigration officers in any country while entering via their borders, regardless of your nationality.
- In the United Kingdom, you may renew your passport online through the website of the United Kingdom Government, but did you know that you can also apply for a passport renewal at a Post Office branch?
- In this post, we will debunk the myths surrounding the Post Office passport renewal procedure, making it simple for you to apply for a new passport at any time.
Passport Check and Send – Post Office
- Post Office branches may be found in hundreds of locations around the United Kingdom, and they offer a wide range of services to the general public. These branches range greatly in terms of both their physical size and the various facilities they have available, which means that not all of them will be able to handle passport applications at the same time. Fortunately, the Post Office website will allow you to look for the nearest branch to you by entering your hometown or postcode. This will allow you to identify the branch that can assist you with your application. When you apply for your new adult passport through the Post Office, you will be required to provide a number of supporting papers as well. These may include the following: Birth certificate
- proof of citizenship or naturalization
- proof that at least one parent has a claim to British nationality
- and other documents as required.
- If you want to apply for a passport on behalf of a child who is under the age of sixteen, you will need to provide additional documentation. This can include: legal orders pertaining to residence
- court orders pertaining to residency
- Any legal agreements relating to parental duty
- There are two major options for renewing your passport through the United States Postal Service, which will be discussed more below.
- The fact that each of these things will require time should not be overlooked.
- Process time for the digital check and send service will be around 4 weeks, but the paper check and send service would take at least a week longer to complete.
- You should plan ahead if you require a passport in the near future — the UK Government suggests that you wait at least 10 weeks for your application to be completed before you go.
Post Office passport renewal – Digital Check and Send service
- If you go to one of the Post Office’s offices (the Post Office branch locator will tell you which ones), you may take advantage of a service where the staff can prepare your digital application for you. The digital passport renewal service offered by the Post Office is the lowest of the two options, and there are no physical documents to fill out. Nothing more than your previous passport and your current personal email address will be required, along with verification of any changes that need to be highlighted as part of the application process. The following is a step-by-step breakdown of the process: To begin, you must utilize the search tool on the Post Office website to locate the branch that provides the Digital Check and Send service closest to you
- second, you must complete the following steps:
- Go to the bank and inquire for this service at the counter, bringing in your previous passport as well as any documentation of any modifications you’ve made
- Employees at the Post Office will fill up your passport application using your previous passport, taking care to account for any modifications you may need to make.
- The Post Office will next take a biometric photo of you for your new passport, following the formal rules set forth by the HM Passport Office to ensure that the end result is appropriate. This will be linked to your digital application at that point.
- Once the application is complete, it is sent to the Passport Office, and your old passport is returned to you.
- It will be necessary to get regular updates from the Passport Office, which will be sent to you either by email or text message.
- As soon as the Passport Office has completed processing of your application, your new passport will be mailed straight to you.
Post Office passport renewal – Paper Check and Send service
- If you’d like to submit a paper application, the Post Office will accommodate you as well! Using the Paper Check and Send Service, you may fill out a paper form and send it to us along with your images. This option is 10 percent more expensive than the Digital service and takes significantly longer to complete
- but, if you like to have greater control over the process, this is the best choice for your needs. Only your current passport and, as with the Digital Check and Send service before it, evidence of any modifications will be required. The remaining items may be purchased in-branch, which will initiate the application process: If you want to submit a paper application, the Post Office may accommodate you as well. If you want to complete a paper form and send your own images, the Paper Check and Send Service is for you. If you wish to have greater control over the application process, this is the best choice for you. It is around 10% more expensive than applying via the Digital service, and it takes much longer to complete the application. Simply fill out an application form (which can be found at participating Post Office locations) and bring it, together with your existing passport and documentation of any modifications you require, to the Check and Send location where you will be using the service. This is how the step-by-step procedure is carried out: Make use of a passport application form available at your local branch and fill it out at home (or wherever is most convenient)
- Take 2 (two) color biometric photographs (35 x 45mm) that will be used to verify your identity when applying for a passport. You may either take these standard images yourself or have them taken for you at a participating Post Office.
- Bring all of the relevant paperwork, including your biometric photographs, to your local branch and hand them in to the counter, requesting the Paper Check and Send service. If you have any questions, please contact us. The original versions of your papers must be submitted
- photocopies will not be allowed.
- Employees at the branch will thoroughly evaluate your application to verify that it complies with all applicable requirements.
- Your branch will send your application to the Passport Office through special delivery once Post Office workers have completed their checks, and your passport will be delivered to you after the Passport Service has verified it.
Post Office passport photo prices – UK
The two distinct Check and Send services are charged at two distinct rates, which are shown below. The Digital Check and Send option is the most affordable of the two.
Passport Check and Send – how long does it take?
- According to the recommendations of the HM Passport Office, you should plan on waiting up to ten (ten) weeks for your passport application to be completed and your new passport to be delivered.
- At the time of writing, the projected processing time for passport renewals was 4 (four) weeks, although this is subject to change at any moment without notice.
- In general, paper applications will have lengthier lead times than electronic applications, owing to the additional time it takes for postal applications to reach the passport administration.
Post Office with passport services for lost or stolen passports
- In the event that your passport is lost or stolen, you must notify the Passport Office and, if the passport was taken, the police immediately.
- After then, you will be able to submit your application through the Post Office Check and Send service as usual, although the circumstances will necessitate a couple of extra steps due to the nature of the issue.
- As previously stated, you have the option of either completing a paper form and sending it in for the Paper Check and Send service or requesting the Digital Check and Send service right away.
- Due to the fact that you will not have an old passport to use as identification, you will need to have a countersignatory testify for your authenticity.
- You will need to speak with your selected countersignatory ahead of time to ensure that they are aware of their responsibilities (For more information about who can sign a passport, click here).
- You must provide their contact information in a digital application, and they must sign the application if it is a paper application.
- After that, you may simply take your application to the Post Office, where it will be checked and submitted.
The perfect photo for your Post Office digital passport renewal
- No matter the option you choose to renew your passport, you will be required to provide a photograph taken in the United Kingdom. A photo for your UK passport can be taken at a high-street photo booth, a studio, or even at some Post Office branches, depending on where you live. However, the quickest and most convenient method of getting your passport photo is to upload your photo to the Passport Photo Online website or mobile app so that we can prepare it for you right away. Take a look at the benefits: There is a great deal of latitude. Passport Photo Online’s AI photo editor is not only quick and simple to use, but it can also be used from any location with an internet connection, even your own living room. All you need is a smartphone with our app already installed, and you’re good to go.
- Savings. Our service is up to 54 percent less expensive than hiring a photo booth, which is especially beneficial if you require passports for more than one person. We guarantee that you will be completely delighted with our service. We allow you to make many attempts at your passport photo for free, uploading as many as you need, and only charge you for the photo that you finally decide to choose to attach to your passport application, saving you money. This way, you’ll always go away with a photo that you’ll be proud to have in your updated passport – no one loves having a terrible passport photo in their possession
- Validation from a professional standpoint. Our artificial intelligence picture checker examines each photo you upload and compares it to the official photo standards, resizing it if necessary and eliminating any distracting backgrounds to ensure you receive the perfect photograph. If your photo does not pass our automated tests, one of our human inspectors will carefully analyze it and offer advise or make any necessary modifications. This way, you can be certain that your photo complies with the regulations, which will save you the time and effort of having to repeat the application from the beginning.
- Acceptance is virtually certain. If the HM Passport Office rejects a photo that we verified for you, we will refund you for 200 percent of the amount you paid us.
- Getting your new passport ready may be a time-consuming procedure, but utilizing the Post Office makes the process far easier, regardless of whatever Check and Send option you choose.
- Your application will be complete after your passport photo has been generated by Passport Photo Online and has been validated by the Postal Inspection Service.
- With your new passport in hand, you may begin making plans for your future travels overseas.
Post Office digital passport renewal: FAQs
Can I renew my passport at the Post Office?
- With the Post Office passport service, you may renew your passport swiftly and conveniently while remaining confident in your decision.
- All you have to do is pick up a passport application form at a Post Office branch that provides them, fill it out at home, and bring it in with any supporting documentation and a conforming passport picture reel, and the Post Office check and send service will take care of the rest!
What do I need to bring to the post office for my passport?
- You will always be required to carry your departing passport as well as any documentation necessary to demonstrate a change in your circumstances, such as a marriage certificate.
- You will also be required to supply your home address as well as contact information, which is typically a phone number or email address.
- If your passport is lost or stolen, you will be required to submit the name and contact information of a countersignatory in order to confirm your identity.
- A countersignatory, as well as proof demonstrating your relationship with the kid, will be required if you are seeking for a child passport.
Does the post office charge a fee for a passport?
When you use the Post Office’s Check and Send services, they will charge you a fee of £16 for processing your application. This is in addition to the usual passport costs collected by the U.S. Passport Administration.
How much will a passport cost at the post office?
The Digital Check and Send service costs £91.50, whereas the Paper Check and Send service costs £101.50, when the Post Office’s processing fees are taken into consideration.
Can the post office confirm my identity?
Yes, they will be able to verify your identification using your previous passport, or if you do not have one, they will use a countersignatory.
What documentation will the post office need to confirm your identity?
Your previous passport will do as identification if you aren’t utilizing a countersignatory to verify your identity. In the event that your passport is lost or stolen, the countersignatory will serve as a witness to your identification.
Is it faster to renew your passport online or through the post?
In general, postal applications take longer to process than digital applications, owing to the greater lead time involved.
Where do I get a passport application form?
These forms can be obtained in-person at any post office that accepts passport applications; all post offices that accept passport applications have the necessary paperwork.
Can you go to the post office to get a passport?
Yes, it is possible! The Post Office is well-versed in the procedures that must be followed by you. They are in a good position to deal with your application.
Can you download a UK passport renewal form?
It is not possible to apply for a passport online; instead, you must pick up a real application form from the Post Office or call the Passport Adviceline. You can, however, submit an application through the United Kingdom Government’s online site.
Do UK post offices take passport photos?
Yes, they can, but it may be a time-consuming process, and not all branches are equipped to provide this service. It is possible to conveniently prepare your images yourself using a paper application and the Passport Photo Online website, eliminating the need to deal with the difficulty of doing so in person.
Passport application Check and Send – summing up
- Even though renewing your passport can be a time-consuming procedure, using the Post Office makes the process far simpler, regardless of which Check and Send option you choose.
- Your application will be complete once your new passport photo has been prepared and checked by Passport Photo Online and verified by the Post Office.
- Because of the Post Office’s special delivery service, your application will reach the passport authorities in record time, allowing your new passport to be prepared as soon as possible.
- Once your new passport has been delivered, you may begin arranging your next international travel.
Renew adult passport
When you renew your adult passport at the Post Office, we’ll assist you in making sure it’s done correctly the first time.
Renew child’s passport
Do you need to renew the passport of your child? We’ll assist you in doing it right the first time.
First adult passport
Apply for a new adult passport by visiting a branch and we’ll walk you through the procedure from start to finish.
First child passport
Help with your essential travel documents
What are biometric passports?
Biometric passports provide an additional layer of protection while also shortening your wait time at passport check. Learn more about them by visiting their website.
Rules for passport photos
Make certain that your passport photo complies with the stringent requirements that many applicants fail to achieve each year. We’ll assist you in getting it perfect.
Replacing a lost passport
Electronic System for Travel Authorisation
Visit the United States for work or vacation for fewer than 90 days and you will not require a visa. Find out how to obtain an ESTA in lieu of a visa.
Travelling with an expiring passport
How long should you have left on your passport, and what do various nations demand you to carry on you when you enter their territory? Our guide is here to assist you.
Ghic and Ehic
Passport Application & Passport Renewal
- The United States Department of State accepts first-time passport applications in thousands of Post OfficesTM around the country. Most of those sites can also take a photo of your passport if you need one. The State Department will receive your renewal form if you answer ″Yes″ to all five eligibility questions in the ″Renew a Passport by Submit″ section. If you do not answer ″Yes″ to any of the eligibility questions, you must mail your renewal form directly to the State Department. It will be necessary for you to physically visit a Post Office and complete a fresh first-time passport application if you do not fulfill all of the renewal conditions
- Passports for the first time (as well as passport photos): Make an appointment for a face-to-face meeting online.
- To ensure the safety of our employees and customers, we are requiring you to schedule an appointment for first-time passport and photo services using our online scheduler or a self-service kiosk in the Post Office lobby.
- This is a temporary measure caused by COVID-19, and we appreciate your cooperation.
- Passports for minors under the age of sixteen must meet specific conditions.
- Make certain that you are well-prepared.
- Read on to find out more If you’ve never had a passport in the United States, are 16 or younger, or aren’t authorized to renew an existing passport by mail, you’ll need to go to the Post Office in person to apply for a new passport.
- It is necessary to include everything.
- Most people recommend applying for a new passport as soon as they know they will be going internationally—at the very least several months before they plan to fly.
- Passport processing timeframes might vary, so be sure to check the most recent State Department service estimates before making your travel plans.
- The Post Office is a convenient location for first-time passport applicants, minors, and applicants who require a new passport but are unable to renew by mail to submit their passport applications.
The website of the United States Department of State outlines what you’ll need to bring with you.
Step 2: Prepare Your Application Package
Visit the website of the United States Department of State to understand how to apply for a passport and which papers you will need.
- Fill out the Form DS-11, Application for a United States Passport, on the State Department’s online site.
- Your application should be printed once it has been finished.
- NONE OF THE APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE SIGNED. Your signature must be seen by a Postal employee.
- Take a photograph of your passport
- Make a photocopy of your identification and citizenship documents in the United States.
- Make a rough estimate of your fees. For Post Office acceptance fees, credit cards, cheques, and money orders are accepted at Post Offices
- State Department fees are mailed to you together with your application. It is possible to make your payment using a personal check, certified check, cashier’s check, traveler’s check, or money order made payable to the ″U.S. Department of State.″
Start working on your application today. Post Offices that provide passport services have specific hours, and you’ll need to make an appointment using either the online Retail Customer Appointment Scheduler or a self-service kiosk in the Post Office lobby to get your passport. Online scheduling is available.
- To schedule an appointment, go to the Schedule an Appointment page.
- Select the type of passport service you want, as well as the number of adults and youngsters that will require appointments.
- You may start by searching for an appointment by location or date. For example, if you search for an event by location first, you’ll be asked to select a date and time
- if you search for an event by date first, you’ll be asked to select a place and time
- After you’ve selected your appointment time and location, provided your contact information, and agreed to the Terms and Conditions, you’ll be able to schedule your appointment.
- After clicking Review Appointment, you will be asked to confirm your appointment.
Click on the Manage Appointments page and input your confirmation number, email address, or phone number if you need to make changes or cancel your appointment. Self-Service Kiosks are a convenient way to get things done.
- Visit a Post Office facility that has self-service kiosks in the lobby. Locate USPS drop-off and pick-up locations.
- When you first arrive at the self-service kiosk, touch the screen to begin, then pick ″Other Services,″ followed by ″Passport Scheduler.″
- Then select the type of passport service you require, followed by the number of adults and kids that require appointments.
- Search for Post Office locations by ZIP CodeTM or City/State and select a place from the results.
- Accept the Terms and Conditions after selecting a convenient appointment day and time
- Enter your contact information and choose whether or not you want to receive SMS text message notifications.
- Review and double-check your information, then click ″Schedule Appointment″ to complete the process.
- Take your printed receipt, which will include your confirmation number and appointment information
- Visit a Post Office that has self-service kiosks in the lobby to complete your transaction. US Postal Service locations may be found by clicking on the link.
- When you first arrive at the self-service kiosk, tap the screen to begin, then pick ″Other Services,″ then ″Passport Scheduler.″
- Then choose the type of passport service you require, followed by the number of adults and kids that require appointments
- Choose a Post Office location by searching for it using a ZIP CodeTM or by city and state
- Accept the Terms and Conditions after selecting a convenient appointment day and time.
- Choose whether or not you want to receive SMS text notifications by entering your contact information
- Finalize your information by reviewing and confirming it, then clicking on ″Schedule Appointment.″
- Take your printed receipt, which will include your confirmation number and appointment information.
- Payment to the State Department is included with your application package. Payments to the State Department are collected separately from fees to the United States Postal Service. Fees Charged by the State Department The State Department charges a variety of costs for passports. Passport fees may be calculated online.
- Methods of Making Payments to the State Department Please keep in mind that you will not be able to pay State Department fees using credit or debit cards. There are several methods of payment available, including personal, certified, cashier’s, or traveler’s checks made payable to ″U.S. Department of State,″ and money orders made payable to ″U.S. Department of State.″ Cash, a debit card, or a traveler’s check are all acceptable forms of payment for money orders purchased at the Post Office. You will not be able to pay with a credit card.
- It might take up to 4 weeks from the date of your application for your application status to be changed to ″In Process.″ These four weeks are spent delivering and processing your application, as well as scanning and sending it to the U.S.
- Department of State, among other things.
- For the most up-to-date information, visit the U.S.
- Department of State’s website (passportstatus.state.gov).
- Further details on the Department of State’s current processing timeframes may be found on the page ″Passport Operations in Response to COVID-19″ on their website.
- A minor’s passport cannot be renewed over the mail; instead, you must submit a fresh, first-time passport application in person if you want to renew a minor’s passport.
- If your adult passport satisfies certain standards, you may be able to renew it by mail.
- If you respond ″Yes″ to all five of the following items, you will be able to renew your adult passport by mail: Your travel documents:
- If you have it in your possession, please include it with your application.
- Other than natural ″wear and tear,″ the item is in good condition.
- Was issued to you when you were 16 years old or older
- This document was published during the previous 15 years.
- The document was issued under your present name, or you can provide documentation of your name change. (Name changes are detailed in further detail on the Change a Passport page.)
If your passport does not fulfill all of these standards, you should not send in your renewal application to the USPS. You must prepare the same application package as if you were applying for a passport for the first time. Department of State Renewal by Mail
Step 2: Prepare Your Application Package
For passport renewals, make your application as soon as possible because many nations demand that your passport be valid for at least six months after you visit their country. How to correctly prepare your application package and ensure that it has all of the essential paperwork so that your passport may be completed in a timely manner.
Step 3: Mail Your Renewal Application
- When mailing your renewal application, the Department of State advises that you use a delivery tracking service provided by the United States Postal Service. Select one of the following services from the list: Service with Delivery Confirmation from the United States Postal Service
- Service with Signature Confirmation from the United States Postal Service
- Service with Overnight Delivery Confirmation from the United States Postal Service
- Service with Signature Confirmation from the United States Postal Service
- Service with Overnight Delivery Confirmation from the United States Postal Service
Delivery Tracking Services are compared.
Step 4: Follow Your Application Progress
- If you utilize a USPS delivery tracking service, you may check the status of your shipment at USPS Tracking® to see when it has been delivered. Utilizing USPS tracking, you may determine when your application was received by entering the tracking number on your receipt
- it may take up to 4 weeks from the date of application until your application status is ″In Process.″ These four weeks are spent delivering and processing your application, as well as scanning and sending it to the U.S. Department of State, among other things. For the most up-to-date information, visit the U.S. Department of State’s website (passportstatus.state.gov). Please see the Department of State’s website ″Passport Operations in Response to COVID-19″ for more information on current processing timeframes.
- You may check on the progress of your application on the Department of State’s website 5-6 weeks after you have filed it.
USPS Tracking Status
Get a New Passport Faster in Emergencies & Special Cases
- Sending your passport application via Priority Mail Express® service and paying the State Department charge for speedier delivery is an option if you need your passport sooner for an emergency trip or another extraordinary circumstance. Traveling within 72 hours (3 business days) for an immediate family member who is deceased, dying, or suffering from a life-threatening sickness or injury is permitted under the following conditions: Consult the Life-or-Death Emergencies page on travel.state.gov to see whether or not you are qualified to get assistance
- This type of request is only accepted by appointment with the State Department.
- Your appointment must be scheduled within 72 hours (3 business days) before your departure date.
- To book an appointment with the State Department Passport Agency if you will be traveling in less than 10 weeks, you must contact the following number: To arrange an appointment, please contact 1-877-487-2778 (1-888-874-7793 TDD/TTY) or click here.
- Travel documentation and evidence of travel are required, and your appointment date must be within 72 hours (3 business days) after your arrival
Please keep in mind that there are a very limited number of appointments available for clients who are traveling overseas within the next 72 hours (3 business days), and that there are additional limitations. I Need My Passport in a Hurry!
Renew Your Passport Fast
- Paying an extra $60 for expedited service and mailing your application by Priority Mail Express, you may get your passport renewed in as little as ten weeks. Check your eligibility in Step 1: Renew Your Passport by Mail to see whether you qualify. Check if you are eligible to renew your membership by mail
- Prepare your application in accordance with the instructions provided under Renew a Passport by Mail, Step 2: Preparing Your Application Package is essential.
- These additional fees, which are both due to the United States Department of State, should be included on top of your standard processing fees.
- A fee of $60.00 for expedited application processing at the State Department
- 1 to 2 day delivery service for faster return shipping from the State Department
- $18.32—express shipment service for faster return shipping from the State Department
- The outside of the package should be clearly labeled ″EXPEDITE.″
Priority Mail Express is the fastest way to get your application to the State Department. The cost varies depending on where you live.
- Where Can I Get a Passport? Children under the age of 16 who wish to apply for a Fast Passport must meet certain prerequisites. The issuing of a child’s passport requires the approval of both parents or guardians. The most effective approach to obtain consent is for both parents/guardians to accompany the kid when he or she applies.
- Children require proof of citizenship, while parents/guardians require proof of their parental ties with their children.
- Please keep in mind that children’s passports are only valid for 5 years.
Fill out an application for a Minor’s Passport.
Can I Renew a Passport at the Post Office?
- Nothing, just like summer vacations, lasts indefinitely; the same can be said about obtaining a passport.
- Despite the fact that 10 years seems like a long time, everything has an expiration date.
- Getting your passport renewed at any passport acceptance institution, including the post office, is not an option when it comes to renewing your travel documents.
- Passport applications for the first time are only accepted at the post office.
Renewing a Passport by Mail
- As previously stated, renewing a passport at the post office is not an option in this situation. And, as a result of the large number of Americans who travel, even though the passport application process is time-consuming and expensive, they are left with little option since, without a passport, travel to the vast majority of nations is not feasible. As a result, the United States government developed a better passport renewal alternative that streamlines the whole procedure — passport renewal by mail. In order to renew your passport by mail, you must submit a form (DS-82), a new passport photo, and an old passport along with a fee to the U.S. Department of State. This renewal procedure might take up to a month in most cases. A renewal by mail, on the other hand, is only feasible if all of the following facts are true: While a person has the original (expired) passport, the following conditions are met: the passport is not damaged, it was issued when a person was not a juvenile (16 years or older), it is in your present name – no legal name change has taken place
- Having established the foregoing, it is not possible to renew one’s passport over the mail.
- Because of the large number of Americans who travel, even though the passport application process is time-consuming and expensive, they don’t have much of a choice because travel to the vast majority of nations is not feasible without a passport.
- The United States government responded by developing an enhanced alternative for passport renewal that streamlines the whole procedure — passport renewal through mail.
- In order to renew your passport by mail, you must submit a form (DS-82), a new passport photo, and an old passport along with a fee to the State Department of Homeland Security.
- In most cases, this operation takes up to a month to conclude.
- Only if all of the following facts are true and correct may you renew by mail.
- While a person has the original (expired) passport, the following conditions are met: the passport is not damaged, it was issued when a person was not a juvenile (16 years or older), it is in your present name – no legal name change has been done;
What to do when a Passport was Lost, Damaged, or Stolen
- Individuals who are unable to renew their passports by mail owing to unforeseen circumstances will be required to reapply for their passports in the same manner as they did when they initially applied for their passport.
- The passport service must be notified as soon as possible if your passport has been lost or stolen, in order to prevent someone from using your passport without your permission.
- When the passport service is notified, they immediately suspend the passport’s ability to travel.
- It is also essential that you notify the authorities so that no identity fraud may be performed.
- Passports that have been lost or stolen more than once will result in a shortened validity period for the next passport issued to the individual.
- When a person loses more than two passports, passport services issue passports for a shorter amount of time than is normally the case (1-10 years).
- In the event that a passport has been damaged, a separate procedure must be followed.
- When submitting an application for a replacement passport, it would be necessary to submit any damaged passports.
- Replacement applications can be submitted both online and using a paper application form.
When submitting an online application, applicants must ensure that their passport has been identified as ‘damaged.’ When filing a paper application, applicants must complete Section 6 of the application, which explains why and how the passport was damaged.If your passport is lost, stolen, or destroyed while you are on vacation, you must notify it to the nearest Embassy or Consulate as soon as possible.Documentation for returning home would be supplied, but a new passport would need to be obtained once the individual returned home.When applying for a new passport, applicants must complete a DS-11 form and provide all necessary supporting documentation, including proof of identification and citizenship, as well as fresh passport pictures and a cost.In this particular instance, the mail option is inapplicable.
- Applicants must schedule an appointment with the passport acceptance center and allow a representative to assess the application as well as any supporting documentation.
- Then you’d have to sign the application in front of an administrator under oath and pay a fee to complete the process.
How to take a Correct Passport Photo?
- One of the most common mistakes people make when applying for a passport is uploading an erroneous passport photo, which results in an automatic refusal. As a result, it is critical that you get familiar with passport photo rules and that you utilize expert services, such as our dependable U.S. passport photo maker, to complete your application. Here are some of the things that an applicant should be aware of and avoid in order for their photo to be accepted. First and foremost, the picture specification is as follows: In order to apply in the traditional manner, the photo’s size must be 22 inches (51 51 mm), the background color must be clear white, the photo must be colored, the image must be free of shadows and clearly focused, the photo must be printed on high-quality paper, and the photo must be submitted in person.
- When posing for a photograph, candidates must look ahead with their eyes wide and their lips shut. Smiling or frowning is not authorized, and images taken when a person is smiling or frowning will not be accepted. For the duration of the photograph, all headgear (including scarves, caps, hats, and headbands) must be removed unless the participant has a medical condition or has a religious belief that prohibits them from doing so. Glasses may be worn if they are considered to be an integral part of a person’s identity. Regarding attire, persons must dress in comfortable clothes for passport pictures – no uniforms or white garments are acceptable. When it comes to taking a passport photo, many people believe that it is the least crucial aspect of the passport application process. This isn’t the case at all. The use of the incorrect photo might cause the application to be delayed or even rejected. As a result, it is important to be aware of the most prevalent blunders. The following are some examples of common mistakes:Applicants are not facing forward
- A person is smiling
- Shadows are present on the image
- Person is wearing a cap or hat
- Poor focus – picture is blurry
- Photo has colorful background
- Person is using social media filters for their photo
- Incorrect sizing
- Person is holding something in the image
- Hair obstructs the image
- Piercings obstruct the image
- Face is not visible from chin to forehead
- Visit Passport-Photo.Online if you want to learn more about the standards and rules for U.S. passport photographs, or if you want a professional software to handle the shooting of your new passport photo for you – one of the simplest and fastest ways to receive a legal passport photo. What Are the Best Free Passport Photo Tools?
- Oh No! My Passport Application Was Rejected
- What Should I Do?
- What to Do in the Event of a Lost or Stolen Passport, and How to Recover It
- Victoria graduated with honors from the famous Manchester Metropolitan University with a degree in International Business Management, where she got extensive experience in marketing, management, and human resources.
- Wiktoria has finished her volunteer work at Angoville as a youth coach for persons in transition.
- Her ambitions are related with self-development, a glamorous job, and visits to exotic locations.
How to Renew a U.S. Passport at the Post Office
- Article to be downloaded article to be downloaded Passports are issued by the Department of State of the United States to allow individuals to travel across international boundaries and return home.
- Many United States Postal Service (USPS) locations prov