You only need to sign for packages in certain areas or when it’s required by the sender. UPS My Choice TM members can sign online for eligible packages before a scheduled delivery. Or, if you prefer, you can redirect the package to another location where someone can sign on your behalf.
The signature requirement or type of signature requirement is selected by the shipper when they are creating the shipping label. However, signatures are always required for many types of shipments to be delivered, such as permitted shipments of alcohol, high value package goods, dangerous goods, hazardous materials, pharmaceuticals, and firearms.
When do packages need to be signed for?
Answer Wiki. Packages only need to be signed for if they were shipped with a signature request, or have a value over a certain amount. There are a couple of reasons why they require signature.
What does it mean when a package needs a signature?
Generally, this means a delivery service would have left the item at your door, but it required a signature. The United Parcel Service (UPS) offers this perk to shippers who want to make sure the package gets in the right hands at a cost of a few extra bucks, but often they’ll skip it unless the item has a high value.
How do I know if my package requires a signature?
How do I know if my USPS package requires a signature? You’ll receive notifications from USPS, or see the requirement on your USPS tracking page using the information sent to you by the shipper. A shipping label requiring you to append your signature will also be attached to the package.
Why does my package require a signature?
Adult Signature Required is a service that ensures that the recipient of the mail items is at least 21 years of age or above. The recipient or a resident of the recipient’s address is required to show a form of photo identification to the delivery employee for age confirmation.
Do USPS packages require a signature?
USPS is not in the habit of requiring a signature for every package they deliver. Instead, customers may add on the Signature Confirmation service for important deliveries. This service only costs a few dollars, and provides a certain peace of mind.
Does First Class package require signature?
Shippers may purchase Signature Confirmation with the following mail classes and services: First Class Mail (packages only), Priority Mail, First Class Package Service (packages only), Media Mail (packages only), Collect on Delivery, Insured Mail, Registered Mail, Restricted Delivery (if COD, Registered Mail, or
How do I get USPS to leave package without signature?
USPS Electronic Signature Online (USPS eSOL™) is a new offering that allows customers to electronically sign for their Priority Mail Express® (PME), and Signature Confirmation™, and insured items over $500, thus authorizing carriers/clerks to deliver their items without capturing a physical signature.
How do I avoid a signature UPS?
If you can’t presign or want a safer alternative, you can tell UPS to leave the package at your nearest UPS Store or Access Point location, such as CVS or Michaels. Simply go to your package’s tracking page and look for the ‘Change Delivery’ button.
Can USPS leave package at door?
Recipients can also ask the Postal Service to leave their packages at a specific location, such as a front or back door, or garage or porch.
How much does UPS signature cost?
The Cost of UPS Signature Required
UPS Signature Required: $5.55 per parcel. UPS Adult Signature Required: $6.70 per parcel. UPS Delivery Confirmation: $2 per parcel.
I won’t be home to sign for my package. What should I do?: UPS
You only need to sign for shipments in specific places or when the sender specifically requests that you do so.Members of the UPS My ChoiceTM program can sign for qualifying items online before a scheduled delivery.Alternatively, if you want, you may have the parcel delivered to a different place where someone can sign on your behalf instead.If the sender has stated that an adult signature is necessary, you will not be able to request delivery release online unless the sender has specified otherwise.
- You can, on the other hand, refer it to a UPS customer service center.
- If you’ve specified in your UPS My Choice settings that deliveries be left with a specific individual, such as a concierge or office manager, you will not be able to authorize release through the website.
- You have the option of having your item left at a UPS site, such as The UPS Store or a UPS Access Point® location, or you can modify your delivery instructions entirely.
- Also bear in mind that, depending on the ultimate location, additional transportation expenses may be required.
Instructions for Making Changes to My Driver To return a UPS InfoNotice® that has already been delivered, you must sign on the reverse of the notice and leave it where the delivery vehicle was previously parked.
FedEx signature requirements and delivery options
If a shipment requires either an indirect, direct, or adult signature and a delivery attempt is made but no one is present to sign for the box, the driver will leave a door tag at the recipient’s door, indicating that the parcel has been delivered successfully.If a signature is not required, the package will be left at the door of the intended recipient.It is customary for the driver to attempt to deliver the product up to three times when a signature is requested.If a label has been affixed to the reverse of the tag, it indicates that the driver was unable to leave the box owing to signature requirements or that the product was deemed unsafe for delivery..
- FedEx may no longer automatically reattempt delivery in those circumstances, and the box will be transferred to a FedEx site near you where it will be kept until you are able to pick it up.
- It is written on the door tag that the pickup location address, business hours, and the time when the parcel will be available are all listed.
- For pick-up, the door badge as well as a government-issued picture ID are required.
- Please contact 1.800.463.3339 if you would want FedEx to reattempt a delivery.
Sign up for FedEx Delivery Manager to request that your box be held at a FedEx facility until you can pick it up.This will help you avoid missing deliveries.You should follow the directions on the door tag if you have previously missed a delivery and have received a door tag to guarantee that your delivery is made on the next try.It is possible to sign electronically using the FedEx Delivery Manager app or on fedex.com if your cargo requires an indirect signature; however, you will be unable to sign electronically for parcels needing an adult or direct signature.In order to meet the adult or direct signature criteria, you must sign in person.Using FedEx Delivery Manager, if you know ahead of time that you will not be there to sign for your delivery, you can select one of the choices listed below while using FedEx Delivery Manager: For no additional fee, you can have your box held at a FedEx facility for up to 10 days for FedEx Ground shipments and up to 5 days for FedEx Express shipments if you choose this option.
You can either reroute your product to a different address or set a different delivery time. There will be a charge for this service.
If the signature requested is an indirect signature, you can sign for the shipment electronically using your phone or your computer. Electronic signatures are not permitted on deliveries that need the signature of an adult or a direct recipient.
If you are not home when we attempt to deliver your item that requires a signature, we will leave a door tag with the important information you need regarding your package pickup or delivery.After receiving a doortag, you will need to choose one of the following options: Install the FedEx®Mobile app on your smartphone and scan the barcode on your door tag.You will be provided with specific information regarding your missed shipment as well as your available delivery options in a timely manner.
Find out where your doortag is by going online and inputting the tracking number that is printed on the bottom of it.
48773 will get a text message containing the phrase follow and your door tag number (which may be found at the bottom of the doortag) (ex: follow DT999999999999).
Sign the form on the back and attach it to your door tag (if eligible). If you are given the opportunity to fill out a form and have your signature placed on a door tag, you can do so by following the instructions on the form and signing it as instructed. This will permit delivery the next working day. This is only applicable for signatures obtained through indirect means.
Some doortags will have a label attached to the back of them if the driver was unable to leave the box owing to signature requirements or package safety concerns, for example. If this occurs, FedEx may no longer automatically reattempt delivery, and the item will be sent to a FedEx station near you where it will be kept until you are able to retrieve it.
How to Know If Your UPS Shipment Needs a Signature
- If you work during normal business hours, you’ve probably experienced the agony of getting home to discover a sticky note on your door saying ″Sorry we missed you.″ In most cases, this implies that a delivery service placed the goods at your door, but it required a signature to complete the transaction.
- The United Parcel Service (UPS) offers this service to shippers who want to ensure that their packages reach their intended recipients at the expense of a few more dollars, although most of the time they will pass on it unless the item is of great value.
- However, if this occurs, you will be required to travel to the nearest UPS pickup facility unless you are certain that you will be at home the next time UPS attempts to deliver your item.
- In order to make the necessary arrangements, it is beneficial to be aware that a signature will be requested in advance.
- How to Determine Whether Your UPS Package Requires a Signature Photograph courtesy of interstid/iStock/Getty Images
Verify Shipment Method
- If you have received any emails from the sender, reviewing those communications is the best approach to figure out how your UPS shipment was dispatched.
- It’s possible that anything in the email will show which delivery alternatives were selected by the recipient.
- If not, have a look at the UPS tracking website for more information.
- If it doesn’t yield any results, consider contacting UPS to inquire.
- Some things, by their very nature, need the addition of a signature to ensure receipt.
- UPS mandates that alcoholic beverages and guns be transported using Adult Signature Required, which is somewhat more expensive but requires that someone over the age of 21 be present to sign the package.
Especially if the item being delivered requires a high-dollar transaction with a stranger, the sender is more likely to have included signature confirmation in order to have proof that not only did the item arrive, but that someone in your household accepted delivery of it.
- Even shipping companies are conscious of the fact that their delivery windows conflict with the everyday schedule of the ordinary consumer.
- Previously, receivers could get around the problem by having items delivered to their place of employment, but the rise of internet shopping has prompted many workplaces to forbid this practice.
- Instead, delivery providers have devised their own workarounds to accommodate folks who work 9 to 5.
- For UPS, this convenience is given through MyChoice, a service that allows users to select delivery times in advance of receiving their packages.
- If you pick this option, you can choose someone else to sign for you or have your shipment delivered to a UPS customer care center instead.
- UPS Access Point TM allows you to permit your items to be delivered to a location nearby that has extended business hours, such as a retail store.
Depending on the situation, you may be able to sign either in advance or on the spot, but keep in mind that certain shippers will only route items to a recipient’s residence.In the event that you’re anxiously anticipating a UPS cargo, you won’t have to sit at home for several days.You can find out exactly when your shipment will arrive and whether or not you will be required to be there at the time it arrives by combining a number of different services.
When and who should sign the proof of delivery when receiving a package
- You have just got your parcel and are eager to open it and sign anything the delivery driver delivers you as soon as possible. Before signing anything, you should, however, carefully examine the contents of the package. Although you may not believe it, this is an important document that serves to demonstrate the condition in which you got your delivery. In order for a package to be considered delivered in good order and condition, the recipient must sign the proof of delivery (POD). The POD typically comprises the following information: the time and date of delivery
- the name of the receiver
- and his or her signature.
The POD is similar in appearance to a receipt, with the exception that it serves a distinct purpose. Its objective is to provide evidence that the parcel was delivered in excellent condition by the courier driver.
How to sign for the POD for the package?
You get the POD either in physical or electronic form and by signing it the recipient confirms that the delivery has been completed successfully, without any problems. As we mentioned earlier, the POD does not only stand as proof of delivery, but it also stands as proof for its good condition.
Why is this important to sign the POD?
The POD serves as the starting point for the claim procedure for any damages, and if the recipient has signed this document, it may be difficult to make a claim. Learn more about how to file a claim in the event of damage or loss by reading this article.
Who should sign the proof of delivery for the package?
- It is preferable if the person who signs the POD corresponds to the person who will receive the package. If the indicated recipient is unable to be physically present at the delivery location at the specified delivery time, he or she may appoint another person to accept the parcel on his or her behalf. It is important in such instances that the receiver informs the designated person about the necessity of inspecting the item before signing the POD
- many courier companies now give the option of signing for your cargo online. You may even request that they leave it at your door if that is more convenient. It is also important to be familiar with the laws governing the delivery and receipt of packages in your nation. Certain nations, such as the United Kingdom, have laws that hold the nominated person accountable for the condition of the item if the receiver designates someone else to accept the delivery on their behalf. Learn more about the reasons why packages are frequently damaged.
- It is critical to understand that not only should you exercise extreme caution when requesting someone else to sign for your shipment, but you should also exercise caution when being asked to sign on someone else’s behalf.
- When it comes to consumer rights, deliveries received by anybody other than you fall into a gray area.
- As a result, it is difficult to provide evidence on the state of the shipment.
- It is possible that the sender will argue that distributing the item to your neighbor or another individual is no different from supplying it straight to you.
- They could try to use this as an excuse to deny you reimbursement in your situation.
- Keep in mind, however, that you still have legal rights and should register a formal complaint!
If you have never given your neighbour permission to sign on your behalf, the process becomes much simpler.
What should I check for before signing the POD?
- Before signing any paper from the courier service, you must pay special attention to what you are signing. Most importantly, always inspect the box and its contents to see whether there are any visible signs of damage. Because there was a checkbox that said that the sender did not properly package the shipment, it may be difficult to file a claim for damages. The courier businesses may later use your personal information to deny any claims you make
- there isn’t enough time to tick the box, or the courier driver refuses to allow you to do so. Another option in this situation would be to sign your name and add ″unchecked″ next to your signature. Keep in mind, however, that simply writing down what you think you saw in the package without seeing it does not ensure that your claims will be recognized.
Can the courier driver refuse to allow me to open the package?
- When delivering a package, the courier driver often enables the receiver to check their package before signing a quick proof of delivery. However, there have been several cases in which they have bluntly refused to grant such a request. There are a variety of factors contributing to this. It is possible that the courier driver was not properly briefed by the service provider for which he or she works.
- The reason for this might be that they have a restricted time window in which to deliver a large number of goods
- also, they could be concerned about having to bear responsibility in the event of any damages.
- Indeed, it is sometimes difficult to discover a particular guidance in the couriers’ legal requirements about the process of checking the item prior to signing the POD, especially when the cargo is large.
- A number of courier firms have also instituted their own policies, such as permitting the recipient to open the package only if the sender has signaled that it is okay to do so.
- However, even if the courier’s side does not have any explicit responsibilities to allow you to inspect your item, we highly advise you to insist on doing so, particularly if there are obvious outward damages to the box, before signing the delivery receipt.
- Furthermore, it is important to research the legal environment in your nation with regard to the duties of courier service providers before beginning any operation.
- If you are not the recipient of a damaged or missing package, but rather the shipper, read on to discover more about how to file a shipping insurance claim.
- Sending your cargo with Eurosender can help you avoid any potential hazards.
Eurosender exclusively interacts with the most dependable courier service providers, ensuring that your things are in excellent hands during the shipping process.Do you have any more questions?Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us.
How Do You Know If You Have to Sign for a UPS Delivery?
- A receiver normally does not know whether or not a signature is required by UPS until the box arrives; the sender of the package usually selects whether or not a signature is required by UPS by selecting the Delivery Confirmation Signature Required option.
- Some UPS drivers may require that deliveries on their routes be signed for, but recipients who do not wish to be required to be present to accept a package can enroll in a special program that allows them to opt out of signing and authorizes UPS to leave packages without signatures at their residence.
- The UPS My Choice initiative allows package receivers to choose whether or not they want to sign for their items.
- This service is available online, but it may not be available in locations where items cannot be delivered without a signature, and it may not be available if the sender has expressly selected Delivery Confirmation Signature Required on the delivery confirmation form.
- The function, which is referred to as Authorize Shipment Release, is applicable to all future shipments after the user has signed up for it.
- After signing up for the UPS My Choice program, it usually begins working within 5 minutes of the enrollment process being completed.
In order to receive items that require signatures, UPS customers who choose My Choice will need to allow each package delivery individually.This may be accomplished by tracking the parcel online and selecting the Provide Delivery Instructions option.ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FROM REFERENCE.COM
Some points to consider when signing for packages
- Many consumers consider signing for parcels to be an inconvenient and time-consuming hassle.
- After all, there are instances when it’s tough to remain at home and wait, even if you’re in a hurry to receive your package.
- Don’t be concerned.
- If a delivery cannot be completed, DHL will contact you to provide you with alternative convenient delivery choices, ensuring that the next delivery by our courier is able to take place.
- What is On-Demand Delivery (ODD) and how does it work?
- If you know that you will not be at home to receive your cargo, you can request that we arrange for delivery on another working day within 7 days of the time you specify.
- Once again, if we do not hear from you, we will attempt to deliver the package.
- If you make a purchase from an online company that collaborates with DHL, you will almost always receive an email with links to the various delivery choices available.
- That comes in helpful!
- Please note that we can also transport your package to your neighbors if you have arranged this with us in advance (signature release).
- This is an option inside On-Demand Delivery that has been agreed upon by both the sender and the recipient.
Your neighbours will then be allowed to accept packages on your behalf if you are not present.There are no additional fees associated with this.
If we were unable to deliver your shipment to the location specified by the sender on the waybill during our first delivery attempt, we can make a second effort to deliver your shipment to that address. Depending on when we receive your input, we will do this task the following working day. In the same way, there are no additional fees associated with this.
- When you are no longer able to get the shipment through one of these methods, what happens next?
- There is also the option to arrange for your box to be delivered to a nearby DHL Service Point, where you can then pick up your parcel whenever it is most convenient for you.
- You will also be required to sign for the shipment if you choose this option.
- To ensure that you are not restricted to business hours, the majority of DHL service points are open on Saturdays and in the evening.
USPS Signature Required Explained (+ FAQ)
- Important Points:USPS Signature Confirmation is a value-added service that requires the recipient or a responsible party to sign for the release of a package
- USPS Adult Signature Confirmation requires someone 21 years or older to sign for the package
- USPS Express Signature Confirmation requires someone 21 years or older to sign for the package
- The USPS Signature Confirmation service is only available for shipments within the United States.
- It is now more vital than ever to ensure that packages are delivered safely. Nowadays, internet buyers have come to anticipate dependability from online retailers. Meanwhile, parcel theft (also known as porch piracy) is becoming more prevalent. Signature confirmation services assist you in ensuring that shipments arrive in the condition that they were intended. Signature Confirmation is a value-added service provided by the United States Postal Service that requires the receiver or a responsible person to sign for the delivery of an item. This service provides peace of mind to both shippers and consumers, which is especially important for companies shipping high-value products. It is only available for delivery within the United States. There are four delivery confirmation services offered by the United States Postal Service for a modest fee: USPS Signature Confirmation, USPS Adult Signature Confirmation, USPS Restricted Delivery, and USPS Adult Signature Restricted Delivery.
- In this article, we will go through Signature Confirmation and other comparable USPS services in further detail.
- Do you want to save money on USPS shipping?
- Easyship provides you with immediate savings of up to 89 percent off the USPS retail rates.
- You’ll also save money on more than 250 international shipping solutions, including UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Try our shipping free shipping rates calculator to get an idea of the savings you can expect.
Table of Contents
- 01 What is USPS Signature Confirmation and how does it work?
- 02 The Cost of Signature Confirmation by the United States Postal Service 03 Restrictions on the Use of the United States Postal Service Signature Required 04 How to Make Use of the United States Postal Service Signature Confirmation Easyship offers five different USPS signature options.
- 06 Frequently Asked Questions About USPS Shipping Confirmation
What is USPS Signature Confirmation?
- Signature Confirmation is a value-added service provided by the United States Postal Service that requires the receiver or a responsible person to sign for the delivery of their item. In other words, the package cannot be delivered unless the receiver is physically there to accept it. They must also present a valid picture identification card to prove their identity. The parcel will not be delivered until a signature has been acquired from the recipient. When a package is delivered, the United States Postal Service (USPS) notifies the sender by sending a delivery confirmation. The date, time, and place of delivery are all included in this information. Packages that are not signed for are returned to the delivery hub where they were first delivered. The delivery person leaves a paper notice as well as an online message to let you know that a delivery attempt has been made and that another effort will be made shortly. Using these alerts, a shipper may check on the status of a shipment and determine whether or not it has been delivered securely. Meanwhile, the receiver may be confident that their order will only be in their possession when it is intended. The United States Postal Service (USPS) provides four delivery confirmation services, including: Signature Confirmation through the United States Postal Service: The shipment can be signed for by the receiver or any other responsible adult in the home.
- Adult Signature Confirmation (USPS): The shipment must be signed for by someone who is 21 years or older.
- Only a specific person may sign for and receive the parcel when it is delivered via USPS Restricted Delivery. You must use this service in conjunction with another additional service, such as Signature Required, Certified Mail, Collect on Delivery (COD), Insured Mail (over $500), or Registered Mail. USPS Adult Signature Restricted Delivery: Only a specified adult can sign for and receive the package. USPS Adult Signature Restricted Delivery: Only a specified adult can sign for and receive the package. It is only possible to use this service if you send certified mail, insured mail (above $500), COD mail, or registered mail.
The United States Postal Service (USPS) offers the option for recipients to sign for their parcels online.
Benefits of USPS Signature Confirmation
- It is possible that receiving delivery confirmation will make you and the receiver feel more at peace. Particularly relevant in the case of high-value and sensitive cargo
- Delivery with care: The USPS Adult Signature Confirmation service helps to verify that sensitive goods such as alcohol or CBD products are handled by responsible adults.
The Cost of USPS Signature Confirmation
- The service of signature confirmation can be ordered in conjunction with your shipping label for a nominal cost. Signature Confirmation from the United States Postal Service and similar services can be obtained for the following shipping services: Priority Mail, Parcel Select, First Class, Media Mail, Retail Ground, and Package Services are some of the options available.
- As an added bonus, Priority Mail Express packages are automatically provided with signature confirmation services. The cost of USPS Signature Confirmation and its variations varies depending on the service. You may purchase these services via the United States Postal Service website, shipping providers such as Easyship, or at a Post Office location. The following are the fees for delivery confirmation services provided by the United States Postal Service: Signature of the United States Postal Service Required: Postage at the post office is $3.20
- USPS.com or Easyship is $2.70
- USPS Adult Signature Required:
- Delivery by the United States Postal Service with Restrictions: A signature confirmation costs $8.10 online and $8.60 at the post office
- certified mail costs $9.15 and COD costs $5.40
- insured mail costs $5.40 and registered mail costs $5.34
- registered mail costs $5.34 and insured mail costs $5.40.
- USPS Adult Signature Restricted Delivery:
Restrictions of USPS Signature Required
- There are certain limitations to USPS Signature Confirmation and related services, including the following: It is only accessible for domestic shipments within the United States that USPS Signature Confirmation is utilized. When shipping internationally, this service is accessible to you.
- The package must be more than 3/4 inch thick in order to be considered for delivery. During transportation, thinner things must be packed in a sturdy box or container so that they do not lose their shape or collapse
- Limited availability: USPS Signature Confirmation is not accessible for mail delivered to APO/FPO/DPO addresses or parcels addressed to ZIP codes in certain Freely Associated States and Territories, as noted below:
How to Use USPS Signature Confirmation
- Signature confirmation services function in the same way as standard USPS tracking services.
- The tracking page for your cargo will provide you with the most up-to-date information on the progress of your shipment.
- You can also contact the United States Postal Service’s customer service number.
- If the addressee is not at home, the driver of the United States Postal Service leaves a letter.
- This letter informs the receiver of the next planned delivery time as well as the address of the nearest Post Office where they can pick up their parcel.
- The United States Postal Service will make a further 1-2 delivery efforts after the first.
Undeliverable packages that have not been delivered after a few tries are kept at the local Post Office for 15 days before being returned to the sender.
USPS Signature Options With Easyship
- Is a signature required by the United States Postal Service?
- Unless you acquire Signature Confirmation or equivalent services, you will not be able to.
- For a few dollars, you can ensure that your shipment reaches its final destination safely.
- In the event that you’re delivering valuable or expensive things, one of the USPS signature needed services may be right for you.
- Customers may save up to 89 percent off all USPS retail prices by using Easyship to send their packages.
- Take, for example, the savings you’d receive if you sent an 8-pound item from New York to Denver using a shipping calculator.
Considering the savings of 66 percent over USPS Priority Express, the $29.99 monthly charge for Easyship pays for itself in a relatively short period of time.Alternatively, if you ship 100 or less parcels every month, Easyship is completely free for you.Are you ready to start putting money aside?
Create a free Easyship account to get started.FAQs about USPS Shipping ConfirmationCan I opt out of USPS’s signature confirmation program?Yes, you can opt out of the United States Postal Service’s signature confirmation requirement, allowing the carrier to deliver mail without the recipient’s signature.What is the best way to determine whether my USPS shipment requires a signature?You will get alerts from USPS, or you will see the requirement on your USPS tracking page if the shipper has provided you with the necessary information.
A shipping label requiring your signature will also be affixed to the shipment, which you will need to sign.Is it possible to provide signature confirmation after shipping?No.
When shipping, this service must be bought either online at usps.com or in person at the Post Office during normal business hours.When it comes to certified mail, what is the difference between that and signature confirmation?Certified mail provides the sender with a postal receipt as confirmation that an item was delivered on a specific date, as well as the option of requesting electronic verification of arrival if desired.Signature confirmation informs the sender of the recipient’s signature, as well as the recipient’s name, delivery date, and delivery address, among other information.Is it necessary to have a signature for Priority Mail?
Priority Mail packages are eligible for signature confirmation by the United States Postal Service.It is the shipper’s responsibility to charge a fee for adding signature requirements to their goods.What happens if you aren’t at home when a package is delivered?It is possible that delivery personnel will leave a letter at your property informing you of the next planned delivery attempt or providing you with instructions on how to pick up your item at the nearby Post Office.
Does USPS Require Signature In 2022? (Adult Signature + More)
- Because the United States Postal Service transports billions of products throughout the country, it might seem a little risky to send anything through the mail system.
- Despite this, the organization functions as if it were a well-oiled machine.
- However, if you have ever received one of their bright pink slips, you will be well aware that you have missed a delivery and will need to go pick it up.
- So, does the United States Postal Service demand a signature for package deliveries?
- Here’s everything you need to know: The USPS only demands a signature if the sender or receiver has purchased the Signature Confirmation add-on for the USPS service Signature.
- Typically, this additional charge is only paid to more valuable items that are vulnerable to theft or damage from the rain.
If a signature is required, any member of the household will be able to sign on behalf of the intended recipient.Continue reading to discover more about why the United States Postal Service wants a signature at times, how you may determine if your package requires a signature in advance, how to include Signature Confirmation, and other topics.
Why Does USPS Require Signature?
- Only when the shipper has requested it as part of the add-on service Signature Confirmation does the United States Postal Service need a signature.
- In the shipping industry, there are several reasons why a shipper would want to need a signature upon delivery of their package.
- The majority of shippers who are delivering anything expensive want to ensure that the box is in the hands of someone and taken indoors as quickly as possible.
- Otherwise, they incur the chance of having an item left outdoors, where it is vulnerable to theft or damage (for example, if it is pouring or snowing, or if it is windy enough to pick up the box).
- EasyShip.com reminds out that it is preferable to know that a delivery containing alcohol or CBD has arrived in responsible hands when shipping these items.
How Do You Know If Your USPS Package Requires A Signature?
- It’s possible that unless the shipper informs you in advance that a signature will be necessary, you will not know that someone must be present to accept the delivery if you are the intended recipient.
- Tracking your USPS delivery as normal will reveal whether or not a signature is necessary for your package to be delivered.
- If your shipment is required to be signed for, you will be notified on the tracking results page.
- The United States Postal Service also tells you in advance, but the best chance is to examine your tracking results for the information.
How Can You Add USPS Signature Confirmation To A Package?
- Consider the guts and bolts of USPS Signature Confirmation, as well as how to include it in your mailings. What It Does and How It Works Signature Confirmation from the United States Postal Service is a low-cost add-on service that may be added to First-Class Packages (both retail and commercial), as well as Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express packages. In addition, it can be used with other package services such as Retail Ground and Parcel Select. It is possible to include Signature Confirmation both in-store and online. It does not trace the shipment
- rather, it gives evidence that the box has reached human hands by the signature of a responsible person in residence (i.e., not a kid). The United States Postal Service has provided an example of a signature receipt here. The shipper receives a copy of the signature and the name of the signer, as well as the date, time, and location where the package was delivered. In addition to the basic Signature Confirmation service, you have the option to upgrade to the following features: Limited Delivery with Signature Confirmation – The package can only be received by the person who is listed on the address label.
- Adult Signature Required – The shipment may only be accepted by someone who is at least 21 years old.
- Adult Signature Restricted Delivery – The package may only be received by the intended receiver, who must be 21 years of age or older
- Adult Signature Restricted Delivery is only available in the United States.
- Identification and/or proof of age must be shown to the postal carrier in order to get any of the services listed above. What It Will Set You Back Prices for Signature Confirmation services are as follows at the time of writing: Signature Confirmation (basic service) costs $3.45 at the post office and $2.90 online for all shipping services
- Signature Confirmation Restricted Delivery costs $9.30 at the post office and $8.75 online
- Adult Signature Required costs $6.90 and Adult Signature Restricted Delivery costs $7.15
- Signature Confirmation Restricted Delivery costs $9.30 and $8.75 online
- Signature Confirmation Restricted Delivery costs $9.30 and $8.75 online
- Signature Confirmation Restricted Delivery costs
How To Find Out Package Was Delivered
- If you’re the shipper, you’ll be looking forward to receiving confirmation that your goods has been delivered and accepted.
- The most efficient method of obtaining this information is to input the package’s tracking number into USPS Tracking.
- If the delivery has been delivered, you will be notified on the tracking results page.
- Assuming the message indicates ″delivered,″ you may be confident that the Signature Confirmation method you requested was achieved.
- In the event that you want further information, such as a copy of the recipient’s signature, you can do it (at no charge) from the tracking results page.
- The quickest method is to send an email request.
Will USPS Leave Package Without Signature?
- Unless Signature Confirmation was purchased by the sender, your USPS mail carrier will not leave a package unattended without receiving a signature.
- Some services, such as Priority Mail Express COD, do not require Signature Confirmation at all; however, others do.
- Upon discovering this, the sender has the option of selecting Waiver of Signature.
- This allows the postal carrier to use their best judgment at the time of delivery, allowing for a more efficient service.
- If the drop-off location appears to be safe, the carrier may choose to sign for the package themselves.
- They may choose to return the package to the post office with them, leaving a missed delivery slip for the recipient in the event that it does not arrive.
Does USPS Require An Adult Signature?
- USPS only demands an adult signature when the sender has explicitly requested this service from their postal service.
- You can pick between two types of services: Adult Signature Required and Adult Signature Restricted.
- If neither of these alternatives has been selected, but a signature is still required, the signee must be a responsible individual who lives at the house in question.
- This may include an older tween or adolescent, but it is unlikely to include a little kid under the age of 12 or 11 (who, whether they are receiving mail from the USPS or not, should not be opening the door to strangers).
What USPS Packages Require A Signature?
- Certain parcels sent by the United States Postal Service require a signature as part of the service. These include Priority Mail Express COD, Priority Mail Express COD Restricted Delivery, Priority Mail Express with extra insurance, and Priority Mail Express with a signature confirmation.
- Packages that can benefit from the addition of a Signature Confirmation service include: First-Class Package Service – Retail
- First-Class Package Service – Commercial
- Priority Mail service items
- Package Services
- USPS Retail Ground
- Parcel Select
- and other similar packages.
Know that you may include a Signature Confirmation if you are submitting via one of these latter providers. Moreover, when receiving via any of these methods, watch for the Signature Confirmation requirement on the tracking results page for the item.
What Do You Do If You Miss USPS Delivery With Signature Confirmation?
- It’s not the end of the world if you forget to sign for a package that was delivered to your door.
- It is your responsibility to present the pink slip left by the postal carrier to the post office where your package is being delivered.
- Give the slip to the postal worker, and they will come to your location to get the parcel (which you will still have to sign for, of course).
- If you are experiencing transportation difficulties, it is important to guarantee that you will be at home at the time of delivery, which you may determine with an approximate estimate from the tracking results page for your shipment.
Can You See The Signature Online For USPS Package Delivery?
- The United States Postal Service (USPS) does not make a picture of the signature obtained for Signature Confirmation packages available on the internet.
- You may, however, obtain a free copy of it by contacting the company.
- Navigate to the tracking results page for your package.
- You should be able to obtain a Proof of Delivery (POD) letter if the option is available.
- The United States Postal Service handles these requests on a daily basis, making this the most expedient method of obtaining a copy of the recipient’s signature.
- You might also be interested in learning whether or not the United States Postal Service ships to Puerto Rico, whether or not the United States Postal Service offers first class tracking, and whether or not the United States Postal Service delivers to your door.
- The United States Postal Service (USPS) is not in the practice of demanding a signature for every package they deliver.
- Rather than this, clients who need to make significant deliveries can opt for the Signature Confirmation service.
- Only a few bucks are required for this service, which gives a measure of peace of mind.
- Additionally, the United States Postal Service (USPS) offers additional specialized signature services, such as Adult Signature Required, to verify that the item is delivered into responsible hands.
USPS Signature Confirmation, Postal Service Tracking
- Postage Help Center
- USPS Signature Confirmation
What Is Signature Confirmation?
- Signature Confirmation is a service provided by the United States Postal Service that provides shippers with additional peace of mind by requiring a signature from the recipients of their items.
- Although USPS Tracking verifies that a package was delivered to a certain address, Signature Confirmation verifies that the package was really received by the designated receiver or his representative.
- In-person purchase of Signature Confirmation costs $3.45, while electronic purchase of Signature Confirmation costs $3.45 when purchased through online mailing providers such as Stamps.com Shipping companies that offer Signature Confirmation can provide shippers with the recipient’s name as well as the delivery date, time, and location; in addition, a copy of the recipient’s signature can be faxed, mailed, or e-mailed to you if you request it.
- It is possible to obtain delivery status information for up to one year following the date of delivery, and this information may be obtained online or by phone.
- Shipping companies offer Signature Confirmation with the following mail classes and services: First Class Mail (packages only), Priority Mail, First Class Package Service (packages only), Media Mail (packages only), Collect on Delivery, Insured Mail, Registered Mail, Restricted Delivery (if COD, Registered Mail, or insured for over $200), and Return Receipt (if COD, Registered Mail, or insured for over $200).
- The use of Restricted Delivery in combination with Signature Confirmation ensures that a package is received by the intended recipient (rather than the recipient’s agent).
As a result, the recipient of your delivery must provide proof of his identity before the USPS carrier may deliver the box on his behalf.
How Does Signature Confirmation Work?
- Signature Confirmation is an optional service that may be added to specific mail classes and must be bought at the time of shipping.
- It is not available for all mail classes.
- It is possible to acquire this particular service at your local post office if you are sending letters through the postal service.
- In the event that you are sending mail through Stamps.com, you can include this service in your mailpiece before printing the postage.
Benefits of using Stamps.com for Signature Confirmation
- Stamps.com makes mailing with Signature Confirmation more straightforward and cost-effective by offering a variety of stamp options.
- Customers of Stamps.com receive a $0.55 reduction off the retail fee for Signature Confirmation when compared to the general public.
- Additionally, Stamps.com allows you to save time by printing postage for all of your mailings rather of having to make a special trip to the Post Office.
- Spend less time at the post office and more time saving with Stamps.com!
Free* 5 lb. Digital Scale with
Every new customer account starts with:
- Upon registration, you will receive a free* 5 pound digital scale
- Trial term of four weeks
- $5 in USPS postage to be used throughout the trial period
- Discounts on USPS rates that are not available at the Post Office
- There are no long-term obligations, and you may cancel at any moment.
- Stay over the 4-week trial period and pay only the shipping and handling price of $17.99 each month + applicable taxes, if any, including the first month.
How to Get a UPS ″Signature Required″ Package Delivered if Nobody’s Home
- It doesn’t matter whether you’ve purchased some equipment or are shipping important company documents; UPS may request a signature from anyone present at the place or from an adult who is 21 years old or older.
- If you know ahead of time that no one will be present to sign for your item on the planned delivery day, UPS provides you the choice to reschedule the delivery, have your box delivered somewhere else, or reserve it for collection at a later date.
- Sometimes you can even presign for the shipment online, saving you the time and inconvenience of having to wait for another delivery attempt.
Understanding the UPS Delivery Process
- When you get a box through UPS, you don’t always have to be concerned about having someone accessible to sign for the package when it arrives.
- The driver will simply drop off your delivery between the hours of 9 a.m.
- and 7 p.m.
- at your address and store it somewhere that is deemed safe.
- Your sender, on the other hand, may be responsible for the UPS signature-required cost if the item is of high value or includes anything of high sensitivity.
- If no one is present at the time of the delivery attempt, UPS will leave an InfoNotice at the location of the attempted delivery.
This document notifies you of any upcoming delivery attempts and offers you with other methods of receiving the product.If you don’t get the shipment delivered within three attempts, UPS will send it back to the sender on your behalf.
Presigning Through UPS My Choice
- As long as the sender does not demand an adult signature, you may typically presign for the shipment using your UPS My Choice account if the sender does not require an adult signature.
- After checking in, check your delivery calendar to see if the shipment has arrived, and then click on the entry to view more information.
- If the option to sign for the box online is available for that particular shipment, you’ll be able to access it.
- However, before selecting this option, be certain that you have a secure spot where the driver may leave the product to avoid theft.
Requesting a Package Hold
- Alternatively, you can instruct UPS to leave the delivery at your local UPS Store or Access Point location, such as CVS or Michaels, if you are unable to sign for it or prefer a safer alternative.
- Simply browse to the tracking page for your item and search for the ″Change Delivery″ button.
- It’s that simple.
- The option to send the product to a different address must be selected, and then the Access Point must be selected by following the instructions.
- You may be required to pick up your box from a locker or a representative, depending on the location.
- You should be prepared to show identification, such as your tracking number and photo identification.
If your box is being held in a UPS locker, you may be able to get access by entering a specific code that has been provided to your phone.
Rerouting Your UPS Package
- As an alternative to having the box delivered to your house or held for collection, you can request that UPS send the package to a different location, such as your workplace or the receiving desk of your organization.
- In addition, you’ll find this option on the UPS My Choice tracking page for your shipment under the ″Change Delivery″ heading.
- Please keep in mind that some senders may prevent you from altering the delivery address, especially if you are shipping a valuable item or package.
Rescheduling the Package Delivery
- When you know what time you’ll be available to sign for your shipment, you may go to the tracking page for your parcel and request a different delivery date and time ahead of time.
- You will save time by not having to wait for a UPS InfoNotice, and you will be able to select a two-hour period that is convenient for you.
- There is a price for this service unless you are a UPS My Choice Premium member who is entitled to two delivery-time modifications per year at no additional cost.
Handling Missed UPS Packages
- When UPS fails to deliver a package because you were unable to sign for it, you should get a UPS InfoNotice at your door or other point of delivery.
- This paper will frequently mention that UPS will attempt a second delivery attempt and will suggest alternate delivery choices if you are still unable to accept the delivery.
- You can, for example, sign the notification and request that the box be picked up at a UPS site or that the delivery date be changed.
- Additionally, you can make changes to the package’s delivery options by logging into the UPS My Choice website.
Up and Down the Block: USPS Customizes Delivery
- Consumers and companies will find it simpler to accommodate package deliveries into their schedules thanks to the Postal ServiceTM Delivery Instructions service.
- Customers with accounts can request that their USPS® carriers leave their packages at a different domestic address on the same carrier route for free, or at a different domestic address outside the carrier route for the cost of postage, rather than having them delivered in person.
- Besides that, they can request that the box be held for pickup at a Post OfficeTM, and they can upgrade their shipments to Priority Mail Express® or Priority Mail®.
- Additionally, recipients can instruct the Postal Service to drop their items at a specified place, such as a front or back door, a garage, or an enclosed porch.
- How to make use of the tool: n In the ″Quick Tools″ area of the website, enter the applicable USPS Tracking number(s) to be tracked.
- n On the right-hand side of the website, click on the ″Delivery Instructions″ option and follow the on-screen instructions.
— 3-3-16, New Products and Innovation, Shipping Products and Services, New Products and Innovation
UPS Signature Required Explained (+ FAQ)
- The following are the main points: UPS Signature Required is only one of the delivery confirmation services offered by UPS
- Shipping high-value products, confidential papers, alcoholic drinks, and medications using the UPS Signature Required and delivery confirmation services is common practice.
- The UPS Signature Required, UPS Adult Signature Required, and UPS Delivery Confirmation are all value-added services that demand a signature upon delivery
- you can choose from these three options.
- It’s a good idea to consider the security of delivery. After all, porch piracy is on the rise, and shipments are being stolen on a daily basis. Taking extra precautions to guarantee that your product reaches its intended destination is frequently worth the small additional cost. Prior to a package being released into the receiver’s custody, UPS Signature Required is an optional value-added service that requires the recipient to sign for the package. You and the customer will both benefit from the piece of mind that comes with a successful delivery in this manner. For a modest cost, you can choose from three different UPS delivery confirmation services, which are as follows: UPS Signature Required
- UPS Adult Signature Required
- UPS Delivery Confirmation
- UPS Signature Required
- UPS Signature Required
- This blog provides you with all of the information you need regarding UPS Signature Required and other UPS confirmation services.
- Are you looking to save money on UPS shipping?
- You may save up to 89 percent off all UPS retail prices when you use Easyship.
- You’ll also save money on more than 250 global shipping solutions, including USPS, FedEx, and others.
- In order to save money, simply use our free shipping rates calculator to determine how much money you may save on your next UPS package.
Table of Contents
01 What does the UPS Signature Requirement entail? 02 The Advantages of UPS Signature Required, and so on. Third, the Cost of the UPS Signature Requirement Fourth, UPS Signature Is Required Has Restrictions 05 Instructions for Using UPS Signature Required 06 UPS Signature Is Required, but Easyship Is Also Available 07 UPS Signature Required Frequently Asked Questions
What Is UPS Signature Required?
- There are several delivery confirmation services offered by UPS, and UPS Signature Required is one of them.
- Delivery confirmation is required before a package may be delivered, and it must be signed for by the receiver or a responsible person.
- In other words, the package cannot be delivered unless the receiver is physically there to accept it.
- UPS will not deliver the package until it has received a signature from the recipient.
- Delivery confirmation services are offered by all of the major courier companies.
- This is due to the fact that package security and assured delivery are extremely crucial to both merchants and customers at the same time.
These services are regularly utilized by those who are shipping or receiving products that are of high value, valuable, or potentially harmful in nature (like firearms).When you purchase your shipping label, either on the courier’s website or through Easyship, you have the option of include delivery confirmation services in your cargo.Packages that have not been signed for are returned to the local delivery hub for redelivery.
The delivery person leaves a paper notice as well as an online message to let you know that a delivery attempt has been made and that another effort will be made shortly.Using these alerts, a shipper may check on the status of a shipment and determine whether or not it has been delivered securely.Meanwhile, the receiver may be certain that their order will only be delivered to their location and not to anybody else.UPS provides three different types of delivery confirmation services, which are as follows:
UPS Signature Required
- When a package is delivered, UPS requires the recipient to sign it or provide an electronic equivalent.
- As the shipper, you will receive a confirmation message after the delivery has been completed.
- On the UPS tracking page that relates to the cargo, you may see the recipient’s signature or electronic acceptance of receipt, whichever is applicable.
- For both local and international shipments, the UPS Signature Required service is offered.
UPS Adult Signature Required
- The package must be signed for by someone who is at least 21 years old before it may be released.
- To verify their age, the receiver must present a government-issued picture identification card.
- The shipper is notified after UPS has obtained the adult signature and has handed the package over to the recipient’s address.
- On the package tracking page, shippers may see the signature and delivery information that has been provided.
- All items containing alcoholic drinks or guns must be sent by UPS with an Adult Signature Required label attached.
- Both domestic and international shipments are eligible for this service.
UPS Delivery Confirmation
- Following delivery, UPS sends the shipper an email with the delivery information.
- This includes the delivery date and time, as well as the recipient’s name on the package.
- There is no requirement for a signature.
- If a package with Delivery Confirmation is returned, the return date as well as the reason for the return are displayed on the tracking page for that package’s location.
- Only available for domestic shipments within the United States.
The Benefits of UPS Signature Required, Etc.
When transporting high-value commodities, confidential papers, alcoholic drinks, and medications, UPS Signature Required and delivery confirmation services are frequently employed. However, these services are not provided for free, so what exactly is the benefit?
- In particular, when it comes to high-value or risky cargo, having peace of mind is essential. Each party involved may attest that the package arrived in perfect condition
- both the shipper and the recipient can confirm this.
- Shipments containing alcoholic drinks or guns are intended for adults only
- children are not permitted to receive such shipments. Using UPS Adult Signature Required, the shipper may assure that the package delivery is completed successfully and without excessive danger to the recipient.
- Payment as soon as shipments are delivered: Shippers that have a UPS account may get proof of delivery online as soon as packages are delivered. This facilitates the processing of payments.
The Cost of UPS Signature Required
- The cost of UPS Signature Required varies based on whatever option you select. The following are the UPS Signature Delivery Confirmation service charges for the year 2021: UPS Signature Required: $5.55 per parcel
- UPS Adult Signature Required: $6.70 for parcel
- UPS Delivery Confirmation: $2 per parcel
- UPS Signature Required: $5.55 per parcel
- UPS Signature Required: $6.70 per parcel
You can also pay for a verbal confirmation of delivery if you prefer that method. This implies that the delivery person will have access to the phone number that is provided on your package. The service is offered exclusively with UPS Next Day A