The short answer is no. Renewing a passport at the post office is not an option because your local post office does not process passport renewals. While they might provide other passport services, renewals are not something that they handle. The postal service only handles first-time passport applications.
Complete your Passport Renewal Application Form DS-82 on the State Department website. Print and sign your DS-82 form. Have a passport photo taken. You can schedule a passport photo-only appointment at a Post Office™ location.
You usually don’t need to renew a passport at a passport acceptance office like the post office. Instead, use the expedited renewal-by-mail procedure that allows you to post the DS-82 application, photo, old passport and fee to the State Department. The new passport arrives by mail a month or so later.
How do I renew my passport?
Lodge your passport renewal application at a participating Post Office – you don’t need a booking
How do I apply for a passport at the post office?
You can use this service for any type of passport application. You should take your completed paper application form, photos and any supporting documents to the Post Office. The Post Office Check and Send service will check you’ve: filled in the right sections of the paper form.
How do I get a refund for my passport application?
You can only get a refund if HM Passport Office sends you a letter to say that the Post Office made a mistake with your application. The letter will tell you how you can ask the Post Office for a refund.
Can you renew your passport at your local post office?
Renewing a Passport by Mail
You can make an appointment at a passport acceptance center, which is usually a local post office. Or you can often just show up and take your chances on the length of the line. The agent will review your proof of identity and citizenship plus the copies you made of those documents.
Do you have to send your old passport back when renewing online UK?
Yes, your old passport will be returned unless it is deemed to be damaged by the UK Identity & Passport Service (IPS). The passport will clearly indicate that it is invalid and it is important that you advise whether any valid visas remain in the passport before applying for it to be renewed.
Do I have to send my old passport when renewing UK?
If you’re renewing or replacing a passport
You must bring your old passport to the Post Office if you still have it. If you’ve changed your name, you’ll also need to bring proof of your new name (like a marriage certificate).
How can I renew my passport quickly?
Expedite a Renewal by Mail
- Fill out your DS-82 application and collect your documents.
- Be sure to include the $60 expedite fee in addition to the normal application fee.
- Clearly mark ‘EXPEDITE’ on the outside of the envelope.
- The expedite fee does not include the optional 1-2 day delivery fee.
Where do you renew your passport?
How to apply for or renew your South African passport. South African passports are only printed at the DHA’s head office in Pretoria. From here, they are dispatched to the offices of application. A South African passport application can be submitted at any DHA office when applying from within the republic.
Is renewing passport online easy?
In the UK, the digital service for applying for, renewing, and replacing your British passport has been up and running since 2017. This online service, created by the HM Passport Office, takes you through a super easy-to-follow and efficient process, guiding you every step of the way.
How long are passport renewals taking?
Passports require renewal every ten years, and UK government advice is to expect the passport renewal process to take up to ten weeks.
When should I renew my passport?
You should apply for a new passport if your passport is due to expire in the next twelve months. For children, apply within 6 months months of the exiry date of the passport. If you can, avoid applying from March to August as this is the busiest time of the year.
What supporting documents do I need for a UK passport renewal?
Once you have a British passport, the renewal is relatively easy, compared to getting a new passport for the first time. You won’t need any documents to renew your passport digitally, but you will need a current photograph of yourself, a credit or debit card, and your current passport.
Can I renew my passport at the post office UK?
You can renew an adult passport or child’s passport quickly and easily at the Post Office with our Passport Check & Send services. With Digital Check & Send, we complete and submit your application digitally, with no forms to fill in or fuss.
What is the fastest way to renew a UK passport?
You can use this service to renew an adult passport.
- Use the Online Premium service.
- Use the 1 week Fast Track service.
- Call the Passport Adviceline to book and pay.
How do I renew my passport in 2021?
Requirements for Renewal of Passport
- Confirmed Online Appointment.
- Accomplished Application Form.
- Personal appearance.
- Current ePassport with photocopy of data page.
- Original PSA authenticated documents that will support the change of name. Marriage Contract. Annotated Birth Certificate.
How do I pay for my passport appointment?
Applicants can pay the passport processing fee through any of the following Payment Centers:
- Bayad Center.
- Pera Hub.
- Robinson’s Business Center and Department Stores.
- Waltermart Department Store.
- USCC (Western Union)
- Villarica Pawnshop.
How do I schedule an appointment for my passport?
Login to the Passport Seva Online Portal with the registered Login Id. Click ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport’ link. Fill in the required details in the form and submit. Click the ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ link on the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ screen to schedule an appointment.
How to renew my passport before it expires?
How much is it to renew my passport?
The final cost of your new passport will depend on several factors, such as the type of passport if it is a renewal or your first one You can learn how much your passport will cost at this State Department fee calculator. And you can check out a
Can I Renew My Passport At The Post Office?
- International travel may be difficult, but it can be even more unpleasant when you discover that your passport has expired while you are on the road.
- For most overseas journeys, you should make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months after the date of your departure from the country.
- It is recommended that you renew your passport prior to departing the United States if your passport expiration date is less than six months away.
- So, what is the procedure for renewing a passport in the United States?
- Many individuals are unsure whether they will be able to renew their postage stamps at the post office.
- Our experts will explain all of your passport renewal alternatives, including whether you can do it at the post office or whether you must go to a passport agency.
Renewing Your Passport At The Post Office
- Is it possible to renew your passport at a post office?
- The quick answer is that it does not.
- Because your local post office does not perform passport renewals, you will not be able to renew your passport at the post office where you live.
- Despite the fact that they may provide other passport services, they do not conduct passport renewals.
- Passport applications for the first time are only accepted through the postal service.
- If you already hold a passport, you may be required to complete the first-time application in some situations, even if you do not want to renew it.
Although we will go into further depth about the criteria later in this post, the majority of renewals must be handled through the mail.It is possible to renew your passport by mail if you meet the requirements, but you must complete your application for a new passport at your local post office.First and foremost, you should look for a post office that offers passport services in your neighborhood.Not every post office has the capability of processing passport applications.Once you have located a facility that offers the service you want, it is a good idea to schedule an appointment with them.In the absence of an appointment, you may find yourself waiting for an extended period of time — or they may be unable to assist you at all.
Passport Renewal Via Mail
- If you fulfill the conditions for mail renewal eligibility, you should send your passport renewal application to the U.S.
- Department of State by regular mail.
- The procedure of renewing your membership by mail is quick and simple.
- To begin, you’ll need to fill out Form DS-82, which is available online.
- This form is significantly shorter and less complicated than Form DS-11, which is used to apply for a new passport.
- It is required that you submit the DS-82 renewal form together with your old passport, a new passport photo, and the applicable passport cost.
No matter if you have undergone a legal name change, you may still finish the process through the mail.Only a court order or marriage document proving your name change should be included in your application.When renewing by mail, you should always choose a service that gives tracking information, such as Priority Mail Express or a next-day delivery service, to ensure that your papers arrive on time.This will also guarantee that your application and supporting documentation are received by the State Department within the shortest number of business days feasible.Make certain that you begin the passport renewal procedure well in advance of when you expect to obtain your new passport.Regular processing of passport renewals takes 8 to 11 weeks, which means you might be waiting over three months before you have your passport back in its original condition.
Even if you request expedited processing, it will take 5 to 7 weeks for your request to be processed.
Mail Renewal Eligibility Requirements
- So, how can you find out if you are qualified to renew your passport through the postal service?
- There are only a few straightforward requirements that must be completed.
- First and foremost, your previous passport must still be in your possession.
- If you have misplaced it, you will not be able to renew your membership through the mail.
- The application for a new passport must be submitted alongside the original passport.
- Following that, there must be no serious damage to the passport.
It can show signs of normal wear and tear, but it must be in good enough condition that it can be immediately identified as your passport, and all of the passport information must be clearly visible on the document.If it is so badly damaged that it is impossible to determine who it belongs to, you will not be able to complete your renewal by mail.The second criteria is that your old passport had to have been issued to you when you were at least 16 years old at the time of application.Since child passports cannot be renewed over the mail, if you were younger than this when you obtained your passport, you will need to submit a new application form as an adult in order to renew your passport.Adult passports that were granted to you during the previous 15 years are the only ones that qualify for renewal through mail.Even if your passport has been expired for more than 10 years, you may still renew it over the mail if it has been expired for more than five years.
If your passport was issued more than 15 years ago, on the other hand, you will have to start the application procedure from the beginning.Finally, your previous passport must be able to identify you by your present name if you have changed it.If it does not, you will need a court decree to verify that you have changed your name.If you satisfy all of the requirements outlined in this section, you will be eligible to renew your passport using the mail system.Renewals by mail are the quickest and most convenient alternative.
In-Person Passport Renewal
- It is possible that you will be required to renew your passport in person if you do not satisfy the standards listed above.
- As a matter of fact, you will be required to go through the identical application process as a first-time candidate.
- Locate a passport agency or a passport office in your area if one is not already there.
- It’s possible that this is a USPS office, since they do accept first-time applicants.
- No matter if you require a passport book or a passport card, the procedure remains the same.
- Make your appointment as soon as possible because it can sometimes take days or even weeks to acquire an appointment.
New passport applications are now being processed in 8 to 11 weeks, so you will have to wait a while before you can have your new passport in your hands.It’s important to remember that not all post offices accept passport application forms.It may be necessary to go to a different post office that does take them or to visit a regional passport agency office if your local post office does not accept them.Walk-ins are practically never permitted at the agency’s offices because their appointments are nearly always booked up months in advance.You may be able to obtain passport services at some post offices without making an appointment, but appointments are nearly usually necessary at passport agencies.
Paperwork Required For First-Time Passport Applications
- Once you have scheduled an appointment with the passport acceptance center, you must assemble all of the necessary papers.
- It is necessary for you to complete the Form DS-11 and provide many supporting papers.
- You will require documentation to confirm your identification as well as your citizenship status.
- Although a birth certificate and driver’s license are the most commonly used papers, a naturalization card or other documents may also be acceptable.
- It is important to remember that if you are not a citizen of the United States, you will be unable to get a passport.
- Along with the payment of the USPS passport application costs, a photo of the applicant’s passport will be requested.
However, only checks or money orders are acceptable forms of payment for the Department of State charge, which must be paid with a check or money order for the passport acceptance cost.The documentation necessary for a new passport for a kid is essentially the same as the paperwork required for a new passport for an adult.Having your papers checked by an acceptance officer before it is forwarded to the Department of State is one of the advantages of applying in person rather than by mail.However, while the acceptance facility does not formally endorse any of the documentation, they can point out any obvious mistakes or omissions.Your application’s chances of being processed promptly are increased as a result of this.Passports can be awarded to convicts in some cases, but not all of the time.
If you have a felony drug conviction on your record, your application may be rejected.Keep this in mind while planning overseas travel, and double-check that your passport paperwork are in order before making any non-refundable payments for your trip to the destination of your choice.
Summary Of U.S. Passport Fees
- So, how much does it cost to renew a passport, and what are the options?
- The answer is dependent on a few aspects, such as the mode of renewal you choose and the type of passport you require.
- Passport cards are somewhat less expensive than passport books, and mail renewals are slightly less expensive than first-time applications for a passport.
- Everything you need to know about passport costs may be found right here.
- You may always visit travel.state.gov for the most up-to-date information on passport fees.
- Applicants that are 16 years or older are regarded to be adult applicants.
In order to obtain an adult passport book for the first time, you must pay $110 plus a $35 acceptance fee.The passport card is far less expensive, costing only $30 in addition to the $35 acceptance fee.The renewal prices remain the same as before; however, while renewing by mail, you will not be required to pay the acceptance charge.As a result, a passport book renewal will set you back $100, but a passport card renewal would set you back only $30.The fees for obtaining a passport for a youngster are a little less expensive.The charge for a minor’s passport book is $80, plus a $35 acceptance fee, for a total of $110 in fees.
Alternatively, if the youngster simply need a passport card, the cost will be $15 plus the $35 processing charge.In addition to these fees, you may be required to pay additional fees such as an expedited processing charge or a 1-2 day delivery fee if you request expedited processing or delivery.You will be charged $60 for expedited processing for each passport application.Exclusively passport books being shipped within the United States are eligible for the expedited delivery service, which costs $17.56 and is only available for passport books.Unless you can produce proof of your citizenship, you will be required to pay a charge to have your file searched.Your citizenship must be verified through this process, which costs $150 and is required by law.
In addition to your completed DS-11 application, you must submit a formal request for a file search with your application.
The Bottom Line
- Although renewing a passport is not difficult, it cannot be done at a post office location.
- If you qualify, the mail-in renewal method is the quickest and most convenient option.
- You will need to submit an application for a new passport exactly like a first-time applicant if you do not qualify for mail-in passport renewals in your current country.
- In addition to passport agency offices, this may be accomplished at a variety of post office locations.
- The cost of a passport is determined mostly by the type of passport that you require, and you should plan on spending a significant amount of time waiting for it to be processed.
- Your passport may take up to three months to arrive from the moment your application is received by the Department of State.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the quickest way to get my passport renewed?
- The mail-in passport renewal process is the quickest and most convenient method of getting your passport renewed.
- You have the option of requesting expedited processing as well as paying for expedited shipment.
- The only place where you may renew your passport in person is at a regional passport agency.
- The number of these locations around the country is limited, and they only process renewals for persons who are traveling within two weeks of their original expiration date.
- It can be quite tough to even secure an appointment, so planning ahead and mailing in your renewal application are your best bets.
- Depending on how late you have left it, you may need to check into the best destinations to go without a passport to avoid being turned away.
What should I do if I am trying to renew my passport and it has expired?
- As long as your passport hasn’t expired in the recent five years, you should be OK to go.
- Your previous passport must have been issued within the last 15 years in order for you to be eligible for a mail-in renewal.
- Simply complete the DS-82 passport renewal application and return it to the Department of State, together with your old passport, a new passport photo, and a check for the renewal costs, to get your passport renewed.
- You should receive your new passport in the mail within 12 weeks after submitting your application.
Where can I renew my passport?
- You can either renew your passport by mail or in person at a regional passport bureau, depending on your preference.
- In-person visits are restricted, and they are often reserved for persons who require travel assistance in an emergency situation.
- If you are qualified for a mail-in passport renewal, you will not be able to renew your passport through the USPS in person.
- If, on the other hand, you are not qualified, you will be required to file an application for a replacement passport.
- It is possible to perform this process at participating post offices.
What do I need to bring to complete my passport renewal?
- When renewing a passport, you’ll need to bring in a few of documents.
- For this process, you will need your old passport, a current passport photo, an application DS-82 that has been completed, and a check for the fee payment.
- In the event that you are eligible for a passport renewal, you will not be required to present further proof of citizenship or identification, since your current passport will serve for both of these criteria.
How to Renew a U.S. Passport at the Post Office
- Article to be downloaded article to be downloaded Passports are issued by the Department of State of the United States to allow individuals to travel across international boundaries and return home.
- Many United States Postal Service (USPS) locations provide in-person passport renewal services if you already hold a passport that has expired or is soon to expire.
- You will reduce the likelihood of your materials getting lost in the mail, and you may be able to submit your application a bit more quickly as a result.
- Step 1: Locate a post office branch that is capable of processing your application. If you don’t already know which post office branch provides passport services, your first step should be to locate one that does. You can use the Department of State website to determine the location of the nearest facility that provides passport assistance. Alternatively, you may use the Bureau of Consular Affairs’ search page, which will give you with a selection of local sites depending on your zip code or city.
- The information on this website includes a list of suitable locations, as well as information on the sorts of services offered (e.g., whether or not your photo may be taken on-site), the dates and times when passport services are available, and the phone number for each facility
- Other government bodies and organizations, such as public libraries and county clerk offices, provide passport application services. Depending on where you live, some offices may provide the service in lieu of a post office
- you may also inquire with your local post office to see whether they offer passport processing services at their location. However, if they do not provide passport services, they will most likely be able inform you where the nearest facility is located.
- 2 Locate a location where you can get your passport photographs taken. Getting a fresh passport photo taken is a required step in the process of renewing your passport. It is possible that certain post offices will be able to handle this during your visit, while others will not. Selecting ″Photo On-Site″ from the drop-down menu while looking for a post office branch to submit your passport application on the Department of State website will narrow your search results to only places that provide this service. The ″Photo Nearby″ box will show you spots where there is a place nearby where you can get your photo taken before you arrive.
- It is also possible to get passport images from copying and shipping companies, photographic studios, and even certain retail stores and pharmacies.
- Promotional material
- 3 Make a scheduled appointment. Please contact the US Postal Service facility that provides passport services to schedule an appointment for your application. Even if you feel that your local post office accepts walk-in customers, it is a good idea to phone ahead and confirm.
- 1 Select the appropriate form. In the vast majority of circumstances, the normal DS-82 passport renewal form will suffice. To apply for a regular DS-82 passport renewal form, you must have your most recent passport book on hand. It must have been issued no more than 15 years ago, but no later than the time you reached sixteen years old.
- If you believe your last passport has been lost or stolen, you must notify it as soon as possible. At your appointment, you must bring the documents DS-11, Application for a United States Passport, and DS-64, Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport, with you.
- If you are under the age of sixteen (16) and need to renew your passport, you must additionally complete the DS-11 form, which is generally used for new passport applications only.
- The DS-3053: Statement of Consent, will also be required for applicants under the age of 16 who are applying without both parents’ presence.
- 2 Obtain the necessary forms.
- You can pick up the necessary form(s) from a USPS location that provides passport services, or you can order them over the internet.
- You may obtain a renewal form on the website of the United States Department of State.
- If you’re not sure which form you need, the Department of State website includes a tool that will guide you through the process of selecting the appropriate form depending on the information you supply about yourself.
- 3 Complete the online application.
- You have the option of entering information straight into the form online or manually filling it out.
- Only black ink should be used.
- In order to complete this form, you will need to enter personal information, a physical description, your address information, and your travel arrangements.
- If you are printing your forms, be sure that they are printed on single-sided sheets.
- 1 Get your passport photographed. If you are not having your passport photographs taken at the post office when you file your application, you should have them done in advance so that you may bring them with you to your scheduled appointment. These photographs should be 2 by 2 inches (5.1 by 5.1 cm) in size, in color, and with a white backdrop to be considered. Your face should fill up around 80% of the photo’s surface area, and the shot should have been taken within the past 6 months.
- If you fail to provide a suitable photograph, your passport application may be delayed.
- 2 Gather all of your supporting documentation. Bring a copy of your DS-82 form, as well as your old passport and any other documentation you may be required to provide. If you are over the age of 16 and have a valid passport that is less than 15 years old, you should not be needed to provide any further documentation.
- The following documents will be required if you have lost your old passport or are under the age of 16 (i.e., you need to file a DS-11). Proof of citizenship (such as a certificate of naturalization or a birth certificate) and another form of identification.
- A previously issued US passport, driver’s license (not a temporary or learner’s license), military identity, or a federal, state, or local government employee identification card are all acceptable options for your second piece of identification.
- A copy of the person’s birth certificate and a consent form from any parent who is not present at the meeting are also required for anyone under the age of sixteen.
- If either parent has passed away, a copy of the death certificate must also be given.
- In the event that you are changing your name, bring either a marriage certificate or a court decree confirming the name change.
- 3Remember to show up for your scheduled appointment. Make your way to the post office where you have scheduled your time. Make sure to arrive on time and to carry all of your necessary documentation as well as a method of payment.
- 4 You must pay the charge. In February 2018, the cost of an adult renewal was $110. If you require your passport quickly and choose to have it expedited, you will be charged an additional $60. If you are required to file a DS-11 rather than a DS-82, you will be required to pay a $35 acceptance fee as well.
- When paying by check or money order, it’s a good idea to keep track of how much money has been spent.
5 Remain patient till your passport arrives. If you want to obtain your passport through the mail, it should take between four and six weeks. The processing time for expedited passports is normally two to three weeks. While you’re waiting for your passport to come, you may keep track of the progress of your application on the internet.
- Question Add a new question Question What options do you have for getting a passport renewed during a government shutdown? This answer was written by a member of our highly trained team of researchers, who then double-checked it for correctness and comprehensiveness before posting it. Staff Member of the wikiHow Editorial Board In most cases, yes, although it may take longer than normal to complete. As long as they can generate enough income from passport application and renewal fees, passport offices will often remain open during shutdowns. However, processing times will most certainly be slowed, so apply as far in advance as you can to avoid delays.
- Concerning the Question Is it possible for me to take my own passport photo? This answer was written by a member of our highly trained team of researchers, who then double-checked it for correctness and comprehensiveness before posting it. Staff Member of the wikiHow Editorial Board Yes, as long as you’re able to satisfy the minimum standards for the shot, which are listed below. A color photograph of your whole face will be required, and the image of your face (from the bottom of your chin to the top of your head) must cover between 50 and 69 percent of the overall height of the photograph, depending on your height. Take the photograph in front of a white or off-white background, with both eyes open and your look as neutral as possible. Wearing glasses is not recommended unless you are unable to remove them for medical reasons, and wearing a helmet, headpiece, or other accessories is not recommended unless they are part of your normal religious costume. Once you’ve taken your photo, you’ll need to print it off on photo paper in the size of your passport (2 inches by 2 inches).
- Concerning the Question How long would it take for me to receive my newly reissued passport? Normally, it takes 4-6 weeks to complete. You may have it accelerated to 2-3 weeks for an extra $60 (about) if you like.
- Concerning the Question My passport is about to expire, and I’d like to renew it, but I don’t have any trip plans at the moment. Is it okay if I leave question20 blank? You are not necessary to mention travel plans in order to apply for a passport, unless you wish to have the procedure completed more quickly than normal. Maintaining a valid passport at all times, even if you do not have any imminent travel plans, is the best policy. You may just type ″NA″ in the blanks if you choose.
- Concerning the Question Is it possible for me to get my previous passport back? It is true that your old passport will be returned to you
- but, there will be holes in it to prevent you from using it in the future or giving it away for someone else to use.
- Concerning the Question Is it possible for me to fly to Canada even if my passport will expire a month later? Yes, as long as you leave Canada before the visa expires on your return.
- Concerning the Question Is it possible to travel with my passport if it expires in two months? It is dependent on where you are traveling because each nation has its own legislation about the length of time a passport must be valid. If you intend to apply for a visa, your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the duration of the visa, otherwise you will not be granted one. Check with the government of the nation you intend to visit, as well as the airline or airlines you intend to use. Is it possible to pick up my passport once it has been renewed at the location where it was renewed? No, however you may arrange for it to be dropped off at your local post office if you like. In any other case, it will be sent to your home by postal service.
- Concerning the Question In order to renew my passport, may I schedule an appointment at the Post Office? If you answered ″yes″ to all of the questions on the top of the renewal form, you will be able to complete the whole renewal process on your own time. Remove your old passport from your possession and ship it along with your new photo to an approved passport photo business, along with a check made out to you, with your full name and date of birth clearly written on the check. It is recommended that you send it using a monitored means, such as the Post Office’s Priority or Express Mail services.
- Question What should I do if my passport has reached the end of its validity period? You’ll have to go out and acquire a new one. Go to your local post office and make an appointment once you’ve completed a form, taken a picture, and gathered all of your records, among other things. You should be able to receive it in around 2 months.
- More information can be found in the following answers: Inquire about something There are 200 characters remaining. Include your email address so that you may be notified when this question has been resolved. Advertisement submissions are welcome. A regional passport agency will be required to process your application if you are going within the next 14 days and require a passport before then. On the Department of State website, look out the address and phone number of your regional office, and then make an appointment to visit them. This network of regional government offices offers expedited passport services to individuals who require them in a hurry.
- On the renewal form, you will have the option of applying for a passport card as well. Entry into Canada and Mexico is permitted without the use of a passport book using a passport card. Their services are not required for international travel. For adults, a passport card will cost you $30.
- Applications for passport renewal can also be sent through the mail. If, on the other hand, your previous passport is severely damaged or you are under the age of 16, you must renew in person.
- Thank you for submitting a suggestion for consideration! Advertisement A large number of private websites provide passport renewal services. This is not required because you may apply for a renewal at a post office or by sending an application through the mail. A third party receiving your personal information is potentially harmful since it might be utilized in a passport fraud.
- If you are overdue on your child support payments, you may not be able to renew your passport.
About This Article
- Summary of the ArticleXIf you need to renew your passport in the United States, you can search online at the website of the United States Department of State to discover the nearest post office location that provides passport services.
- Once you’ve located the place where you’d want to renew your passport, phone ahead to make a reservation for a time.
- Printing a copy of the Department of State’s website will allow you to fill out your passport renewal form ahead of time if you choose.
- You must bring your renewal form, your old passport, a new photo if you choose to have one, and the $110 renewal cost with you when you go for your appointment.
- More information about the prerequisites for taking a passport photo may be found by continuing reading!
- Did you find this overview to be helpful?
The writers of this page have together authored a page that has been read 1,463,745 times.
Passport Check and Send service
- Some Post Offices provide a service called ‘Check and Send’ that allows you to have your passport application checked before it is sent. Using Check and Send reduces the likelihood that your application will be denied by the application server. Look for a Post Office that offers the Check and Send service and take use of it. Choose from the drop-down menu: ‘Passport Check and Send – digital’ if you want Post Office staff to take your photo and assist you in filling out your application online
- ‘Passport Check and Send – paper’ if you’re applying using a paper form
- and ‘Passport Check and Send – digital’ if you want Post Office staff to take your photo and assist you in filling out your application online.
How much it costs
- The cost of the photo is included in the Digital Check and Send fee.
- It is an additional £16.00 charge on top of the passport application price.
- The cost of the photo is not included in the Paper Check and Send service.
- It will cost you an additional £16.00 on top of the passport application price and the cost of your photographs.
- If you qualify for a free passport, the Check and Send service is provided at no cost to you.
How to pay
- You can pay with cash, a credit or debit card, a postal order (made payable to ‘Post Office Limited’), or a bank transfer.
Getting a refund
A refund is only available if the UK Passport Office sends you a letter informing you that the Post Office made a mistake in processing your application. If you receive a letter, it will explain how to request a refund from the Post Office. If your application is refused, you will not be eligible for a refund.
Making a digital application
In addition to taking your photo, the Post Office will assist you in completing your application online. What you’ll need to bring with you will vary depending on the sort of application you’re submitting.
If you’re renewing or replacing a passport
If you still have your previous passport, you must bring it with you to the Post Office to be processed. If you’ve just changed your name, you’ll also need to produce documentation proving your new identity (like a marriage certificate). If you lose your passport, you’ll also need the name and email address of someone who can verify your identity in the event of a theft.
If you’re applying for your first adult passport
- You will be required to provide the email address of a person who can verify your identification. You’ll also need your parents’ information, which includes their names, dates of birth, and places of birth
- UK passport information, if they have one
- and details of their marriage or civil partnership, if they had one. You’ll also need information about your siblings.
If you’re applying for someone under 16
- You’ll need to provide the following information about both of their parents: their names, dates of birth, and places of birth
- UK passport details, if they have them
- details of their marriage or civil partnership, if they had one
- and the names, dates, and places of birth of their children.
- If you are unable to supply the information for both parents, you must explain why (for example, if you are the sole parent listed on the kid’s birth certificate or if you adopted the child on your own).
- Unless you’re renewing a passport for a kid who is 12 or older and you have the child’s previous passport with you, you’ll also need the email address of someone who can verify the child’s identification.
What happens next
At each stage of the application process, you’ll get email and SMS updates from the HM Passport Office, and you may keep track of your application online. The use of the Check and Send service does not ensure that your passport application will be accepted for processing.
Making a paper application
- You should go to the Post Office with your completed paper application form, pictures, and any supporting documentation you have. The Post Office Check and Send service will ensure that you’ve done the following: filled in all of the necessary areas of the paper form
- Obtained the appropriate supporting documentation (including photographs)
- paid the appropriate fee
They will arrange for Special Delivery of your application to the HM Passport Office on your behalf. When compared to publishing your own application, using Check and Send is frequently faster. It is possible that the HM Passport Office will need to call you or your countersignatory to verify the information.
Renew Adult Passport
Digital Check & Send
There’s no muss or hassle. We’ll complete and submit your application on your behalf through the internet.
Paper Check & Send
Find your nearest branch
You might be interested in
International Driving Permit
If you’re driving in another country, you may require an International Driving Permit. Check to see which nations have one as a requirement.
Our 5* rated travel insurance will ensure that you and your family are completely covered while on the road.
Order travel money online for delivery the following day, or click and collect at a branch near you if you prefer.
Renew adult passport
When you renew your adult passport at the Post Office, we’ll assist you in making sure it’s done correctly the first time.
Renew child’s passport
Do you need to renew the passport of your child? We’ll assist you in doing it right the first time.
First adult passport
Apply for a new adult passport by visiting a branch and we’ll walk you through the procedure from start to finish.
First child passport
Help with your essential travel documents
What are biometric passports?
Biometric passports provide an additional layer of protection while also shortening your wait time at passport check. Learn more about them by visiting their website.
Rules for passport photos
Make certain that your passport photo complies with the stringent requirements that many applicants fail to achieve each year. We’ll assist you in getting it perfect.
Replacing a lost passport
Electronic System for Travel Authorisation
Visit the United States for work or vacation for fewer than 90 days and you will not require a visa. Find out how to obtain an ESTA in lieu of a visa.
Travelling with an expiring passport
How long should you have left on your passport, and what do various nations demand you to carry on you when you enter their territory? Our guide is here to assist you.
Ghic and Ehic
Using The Post Office For Passport Application and Renewal
- You must submit your passport to immigration officers in any country while entering via their borders, regardless of your nationality.
- In the United Kingdom, you may renew your passport online through the website of the United Kingdom Government, but did you know that you can also apply for a passport renewal at a Post Office branch?
- In this post, we will debunk the myths surrounding the Post Office passport renewal procedure, making it simple for you to apply for a new passport at any time.
Passport Check and Send – Post Office
- Post Office branches may be found in hundreds of locations around the United Kingdom, and they offer a wide range of services to the general public. These branches range greatly in terms of both their physical size and the various facilities they have available, which means that not all of them will be able to handle passport applications at the same time. Fortunately, the Post Office website will allow you to look for the nearest branch to you by entering your hometown or postcode. This will allow you to identify the branch that can assist you with your application. When you apply for your new adult passport through the Post Office, you will be required to provide a number of supporting papers as well. These may include the following: Birth certificate
- proof of citizenship or naturalization
- proof that at least one parent has a claim to British nationality
- and other documents as required.
- If you want to apply for a passport on behalf of a child who is under the age of sixteen, you will need to provide additional documentation. This can include: legal orders pertaining to residence
- court orders pertaining to residency
- Any legal agreements relating to parental duty
- There are two major options for renewing your passport through the United States Postal Service, which will be discussed more below.
- The fact that each of these things will require time should not be overlooked.
- Process time for the digital check and send service will be around 4 weeks, but the paper check and send service would take at least a week longer to complete.
- You should plan ahead if you require a passport in the near future — the UK Government suggests that you wait at least 10 weeks for your application to be completed before you go.
Post Office passport renewal – Digital Check and Send service
- If you go to one of the Post Office’s offices (the Post Office branch locator will tell you which ones), you may take advantage of a service where the staff can prepare your digital application for you. The digital passport renewal service offered by the Post Office is the lowest of the two options, and there are no physical documents to fill out. Nothing more than your previous passport and your current personal email address will be required, along with verification of any changes that need to be highlighted as part of the application process. The following is a step-by-step breakdown of the process: To begin, you must utilize the search tool on the Post Office website to locate the branch that provides the Digital Check and Send service closest to you
- second, you must complete the following steps:
- Go to the bank and inquire for this service at the counter, bringing in your previous passport as well as any documentation of any modifications you’ve made
- Employees at the Post Office will fill up your passport application using your previous passport, taking care to account for any modifications you may need to make.
- The Post Office will next take a biometric photo of you for your new passport, following the formal rules set forth by the HM Passport Office to ensure that the end result is appropriate. This will be linked to your digital application at that point.
- Once the application is complete, it is sent to the Passport Office, and your old passport is returned to you.
- It will be necessary to get regular updates from the Passport Office, which will be sent to you either by email or text message.
- As soon as the Passport Office has completed processing of your application, your new passport will be mailed straight to you.
Post Office passport renewal – Paper Check and Send service
- If you’d like to submit a paper application, the Post Office will accommodate you as well! Using the Paper Check and Send Service, you may fill out a paper form and send it to us along with your images. This option is 10 percent more expensive than the Digital service and takes significantly longer to complete
- but, if you like to have greater control over the process, this is the best choice for your needs. Only your current passport and, as with the Digital Check and Send service before it, evidence of any modifications will be required. The remaining items may be purchased in-branch, which will initiate the application process: If you want to submit a paper application, the Post Office may accommodate you as well. If you want to complete a paper form and send your own images, the Paper Check and Send Service is for you. If you wish to have greater control over the application process, this is the best choice for you. It is around 10% more expensive than applying via the Digital service, and it takes much longer to complete the application. Simply fill out an application form (which can be found at participating Post Office locations) and bring it, together with your existing passport and documentation of any modifications you require, to the Check and Send location where you will be using the service. This is how the step-by-step procedure is carried out: Make use of a passport application form available at your local branch and fill it out at home (or wherever is most convenient)
- Take 2 (two) color biometric photographs (35 x 45mm) that will be used to verify your identity when applying for a passport. You may either take these standard images yourself or have them taken for you at a participating Post Office.
- Bring all of the relevant paperwork, including your biometric photographs, to your local branch and hand them in to the counter, requesting the Paper Check and Send service. If you have any questions, please contact us. The original versions of your papers must be submitted
- photocopies will not be allowed.
- Employees at the branch will thoroughly evaluate your application to verify that it complies with all applicable requirements.
- Your branch will send your application to the Passport Office through special delivery once Post Office workers have completed their checks, and your passport will be delivered to you after the Passport Service has verified it.
Post Office passport photo prices – UK
The two distinct Check and Send services are charged at two distinct rates, which are shown below. The Digital Check and Send option is the most affordable of the two.
Passport Check and Send – how long does it take?
According to the recommendations of the HM Passport Office, you should plan on waiting up to ten (ten) weeks for your passport application to be completed and your new passport to be delivered.At the time of writing, the projected processing time for passport renewals was 4 (four) weeks, although this is subject to change at any moment without notice.In general, paper applications will have lengthier lead times than electronic applications, owing to the additional time it takes for postal applications to reach the passport administration.
Post Office with passport services for lost or stolen passports
In the event that your passport is lost or stolen, you must notify the Passport Office and, if the passport was taken, the police immediately.After then, you will be able to submit your application through the Post Office Check and Send service as usual, although the circumstances will necessitate a couple of extra steps due to the nature of the issue.As previously stated, you have the option of either completing a paper form and sending it in for the Paper Check and Send service or requesting the Digital Check and Send service right away.Due to the fact that you will not have an old passport to use as identification, you will need to have a countersignatory testify for your authenticity.You will need to speak with your selected countersignatory ahead of time to ensure that they are aware of their responsibilities (For more information about who can sign a passport, click here).You must provide their contact information in a digital application, and they must sign the application if it is a paper application.
After that, you may simply take your application to the Post Office, where it will be checked and submitted.
The perfect photo for your Post Office digital passport renewal
- No matter the option you choose to renew your passport, you will be required to provide a photograph taken in the United Kingdom. A photo for your UK passport can be taken at a high-street photo booth, a studio, or even at some Post Office branches, depending on where you live. However, the quickest and most convenient method of getting your passport photo is to upload your photo to the Passport Photo Online website or mobile app so that we can prepare it for you right away. Take a look at the benefits: There is a great deal of latitude. Passport Photo Online’s AI photo editor is not only quick and simple to use, but it can also be used from any location with an internet connection, even your own living room. All you need is a smartphone with our app already installed, and you’re good to go.
- Savings. Our service is up to 54 percent less expensive than hiring a photo booth, which is especially beneficial if you require passports for more than one person. We guarantee that you will be completely delighted with our service. We allow you to make many attempts at your passport photo for free, uploading as many as you need, and only charge you for the photo that you finally decide to choose to attach to your passport application, saving you money. This way, you’ll always go away with a photo that you’ll be proud to have in your updated passport – no one loves having a terrible passport photo in their possession
- Validation from a professional standpoint. Our artificial intelligence picture checker examines each photo you upload and compares it to the official photo standards, resizing it if necessary and eliminating any distracting backgrounds to ensure you receive the perfect photograph. If your photo does not pass our automated tests, one of our human inspectors will carefully analyze it and offer advise or make any necessary modifications. This way, you can be certain that your photo complies with the regulations, which will save you the time and effort of having to repeat the application from the beginning.
- Acceptance is virtually certain. If the HM Passport Office rejects a photo that we verified for you, we will refund you for 200 percent of the amount you paid us.
Getting your new passport ready may be a time-consuming procedure, but utilizing the Post Office makes the process far easier, regardless of whatever Check and Send option you choose.Your application will be complete after your passport photo has been generated by Passport Photo Online and has been validated by the Postal Inspection Service.With your new passport in hand, you may begin making plans for your future travels overseas.
Post Office digital passport renewal: FAQs
Can I renew my passport at the Post Office?
With the Post Office passport service, you may renew your passport swiftly and conveniently while remaining confident in your decision.All you have to do is pick up a passport application form at a Post Office branch that provides them, fill it out at home, and bring it in with any supporting documentation and a conforming passport picture reel, and the Post Office check and send service will take care of the rest!
What do I need to bring to the post office for my passport?
You will always be required to carry your departing passport as well as any documentation necessary to demonstrate a change in your circumstances, such as a marriage certificate.You will also be required to supply your home address as well as contact information, which is typically a phone number or email address.If your passport is lost or stolen, you will be required to submit the name and contact information of a countersignatory in order to confirm your identity.A countersignatory, as well as proof demonstrating your relationship with the kid, will be required if you are seeking for a child passport.
Does the post office charge a fee for a passport?
When you use the Post Office’s Check and Send services, they will charge you a fee of £16 for processing your application. This is in addition to the usual passport costs collected by the U.S. Passport Administration.
How much will a passport cost at the post office?
The Digital Check and Send service costs £91.50, whereas the Paper Check and Send service costs £101.50, when the Post Office’s processing fees are taken into consideration.
Can the post office confirm my identity?
Yes, they will be able to verify your identification using your previous passport, or if you do not have one, they will use a countersignatory.
What documentation will the post office need to confirm your identity?
Your previous passport will do as identification if you aren’t utilizing a countersignatory to verify your identity. In the event that your passport is lost or stolen, the countersignatory will serve as a witness to your identification.
Is it faster to renew your passport online or through the post?
In general, postal applications take longer to process than digital applications, owing to the greater lead time involved.
Where do I get a passport application form?
These forms can be obtained in-person at any post office that accepts passport applications; all post offices that accept passport applications have the necessary paperwork.
Can you go to the post office to get a passport?
Yes, it is possible! The Post Office is well-versed in the procedures that must be followed by you. They are in a good position to deal with your application.
Can you download a UK passport renewal form?
It is not possible to apply for a passport online; instead, you must pick up a real application form from the Post Office or call the Passport Adviceline. You can, however, submit an application through the United Kingdom Government’s online site.
Do UK post offices take passport photos?
Yes, they can, but it may be a time-consuming process, and not all branches are equipped to provide this service. It is possible to conveniently prepare your images yourself using a paper application and the Passport Photo Online website, eliminating the need to deal with the difficulty of doing so in person.
Passport application Check and Send – summing up
Even though renewing your passport can be a time-consuming procedure, using the Post Office makes the process far simpler, regardless of which Check and Send option you choose.Your application will be complete once your new passport photo has been prepared and checked by Passport Photo Online and verified by the Post Office.Because of the Post Office’s special delivery service, your application will reach the passport authorities in record time, allowing your new passport to be prepared as soon as possible.Once your new passport has been delivered, you may begin arranging your next international travel.
Passport Application & Passport Renewal
- The United States Department of State accepts first-time passport applications in thousands of Post OfficesTM around the country. Most of those sites can also take a photo of your passport if you need one. The State Department will receive your renewal form if you answer ″Yes″ to all five eligibility questions in the ″Renew a Passport by Submit″ section. If you do not answer ″Yes″ to any of the eligibility questions, you must mail your renewal form directly to the State Department. It will be necessary for you to physically visit a Post Office and complete a fresh first-time passport application if you do not fulfill all of the renewal conditions
- Passports for the first time (as well as passport photos): Make an appointment for a face-to-face meeting online.
To ensure the safety of our employees and customers, we are requiring you to sche