The best materials to use for packaging heavy and large parcels is thermocol and cardboard. It is important to not use masking tape as this will just break under the strain of the weight. To protect your items within the box, pack empty space with bubble wrap, polystyrene or cardboard.
Place heavy items in the center of the box so they don’t tilt when they are being carried. Surround them with a thick layer of X-Pad for more product protection. Fill in any empty spaces inside the box. Never use crumpled newsprint or packing paper as it will compress during shipment.
— First-Class Package Service. Most people know that a stamp costs$0.58 for first-class mail,which is extremely affordable in terms of shipping costs.
How do I ship a large package?
Determine how to ship your large package based on weight and size. Weigh and measure your package to determine your shipping method, which might be standard delivery, oversized shipping, or freight. You can use a tape measure to calculate the overall length and girth of the box and weigh the package with a standard bathroom scale.
How to pack your product properly for shipping?
When you place your product inside the box, there should be a gap of two to three inches at each side to allow for cushioning material like packaging peanuts, styrofoam, bubble wrap or paper. These cushion the item from strong impacts and also prevent it from moving around in the box.
How to ship heavy or oversized items?
In the final stage of shipping your heavy or oversized items, you’ll need to drop off the package at the courier. Or, if the service you selected offers it, you can wait for the courier to pick the package up.
What is the cheapest way to ship a large package?
For single boxes, USPS is often the cheapest option. For large light boxes, USPS Priority Mail will be cheapest. For heavy large boxes or shipments of multiple boxes, consolidated freight is one of the most cost-effective shipping methods.
How do you wrap a large item for posting?
Sealing your parcel
- Use strong tape 4-5cm wide, such as nylon or vinyl tape.
- Flatten any sharp edge from staples or metal fastenings, and cover with tape.
- Seal securely along all edges and openings.
How much does it cost to ship 100 lbs?
|Weight Tiers||FedEx Ground||FedEx Standard Overnight|
What is the cheapest way to ship 50 lbs?
USPS. A 50 lb box can be shipped via USPS using either flat rate or variably priced services. The best option depends on how fast you need your package to arrive. With delivery in 1-3 business days, USPS Priority Mail Flat rate shipping is typically the cheapest way to ship a 50 lb box.
How much does it cost to ship 40 lbs USPS?
A 40 lb box can be shipped using USPS Priority Mail flat rate shipping or variable pricing.
|Box size||Flat rate price|
|Medium box (13 ⅝” x 11 ⅞” x 11” or 11” x 8 ½” x 5 ½”)||$15.05|
|Large box (23 11/16” x 11 ¾” x 12” or 12” x 12” x 5 ½”)||$21.10|
How can I ship a large item without a box?
If you choose to ship without the box, use plenty of packing material when wrapping and secure it with tape. Put a shipping label inside with the item as well as outside. Include your contact information for handlers to reach you if an accident occurs.
Can I send a parcel in a black bag?
Black bin-liners and thin polythene, standard shopping bags should not be used, even as a covering for a box as they can rip easily and the label may get torn off as a result. Before you secure the lid on the box with heavy duty tape, place a sheet of paper with your address on top of your item(s).
Do parcels have to be in a box?
Items must be securely placed in a strong, rigid outer container e.g. corrugated fibreboard box and cushioned to avoid movement and packed to prevent accidental activation.
How much does it cost to ship 70 pounds USPS?
Priority Mail: 1-3 days
Priority Mail has a weight limit of 70 pounds for all sizes, from a small envelope to a large box, but the largest size they offer is about 1 foot by 1 foot by 6 inches. Prices range from $6.95 for the small envelope to $17.60 for the large box.
How much does it cost to ship 8 lbs USPS?
2021 USPS Parcel Select Ground Shipping Rates
|Parcel Select (wt. not over)||Zones 1 & 2||Zone 5|
Does UPS ship large?
Packages can be up to 150 lbs. Packages can be up to 165 inches in length and girth combined. Packages can be up to 108 inches in length. Packages with a large size-to-weight ratio require special pricing and dimensional weight calculations.
How much does it cost to ship 45 lbs?
USPS: The cost via USPS is around $160 for a package weighing 41-45 pounds. DHL: DHL provides a shipping rate of $380 with a fast delivery time of two days. UPS: You can ship your package through UPS Ground for $100. FedEx/TNT: FedEx offers a reasonable rate of nearly $60 via its standard ground shipping service.
Is FedEx or ups cheaper for heavy?
UPS and FedEx package shipping costs are about the same, but UPS flat rate pricing is slightly cheaper than FedEx. For variable pricing, FedEx generally starts out slightly cheaper but can be more expensive for larger, heavier shipments or for packages that will travel a longer distance.
Does USPS ship large boxes?
The United States Postal Service (USPS) sells cartons up to 20” x 14” x 10”, and offers a couple of service levels suitable for large boxes. Priority Mail packages ship in 1-3 business days depending on the origin and destination. Shipments cannot exceed 70 lbs and must be under 108” in combined length and girth.
What is the cheapest way to ship heavy items?
What is the cheapest way to ship a package internationally?
– Example #1: Shipping A Handbag From The US To Japan – Example #2: Shipping BoxyCharm Box From The US To Australia – Example #3: Shipping Consolidated Package From The US To Saudi Arabia
How to ship oversized packages?
Packaging heavy items for shipping – How To Guide by Station Couriers
Posted on the 24th of August, 2017.
At Station Couriers, we are used to shipping a variety of parcels in many different sizes, shapes and weights. A lot of items that we deliver are very heavy.
Here are our top suggestions for properly wrapping your big things in preparation for shipping: Don’t try to do too much at once.Many people believe that packing as many goods as possible into a single box would save shipping expenses, however this is not true when it comes to heavier items like furniture.Distribute articles evenly throughout the packaging to limit the likelihood of items being manhandled or falling out of the package.Make use of appropriate packing materials.When it comes to heavier things, materials such as bubble wrap will not be suitable.
Tissue paper and cardboard are the most effective materials to use for packing big and bulky packages.It is critical not to use masking tape, since this will simply shatter under the tension of the weight being supported.Make the package as durable as possible.Fill any empty space in the box with bubble wrap, polystyrene, or cardboard to ensure that your things are protected.The goal of doing so is to keep the item stable throughout transportation, hence reducing the likelihood of breaking.Take precautions when handling Once you are satisfied with the quality of the item’s packaging, you must place the box inside another box that is an inch wider than the first.
It is necessary to fill the space between the two boxes in order to provide an additional layer of protection.Keeping the weight in balance If you have several goods in the box, you must place the heaviest item at the bottom of the box in order for it to be properly balanced.Thus, there will be less chance of it being destroyed during transportation.Station Couriers is experienced in handling large and heavy items, and we can provide you with some further particular advise on how to safely package a hefty item.Contact us now for more information.Call us on 01686 621 190 if you have any questions regarding how we can deliver your products.
Oversized vs. freight shipping
Sending a parcel might be a challenging task.We’ll assist you in defining large shipments vs freight shipments, and we’ll give you with a resource for estimating expected shipping costs.Packages that are too large and/or require extra handling charges The dimensions of the package decide whether or not it is considered oversized.Because of the weight of the shipment, additional handling fees may be applied to the order.In the United States, FedEx Ground and Express services levy an oversize charge delivery fee if a package exceeds the dimensions listed below: Dimensions with a circumference more than 130 inches
- FedEx considers shipments to be freight if they satisfy or exceed at least one of the following criteria: a weight greater than 150 pounds
- With measurements of greater than 165 inches in length and circumference taken together
- Shipments classified as freight are those that fulfill or exceed at least one of the criteria listed below. Overweight (more than 150 pounds)
- With measurements of greater than 165 inches in both length and circumference
To get an idea of how much shipping will cost, use the FedEx shipment calculator.When sending a package that does not qualify as freight, you can also generate and print your shipping label from home, and then arrange a pickup or drop-off at your local FedEx Office® store, FedEx Ship Center, or an official FedEx Authorized Shipping Center (FASC).We have the means and resources to ensure that your things reach their destination in a safe and timely manner, whether you’re shipping a conventional box, transporting large items, or delivering an enormous order through freight.Visit the FedEx Learning Center for further information on specific goods and how to package and send them correctly.
Why does packaging matter?
It makes no difference whether you’re selling little, portable products like water bottles or large, heavy items like treadmills; correctly packing your product enables you to save money while also retaining more clients.In general, the longer a shipment is in transportation, the greater chances it has of experiencing a disaster.Good packing safeguards your cargo until it reaches your customer’s doorstep, allowing you to avoid incurring unexpected costs as a result of damaged or lost items in the course of delivery.The appropriate size of the packaging is also important since you don’t want to use too many ″fillers″ to hold the product in place once it has been sealed.Furthermore, by reducing the number of instances in which your clients receive ″dead on arrival″ items, you will be able to keep more of them since they will be pleased with your service.
When you send their order in brand new condition, they are more inclined to purchase from you in the future.So, regardless of the size and shape of your cargo, you’ll learn in this article how to properly wrap your goods to ensure its safety throughout shipping and delivery.
How do I package small items for shipping? Parcel shipping
Small packages are defined as shipments weighing less than 150 lbs and are often sent by FedEx or UPS by ground or air transportation, respectively. Learn how to wrap little goods safely so that they arrive at their destination in one piece.
Place the product in a cardboard box
Small packages are defined as shipments weighing less than 150 lbs and are often transported by FedEx or UPS through ground or air transportation, depending on the destination. Listed below is a method for packaging tiny objects to guarantee their safety during shipping.
Fill the box with cushioning material
Whenever you place your goods inside the box, leave a space of two to three inches on each side to allow for cushioning material such as packaging peanuts, styrofoam, bubble wrap, or paper to be added.These protect the object from being damaged by large hits and also keep it from sliding around in the box..If you’re sending electronic devices, make sure to first cover them with anti-static materials before cushioning them with foam, bubble wrap, or crumpled paper.If you’re shipping books, make sure to cushion them with anti-static materials first.
Tape the seams
After you’ve finished packing the box, you’ll want to tape it shut at the seams to protect your package from being accidentally opened.Packaging tape or duct tape is strong and adhesive enough to keep your package shut while it is being transported through the postal system.Keep the top lid open and tape it shut at the very end just in case you need to change things around or add new stuff to the box later on.
Included relevant labels and information
- Include a variety of labels and pertinent information in your shipment to ensure that it is properly identified. These, among other things, assist your carrier in delivering your product to its proper location. The address for pickup and delivery, which you should write on the exterior of the box.
- If your carrier requires two copies of the label, make two copies of the label. In case one of the outer ones comes loose, leave the other inside just in case the one on the outside does.
- A pro forma invoice should be included and attached to the exterior of the box in case it becomes necessary.
- Do not forget to remove any prior labels or addresses from the box as well, in order to prevent misleading your carrier.
Weigh the package
Now that you’ve finished packing and labeling the cargo, you should weigh it to ensure that the actual weight matches the weight you specified when you made the reservation.If it is significantly heavier, you should expect to be charged more by your carrier.Tip: If you opt to ship your package by UPS, you will be charged an additional fee if you wrap the cardboard box in shrink wrap before mailing it.
How do I package large items for shipping? LTL shipping
When shipping large, heavy items over long distances, such as industrial machines, some consumer appliances, and gym equipment, extra care must be taken to ensure their safety.Damaged or lost shipments may be extremely expensive for you, and you run the risk of losing a customer as a result.Here’s how to properly package bulky products so that they reach at their destination in good condition.
Use durable packaging
Long-distance transportation of large, bulky items such as industrial machinery and gym equipment, as well as some consumer goods and household items, need greater attention and caution.In addition to incurring significant financial losses, damaged or missed shipments may result in the loss of an important client.Learn how to properly package bulky objects so that they reach at their destination in good condition.
Cushion the box generously
Even if your package is mishandled during travel, proper padding surrounding your item decreases the likelihood of it being broken during transit.Styrofoam or specialized foam enclosures, which are dense cushioning materials, can be used to support the box.In addition, avoid using paper or packaging peanuts to cushion large, bulky objects because these materials tend to compress more quickly than other types of cushioning materials do.
Avoid making the freight too heavy
Because of how difficult it is to carry boxes that are overly heavy, they are more likely to be dropped. Heavy freight should be broken down into several shipments, and if feasible, the goods should be disassembled to make it more transportable and less expensive.
Place the shipment on a pallet
When a larger cargo is placed on a pallet (a platform constructed of wood or plastic that is designed to withstand the stress of loading and unloading big goods), it is simpler to move it around.Just be sure that the weight of your package does not exceed the pallet’s maximum capacity.Place heavy objects in the center of the pallet to prevent them from being tipped over when a forklift transports the pallet.
Shake the package
Shake the box to examine whether any of the contents are moving about before sealing the top lid of the container.There may be insufficient or improperly placed padding on the inside if the inside moves around much.If you hear rattling sounds, it’s possible that there are loose objects in the room that might easily shatter other fragile items.Make sure that your cargo is well organized and packed until you can no longer hear the item moving.
- This will lessen the likelihood of damaged items upon arrival.
- It’s common for shipping companies to refuse to accept a shipment if the items within sound unstable or loose.
How do I package items for Freight Shipping?
If your company delivers out many boxes of product each day, it’s likely that you’re storing them on pallets to save space. Furthermore, while a forklift makes the work of lifting the package easier, the human operator is still susceptible to making a mistake. What you need to know about preventing product damage even if the worst happens.
Pack individual boxes properly
Make use of fresh cardboard boxes, which are more durable, and fill them to the brim with cushioning materials to increase the stiffness of the container. Additionally, secure the seams with lots of tape to ensure that the contents of the box remain confined even if the box is inadvertently dropped.
Stack boxes wisely
- The likelihood of a pallet falling over and causing harm to your shipment increases when the pallet is unbalanced. It is critical to equally distribute the weight of the pallet in order to increase the stability of the pallet. Here are a handful of options for accomplishing this: Heavy boxes should be placed at the bottom, while lighter boxes should be placed on top.
- Make sure that the boxes are aligned so that the stack is centered on the pallet
- Every few rows, add a layer of cardboard to push down on any loose or light boxes that are there.
Also, keep an eye out for any overhanging cargo because it has the potential to collide with other cargo and collapse over.
Bring it all together with shrink wrap and/or straps
Shrink wrap unifies a stack of boxes into a single package while also providing additional protection for the product during transport.Wrap your package liberally with three to five layers of paper and twist it at the opposite ends of the package as you wrap it.Shrink wrap with a gauge of 60 or above should also be used for further protection and durability.And, to ensure that your package is completely safe, strap the boxes with plastic or fabric webbing once they have been wrapped.
Label your freight
Completely label each pallet with the entire address and contact information of both the consignee and the shipper on the outside. Place the label on the side or on the top of the container so that it is simple to find.
Packaging fragile items
Because they are readily breakable, fragile products such as glassware, pottery, and commodities made of delicate or brittle materials are more dangerous to carry than other types of goods.These require greater care and attention throughout the packaging process to ensure that they withstand the inevitable bumps and drops that occur during the shipping process.The following steps will help to ensure that your clients do not get damaged orders when they arrive at their destination.
Wrap the item itself
If your item does not arrive packaged in a designated box with all of its accessories, wrap it first in a layer of paper and tape the paper to keep it from unraveling.If there are any holes in the object, you should also stuff them with paper.Then wrap it in a sheet or two of bubble wrap, being sure to completely round the object.In addition, avoid sticking it on too tightly, as the consumer may damage the item while removing all of the tape.
Determine the right size of the box
When you send an item, choosing the appropriate size lets you to achieve a good balance between protection and cost-effectiveness.The box should have a cushioning allowance of two to three inches on each side of the item/s that will be placed in it once the measurements of the item/s have been measured and recorded.You may even pack the item in a smaller box first, and then place that box in a larger box to make it easier to transport.Because individuals have no idea what’s inside, this box-in-box strategy also reduces the likelihood of theft for high-value products.
Create a layer of cushion
When cushioning an item, the idea is to keep it from moving around too much while yet providing some ″give″ from the fillers.In this case, bubble wrap, air cushions, or packing peanuts are all viable options.Fill the box with the cushioning material until it reaches a height of up to two inches.After that, insert the object in the box and make sure it is in the middle.
- After that, stuff the box with the rest of the cushioning materials, being careful not to overfill it.
Use high quality packing materials
The value of utilizing new corrugated cardboard boxes for fragile things cannot be overstated because the material is at its strongest at this time.When it comes to sealing the seams of the box, heavy duty packing or duct tape should be used.A well-sealed box serves as the item’s initial and most durable layer of protection.These high-quality packing materials may be expensive, but they assist to reduce the number of product replacements, which ultimately save you money in the long term.
- Tip of the day: If you’re looking for a way to save money, consider donating to a good cause.
- Create and make use of environmentally friendly packaging.
Packaging oddly shaped items
Curiously shaped products are those that are neither square or rectangular in shape, and many commodities are in fact oddly shaped, including vehicle components, furniture, musical instruments, bottles, wheels, gym equipment, sporting goods, sculptures, and carpets, among other things.This is a challenging item to package, but the key is to use packing materials that are easy to wrap while yet giving enough protection.Large objects that are often delivered by LTL shipment should be wrapped in bubble wrap and polystyrene strips should be used to protect the exposed sections of the item.Once they are packaged, they should be placed in a wooden crate or a corrugated cardboard box with enough space to accommodate air cushions or packaging peanuts.
- Wrapping automobile tires with pressure sensitive tape before placing them in a crate is a good practice.
- Rolls of fabric and carpet should be wrapped individually in plastic and placed inside a cardboard box for shipping purposes.
- When packing tiny objects that can fit into a single box (e.g., bottles), a divider should be used to keep the items from colliding with one another during transit.
A few points to remember
- Oddly shaped products need greater attention to detail in order to reduce the likelihood of damage while in transportation. Here are a few things to bear in mind when planning your trip: Don’t expose any sharp edges to the elements. They should be protected with pieces of cardboard or polystyrene to keep them from becoming damaged.
- If you’re packing large and bulky items such as gym equipment or furniture, make sure to verify the strength of the cardboard box or crate before you ship it.
- Use clear tape to fully adhere the label to the object if there is no flat surface on which to affix it. This will prevent the label from falling off easily.
10 tips for packaging products for delivery
Regardless of the size, shape, or weight of the goods, you may have observed that there are certain basic packaging recommendations to follow in order to protect the shipment from the harsh environment of the shipping process.Some of these suggestions are specific to certain types of items, but all of them will eventually help you save money on shipping expenses while also retaining more consumers.
1. Use high quality cardboard boxes
Check the box’s manufacture stamp to see what it was made of, as well as its weight capacity and building process. The use of double- and triple-walled construction is advised for high weights and fragile objects, respectively.
2. Don’t exceed the weight limit of the box, pallet, or crate
Because overloaded boxes, pallets, and crates are more difficult to manage, they are more prone to dropping and tearing, which can result in damage to the shipment itself. Also, avoid reusing old boxes because they lose their stiffness very fast after being opened.
3. Provide adequate cushioning for the item
After you’ve finished filling the box, lightly shake it before sealing it to make sure there are no traces of movement. If the contents of the container are shifting about excessively, you will need to add extra padding to keep them from shattering from the inside. Remember to leave at least two inches of space for the cushioning materials that you intend to use.
4. Leave no empty space
If there is too much weight on top of a box that is not fully packed, it may collapse. Making the box as full as possible without overfilling it helps to boost its capacity to withstand pressures originating from the top of the box.
5. Wrap individual items
If more than one item can be accommodated in a single box, each item should be wrapped separately to prevent them from injuring one another. If at all feasible, utilize a separator or inserts to ensure that the weight is distributed evenly.
6. Use proper packing materials
Perishable commodities, electronics, and biological substances are examples of items that require particular packaging materials in order to retain their integrity while being shipped across the country.Keep these conditions in mind to prevent incurring additional fees or, even worse, losing the confidence of your consignee, which is especially important if the item is of significant value.
7. Seal the package well
Seams are merely a component of boxes, but when a load is applied to the box, they form a weak spot in the structure. Using enough tape to form a coat of armor for the thing contained within, securely seal the containers.
8. Label the shipment appropriately
Include both the consignor’s and consignee’s complete mailing and telephone addresses and phone numbers.Countries should not be truncated, and certain features such as the nation, city, and province/state should be written in English, rather than a language other than English.Include the postal code as well to reduce the likelihood of delays caused by sorting problems.International deliveries frequently need the completion of a customs form, which should be printed in all capital letters and completed entirely before being picked up.
9. Include a silica gel pack if your product is sensitive to moisture
Packages pass through a variety of regions and are exposed to varying quantities of moisture along their journey. Because moisture may be detrimental to a wide range of consumer goods, it is critical to ensure that your items are delivered in good condition to your clients all over the world.
10. Make sure that products for children are packaged with non-hazardous materials
Infants and young children are generally unaware of the packing that covers their toy, utensil, or book while it is being shipped. Prevent using any potentially dangerous packaging materials that children can accidentally swallow in order to avoid lawsuits from enraged parents.
Cheapest Way to Ship Large & Oversized Packages
- A few important points: Oversized objects are those that surpass the size and weight constraints set out by a courier service
- Shipping big or bulky commodities throughout the world is straightforward when using Easyship.
- Furniture, bicycles, and heavy machinery are examples of huge objects that are frequently delivered.
It is always a challenge for online sellers to transport large or heavy products at a reasonable cost with shipping providers.However, as an eCommerce business owner, you should be aware that delivering huge packages does not have to be an expensive endeavor.Whether you’re shipping across the United States or across international borders, this article will explain the most cost-effective way to transport large goods and how to ship huge things.You’ll discover how to transport huge things at a discount utilizing trustworthy carriers such as the United States Postal Service, UPS, DHL, and FedEx, among others.
- Alternative shipping choices are available through Easyship, which provides up to 70% off reduced shipping costs on more than 250 different delivery options.
Table of Contents
01 What Is an Oversized Item and How Do I Know If I Have One? 02 Shipping Alternatives for Large Objects How to Ship a Large Package in the U.S. 04 Use Easyship to find the most cost-effective and efficient method of shipping large packages. 05 Begin Shipping Large Item on a Budget Right Away 06 Shipping Oversized Items Frequently Asked Questions
What’s an Oversized Item?
- Excessive-sized packages are ones that surpass the size and weight constraints imposed by a courier service provider. In other words, the term ″oversized″ is subjective and depends on the perspective of the shipper. Depending on the shipping carrier, different weight restrictions may apply
- nevertheless, if your package weighs more than 65 pounds, it is most certainly considered a big freight item. The following is a list of often seen huge items: Furniture
What oversized implies to the top four shipping companies when it comes to large package shipment is explained below. In addition, we’ll go over other vital facts, such as the transit time for mailing large products through the United States Postal Service.
Shipping Large Boxes with USPS
- Dimensional Weight: N/ALength/width: Dimensional Weight: N/AL Anything longer than 108″ and wider than 130″ in combined length and breadth is considered to be excessive. Any box that is more than 108 inches in length but shorter than 130 inches in width must be transported by Parcel Select.
- If your item is longer than 108″ and broader than 130″, you’ll need to get in touch with USPS to find out how much it will cost to transport it.
Amount of weight in kilograms and ounces: NALength and breadth in inches: Whatever is longer than 108″ in length and wider than 130″ in length and breadth is prohibited.The use of Parcel Select is required for any package that is more than 108 inches in length but less than 130 inches in width.If your item is longer than 108″ and broader than 130″, you’ll need to contact USPS for a special delivery charge.
Shipping Large Boxes with UPS
- Weight in terms of dimensions: more than 150 pounds The overall length and breadth of this item is almost 165″ in length and width. When it comes to transporting bulky things, UPS has two designations: Big Packages: These are products that measure more than 96 inches on the longest side or more than 130 inches in total length, breadth, and girth. Large shipments weighing more than 90 pounds will be subject to additional costs. Large products can be shipped using standard delivery methods.
- Over Maximum Limits: These products are for shipments weighing more than 150 lbs, or more than 108″ on one side, or measuring more than 130″ in length, breadth, and girth altogether. This type of shipment must be sent through UPS Freight Services, which has a different pricing structure than regular UPS retail services.
Shipping Large Boxes with FedEx
- Weight in terms of dimensions: more than 90 pounds Dimensions: Over 130 inches in total length and width
- over 96 inches on one side. FedEx Oversized is smaller than UPS and USPS in terms of package weight and dimensions, and it is also less expensive.
- Large shipments can be shipped by the United States and International Ground Services, as well as the United States Express Package Service. However, there will be a $90 fee for each shipment
- you may also be subject to extra FedEx fees if you ship large things during the Christmas season.
Shipping Large Boxes with DHL
- Weight in terms of dimensions: more than 155 pounds (70 kilograms). Over 47″ in length and breadth by 31″ in height and width by 31″ (120 cm x 80 cm x 80 cm) Express courier DHL is a global company that specializes in international shipping.
- Obtain pricing quotations from DHL directly so that you are aware of the shipping costs associated with shipping large products
The majority of shipping carriers need you to contact them directly in order to obtain a pricing quotation, which can be time-consuming when compared to receiving a quick cost quote.Easyship provides access to more than 250 courier firms and gives discounts of up to 70% off reduced shipping costs.You no longer have to waste time asking around for price estimates since Easyship streamlines the process and makes calculating shipping costs simpler.
Options For Shipping Large Items
We’ll speak about the huge shipping choices that are accessible to eCommerce business owners now that you’ve learned how to send large products. In addition, we’ll discuss the most cost-effective method of transporting large products as well as the transit timeframes for shipping companies. Here are a few of the most effective methods of delivering heavy objects:
USPS Parcel Select
We’ll speak about the huge shipping choices that are accessible to eCommerce business owners now that you understand how to send large products. Also covered will be the most cost-effective method of transporting large products as well as the transit timeframes for various shipping providers. – Some of the finest options for shipping huge objects include the following options:
Do you require a cost-effective method of shipping large shipments weighing more than 60 pounds without compromising your bottom line?You might wish to consider using UPS Ground as a shipping option.The service enables you to transport huge products weighing up to 150lbs at extremely competitive rates.For big products shipped using this delivery method, the travel period is typically between three and five working days, depending on the destination.
FedEx Ground is a shipping option provided to online retailers that need to transport large items weighing more than 70 lbs, according to FedEx. These services are also greatly reduced, and FedEx Ground shipments are delivered within 3 to 5 business days, depending on the destination.
How to Ship a Large Package
Shipping big or bulky products throughout the world is straightforward when you choose Easyship as your shipping service.In addition, we provide the most cost-effective method of sending large products, as well as a wide range of shipping alternatives.There are various steps you may take in order to send large quantities of goods throughout the United States and the rest of the world.We’ll walk you through the process of shipping large things step-by-step in this section:
1. Package Your Item Properly
This is the first step in sending huge things in the proper manner…. When shipping large shipments, you should utilize durable packing and make certain that the things inside are secured with cushioning materials.
2. Take Measurements
When it comes to determining the costs you pay for delivering large things, the dimensions are quite important. As a result, you must ensure that your packages are accurately measured. Having the dimensions of your shipments in hand can help you get more precise quotes on your shipping costs.
3. Weigh Your Package
Several shipping charges are computed based on the weight of the goods being shipped, which you are well aware of. Shipments are often measured in pounds (lbs), and the greater the weight of the shipment, the more expensive it will be to transport. Ensure that your item does not exceed any weight restrictions by checking the dimensions of your item as well.
4. Calculate Shipping Costs
With our helpful shipping calculator, you can find out how much your box will cost to send by entering the dimensions, weight, origin, and destination of your shipment. You will receive a complete – and accurate – accounting of all expenses.
5. Book and Pay
Once you’ve determined which option will provide you with the most value for your money when shipping large products, all you have to do is book your cargo and pay.
6. Print Your Shipping Labels
The printing of your shipping labels will be required following the payment of your cargo. You’ll also need to print any customs documentation that may be required for your shipment.
7. Label Your Package
When you’re ready to ship your item, attach the printed shipping labels and customs documentation to the outside of the package’s body with packing tape. Don’t forget to use high-quality, clear adhesive adhesives to hold everything together.
8. Send the Package
Whenever you’re ready to ship your product, attach the printed shipping labels and customs documentation to the outside of the box. Always use high-quality transparent adhesive tapes to keep your projects together.
Find the Best and Cheapest Way to Ship Large Packages with Easyship
- Unlike other shipping companies, Easyship goes the additional mile to give eCommerce company owners and merchants with seamless solutions for sending their customers’ purchases all over the world. Furthermore, because of our vast courier choices and low rates, we are the most cost-effective method to transport bulky parcels. In order to make the most of the end-to-end logistical infrastructure that Easyship offers with carriers such as the United States Postal Service, UPS, and FedEx, you must first understand what end-to-end shipping consists of. You’ll be more knowledgeable about shipping huge products as a result. If you want an exact price for low-cost delivery, you should use our shipping rates calculator in the following manner: Enter the address of the place from which you are sending, including the postal code
- Enter the address of the place to which you are mailing, including the postal code
- Enter the length, breadth, and height of your package, as well as the weight and volume.
- Enter the weight of your shipment in pounds and kilograms.
- To view the quotations, use the ″calculate″ button.
We’ll go through how to use our free shipping rates calculator to figure out how much international shipping will cost you in this section.
Cheapest Way to Ship Large Packages Internationally
International shipping does not have to be difficult, especially when it comes to large products.Easyship, on the other hand, provides more than 250 courier alternatives as well as discounted shipping costs of up to 70% off.Transporting goods from the United States to Canada Consider the following scenario: you need to send a 65-pound item from the United States to Canada.We’ll utilize our free shipping rates calculator to figure out how much it will cost to send your package.
- The DHL eCommerce Express Worldwide service, for example, costs $184.56 and has a delivery period of 1-2 business days, as shown.
- Alternatively, Priority Mail Express International from the United States Postal Service costs $325.29 and will arrive within 7-10 business days.
- Register for a free Easyship account to view even more possibilities if none of the above solutions strike your interest.
- Shipping packages from the United States to Australia Consider the following scenario: you want to transport a 75-pound item from the United States to Australia this time.
We’ll utilize our shipping rates calculator to figure out how much it will cost to ship the package once again.Clearly, UPS Worldwide Expedited delivery costs $360.09 and is the fastest, cheapest, and most cost-effective method of shipping available.UPS Worldwide Saver, on the other hand, costs $497.27 and delivers packages in 2-5 business days for the same price.Transporting goods from the United States to Europe Do you want to ship anything to the United Kingdom?Consider the following scenario: you wish to transport the same 75-pound cargo again, but this time to the United Kingdom.
The shipping fees are listed below.If you need your product delivered as soon as possible, UPS Worldwide Expedited will cost you $236.86 and will deliver your goods in as little as 2 working days.UPS Worldwide Saver, which costs $346.73 and delivers within 2-5 business days, is an alternative option.Shipping goods from the United States to China Consider the following scenario: you wish to convey a 75-pound item from the United States to China.The rates for the 75-pound package are listed below.
- If you need your cargo sent as soon as possible, UPS Worldwide Expedited will cost you $327.38 and will arrive in 2 working days.
- UPS Worldwide Saver, which costs $412.17 and will deliver your shipment in 2-5 working days, is an alternative option.
- Register for a free Easyship account to explore a broader range of possibilities.
- You will then be provided with the most cost-effective method of shipping bulky products.
- Shipping packages from the United States to Singapore Finally, let’s imagine you want to transport a box to Singapore that weighs 75 pounds.
- The shipping expenses for a shipment weighing 75 pounds are listed below.
- The UPS Worldwide Expedited service, as shown above, costs $281.83 and takes up to 2 business days to deliver your goods.
- Furthermore, this is the most expedient, least expensive, and most cost-effective delivery option available.
- UPS Worldwide Saver and Worldwide Express, on the other hand, are shipping options that are more costly and take longer to deliver.
You’ve come to the right place if you’re seeking for the best and most affordable shipping rates for sending huge things.
Start Shipping Large Items on a Budget!
You can always discover the finest and most cost-effective shipping options with Easyship, whether you’re delivering 10 items or 10,000.This is particularly true if you’re looking for the cheapest method to ship an enormous shipment, which Easyship will help you with.Easyship provides more than 250 courier alternatives, with reductions ranging from 20 percent to 70 percent off shipping prices.This is the most effective method of determining the most cost-effective approach to send big commodities.
- Easyship provides eCommerce company owners with everything they need, from gym equipment and apparel to baggage, cosmetic supplies, and even car parts.
- There’s no longer any need to be concerned about how to ship bulky products because we’ll be there every step of the way for you.
- Start saving money on shipping big products right away by creating an account with us now!
Shipping Oversized Items FAQ
- What is the best way to mail a huge item without using a box? If you’re not sending in a box, make sure to use lots of packing material and seal your cargo with tape if you are. The cost of shipping a large, lightweight box is not specified. Shipping a 50-pound box from New York to Los Angeles with the United States Postal Service Priority Mail costs $131.06 (plus tax). What are some of the most often transported big items? Oversized things such as furniture, machines, and televisions are typical. The following may be of interest to you if you found this article informative: What is the cheapest method of shipping packages in 2021? What is the cheapest method of shipping clothes and apparel in 2021? What is the cheapest method of shipping internationally in 2021?
Cheapest Way to Ship Heavy Items: Carriers and Classes for Shipping Large Items
What do you hope to gain knowledge about?Isn’t it true that huge items come with big problems?Even though shipping heavy-weight huge packages and enormous things might seem like a pain in the neck, there are a variety of carriers that can provide fast and simple transportation of even the largest and bulkiest items or the peace of mind that a company owner needs.By weighing the advantages and disadvantages of various shipping options, you can choose which shipping solution is most appropriate for your company.
Table of contents:
- I’m interested in learning what you desire. The assumption is that large goods entail large challenges. However, while shipping heavy-weight or bulky things might seem like a pain in the neck at times, there are several carriers who can provide quick and easy shipment of even the heaviest or largest of parcels while also providing a company owner with peace of mind and security. Determine which shipping solution is ideal for your company by weighing the advantages and disadvantages of different carriers.
What to consider when shipping heavy items
There is a lot to consider when picking who to ship your big products with and how to transport them.When it comes to shipping, size is just as important as weight.If you have two items that weigh the same but are different sizes and shapes, you’ll likely get two different shipping quotes from two separate shipping firms as a consequence.With that in mind, here are some considerations to keep in mind while shipping large or heavy items:
1. Dimensional weight
This is a relatively new notion (UPS and FedEx began utilizing dimensional weight in 2015, and the United States Postal Service adopted it in 2019), and it came about as a result of shipping firms losing money on packages that were both enormous and incredibly light.The ″theoretical″ weight of your package is represented by its dimensional weight.They will determine how much weight your package would have if it were to take up the same amount of volumetric space as your package by applying their own minimum density value, and then charge you for the more expensive option (the actual weight or dimensional weight).This is particularly essential to remember if your shipments weigh less than the dimensions weight, and you’ll want to acquire estimates from firms to figure out the true cost rather than calculating the cost yourself based on the actual weight.
2. Fragility items
Also, if your item is delicate and requires a little additional care, you may want to select a carrier that takes pleasure in handling fragile packages rather than one that prioritizes speedier delivery times, which might negatively impact parcel transportation.
3. Origin and destination of the package
It doesn’t matter how heavy your box is; carriers will use the origin and destination addresses to determine which shipping zone you’re sending to – the further away the address is, the higher the zone, and the higher the zone, the more expensive shipping will be to the destination address.
4. Carrier’s rules
Each carrier has its own set of restrictions, and the one you choose will have a significant impact on your shipping costs, depending on what you’re transporting. There are some carriers that are more accommodating than others when it comes to weight, size, and fragility – we’ll go into more depth about this in the next section.
5. Type of service being used
Is it your intention to offer international shipping services? Do you want it delivered the next day? 2-day shipping? Yes, please. Overnight? Each of these factors should be taken into consideration while selecting a carrier.
Best ways to ship heavy and large items (+ top carriers compared)
In the world of heavy-weight and large shipping, there are a number of well-known names in the business.Each of them provides at least one good alternative for specific sorts of products, but not all of them are cost-effective shipping options for larger items.Choosing the perfect one might be the difference between being in the red and being in the black, so keep reading to find out which ones provide the best combination for you.However, whereas carriers/shippers that serve to smaller businesses and individual consumers (such as the United States Postal Service, UPS, and FedEx) advertise their pricing publicly, carriers that engage with bigger enterprises on a larger scale are less likely to publicize their prices (FedEx Freight, DHL).
- If your goods is large enough and in large enough quantities, freight shipping will almost always be less expensive than parcel delivery, making it worthwhile to shop around for the best deal on freight shipping services.
The cheapest way to ship heavy items
In the world of heavy-weight and large shipping, there are quite a few well-known names in the business.Each of them provides at least one good choice for certain sorts of shipments, but not all of them are cost-effective shipping solutions for the majority of customers.Making the perfect choice might be the difference between being in the red and being in the black, so keep reading to find out which ones provide the best combination for you.However, whereas carriers/shippers that serve to smaller businesses and individual consumers (such as the United States Postal Service, UPS, and FedEx) display their pricing publicly, carriers that engage with bigger corporations on a larger scale do not (FedEx Freight, DHL).
- In most cases, if your product is large enough and in large enough quantities, freight shipping will be less expensive than parcel shipping, making it worthwhile to shop around for the best freight shipping rates.
The United States Postal Service offers a variety of shipping options and USPS mail kinds, including an overnight mailing option.
Priority Mail: 1-3 days
In all sizes, from little envelopes to enormous boxes, the weight restriction for Priority Mail is 70 pounds.The greatest size they provide is approximately 1 foot by 1 foot and 6 inches in size.Prices range from $6.95 for a tiny envelope to $17.60 for a large box, depending on the size.If you have small to medium-sized things that are thick and hefty and don’t need them to get to the consumer right away, this is a wonderful choice for you — but it’s worth noting that delivery in 1-3 days is still fairly decent.
Priority Mail Express: overnight
In the event that you need to send your product to its destination as fast as possible, Priority Mail Express is an excellent choice.The cost of sending a package under 70 pounds starts at $22.50, but that is the price of the flat rate shipping envelope, thus the cost of shipping only goes up from there.If your item is hefty and can be crammed into the flat rate envelope, this will be the most cost-effective alternative for you to choose.If it’s a larger item, you could have better experience with another shipping company.
Media Mail: 2-10 days
Media Mail is only available to a very limited segment of USPS consumers.Shipping any type of media (books, CDs, DVDs) is far more affordable than shipping anything else when you use Media Mail, which is available for purchase online.Keep in mind, however, that if the USPS inspects your item and determines that you’ve violated the regulations (which they have the authority to do), they will return the parcel to you for inadequate postage, which you will have to pay.Those shipping media that is a bit heavier than usual, on the other hand, will be pleased to know that they will not find a better pricing anywhere else.
Ground: 2-8 days
If your goods is too large to send in a large flat rate package through Priority Mail, Retail Ground delivery will be the best option for your situation.However, the weight restriction remains at 70 pounds, and it is intended for items that are too large to fit in the Priority Mail boxes.As you can see, the delivery time is far longer than expected.Additionally, pricing are computed based on zone and weight – for example, if you’re travelling to Zone 4, prices might range from $8 to $67, depending on how much you’re shipping.
- Putting your figures into an online calculator to determine if it’s a good fit in terms of pricing is worthwhile if you’re not in a rush.
FedEx offers a couple of heavy-lifting and oversize-transportation services.
Ground: 1-7 days
If you’ve been feeling left out because of the USPS’s 70-pound weight limit, FedEx is here to help.However, they have a less predictable delivery time and a more inclusive weight limit of 150 pounds, as well as sizes that are as long as 108 inches, and as long as 165 inches including girth, and as wide as 48 inches.FedEx Ground might be a wonderful alternative if your items are larger and/or heavier than what the United States Postal Service allows for in its flat pricing.
Freight: Priority or Economy
Price ranges for FedEx Freight are impossible to provide since they vary so much by zone and item size.However, if you’re delivering pallets of large products, here is the place to start your search.The priority option, of course, is for faster delivery over the economy option, and both are determined by the entire weight and size of your pallet.When you have a big number of goods to mail and/or a significant amount of weight to transport overall, this might be a significantly more cost-effective choice than shipping the packages separately.
DHL’s heavy shipping choices are excellent for international shipment, and they even provide expedited shipping alternatives as well.
In addition, DHL owns, co-owns, or collaborates with a number of various airlines across the world.In addition to providing a door-to-door delivery service, it provides an air freight service in which your freight is loaded to various flights that are planned along significant routes (plus airport-to-door, or door-to-airport).It, like all other carriers, provides options for how quickly you need your freight delivered, ranging from Urgent Air Freight (1-2 days) to Air Economy (5-7 days), as well as options for special cargo, temperature-controlled environments, and international shipments that must arrive on a specific day.
DHL’s ocean freight service is quite similar to its air freight service in that it transports freight across international borders on a variety of ocean carriers.A comparable range of customized alternatives is available, including temperature-controlled spaces and the transfer of liquids.They also provide Full Container (FCL) and Less Than Container (LCL) shipping options.Overall, freight solutions are used when your goods is too heavy, large, or bulky to be shipped by parcel delivery at a reasonable cost.
- Shipping it via pallet or container makes more sense because you will obtain a better price and service this way.
What to do before shipping large and heavy items
Although losing or damaging goods is the worst-case situation, it is one that you will almost certainly have to deal with at some point.So, what can you do to reduce the danger, as well as the amount of money you’ll have to spend on the replacement goods and shipping costs?Insurance for the shipment.When weighed against the benefits, it’s not that expensive, and it’s definitely worth it if you’re sending a large number of things.
Is there a recent instance in which you bought anything online and were not provided with order tracking information?It’s possible that it’s been a while.Overall, when clients anticipate a specific degree of care, it is your responsibility to provide that care.Apart from the fact that it is anticipated, it fosters confidence with them and results in a greater perceived value – not to mention the fact that you can trace all of your shipments.
Delivery confirmation is essential for a successful monitored package delivery, and it also assists you with your insurance claim, making it a win-win situation. You’ll be notified when the product is delivered (as will your consumers), and you may utilize that information not just to benefit your customers, but also to aid you if the package is stolen from their possession.
How do ecommerce shops ship heavy items?
As you may guess, delivering big things for ecommerce companies is a little different than traditional shipping.Many ecommerce businesses that are seeking to grow find it difficult to manage inventory storage, monitoring, and shipping of large amounts of goods, so they turn to third-party retail fulfillment companies for assistance.There are also third-party logistics organizations that specialize in the transportation of large, heavy objects.It may be quite beneficial in terms of scalability, shipping more quickly, and even cutting total shipping costs.
- When you outsource the management of your inventory to a third party, you may take advantage of various fulfillment centers and negotiate lower shipping costs with shipping carriers, allowing you to pass those savings on to your customers.
Transporting large, bulky objects is always going to be more difficult than transporting tiny and lightweight stuff.Accounting for all of the numerous factors and costs that are imposed on, from weight limitations to dimensional weight, may be a difficult task, but perhaps this article has been of use to you.Shipping expenses may eat away at your revenues, whether you are a little business or a large corporation with several locations.Shipping costs change and may have a significant impact on your bottom line if you don’t keep track of them.
- It’s always worthwhile to conduct your homework and determine which carrier would be the best fit for your company.
Shipping large items FAQs
The following are the answers to the most often asked questions concerning transporting heavy products.
What is the cheapest way to ship large items?
Consolidated freight is the most cost-effective method of transporting large products. However, it is critical that you evaluate shipping companies based on the type of item you are mailing and how hefty the package is.
Does UPS ship large?
Yes, UPS does send huge items, but only up to a certain size restriction. The packages they send must weigh no more than 150 pounds and measure no more than 165 inches in both girth and length.
Does USPS have a size limit?
They do have a maximum weight and size limit. You must send packages that weigh less than 70 pounds and are smaller than 108 inches in total length and circumference in order to qualify for expedited shipping services.
Need help with fulfilment?
Request a quotation from ShipBob using the form below to get in contact and see if ShipBob is the appropriate match for your company.
Heavy Weight Shipping: How to Ship Large & Heavy Items
- When it comes to shipping, consumers clearly desire speedy and inexpensive (or even free) — but selecting how to send your items and how to pass along or absorb the cost of shipping can be difficult to determine. And it gets considerably more difficult if y