What to do if your package is stolen 1. File a police report If you seriously suspect you’ve been hit by a porch pirate, and something was stolen from your stoop, call the police and file a police report for the stolen package. Without witnesses, they won’t be able to do much, but they’ll take note of the incident.
Whether you think your neighbor stole your parcel or someone else, you can frequently get a refund or a replacement from the sender or delivery company.
- Contact the Sender.
- Report It to FedEx, UPS or USPS.
- Report the package theft to Amazon.
- File a Police Report for the Stolen Package.
- Talk to Your Credit Card Company.
Track the package.
What do I do if my package is stolen from USPS?
Jennifer J Taylor/Getty Images If your stolen package was delivered by a major postal carrier such as USPS, UPS, or FedEx, you should file a claim with the respective shipping company. If you know your package has been stolen, you could reach out to the sender or seller about a possible replacement or refund.
How to get a stolen package back from Amazon?
Amazon, USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL Package Was Stolen — Top 5 Ways You Can Try to Get It Back Way 1. Take a Detailed Search of Your Home and Neighborhood When Package Was Stolen Way 2. Use Security Camera Footage to Track Your Package Stolen from Porch/Doorway Way 3. Contact the Courier Company When Your Package Was Stolen from Porch
Who is responsible if a package is stolen?
Take as a whole, the Buyer is largely put in the position to resolve the issue by reaching out to the Seller or making a claim with the Delivery Company. The Buyer is also responsible for reporting the crime to the local police.
Will USPS refund for stolen package?
You can only get a refund for a stolen USPS package if you are the seller, and you purchased insurance on the parcel. If you are the recipient and your package was stolen, USPS will not reimburse you for the loss. Instead, the onus is on the seller to reimburse you or replace the item that was stolen.
Does USPS insurance cover stolen packages?
If you bought insurance, a USPS claim will cover the shipping costs and package value up to the specified amount for damaged or lost mail, Some services like Express Mail also have delivery guarantees so you’re able to file a claim if it doesn’t arrive on time.
Did USPS steal my package?
If you think your mail has been stolen, notify the Postal Inspector at 877-876-2455 or at the USPS Office of the Inspector General website at uspsoig.gov/investigations. It’s also best to file a claim as quickly as possible.
How do I get a refund from item not received?
If you qualify for a return but the seller won’t give you your money back, you have some options:
- Write a complaint letter: we have advice to help you do that and a sample letter.
- Consider getting help from a consumer organization like Call for Action, Consumer Action, or the Better Business Bureau.
Does USPS compensate for lost packages?
If the item was insured and the USPS staff damaged the item while in their possession, a claim will reimburse you for the loss. Keep in mind you need a proof of value or an estimate of the cost to repair the items that were damaged.
Is seller responsible for stolen package?
Who is responsible if a thief steals your packages: the retailer, the carrier or you? ANSWER: Typically, you’re out of luck, unless the retailer decides to be generous. Delivery companies say they’re not responsible for reimbursement if the package was successfully delivered to the correct house.
Do delivery drivers steal packages?
While the possibility always exists that a delivery driver could steal your package, the chances are slim. While there are untrustworthy people in every line of work, delivery companies such as Amazon, USPS, UPS, and FedEx have a vested interest in preventing stolen packages.
What happens if USPS says delivered?
They’ll be able to respond faster to you. They’ll most likely tell you to wait 24 hours, so you may want to wait 24 hours before contacting them, anyway. After 24 hours, if your package still hasn’t arrived despite it saying, “Delivered,” then you’ll definitely want to speak with a USPS representative.
How do I report a stolen package to USPS?
Losses are charted by the Postal Inspection Service to identify problem areas and assist Inspectors in tracking down thieves. Report suspected mail losses to Postal Inspectors by calling 877-876-2455 or at www.uspis.gov. Keep Registered Mail separate from other mail.
Can I sue USPS for lost package?
You can report a missing USPS package by filing a claim at the USPS claims site. The sender or receiver of a USPS package can file a claim, but the original purchase receipt must be available. You can receive a refund for mail that is lost or never delivered to its final destination as long as the package is insured.
Who file claim for lost package USPS?
Either the sender or the recipient may file a claim for insured mail that is lost, arrived damaged, or was missing contents. The person filing must have the original mailing receipt. Each claim must be filed within a certain time period and include proof of insurance, value, and damage.
How to file a claim if your package is stolen?
What to do when packages are lost or stolen?
How do I report a stolen Amazon package?
What to Do If You Have a Lost or Stolen Package
Continue to the main content Expert in security, safety, and technology reporting More information can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/news/business/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/ Packages might go misplaced from time to time.We have to admit that most of the time when you’re looking for a lost package, it’s because someone has taken it from your front door and taken off.Almost 26 million shipments were stolen in the United States in 2017.¹ You can follow these methods to get your package stolen back, track down the burglar, or frighten off porch pirates before they do their heinous act of vandalism.To see more videos like this one, make sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Learn how to keep your house, your loved ones, yourself, and your valuables safe from harm’s way.
Here’s what to do if a package is stolen
Keep yourself safe! Subscribing to SafeWise’s weekly email is free of charge. Get the latest information about safety news, product launches, and special offers.
What to do if your package is stolen
If you have a genuine suspicion that you have been hit by a porch pirate and that something has been taken from your stoop, call the authorities and submit a police complaint for the stolen parcel with the police department where you live.If there are no witnesses, they will be powerless to prevent the incident, but they will make a record of it.Keep in mind to give the cops any film you have from your doorbell camera if you have it.You should also inform them of the time the delivery provider said your box was delivered and the time you discovered it had gone missing.The police will be more likely to investigate and apprehend the package thieves if they hear from other people in your neighborhood who are experiencing the same difficulties as you.
- Filing a police report may also be beneficial if you want to file an insurance claim for the delivery that was not received.
Watch out for post-pandemic porch pirates
- Package theft increased dramatically across the country, from Buffalo, New York, to Eugene, Oregon, as more people were compelled to purchase online as a result of the outbreak. And the epidemic porch pirates came up with some ingenious solutions. Theft of packages was committed by a group of women in Kennewick, Washington, who disguised themselves as nurses. Another package thief struck in Pennsylvania, this time stealing the ashes of a loved one off the doorstep. Even if the epidemic is slowing down, we recommend that you exercise greater caution. Keep track of each and every package
- Take delivery of items as soon as you receive a delivery notification
- check to see if your video doorbell or security camera is sending you motion alerts
- use delivery lockers if you have the option
- The majority of the time, a misplaced shipment is something you specifically requested. If this is the case, you should contact the vendor and inform them that your product has not been delivered as expected. Is the seller liable for packages that have been stolen? Maybe. It all depends on the website where you made your purchase and the policies that are in place on that site. You could wish to inquire with the company’s customer care department. In my experience, firms who send out a replacement immediately quickly, without any questions asked, have a high rate of success. However, not every firm will provide you with a replacement item or a refund for your purchase. Keep any evidence that supports your allegation in a safe place. If you receive a notification of delivery, but the package is not where it was supposed to be, take a photo of the situation.
- Keep a record of your order confirmation number and any other information that can assist the company in tracking down your purchase.
- Keep track of delivery numbers and information to provide along to the firm so that it can contact the courier on your behalf.
In most cases, a lost box contains something you ordered.If this is the case, you should contact the vendor and inform them that your product has not been delivered as scheduled.When shipments are stolen, is the seller responsible?Maybe.Whatever happens is entirely up to the policies of the website where you made your purchase.
- Check with the company’s customer care department if necessary.
- In my experience, organizations who send out a replacement immediately soon, without any questions asked, have a high rate of customer satisfaction.
- However, not every firm will provide you with a replacement item or a refund.
- Any evidence that supports your argument should be kept on hand.
- If you receive a notification of delivery, but the package is not where it was supposed to be, take a photo of the situation to prove it.
- Keep a record of your order confirmation number and any other information that can assist the company in tracking down your shipment.
- Keep track of delivery numbers and information to pass along to the firm so that it may contact the carrier on their behalf.
3. How do I report a stolen package to Amazon?
Amazon is well-known for its lightning-fast Prime shipping and its ″no questions asked″ mentality, which is essentially true.If the tracking information for an Amazon delivery indicates that it was delivered, but you are unable to locate it, you should be able to obtain a refund rather quickly and simply.After 36 hours have gone since the estimated delivery date of the stolen Amazon shipment, you should call Amazon to report the theft.If your products are delivered late, the shipping company will normally reimburse your account for the inconvenience.You won’t have to worry about dealing with third-party merchants (or even their own services) because the corporation will manage everything for you.
4. How do I report a stolen FedEx package?
FedEx makes it simple to file a claim for a misplaced shipment.If you bought or mailed something from the United States via FedEx, you may make a FedEx stolen parcel claim online to get your goods back.FedEx is also a rather quick delivery service.In most cases, claims are resolved within five to seven business days of being filed.When it comes to filing a claim for damaged or missing materials, you’ll have 60 calendar days to do so as either the sender or the recipient.
- For lost item claims, you’ll have up to nine months to file them.
- However, make sure to save all packaging and evidence in case FedEx want to inspect them.
5. How do I report a stolen package to UPS?
Lost parcel claims are processed quickly and efficiently by FedEx.For those who have bought or delivered something from the United States via FedEx, you can register an online FedEx stolen parcel claim.The FedEx delivery system is also rather quick.Typically, claims are resolved within five to seven business days after submission.When it comes to filing a claim for damaged or missing items, you’ll have 60 calendar days to do so, and you’ll have up to nine months if you’re the sender or a third-party.
- However, be sure to save all packaging and proof in case FedEx requests to inspect them.
6. Contact USPS about a stolen package
- Because it is more difficult to submit a claim with the USPS than it is with other carriers, parcels stolen or lost by the USPS can be more difficult to track down than goods lost by other carriers. While the company’s procedure for reimbursing damaged parcels is well defined, the procedure for reimbursing stolen mail is not. If your parcel was mailed and delivered by the United States Postal Service, but it has not arrived, you will need to make a claim. Prepare the tracking number in advance
- Be prepared to present proof of insurance coverage.
- If at all feasible, obtain documentation demonstrating the item’s worth.
If your shipment has been stolen and there is evidence, you should snap photographs and submit them as evidence as well. If your item was insured by the United States Postal Service, you should be able to request a reimbursement straight from USPS. Generally speaking, if your shipment was stolen by the USPS, you should be able to get a replacement or a refund through the vendor.
What you can do to prevent package theft (or track down those porch pirates!)
You should take use of whatever cameras you have, whether they be doorbell cameras or outside security cameras.If a shipment is not delivered as promised, keep an eye out for it on video.The parcel may be checked to see if it was delivered by the carrier or if it was taken by someone else.If you see a theft, you should contact your local police station.Alternatively, if you can demonstrate that no one ever showed up at your door, the carrier (if you’re the shipper) or shipper (if you’re the recipient) will be required to repay you the money you paid.
- Installing a camera on your porch will provide you with proof of delivery or theft.
- These days, there is a wide selection of smart doorbells and home security cameras to choose from.
- Some use applications to give out fast notifications, while others just capture video footage.
2. Shine a light on the situation
Porch pirates like to remain hidden in the shadows. Install a motion-activated light on your porch to deter burglars from entering your home. Motion light and security camera combinations are also available on the market. You’ll have a visually stunning deterrent as well as a method to catch the perpetrators in the act.
Tell us about your lost or stolen package experience
Being a victim of package theft is never enjoyable, and dealing with defective carriers is even worse.We hope that this guidance will assist you in taking precautionary actions, obtaining a refund, or obtaining a replacement as fast as possible.If you have any tips on how to recover a misplaced or stolen parcel, please share them with us in the comments section below!It’s always beneficial to hear first-person recollections of events.
Related pages on SafeWise
Compare the best home security systems
|Brand||Best for||Lowest monitoring price||Starter equipment price||Contract required||Smart home compatibility||Learn more||Read review|
|Vivint||Best overall||$29.99/mo.||$0 due up-front with consumer financing.″>$599.00||No No-contract options available with outright equipment purchase. ″>*||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View packages||Read review|
|Frontpoint||High-end DIY pick||$34.99/mo.||$129.00||No||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View packages||Read review|
|SimpliSafe||Reader favorite||$17.99/mo.||$229.00||No||Amazon,Google||View packages||Read review|
|Cove||Best customer experience||$14.99/mo.||Quote required||No No-contract options available with outright equipment purchase. ″>*||Amazon,Google||View packages||Read review|
|ADT||Most experienced||$27.99/mo.||With $99 installation charge and new monitoring agreement. Early termination fee applies. $27.99/mo. price applies to landline monitoring only. Some restrictions apply. See full disclaimer for full offer details, terms, and conditions.″>$0.00||Yes||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View packages||Read review|
|Abode||Best DIY automation||$20.00/mo.||$279.00||No||Amazon, Apple, Google, Z-Wave, Zigbee||View packages||Read review|
|Ring||Best outdoor cameras||$20.00/mo.||$199.99||No||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View on Amazon||Read review|
|Blue by ADT||Best optional monitoring||$19.99/mo.||$199.15||No||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View Packages||Read review|
|Wyze||Best budget pick||$4.99/mo.||$85.98||No||Amazon,Google||View on Amazon||Read review|
|Brinks||Most safety sensor options||$39.99/mo.||$199.00||Yes||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View packages||Read review|
Products are priced and made available according to current market conditions as of the date/time specified and are subject to change.If a product is listed at a lower price or is no longer available, the lower price and availability information will apply to the purchase of this product.Safewise.com makes use of Amazon affiliate links that are compensated.The Amazon website provides some of the material that appears on this site.Please note that this content is supplied ″as-is″ and that it is subject to alteration or removal at any moment without notice.
- Rebecca Edwards has written an article.
- Rebecca is the chief safety reporter and in-house expert at SafeWise.com.
- She has worked in the industry for over a decade.
- She has worked as a writer and blogger for more than 25 years, with the last eight years devoted to issues of home and community safety.
- Month after month, Rebecca spends dozens of hours combing over crime records and detecting trends.
- Her safety expertise is in high demand by periodicals, broadcast journalists, non-profit organizations, podcasts, and other media outlets, among other things.
- Among the publications that have featured her professional advice and analysis are TechCrunch, The Washington Post, The Chicago Tribune, The Miami Herald, NPR, HGTV, MSN, Reader’s Digest, and Real Simple, in addition to an ever-growing archive of radio and television clips.
- Return to the top of the page
Here’s what to do if your package gets stolen – and how to prevent it from happening
- If your stolen parcel was delivered by a major postal carrier such as the United States Postal Service, UPS, or FedEx, you should make a claim with the shipping firm responsible for the delivery.
- It is feasible to contact the shipper or seller regarding a possible replacement or refund if you know your box has been stolen.
- Consider making a police complaint for your stolen parcel as well, as it may be beneficial to your case if and when you decide to submit an insurance claim.
- Video doorbells, such as those made by Ring and Arlo, provide safety by discouraging or capturing thieves.
As more individuals work from home and the public becomes more aware of porch pirates, you might think that package thieves would think twice about taking something from outside someone’s front door.But that’s not the case.Packages, on the other hand, are frequently taken from people’s front steps, and criminals are becoming increasingly more cunning in their methods of doing so.When a box is stolen, it is a frightening and irritating trend, and if it is your first time having a parcel taken, you may be unclear of what to do next and where to turn.Nonetheless, there are actions you may take after your property has been taken in an attempt to recover it or possibly obtain a replacement for it.
What to do if your package gets stolen
As more individuals work from home and the public becomes more aware of porch pirates, you would think that package thieves would think twice about stealing something from outside someone’s front door.But that is not the case.Packages, on the other hand, are frequently taken from people’s front steps, and criminals are becoming increasingly inventive in their methods of theft.When a box is stolen, it is a distressing and irritating trend, and if it is your first experience with a stolen parcel, you may be unclear of what to do.However, if your property is stolen, there are procedures you may take to try to recover it or possibly obtain a replacement for your loss.
Contact the delivery carrier
The majority of big delivery firms have specialized processes in place to deal with stolen shipments, so contacting them is your best bet for resolving the situation. FedEx, UPS, the United States Postal Service, and Amazon all offer claims websites where you may tell them what occurred and they will try to assist you in getting your shipment back.
File a police report
Another option you have if you believe your shipment has been stolen is to make a police report with the authorities in your local area.Even if there are no witnesses, the police will likely be unable to do anything.However, if other people in your neighborhood also report robberies, the police will have more information and will be more likely to apprehend the perpetrators.Additionally, if you wind up needing to submit an insurance claim to be compensated for your stolen stuff, having a police record can help you out tremendously.
Contact the sender for a possible refund or replacement
The next step is to get in touch with the person who sent the items to you.If it’s a business, they may simply send a new box in response to an allegation that their delivery was never delivered or went missing – this is especially true for huge corporations such as Amazon.Others may not give you a replacement, but they may compensate you for the cost of the things you purchased in error.Make a note of your order number, tracking number, and any other pertinent information in case they require it to assist you.Although not every organization can afford such rules, some may nevertheless try to assist you or create an exception in your case, especially if you can supply them with evidence.
- If you have footage of the box being taken, that’s obviously beneficial, but it might also be beneficial if you have a notice of delivery to put in, so that the company can certify that a parcel was in fact delivered on their end of the chain of custody.
Install a video doorbell as a precautionary measure
It is necessary for you to get in touch with the person who sent you the items following that.Companies, particularly major ones such as Amazon and FedEx, may simply send a replacement shipment in response to an allegation that an item was never delivered or went missing.Alternatively, some companies may choose not to provide a replacement but may choose to pay you for the products’ purchase price.Ensure that you maintain hold of your order number, tracking number, and any other pertinent information in case they require it to assist you.Although not every organization can afford such rules, some may nevertheless try to assist you or create an exception in your case, especially if you can supply them with supporting proof.
- If you have footage of the box being taken, that’s obviously beneficial, but it might also be beneficial if you have a notice of delivery to put in, so that the company can validate that a parcel was in fact delivered on their end of the chain of command.
Package Was Stolen: Top 5 Effective Ways to Take — Reolink Blog
I had my package taken away from me on the porch! What should I do at this point? If your package has been taken from the front porch, doorstep, front door, mailbox, or any other location, you may recover as much of it as possible by following the five practical methods listed below.
Amazon, USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL Package Was Stolen — Top 5 Ways You Can Try to Get It Back
When your shipment is stolen during transit or after delivery, don’t waste any time in putting the top 5 methods listed below to use. Method 1: Conduct a thorough search of your home Method 2: Make use of security camera footage Method 3: Contact the courier company Method 4: Contact the staff of the online store Method 5: File a police report or make a claim
Way 1. Take a Detailed Search of Your Home and Neighborhood When Package Was Stolen
Whenever your package is stolen or lost from your porch, doorstep, or anywhere else, you must search around all of the entrances to your home in order to locate your missing package.Amazon, the United States Postal Service, UPS, FedEx, DHL, and other delivery firms may have simply left your box in a difficult-to-find location, such as a porch, shrubs, garage, window grilles, or on a tree, among other things.Check with your neighbors to see if they can help you with your parcel delivery.Occasionally, the courier will make a clerical error and deliver your delivery to your neighbors instead of you.If your thoughtful neighbor assists you in retrieving your package, you will have a seamless return process.
Way 2. Use Security Camera Footage to Track Your Package Stolen from Porch/Doorway
Using security camera video to trace down your stolen parcel is an excellent method of recovering your box.It is possible to determine when your shipment was delivered to your home when you install a security camera (the plug-and-play wireless security camera and the PoE IP camera are both highly suggested options).Take a peek at the package delivery footage shot by theReolink 410 in the video below (shared by a customer).With the Reolink RLC-410PoE Bullet IP Security Camera with Audio, you get 5MP/4MP Super HD resolution, outdoor/indoor protection, 100ft infrared night vision, audio recording, and mobile remote access and control.Suppose a package thief steals your item from the porch or doorstep of your apartment after the courier has brought it to your door, your security camera will capture everything, including the criminal’s face and vehicle plate number (if he or she drives a car).
- The police can assist you in locating your stolen package promptly and recovering your box if you have clear photographs of the criminal and his license plate number on hand.
- Furthermore, if you live with a nasty neighbor, it is possible that your package, which you have placed on your porch or doorstep, will be taken by your bad neighbor.
- Your unpleasant neighbor will be unable to refute his or her bad behavior in the face of the evident evidence presented by your security camera.
- As a result, you will be able to recover your stolen shipment.
- Following the publication of news that a Reolink PoE IP camera had captured package thieves in the act, there was a flurry of commentary on social media.
- You may read the entire article by clicking here.
- The faces of the burglars as well as the license plate are captured clearly by this security camera.
- With such excellent photographs, the police will be able to apprehend the evil man to the greatest extent feasible.
Way 3. Contact the Courier Company When Your Package Was Stolen from Porch
FedEx fails to deliver my delivery, and it is stolen.What should I do now?If your shipment is stolen, make sure to notify the delivery company right once.You must submit your tracking number as well as any other relevant information that will allow us to follow down the route taken by your delivery.Some shipping firms provide insurance for parcels on a regular basis.
- If the USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL, and other express firms are unable to assist you in tracking down your misplaced item, they can at the very least assist you in filing an insurance claim for your box.
- As a result, you will be able to minimize your loss to the greatest extent feasible.
- Alternatively, if the shipping business is unable to assist you in resolving the problem, you can file a claim report on their official website.
Way 4. Reach Your Seller When Package Was Stolen off Porch or Mailbox
Packages from Amazon, UPS, USPS, FedEx, and DHL were taken from the porch.What should I do now?If your package is stolen or lost from your apartment building’s porch, patio, deck, or other outside space, you should notify the seller as soon as possible, such as Amazon, eBay, BestBuy, Walmart, Newegg, or another online retailer.The staff will be delighted to assist you in tracking down your misplaced parcel.With the assistance of the employees, several clients were able to recover their misplaced packages.
- Your parcel was taken from your porch and you are wondering if your package will be covered by UPS, the US Postal Service, or Fed Ex.
- The package that was taken from my front porch is being investigated.
- If your box is stolen as a result of their blunders, they will either replace your ordered items or provide you with a complete refund to compensate you for your loss.
- As a result, you may be able to recover your shipment or minimize your loss.
Way 5. Report the Stolen Package Case to the Police and Postal Inspection Service
The most frequent and direct method of dealing with a stolen parcel is to call the police, which is the most common and direct method of dealing with a stolen package.Don’t forget to submit a complaint with the Postal Inspection Service if your box is misplaced after being delivered to your porch or doorway.Because searching down lost or missing parcels is the organization’s professional sector, they can be more professional than the police in some situations.With the combined efforts of law enforcement and the expert employees of the Postal Inspection Service, the likelihood of retrieving a lost, stolen, or misplaced parcel grows significantly over time.Keep in mind that if you do not make a report, there will be more people who become victims of package theft in the future.
- Those package snatchers would still go unpunished in the end.
- Your tiny deed will help to raise the likelihood of those dreadful parcel thieves being apprehended.
- What should you do if your package is taken from the porch of your home in France, Houston, or Austin.
- How can you track down a stolen BestBuy, Walmart, ASOS, Sephora, or other retailer package while it is in route or after it has been delivered?
- Try the top 5 methods listed below to locate your misplaced shipment as soon as possible.
- Package theft is a common occurrence.
- An insurance report is a report about insurance.
- According to Quotes.com, an estimated 23,000,000 Americans have had parcels stolen from their residences, including the back porch and garage area of their homes.
- In order to avoid being a victim of package theft, you need get familiar with some of the techniques that may be used to keep your box from being taken by those ″package pirates.″ Tip number one: Invest in surveillance cameras.
- Security camera systems not only assist you in preventing your package from being stolen from your porch or doorstep, but they may also assist you in protecting your house from intruders.
- Tip 2: Have your packages delivered to your place of employment.
- Require a signature on all delivery as a third-party precaution.
- Secure your front and back doors, as well as your garden and garage doors and other simple entry points, to deter package thieves.
- If you know of any efficient methods for locating the stolen parcel, please share them with us in the comments section below.
We’ll include your answer in this post as well!
Porch Pirates: 6 Steps to Take if Your Package Is Stolen
According to a survey commissioned by ValuePenguin, nearly four out of every ten customers has had a package stolen before it could be delivered to them.While the quantity of deliveries increases over the Christmas season, this data serves as a reminder to consumers that package theft is a widespread problem throughout the year, regardless of the season.If you’ve been unfortunate enough to have a parcel stolen from your front door, here’s what you should do to recover your package.
What to do if a package is stolen from your porch
If your mail has been stolen, you must follow these procedures in order to be paid or to get a substitute item.
Step 1: Track the package
First and foremost, if you have reason to believe your product has been stolen, you should look for tracking information in the email you received upon purchase.Typically, you will be provided with a tracking number, which you may use to keep track on the progress of your order throughout shipment.Sometimes all you need to do is click on this number or button, but other times you may need to copy the number and input it on the retailer’s or shipping company’s website, depending on the situation.For shipments to be delayed, especially during high shipping seasons such as the holidays, this is to be expected.The shipment status will inform you of the location where your package was last recorded as well as the date on which it was delivered to the shipping destination.
- If the item is indicated as having been delivered, go to step 2.
- Otherwise, proceed to step 3.
Step 2: Check if your neighbors saw it or held onto it for you
Check with your neighbors to see if the item has been delivered once you’ve verified that it has.It’s humiliating to lash out at a customer service agent only to realize that the sweet lady next door noticed your shipment and grabbed it to save it from being stolen or rained on while you were away.Even if they don’t have your package, it’s possible that your neighbors saw it earlier in the day and are unaware of it.
Step 3: Contact the seller or retailer
Immediately notify the vendor or shop that sold you the goods if it looks that your shipment has been stolen or misplaced.When it comes to dealing with stolen property, different merchants have different rules and procedures in place, but you are normally entitled to a refund or a replacement.Amazon’s ″A-to-Z Guarantee Protection″ provides coverage for the majority of stolen packages.Purchases that are labeled as ″fulfilled by Amazon″ are sometimes derived from retail partners known as ″Amazon Sellers,″ rather than from Amazon itself.(You should be aware of this at the time you place your purchase for the item).
- It is mandatory for you to contact the Amazon Seller in order to try to resolve the issue with them if this is the situation with your purchase, according to Amazon.
- You may make a claim with Amazon if you’ve waited more than two business days for a response or if the seller is being unhelpful.
- Amazon would most likely offer a refund in this case, as well.
- In many circumstances, stores will agree to send you a new item within a short period of time.
- However, if they refuse to accept responsibility and give a replacement, there are still certain actions you may take to obtain recompense.
Step 4: File a claim with the shipping company
Occasionally, stores may attempt to transfer responsibility to the shipping provider or will need you to make a complaint and wait a specific number of days before learning for definite whether your shipment will or will not be delivered.If you find yourself in this situation, you may wish to submit a claim with the shipping business as well, just to be safe.UPS, FedEx, the United States Postal Service, and DHL all have online claims processes that you may use to report your lost item, and you can also call them to report your missing item.
Step 5: Use the purchase protection features on your credit card
When you use a credit card to make a purchase, many issuers will provide purchase protection that will repay you if an item is stolen.This is true as long as the item was paid wholly with that credit card and the card issuer is contacted within a certain timeframe.Check the website of your credit card provider to see whether this coverage is available and to learn how to make a claim.Some credit card providers, however, do not provide coverage for high-value products (usually anything that is worth more than $500 to $1,000).Depending on the company, they may ask you to submit a police complaint before they can issue your refund.
- Finally, credit card purchase protection is sometimes referred to as ″secondary coverage,″ which indicates that it only kicks in after you’ve previously used main coverage, such as homeowner’s or renters insurance, to safeguard your purchases.
- This takes us to the sixth step.
Step 6: Claim high-value items with your homeowners insurance
The majority of homeowners and renters insurance plans include coverage for stolen shipments.Unfortunately, this is only beneficial for items that are more valuable than your deductible.Given that the majority of homes insurance deductibles range between $500 and $2,000, submitting a claim for the majority of stolen shipments will be a waste of time.However, even if the value of the lost item exceeds the deductible, you’ll need to consider the risk that your homes insurance provider would raise your rates as a result of your claim, not to mention the inconvenience of submitting the claim itself.
How to prevent package theft
When a package is stolen, it may be quite stressful, and the claims procedure can be much more unpleasant. If you wish to reduce the likelihood of losing shipments while you’re away from home, consider the following solutions for protecting your packages while you’re gone.
Schedule for in-person delivery
The most effective method of preventing mail theft is to personally accept your shipments.To do this, either notify your postal service business that you require a signature for delivery or arrange for your mail to be carried to a location where someone is constantly on hand.Consider asking a neighbor if they would be willing to accept delivery if you are frequently away from home.Alternatively, if it is acceptable to your business and your shipment is modest, you can choose your office as the delivery destination.
Use a lockbox service
When using a service such as Amazon Locker, you may have goods delivered to a lockbox, which will help to prevent mail from being stolen.In addition, several supermarket and convenience stores provide this sort of service, or you may have your box delivered to your local UPS or USPS center and pick it up when you get to that location.A combination-protected lockbox that stands on your doorstep and safeguards your parcels until you return home is an option if you prefer a shorter journey than driving to the post office.
Insure your packages
Whenever you purchase a high-value item online, such as a new iPhone or iPad, spend a few additional dollars for delivery insurance to protect your investment. Typically, you may accomplish this either directly with the seller or through the delivery company.
Install a security camera
There are various low-cost home security cameras that are simple to install around the perimeter of your property, including bullet cameras.Most of these cameras are compatible with your WiFi network and even have a smartphone app, allowing you to keep track of parcels left during the day.The sheer appearance of these cameras may be enough to deter would-be porch pirates, but even if it isn’t, you’ll still have proof to use as the basis for a police report if necessary.As an extra benefit, adding these cameras may entitle you to a reduction on your homes insurance.
What is the value of stolen packages, and what steps have been taken by consumers?
- In accordance with a survey commissioned by ValuePenguin, parcel theft has touched more than 40% of all Americans at some time during their lives. More than 5 out of 10 buyers reported having more than one package stolen in the previous 12 months, resulting in an average loss of $106 per home in that time period. When applied to the total number of households in the United States as determined by the Census Bureau, these averages show that porch piracy cost U.S. consumers more than $7.4 billion in the previous year: In the last year, there were an estimated 144 million victims
- the average loss per home was $106
- and the estimated value of stolen products in the last year was $7.4 billion.
Despite the high number of burglaries, over three-quarters of Americans said they have done nothing to safeguard their deliveries against theft in the future — including more than half of respondents over the age of 55 who said they have done nothing.It is estimated that nearly two out of every three robberies occurred directly outside the victims’ houses, thus it is wise to take several safeguards to deter bold would-be burglars.
Package Stolen? Here are 5 Ways to Recover Stolen Deliveries
A growing number of individuals will get parcels through the mail in 2020 compared to 2019.This is due to the expansion of e-commerce and increasing online buying due to the coronavirus pandemic.Unfortunately, the number of people who have had a parcel stolen has grown throughout this period as well, which is a sad development.Despite the fact that package theft is a particularly serious concern during the holiday season, it is critical that you remain attentive in securing your deliveries throughout the year.
What to do if a package is stolen
In this post, we’ll discuss techniques to assist avoid package theft, regardless of whether you live in an apartment or own your house. We’ll also go through some options for locating your shipment if it’s been stolen in the future. Let’s take a look at how to report a stolen item and what you may do in the future to avoid parcel theft in the first instance.
Before You Report Stolen Packages, Ask Around
We’ve all been in that situation.The day after you arrive home from work, you fully anticipate to discover that the box you bought is waiting for you on your front porch.After all, you had just gotten a delivery confirmation email a few hours before this conversation.When you arrive at your front door and discover that there is no package in sight, it’s natural to become anxious.Here are a few things you should consider before jumping to conclusions.
- These procedures might assist to guarantee that you do not begin the process of obtaining a refund when the shipment was not stolen in the first place.
Make Sure That It Was Delivered
If you obtain a delivery confirmation, it is possible that the delivery provider made a mistake in the delivery process. To be sure that your package was delivered at the time and place specified by the tracking service, you can contact the company immediately. It’s always conceivable that something went wrong, so it’s worth double-checking everything first.
Look Thoroughly and Check with Your Roommates or Family Members
Make a careful inspection of your porch or front step to see whether the parcel was delivered in an odd location.It is possible that delivery drivers will attempt to be courteous by placing boxes out of sight in order to assist secure your belongings against theft.It’s also conceivable that someone else in your home has already taken possession of the parcel and carried it inside.In case a family member or roommate failed to notify you that they had already taken your box in from the porch, check with others in the house.
Check with Your Neighbors
When delivery drivers are concerned that leaving a box at your front door is not secure, they may choose to leave your gift with one of your neighbors. Although it is rare for products to be delivered to the incorrect address, it is conceivable that a neighbor got the box without recognizing it.
Ask Your Neighborhood Watch
Please contact your local neighborhood watch to inquire whether there has been a recent string of package thefts or if anyone has noticed any suspicious characters around your home.If your community has a local neighborhood watch, please contact them to inquire whether there has been a string of package thefts recently or if anyone has noticed any suspicious characters around your home.They may be able to provide you with information that may assist you in recovering your stolen property.
Someone Stole Your Package? 5 Ways to Recover Stolen Deliveries
Let’s have a look at what you should do next once you’ve inquired about your bundle with a few people. In many cases, whether you believe a neighbor or someone else took your package, you can obtain a refund or an alternate delivery from the sender or delivery firm in question.
1. Contact the Sender
Following that, if you have determined that the parcel was delivered but was most likely stolen, the next step is to contact the sender.There are a plethora of shops out there that will be eager to collaborate with you in order to address this issue effectively.A few of them may even replace or refund your order on the spot, and they may even take on the obligation of negotiating with the shipping business on your behalf.Is there anything you can do if the box you’re looking for was shipped by someone other than the shop, such as a friend or a family member?It is necessary to contact the sender in this case to ensure that the right address was printed on the label of the package.
- Unfortunately, the only thing you can do if you believe your belongings have been taken is to submit a theft report with the police.
2. Report It to FedEx, UPS or USPS
Different shipping firms have different procedures for reporting a shipment that has been stolen.For FedEx, the procedure is quite straightforward.You may file a claim for a misplaced parcel online, which you can complete and submit.FedEx typically responds to this type of claim within five to seven business days, depending on the circumstances.If UPS delivered your box, you’d have to wait 24 hours after the scheduled delivery time before filing a missing parcel claim with the Postal Service.
- In order to receive a refund, you’ll need to contact the seller, since the reimbursement will be paid to them rather than to you.
- For packages that have gone missing because they were sent to a foreign location, it may be difficult to obtain replacements or refunds through UPS.
- If you have a lost parcel from the United States Postal Service, you must first fill out a Help Request form, which will be forwarded to your local Post Office, which will assist you in locating your item.
- It is necessary to submit a Missing Mail Search Request with the tracking number, proof of insurance, and proof of the item’s worth if you do not get your package within seven days of it being lost or misdirected.
- If you have any evidence that the shipment was truly stolen, you should provide it with your application.
3. Report the package theft to Amazon
Despite the fact that this point technically belongs under the ″contact the sender″ section, Amazon is by far the largest online store in the world, and so deserves to be discussed separately.Fortunately, Amazon makes obtaining a reimbursement for misplaced items a simple process.You can contact Amazon once 36 hours have gone since the shipment was meant to have arrived if the tracking software indicates that it arrived but you did not physically get it, or if the box was stolen from your home.Even if the merchandise was shipped by a third-party vendor, Amazon would still handle the refund.
4. File a Police Report for the Stolen Package
Consider the following procedure for notifying the authorities of a missing parcel.Unfortunately, if there are no witnesses and you do not have a doorbell camera or an outside security camera, the police are unlikely to be able to do much to help you in this situation.If there have been recent package thefts in your neighborhood, there is a greater possibility that the authorities will examine the problem.If you want to file an insurance claim in connection with the missing delivery, a police report may be useful paperwork to have on hand.
5. Talk to Your Credit Card Company
If none of the previous strategies have worked, you can call your credit card provider to see if there are any safeguards in your card agreement that you can take advantage of. This implies that your credit card company may be able to issue you a refund even if the vendor or delivery company refuses to.
Don’t Fall Prey to Porch Pirates Again: How to Help Prevent Package Theft
Once you’ve been burnt by a porch pirate, the last thing you want to do is go through the ordeal all over again.Let’s have a look at some of the methods you may use to keep your packages from being stolen in the future.What can you do to avoid parcel theft?Whether you rent or own a home, practically everyone has had their packages stolen at some time in their lives.After looking forward to getting something, it might be disheartening to discover that it has not come as expected.
- We’ve created a list of recommendations that will assist you prevent package theft, whether you rent or own your home.
- Register for free pickup and delivery of items at the USPS shop
- Rent a package locker or parcel locker.
- UPS provides rental mailboxes at UPS Stores that are available to customers of any carrier.
- Install surveillance cameras on your property’s outside.
- If you have the choice, schedule delivery for a time when you are certain you will be home.
- Insist on receiving a signature upon delivery.
- Purchase a P.O. Box from your local United States Postal Service location.
- Install a video doorbell camera on your doorbell.
- Have the package delivered to your place of employment.
- Select Amazon Hub Locker pickup as your delivery option.
- Package insurance should be purchased. This enables you to trace your shipment, making it easier to intercept it when it arrives at your apartment or residence.
- An electronic smart lock may be used to enable a trustworthy delivery person access your house.
- Drop off and pick up UPS shipments at your neighborhood CVS.
- Pick up your FedEx packages from Walgreens
- Request package drop off in your fenced-in backyard or garage
- and more.
- Check with your neighbors to see if they will be willing to keep or pick up a box for you while you are away from home, especially if you offer to do the same for them.
- Register for UPS My Choice to be able to schedule deliveries.
Have Your Packages Delivered to a More Secure Location
Installing a package lockbox near your mailbox, or even a more discreet non-locking box further away from the street, may be an option for your situation.In the event that you pick this option, you will need to speak with the delivery provider to verify that the shipment is delivered to the correct location.If you find that the majority of the deliveries you receive are from Amazon, you might want to consider purchasing an Amazon locker.Also, several convenience stores and supermarket stores provide a lockbox delivery service for their customers.
Get a Doorbell Camera to catch Porch Pirates
Installing a package lockbox near your mailbox, or even a more discreet non-locking box further away from the street, may be an option to investigate.To guarantee that the shipment is delivered to the correct location, you should speak with the delivery provider as soon as possible after placing your order.Getting an Amazon locker may be a good idea if the majority of the packages you’re receiving come from Amazon.Also, some convenience stores and supermarket stores provide a lockbox delivery service for a small additional fee.
Advertise Your Home Security System on Your Windows and In Your Yard
Installing a yard sign and some window stickers to advertise your home security system isn’t going to hurt. Thieves who are not ready to take the risk of being caught on video or setting off a motion detector alert may be deterred as a result.
How to prevent package theft in a home you own?
If you own your house, you may be able to take advantage of permanent relocation alternatives. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Invest in an anti-theft mailbox or a mailbox with a delivery slot connected to make your mailbox more secure.
- Install a parcel delivery box or a package drop-off box on your front porch to receive packages. Many choices are now available that are both aesthetically pleasing and useful.
- For increased protection, choose a box that can be bolted or attached to your porch or wall with screws.
- Hedgerows or plants can be added. Remember to ask that your gift be hidden behind this shrubbery by the delivery person.
- Smart locks can be used in conjunction with security cameras if you have a porch or garage that is distinct from your home, or if you have confidence in your delivery person.
- Indoor cameras are also useful in this situation since they allow you to monitor every step of the delivery procedure.
- Track your package’s progress and open your door when it comes, allowing the delivery person to drop it off inside.
How to prevent package theft in an apartment?
Due to the fact that many flats do not have porches, you will have to come up with less permanent alternatives for concealing goods.
- Package drops should be coordinated with your lease or management office.
- Ask if you may have a look at the package drop-off location while you’re taking a tour of the flat. If so, is it a public space that anybody may enter? Is there a locker room? If you get a large number of packages, it may be good to include this on your ″must-have″ list while searching for a new rental property.
- Inquire with your apartment complex if you may send packages to the complex’s office rather than to your actual unit.
- Blue by ADT provides a suite of home security choices that are suitable for apartment living, whether you choose a doorbell or an exterior camera to keep a watch on your property.
Install Outdoor Security Cameras
As previously said, outside cameras may be used to dissuade burglars as well as capture them in the process of stealing. A thief is far less likely to steal your item if they are aware that you will have video footage of them performing the crime if you install conspicuous outside security cameras in strategic locations.
ADT is one of the leading home security providers in the US.
Package theft is on the rise, but that doesn’t mean you have to sit back and hope you don’t become a victim.You may take a variety of steps to assist avoid package theft, which is especially important during the Christmas season.For example, you may sign up for delivery notifications, which will tell you of the current status of your product as well as when it will be delivered.Additionally, installing a security system will allow you to capture criminals in the act if they are caught.ADT is one of the most well-known and respected security companies in the world.
- Please get in touch with us for a free quote.
- We have home security systems, doorbell cameras, and outdoor security cameras that can assist you in protecting yourself against parcel theft right now!
What to Do If Your Amazon Package Is Stolen
Every editorial product is chosen on its own merits, while we may be compensated or earn an affiliate commission if you purchase something after clicking on one of our affiliate links. As of the time of writing, the ratings and pricing are correct, and all goods are in stock.
Porch pirates are swiping Amazon packages left and right, and you might be the next victim. Take these steps if your Amazon package is stolen or lost.
Amazon has made buying more convenient than ever, yet a misplaced or stolen Amazon box may be a major hassle for the recipient.Furthermore, as the popularity of online shopping grows, so does the possibility of being a victim of package theft.According to a Value Penguin poll, nearly one in every five Americans reported having their goods stolen last year.Steve Weisman, a professor of white-collar crime at Bentley University and author of The Truth About Avoiding Scams, says the number of victims of porch pirates has increased significantly during the pandemic.″As could be expected, with more people shopping online during the pandemic, the number of victims of porch pirates has increased significantly during this time.″ Find out all you need to know about tracking down a misplaced parcel or making a claim with Amazon to hopefully get your money back if you suspect your shipment has been stolen or lost in the mail.
- In addition, regular online consumers should be aware of what to do if a product is damaged, how to receive a refund on anything, what a brushing scam is, and what happens to undeliverable mail that does not have an address to return it to.
How to track down a missing Amazon package that’s listed as “delivered”
- According to Weisman, you may discover extra information on Amazon under ″Your Orders″ that will assist you in tracking down a stolen or missing shipment that seems to have been delivered on your Amazon account. He proposes that you take the following actions: Make sure the shipping address is correct. It’s possible that the shipment was delivered to a different address associated with your Amazon account.
- Look for a message that a delivery attempt has been made. If you requested that a signature be obtained upon delivery and no one was present, it is possible that the product was moved to a nearby location for pickup.
- Look for a photograph of the package being delivered. Sometimes Amazon delivery drivers would place the box in a difficult-to-find position
- this is known as ″hidden delivery.″
If you are still unable to locate it, it is time to file a missing parcel complaint with Amazon. For further instructions, scroll down to the section labeled ″How to report a missing shipment from a third-party seller on Amazon″ towards the bottom of this page.
How to find missing packages that aren’t trackable
- Amazon deliveries without a tracking number are extremely unusual, although they can be found. The following are some steps you may take if your Amazon delivery has gone missing and there is no tracking number for it. Inquire with your neighbors to see whether they received the lost box by mistake or if they accepted it on your behalf.
- If the parcel was delivered by the United States Postal Service, you should contact your local post office for assistance. Weisman points out that USPS delivery vans are equipped with GPS, which might reveal more information on the delivery.
- Verify whether or not the package was taken by checking the security cameras surrounding your property, if you have them installed.
In case you’re wondering, this is what happens to undeliverable mail when it’s not delivered.
How to report a missing package from a third-party seller on Amazon
- Rd.com If your Amazon delivery hasn’t arrived within 48 hours, you should make a claim with Amazon to receive a reimbursement for your inconvenience. However, according to Weisman, you must first contact the third-party vendor directly in order to report the problem. Customer service representatives at Amazon insist that consumers contact the vendor before registering a claim on the website. You can report missing shipments from an online third-party vendor in the following ways: Create an account on Amazon a