A small PO Box is $28-$150 for the same time period. The PO Box price for a medium-size box is $42-$250; large is $62-$400; and an extra large PO Box costs between $109-$625 for six months. What is a PO Box?
The average cost of a post office box is between $19 and $75 per rental period, according to Bankrate. The price that you’ll pay for your rental depends on a few different factors.
The cost of a PO box can vary greatly depending on your location. For example, renting an extra small box for three months can be as little as $10 in some areas and as much as $67 in other areas. You can get a rough idea of prices from the data below, which shows the average prices for PO boxes in all ZIP codes. Average PO Box Prices
How much does it cost to rent a post office box?
How much does a USPS PO box cost? On average, the cost to rent a PO box is going to cost anywhere from $2 for a small box in a rural area to as much as $35 per month for the largest box in a metropolitan area such as New York City. The costs will really depend on what size you need and where you live.
How much does a USPS PO Box cost?
“ PO Box ” (CC BY-SA 2.0) by Martin Cathrae How much does a USPS PO box cost? On average, the cost to rent a PO box is going to cost anywhere from $2 for a small box in a rural area to as much as $35 per month for the largest box in a metropolitan area such as New York City.
What size post office box do I Need?
Measuring 11 inches by 11 inches, the large PO boxes have enough room for small parcels and plenty of letters. The largest post office box option will measure around 12 by 22.5 inches. It will be a good option if you expect to receive parcels or a large amount of mail.
How to lease a post office box in Australia?
Go to the Australia Post PO Box website, click Apply online with MyPost, enter your details to sign up for MyPost. Step 2: Select your PO Box location. Scroll down and select lease, then enter your address, suburb or post code to find a convenient PO Box location for you. Then select your PO Box size and number to finalise your lease.
What is needed for a PO Box?
– Valid driver’s license or state ID card. – Military, government, university, or recognized corporate ID. – Passport, alien registration card, or certificate of naturalization. – Current lease, mortgage, or deed of trust. – Voter or vehicle registration card. – Home or vehicle insurance policy.
How to open a PO Box?
The post office is currently located at 350 E. Six Forks Rd. near the Interstate 440/Wake Forest Road interchange. It will move about a mile away to 2415 Atlantic Ave.
How to set up a PO Box?
How Much is a PO Box?
- ″What exactly is a Post Office (PO) Box?″ you might wonder. Alternatively, ″how can I obtain a PO Box?″ Alternatively, you may have already made up your decision and are only inquiring as to ″how much do they cost?″ This page contains all of the information you need to know about USPS PO Boxes. What is a PO Box? What is the cost of a PO Box? Why should I obtain a PO Box?
- What is the procedure for obtaining a PO Box?
- What exactly are Premium Postal Boxes Services?
- Is it possible to acquire a PO Box without having to pay for it?
- Is there a procedure regarding refunds for PO Boxes at the post office?
Let’s get this party started! There’s a lot to talk about.
Don’t want to know all of the specifics?These are the price ranges for USPS PO Boxes that you may expect.The following tables have text-align set to ″left,″ padding set to ″10px 20px,″ and borders set to ″1px solidDDD.″ The color of the table top is 333; the background color is f7f7f7; and the font is Arial.The table th and the table td are text-aligned to the left; the padding is 10px 20px; the border is 1px solidddd; the marker is color:f5333f; and the heading is text-align: left.
|PO Box Size||3-Month Period||6-Month Period|
|Extra Small (3” x 5.5”)||$13-$44||$21-$75|
|Small (5” x 5.5”)||$17-$87||$28-$150|
|Medium (5.5” x 11”)||$26-$144||$42-$250|
|Large (11” x 11”)||$37-$230||$62-$400|
|Extra Large (12” x 22.5”)||$64-$360||$109-$625|
What is a PO Box?
Post offices and post office boxes (also known as PO Boxes) are an alternative if you wish to send personal or business mail in a more secure manner and keep your home address private.In particular, they are the most practical alternative for independent contractors, city dwellers, and frequent travelers, to mention a few groups.A PO Box, also known as a Postal Box, is a lockable mailbox that can only be entered with a key or a code, depending on the precise location of the post office where it is located.In most cases, the box is located in the post office lobby and is used to collect mail that you don’t want sent to your house.
How much is a PO Box?
- What is the source of such vast pricing variations? There are a variety of elements that influence the pricing of a USPS PO Box, including the following: location
- payment term
- additional costs
- and other factors.
The price of your post office box is heavily influenced by the location of the box.Depending on whether your location is labeled ″competitive″ or ″market dominating,″ different post offices have varying pricing codes.″Competitive post offices″ are permitted to charge greater fees in return for providing extra services — such as electronic notice of the receipt of mail, signature on file, and extended hours of operation — than traditional post offices.
- In order to determine the cost of a PO Box, the next item to consider is the size that you require. PO Boxes are normally available in five different sizes, ranging from extremely small to extra large, depending on the post office where you go. The majority of post office boxes are 14.75″ deep. Extra-small post office boxes (3″ x 5.5″) are available. These little mailboxes have a capacity of 10-15 letters or two rolled-up magazines each.
- Small Postal Service Boxes (5″ x 5.5″)
- Petite post office boxes may accommodate up to 15 mail and 5 rolled magazines.
- Medium Postal Boxes (5.5″ x 11″) are available.
- These mailboxes are ideal for storing big envelopes and periodicals that need to be piled horizontally.
- PO Boxes with a large footprint (11″ x 11″)
- The enormous PO Box, which is twice as tall as the regular one, is so spacious that you can place two shoe boxes inside and still have enough for 10-15 mail.
- Extra-large post office boxes (12″ x 22.5″) are available. The biggest PO Box that is currently available can accommodate numerous Flat Rate Boxes and shipments.
When determining the appropriate size box for your needs, take into consideration the volume of mail you will get as well as the regularity with which you will visit the post office to pick up your mail.Interested in learning more about what occurs when there is a mail overflow situation?The following is how the United States Postal Service responds to that question: In an overflow circumstance, a customer’s PO Box is overflowing with mail on 12 out of every 20 consecutive working days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and national holidays), the box is overflowing with mail.Customers whose mailboxes are overflowing must employ caller service, upgrade to a larger box, or use one or more extra mailboxes to which mail will be sent.
The length of time it takes to pay the rental price is another crucial consideration when attempting to figure how much it will cost.The post office may allow you to rent and pay for your mailbox in 3-month or 6-month increments, depending on the service you pick.Some companies also offer payment terms of 12 months.In general, paying for a period of 6-12 months at a time results in the best value.There are certain establishments that even have a ″baker’s dozen″ special going on.
Have you ever purchased 12 bagels and received an additional one for free?Reserve your PO Box for a period of 12 months, and certain locations will include the 13th month at no additional charge.
You’ll also need to figure in a few of extra costs to your final pricing.In market-dominant locations, you’ll be required to put down a $4 deposit on each of your first two keys (whereas keys are provided free of charge in competitive areas).Any extra keys above and beyond that will be charged at the rate of $8 per key.Have you misplaced your keys or forgotten your code?It will cost you $23 to replace the lock in this situation.
This table should assist you in comparing all of the elements that influence the pricing of a PO box.
|PO Box Size||3-Month “Competitive” Location||6-Month “Competitive” Location||3-Month “Market Dominant” Location||6-Month “Market Dominant” Location|
|Extra Small (3” x 5.5”)||$13-$44||$21-$75||$13-$34||$21-$57|
|Small (5” x 5.5”)||$17-$87||$28-$150||$17-$50||$28-$84|
|Medium (5.5” x 11”)||$26-$144||$42-$250||$26-$87||$42-$145|
|Large (11” x 11”)||$37-$230||$62-$400||$37-$159||$62-265|
|Extra Large (12” x 22.5”)||$64-$360||$109-$625||$64-$249||$109-$416|
Why get a PO Box?
Security Do you have concerns regarding the security of your mail?Alternatively, you may choose to keep your home business mail distinct from your personal mail.A post office box is the ideal answer.Whether it’s the Amazon parcels that never arrived or the dog that lives next door that has a thing for envelopes, renting a box from the post office is a safe and secure way to keep your mail safe.Privacy According to your profession, you may wish to avoid disclosing your home address to potential clients.
As a professional blogger, receiving samples is essential, but it is important that no one else has access to your mailing address and other personal information.With a PO Box, you can secure both the privacy of your mail and the protection of your personal information.Accessibility Because your PO Box will most likely be located in the lobby of the post office, you’ll be able to retrieve your mail whenever the post office lobby is open during business hours.Many sites provide access to the lobby at all hours of the day or during extended hours, making it even more convenient to check your mail.Delivery Timeframes One of the most significant benefits of having a PO Box is that you will often receive your mail more quickly than you would if you had a residential address.
Because your mailbox will be located just inside the post office lobby, you will avoid having to send your mail through the USPS mail van.
How do I get a PO Box?
Fortunately, signing up is simple, and you can submit your application either at your local post office or online. For both, the procedure is quite basic, although the phases are slightly distinct from one another. In either case, keep in mind that there can only be one primary key holder at a time — but you can grant access to others if needed.
Fill out the form on the USPS PO Boxes website using your location or zip code to find a USPS PO Box near you.Then, using the map, find the post office that is the most convenient for you.Selecting it will bring up a list of the sizes they have available as well as information on their hours and driving instructions.Select the size of the box you’re interested in, and you’ll be given the option of reserving the box or joining the waiting list.If the box you desire is still available, you can pick between three different payment options: 3-month, 6-month, or 12-month.
Adding your name to a waiting list will ensure that you get the size you desire at your selected location if it is not currently available.NOTE: If you want to be placed on a waiting list for the size box you like, a notification will be sent to you via email or phone when the size box becomes available at your specified post office.You will have two days to reserve the box before it is offered to the next person on the waiting list.) The rest is a piece of cake!Simply complete the online application (PS Form 1093), provide your contact and billing information, and click the ″Submit″ button to begin the process.To authenticate your identity and obtain your keys from the post office, you’ll have 30 days to do so.
Print your paperwork, gather two forms of valid identification from the United States, and head down to the post office where you reserved your PO Box before the deadline passes.
The in-person application process is likewise straightforward.You will still need to complete the online application (PS Form 1093), which you can either pick up at your local post office or print off from your home computer.Take two kinds of identification (including a photo ID) with you when you go to the post office to ensure that they recognize you as the person you claim to be.Even while the post office where you bring in your application does not have to be the same as the one that holds your PO Box, it does have to provide window service, so double-check before leaving the house.
What are Premium PO Box Services?
Do you want to make your life even more convenient?Free premium services are available from the United States Postal Service at some of their locations (particularly in competitive regions), and it’s absolutely worth inquiring about them.These premium services, which include anything from handling large shipments to receiving smartphone notifications when you have mail to providing extended lobby hours, are incredibly convenient and beneficial.Your PO Box should have a physical street address.In the case of online shoppers or those who get a lot of large goods, you can use the street address of the post office where you have a PO Box instead of your home address as your postal address.
For example, if your post office is located at 700 Smith Avenue and your PO Box is number 27, the address for your PO Box would be 700 Smith Avenue27.You’ll be able to receive mail and packages from the majority of carriers, including FedEx and UPS, if you do it this way.Please read the customer agreement carefully before submitting your information, since there are certain regulations and limitations to this offer.Keep a copy of the signature on file.The lineups at the post office are the worst.
The majority of the time, if you get specified forms of mail, such as insured packages that require your signature, you’ll be required to go to the counter and sign them in.With USPS PO Box premium services, you may preserve a record of your signature and eliminate the inconvenience of mailing it (and the lines).Key deposit has been waived.The USPS often requires a deposit for the first two keys to your box, which is around $50.Are you looking to save a few dollars?
- Set up your box in a post office that provides a higher level of service (they waive this fee).
- Keep in mind that you’ll still be responsible for the $8 price if you need to obtain additional keys.
- Hours have been extended.
- Working late and not able to make it to the post office during regular lobby hours?
- No problem.
- Not to be concerned.
- Because of its premium services, some post offices extend their opening hours to allow you to reach the post office lobby and pick up your mail.
What are the disadvantages of getting a PO Box?
Even with all of its benefits, obtaining a PO Box does have some disadvantages to consider.Not every correspondence is accepted.It is possible that your local post office does not provide premium services, in which case you will not be able to receive packages or mail from any carriers other than the United States Postal Service (USPS).It is the only organization that is authorized to deliver mail to your PO Box.In order for those Amazon deliveries or the gift basket from your great aunt to arrive at your home, they will need to be delivered there.
You will be required to pay a rental charge.As you are aware, post office boxes are not provided for free.They must be paid for and renewed at predetermined intervals, as well as on an annual basis.Depending on your location, size, and rental duration, you may find yourself spending more money on your postal service than you would want.There is a limited number of spaces available.
If there isn’t a Post Office Box accessible near you, you may have to drive to a different location to pick up your correspondence.This isn’t exactly optimal.Also possible is that the size box you want isn’t available at your local post office, necessitating yet another trip to the post office to get your mail.
Does the post office have a PO Box refund policy?
- You worked out how to get a post office box near you and reserved the optimum size for six months — only to be transferred for work a few months after you made the decision.
- You have a PO Box, what do you do with it?
- There’s good news!
- It’s possible that you’ll be entitled for a refund.
- The USPS has two refund rules, one for active PO boxes and another for dormant PO boxes, which must be followed in order to get a refund.
- I’m curious to know which one it is.
- If you have already picked up your keys, your box is operational.
How to request a refund
- For those who wish to receive a refund for their costs, they can submit a refund request either online or in person at the post office where their box is situated.
- Both approaches are quite straightforward in their execution.
- In order to submit your request online, you must first log into your USPS account and then click the ″Manage Your Account″ section.
- From there, you may terminate your account and seek a reimbursement.
- When requesting a refund in person, all you have to do is go to the post office where your PO Box is located and ask for a refund at a service window.
- Keep in mind to bring your key(s) with you as well!
How to request a refund — inactive PO boxes
Fortunately, obtaining a refund for a PO Box for which you did not pick up the keys is a straightforward process. The post office should repay you in full if you have not used your account for 30 days. If you cancel within 30 days, you will still receive a full refund, but you will be required to submit a refund request first.
How to request a refund — active PO boxes
Making a claim for reimbursement for a PO Box for which you did not pick up the keys is a straightforward process. Following 30 days of inactivity, you should get a complete reimbursement from the post office. The refund is still fully valid if you cancel within 30 days, but you must first submit a cancellation request.
- If you cancel your PO Box within the first three months of your six-month rental period, you will receive a 50 percent return. Once you reach the beginning of the fourth month, you will not be able to receive a refund
- 12-month rental: If you shut your PO Box during the first three months, you will receive a 75 percent refund
- if you close it within the first six months, you will receive a 50 percent refund
- and if you close it within the first nine months, you will receive a 25 percent refund. Upon the beginning of the tenth month, you will no longer be entitled for any type of return
As soon as you’ve determined how much a PO Box costs and how simple it is to obtain one, you can proceed to the post office and protect your mail. Don’t forget to inquire about their premium services! Are you planning to relocate soon? Check out our Epic Moving Checklist for tips on how to become and remain organized throughout your move.
How Much Does a PO Box Cost?
- The most recent update was made on August 8, 2018.
- Unlocked post office boxes (also known as PO boxes) are boxes that are kept in your local post office and are accessible only by the post office’s staff.
- Everyone else who has access to the box is restricted to you and the postal service personnel who deliver your mail to the box.
- If you do not have a mailbox or require an additional mailbox for business purposes, a post office box (PO box) is a convenient method to receive your mail.
- PO boxes are also excellent for maintaining your privacy because they do not utilize your home address.
- This may vary depending on your geographic area as well as the size of the PO box you want to rent.
How much does a USPS PO box cost?
- On average, the cost of renting a post office box will range from $2 per month for a tiny box in a rural region to as much as $35 per month for the largest box in a major city such as New York City, depending on its size.
- The expenses will be determined mostly by the size you require and the location in which you reside.
- This USPS.gov page can provide you with the specific statistics for what your local post office is charging in order to receive an accurate pricing for what your local post office is charging.
- When you purchase many months in advance, the price of these items might decrease.
- We obtained quotations from PO boxes all around the United States, and we’ve included the prices we received from the official website in the following table.
|Geographical Location||Price Quoted (per month)|
|Fairbanks, AK||S – $19 M – $34 L – $54|
|Las Vegas, NV||XS – $13 S – $19 M – $33 L – $54|
|Los Angeles, CA||XS – $10 S – $15 M – $27 L – $43|
|Nampa, ID||XS – $9 S – $12 M – $22 L – $36|
|Philadelphia, PA||XS – $10 S – $15 M – $27 L – $43 XL – $65|
|Pittsburgh, PA||XS – $9 S – $11 M – $18 L – $34|
|Raleigh, NC||XS – $8 S – $12 M – $22 L – $36 XL – $57|
|Rogers, AR||XS – $6 S – $7 M – $16 L – $25 XL – $39|
|San Diego, CA||XS – $6 S – $9 M – $16 L – $26|
|San Francisco, CA||XS – $10 S – $15 M – $27 L – $43|
|Sarasota, FL||XS – $7 S – $10 M – $19 L – $30 XL – $47|
|Seattle, WA||XS – $13 S – $19 M – $34|
|Whittier, CA||XS – $7 S – $11 M – $19 L – $30 XL – $47|
USPS PO Box sizes
- Extra-small boxes, for example, are 3 x 5.5 x 14.75 inches in size and may accommodate 10 to 15 envelopes.
- A compact box with dimensions of 5 x 5.5 x 14.75 inches may hold up to 20 envelopes or five magazines.
- Medium-sized boxes may hold up to 30 to 40 envelopes and measure 11 x 5.5 x 14.75 inches.
- They are available in various sizes.
- A huge box, which measures 11 x 11 x 14.75 inches, can hold approximately two and a half shoe boxes.
- The largest box, referred to as an extra large box, can hold five or more shoe boxes and measures 22.5 x 12 x 14.75 inches in dimensions.
What are the extra costs?
One key will be provided by the post office. The cost of each extra key varies between $3 and $6 depending on the type of key you desire. The cost will be determined by the location of your post office. If you misplace the key to your PO box, you will be charged a fee to re-key the box. A lock replacement cost of $20 as well as a late payment fee of $20 may be assessed.
Tips to know:
- An application for a PO box can be submitted either online or in person.
- Regardless of the path you choose, you will be required to present two pieces of acceptable identification, with at least one of them bearing your image.
- Depending on the post office, some may only provide three or four of the sizes listed above.
- Others may offer all six sizes.
- Because they are all different, it is wise to phone ahead of time to find out what they have available.
- In order to get a PO box from a local post office, they will require two kinds of acceptable identification.
- Identity documents such as your driver’s license, passport, insurance cards, voter registration card, college identification card, and others are acceptable.
- It is possible that certain post offices will not have PO boxes accessible.
- In order to find out what they have available, it is essential to phone ahead of time or even go in person.
- If they do not have anything available, you may either go to a different post office or place your name on a waiting list for anything to become available later.
- There are particular norms and standards that apply when it comes to refunds, and the post office is capable of providing them.
- As an example, while there are no refunds available on 3-month leases, you may get up to 75% of your money back if you cancel during the first three months of a 12-month lease.
Although possessing a post office box has several advantages, it also has a number of drawbacks.Several papers and formal processes, for example, will not accept a PO box as a genuine address; for example, The use of a PO box might also be cumbersome due to the fact that you will be required to drive to the post office every day.There are a number of advantages to doing so, though.For starters, a PO box serves as a permanent mailing address.This implies that if you or your company relocates, you won’t have to contact everyone to inform them of the new location.Second, a PO box is far more secure than a regular mailbox since you are the only person outside the post office who has access to the key.
- Anyone who happens to walk by your home and see your personal mailbox has the ability to open it.
- Third, you will be able to pick up your mail first thing in the morning rather than having it delivered to your home first thing in the morning.
- If you are looking forward to receiving a certain item of mail, you will be able to receive it more quickly.
- Finally, many post offices now offer to scan the exterior of your mail so that you may check online whether you need to go pick it up or not.
- This is a great convenience.
- The amount of mail that may be received by a PO box is limited.
A legitimate street address is required for delivery by companies such as UPS, which will not deliver to a post office box.
How can I save money?
- The longer you have your box on rent, the more money you will be able to save over time.
- Contracts for three, six, or twelve months are usually required by the post office when dealing with them.
- If you have the option of driving a long distance, consider using post offices in less crowded locations.
- These are often the post offices that are able to provide the most competitive prices.
- Other local establishments, such as the UPS store and mom and pop shops, should be considered as well.
- It’s possible that these establishments will provide greater deals than the post office.
- The following is a disclaimer about advertising: It is possible that this content contains referral links.
- For additional information, please refer to our disclosure policy.
Average Reported Cost:$54.75
PO Boxes & Private Bags
- 1 Collections may take place across a variety of time intervals.
- For most collections, the standard term is 30 days.
- 2 Please double-check the access hours for your specific PO Box location, as they sometimes vary.
- 3 Fees and costs may apply to parcels delivered to PO Box services by carriers other than Australia Post and StarTrack.
- Please consult your carrier for details.
- Carriers may elect to pass on these costs to their customers.
- 4 This service cannot be utilized for third-party products that need picture identification and/or personal signature of the recipient, or for things that are delivered outside of regular Post Office business hours.
- There are restrictions on both size and weight.
- a maximum of 50 third-party articles per PO Box billing year is permitted Once the specified allowance of 50 third-party articles has been met, an extra price of $3 will be charged for each subsequent third-party item received within the PO Box billing year.
- 5 PO Box Plus is only accessible at Post Offices that participate in the program.
- The PO Box Plus service is intended just for personal, non-commercial use.
- 6 It costs $24 a year for PO Box Plus, which is pro-rated and invoiced at a rate of $2 per month depending on when you join up for the service.
7 Pricing for high-demand CBD sites or PO Box locations that are hard to come by.Australia Post has established that this policy applies to PO Box services in Canberra, Hobart and Darwin GPOs, as well as specific Post Offices around the country.People who live on houseboats, watercraft, or on private roads, such as those in a caravan park, gated community, retirement village, or defence force barracks, are not included in this definition.The service is only accessible to clients whose residential or business address does not get delivery from Australia Post, and each non-delivery address is eligible for one reduced cost PO Box or lockable bag at the local Post Office.(Please keep in mind that evaluation may take up to seven days.) Depending on the conditions of the delivery, customers may be charged the entire fee.9 Mail redirection from your street address to your new PO Box is provided free of charge for new leases for a period of six months (not from one PO Box to another PO Box).
- When you go to pick up your new PO Box keys, be sure to have your mail redirection program with you.
- 10 The delivery of packages through red doors is subject to size and availability limits.
- Whether you need a PO BoxTM for business or personal reasons, the United States Postal Service® (USPS®) provides a variety of sizes to store your mail and parcels safely at a Post OfficeTM location near you.
- Many locations have access to PO Boxes 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and if an item is too large to fit in your box, we’ll hold it for you.
- You may also be able to take advantage of complimentary Premium PO Box Services, such as smartphone alerts that notify you when you receive new mail.
- Choose Your Postal Service Box Dimensions At every Post Office location, you can look for a new post office box.
- Use your current USPS.com account or create a new one to make your reservation.
- Attempt to locate a new post office box The address or ZIP CodeTM that you supplied was not recognized.
- Make sure you input a street address, a city address, and a state address, or a five-digit US ZIP CodeTM.
- Do you already have a post office box?
- Save time by making a payment for the PO Box you are in charge of through the internet.
- Maintain control of your PO Box.
- Once you’ve reserved a PO Box at the Post Office, you may link it to your USPS.com account and manage it from anywhere in the world with ease.
- Link You may be certain that your packages are secure at the Post Office and not left on your doorstep unattended.
Maintain the secrecy of your home address and the confidentiality of crucial papers to ensure your safety.Get your mail whenever it’s convenient for you.Some sites offer 24-hour access, while others offer longer hours.Step 1: Use the search box located under ″Reserve a New PO Box″ to look for Post Office locations in your neighborhood.Step 2: Select a Post Office location and make your preferences regarding the size of your PO Box and the length of time you wish to pay.Step 3: To reserve your PO Box, fill out the form with your contact and billing details.
- Step 1: Go to ″Manage Account″ and login in with your USPS.com credentials to complete the process.
- Step 2: On the ″Manage Your Account″ tab, locate your PO Box and click on ″Setup Auto-Renew″ to have it automatically renew.
- Changing your payment term is optional, however you should consider enrolling on Automatic Renewal.
- Step 1: Click on the ″Link″ button above and sign in using your USPS.com account credentials.
- Fill out the form by entering your PO Box number, ZIP CodeTM, and last name or company name.
- Step 3: Double-check your PO Box information and submit it.
You may now manage your PO Box from the comfort of your own home.Size 1: XS 3″ x 5.5″ Size 2: S 5″ x 5.5″ Size 3: M 5.5″ x 11″ Size 1: XS 3″ x 5.5″ Size 2: S 5″ x 5.5″ Sizes 4 and 5 are 11″ x 11″ and 12″ x 22.5″, respectively.
How Much Does a Post Office Box Cost?
- When I first started my business years ago, I believed that getting a Post Office box was the most prudent business decision I could make.
- I’m sorry, but I’m stumped.
- It’s like business cards in that it’s simply one of those things (at least for me, I use the PO Box!).
- Since then, I’ve discovered that using a Post Office Box is a terrific method to conceal your address and add an extra degree of security to your identity.
- For example, the vast majority of mails are not secure.
- I’m sure yours is.
- To steal my mail, someone only has to open it, remove all of the juicy credit card pre-approvals, and then quietly walk away from the scene.
- My mailbox is not protected by any means.
- There are just a few other mailboxes that are content to stand about and do nothing all day.
- Oh, and the burglar has the ability to take from those crates as well.
- Because parcels are delivered to our house, which is located so far back in the woods that kids don’t even bother coming for free candy on Halloween, there is nothing useful to take from our mailbox.
Plus, we have cameras in case you have any crazy ideas while you’re in the building.I am not concerned about burglars taking anything from our mailbox, but if you are, a PO Box can provide an additional degree of security at a very low cost.
Why do I need a PO Box?
- If you are concerned about the security of your mail, a PO Box is an excellent method to add an extra layer of protection to your life.
- It’s similar to a credit freeze in that it gives 100 percent security in exchange for a small amount of inconvenience.
- When you place a credit freeze on your report, you must unfreeze it before you can apply for a credit card.
- You will never have to be concerned about your report being utilized without your knowledge because of this.
- Boxes are a little layer of protection that ensures you never have to be concerned about someone taking your mail again.
- The fact that you must visit the Post Office to pick up your mail is a minor annoyance, but if you choose your recipients carefully, it is not a major bother at all.
How much does a PO Box Cost?
It is determined by three factors:
- The proportions
- The renting period (three, six, and twelve months)
- Your geographical position
Promotions are also offered from time to time. For example, my local post office will offer you an extra month if you rent a box for 12 months instead of 6 when you rent for 12 months instead of 6 months. Instead of a discount on the price, the free month is reflected in the renewal date of the subscription (i.e. you pay for 12 months, you get the box for 13 months).
5 Cleverly Named Box Sizes
- There are five different box sizes to choose from: The following sizes are available: X-Small (Size 1): 3′′ x 512″ x 1434″
- Small (Size 2): 512″ x 512″ x 1434″
- Medium (Size 3): 512″ x 11′′ x 1434″
- Large (Size 4): 11′′ x 11′′ x 1434″
- X-Large (Size 5): 2212″ x 12
My letter size is 1, owing to the fact that I only ever get letters. Every now and then, I receive a box and just carry the small orange slip over to customer service to pick up the package.
Premium PO Box Service
- When the Post Office states Premium, it does not imply that you must pay an additional fee, but it does indicate that they provide the following Premium services: As a result, you may accept items from any shipper because your PO Box has a genuine street address.
- Using the Signature on File service eliminates the need to visit a retail counter to pick up certain signature and insured products (such as Priority Mail Express®, Signature ConfirmationTM, and Insured Mail more than $500).
- When you sign up for the ″Baker’s Dozen″ deal, you will receive one month of free service when you pay for 12 months.
- When purchasing a new PO Box, there is no key deposit necessary for the first two keys.
- In certain places, extended lobby hours for PO Boxes are available
- in others, earlier mail collection periods are available.
- For a PO Box, here’s how to acquire a genuine street address: Simple!
- The ability to utilize a genuine street address is a convenient feature for businesses that refuse to send mail to a PO Box.
- Simply use the street address of the post office, followed by the letters XXX, as your address.
- For example, if you have box123 and your Post Office is situated at 1 Main Street, Anytown, NY, your real street address is 1 Main Street123, Anytown, NY.
- If you have box123 and your Post Office is located at 1 Main Street, Anytown, NY, your real street address is 1 Main Street123, Anytown, NY.
How to Rent a PO Box
- Simply showing up at the Post Office will not enough.
- You’re going to have an awful time.
- If you’re unfortunate, it’ll be really long, but else it’ll be OK.
- Go online and use the website to take care of all of your PO Box requirements.
- There is a tool that you can use to locate your local post office so that you can learn about the various box sizes, the cost, and any other premium services that they provide.
- Example: My post office is a tiny little structure with only three different box sizes available to me (1-3).
- All five are available at a larger post office in the area.
- Above the bank of PO Boxes, there’s a little sign that lists the boxes’ availability as well as their prices.
- Listed below are the pricing at my local post office in Maryland:
|Box Size||3 Months||6 Months||12 Months|
|X-Small (Size 1)||$39||$67||$134|
|Small (Size 2)||$58||$100||$200|
|Medium (Size 3)||$102||$178||$356|
|Large (Size 4)||$163||$283||$566|
|X-Large (Size 5)||$256||$446||$892|
- I’m not sure how the post office decides their costs because they aren’t based on the cost of living in the area where I live.
- The Size 1-XS box costs $108 a year at the Old Chelsea Post Office (Zip Code 10001) in Manhattan, which is undoubtedly a far more costly location than the surrounding neighborhood.
- It costs just $90 for a year’s worth of stamps at the Peck Slip Post Office in New York (Zip Code 10038).
- Both are significantly less expensive than my Maryland box!
- When I went to check at some more, I discovered that the charges at a post office 2.78 miles away are HALF of what I am currently paying!
|Box Size||3 Months||6 Months||12 Months|
|X-Small (Size 1)||$22||$38||$76|
|Small (Size 2)||$32||$56||$112|
|Medium (Size 3)||$57||$99||$198|
UPS Store Boxes
- Not only may you rent a box to take mail, but you can also do it in a variety of other locations.
- UPS Stores sell boxes and, in certain cases, provide 24-hour access to their facilities, as well as package acceptance, mail holding and forwarding, and a variety of other services.
- ″MailCheck″ is a convenience feature that is not available through traditional post offices.
- You may check by phone to see whether you have any mail, saving you the trouble of making the journey.
Because UPS Stores are independently owned and operated, costs will vary; you will need to contact to find out more.Check all of the post office boxes that are handy for your schedule and driving conditions if you want to get a post office box.It appears that the pricing are quite variable.
I went for the one that was nearest to my house, which resulted in my spending about twice as much as I should have, but it appears that price makes as much sense as anything else at the post office!
Other Posts You May Enjoy:
8 Best Bank Accounts for Freelancers and Side Hustlers
For those working as freelancers or part-time entrepreneurs, there are several excellent bank accounts to choose from. Furthermore, you no longer have to pay exorbitant fees in order to have a fantastic business checking account. Here are some of our top bank accounts for freelancers and side hustlers that you may use to make money.
Lili Review: A Free Checking Account for Freelancers & Side Hustlers
With Lili’s help, you may develop a banking experience that will make running your solo business operations a bit less difficult. Despite the fact that Lili has significant limits that make it unsuitable for full-time company owners, there are some advantages that make Lili a viable alternative for side hustlers and entrepreneurs.
NorthOne Review: An Attractive Choice for Business Owners
When you have an excellent business bank account, financial management becomes easier and less time-consuming. And NorthOne offers a variety of tools to assist company owners in doing just that. Your time is important, and it would be far better spent managing and expanding your firm rather than on time-consuming financial administration.
BlueVine Review: Should You Get This Online Business Checking Account?
- When I first started my business, I did what most people do: I went to a bank and established a checking account…
- A thirty-something father of four, Jim Wang writes often for Forbes and Vanguard’s blog.
- He has also had the good fortune to have his work published in the New York Times, Baltimore Sun, Entrepreneur, and Marketplace Money, among other publications.
- In addition to his undergraduate degree in Computer Science and Economics from Carnegie Mellon University, Jim holds a master’s degree in Information Technology – Software Engineering from Carnegie Mellon University, and a master’s degree in Business Administration from the Johns Hopkins University.
In the same way that an engineer approaches problems, he approaches personal finance by breaking down difficult issues into bite-sized, readily understandable principles that you can apply in your everyday life.The Personal Capital app is one of his favorite tools (here’s my treasure chest of tools, which contains everything I use).It allows him to manage his money in as little as 15 minutes every month.
You may also get help with your financial planning, such as using a Retirement Planning Tool, which can determine whether or not you are on track to retire when you desire.It’s completely free.He is also diversifying his financial portfolio by adding a little amount of real estate to his mix of investments.
- He is not investing in rental properties because he does not want a second job; instead, he is making diversified little investments in a few commercial properties and farms in Illinois, Louisiana, and California through AcreTrader.
- Recently, he’s made some purchases on Masterworks, including a couple pieces of art.
- >> Jim’s other articles may be found here.
The opinions stated here are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of any bank or financial institution.It should be noted that none of these organizations have reviewed, authorized, or otherwise supported the information on this page.
PO Box Cost: Read This Before Renting
Determining post office box rental costs might be difficult at first since the pricing changes depending on the location, box size, and length of time the box is rented. Fortunately, if you know what to look for, determining the cost of a PO box is straightforward.
PO Box Cost Overview
- The cost of a post office box might vary significantly depending on where you live.
- Taking the example of renting an extra small box for three months, the cost can be as low as $10 in certain locations and as much as $67 in others depending on location.
- The statistics in the table below, which displays the typical pricing for PO boxes in all ZIP codes, can give you a general indication of what to expect.
Average PO Box Prices
|Size||3 Months||1 Month|
|Extra Small (1)||$24||$8|
|Extra Large (5)||$156||$52|
PO Box Billing & Discounts
- By default, post office boxes are priced in 3-month increments.
- The 3-month payment option requires automatic billing in order to be valid.
- The discount ranges from 10 percent to 15 percent based on the box size and your region when you pay for a six-month period.
- Because there is no additional reduction for the 12-month term, the 12-month period is precisely double the price of the 6-month period.
The Post Office, on the other hand, offers specials from time to time, such as providing a free month when signing up for a 12-month rental.
Finding the PO Box Cost for Your Location
The official United States Postal Service rate finder is the most accurate approach to get your exact PO box cost. Then, on the USPS.com PO Boxes Online page, click the blue ″Reserve New PO Box″ button to complete the process: In order to discover PO box pricing and availability in your location, you must first input your address or ZIP code on this page.
PO Box Sizes
Postal boxes are available in five common sizes. This is only a high-level summary; we go into further depth on this subject in our page on post office box sizes.
|Extra Small (1)||3″||5.5″||14.75″||10-15 standard envelopes or 2 magazines|
|Small (2)||5″||5.5″||14.75″||10-15 letters or 5 magazines|
|Medium (3)||11″||5.5″||14.75″||Large envelopes and magazines stacked flat|
|Large (4)||11″||11″||14.75″||2 shoeboxes with room for 10-15 letters|
|Extra Large (5)||22.5″||12″||14.75″||Multiple packages, letters, and magazines|
Availability of Larger Sizes
- Many post offices do not have large or extra-large letter sizes available (sizes 4 and 5).
- The PO Boxes Online pricing tool allows you to search for all post offices within a 50-mile radius when you use it to find a rate.
- The larger sizes may be available at a different post office, depending on your geographic area.
- If you are unable to locate a big post office box in your region, you may want to consider renting a UPS mailbox.
To view our article about UPS mailboxes, please visit this link.
Deposits & Fees
You must pay a $3.00 deposit for your first two keys in order to get them. Keys for additional locks are subject to a $6.00 deposit per lock. Replacement of the lock (due to a misplaced key) or a late payment fee of $22.00 will be assessed.
The 411 on Getting (and Using) a Post Office Box
- A post office box (also known as a PO box, as most of us are familiar with the term) is a great alternative to or complement to the use of a regular mailbox for a variety of reasons.
- In the case of someone who hasn’t worked with one before, it’s totally reasonable to have inquiries about what they are and how they operate.
- This fast guide will tell you all you need to know about buying and using a post office box, including how much it costs, what your alternatives are, and when it is a good idea to acquire one.
- So let’s get this party started.
What is a Post Office Box?
- A post office box is a lockable, personal box that you may rent from the United States Postal Service (USPS).
- They’re often positioned in the foyer of the building and are accessible with your key around the clock, so you can usually retrieve your mail even if the office is closed in the traditional sense.
- For the most part, PO boxes function in the same way as a normal mailbox, whether it’s located outside your home or in a cluster in an apartment complex.
- Each one has a unique ″address″ that others may use to send you mail or parcels, and every form of mail that could be sent to your home can also be delivered to the post office box in your neighborhood.
Your PO box address, on the other hand, cannot be utilized for everything, such as completing company paperwork or substituting your street address on official papers, for example.
How Much Does a Post Office Box Cost?
- A post office box typically costs between $19 and $75 per month for a leasing period of one year, according to Bankrate.
- Several factors influence the cost of your rental, including the length of time you want to keep the vehicle.
- These considerations include the position of the box (for example, you can expect to spend a lot more to rent in a population-heavy area like New York City than a less dense area like rural Ohio).
- A difference of hundreds of dollars a year can be made by changing the location of your post office box.
If you are quoted a high fee at one post office location, it may be worthwhile to check at a few others that are still convenient for you before deciding where you want your box to be located.In addition to the size of your box (the larger the box, the more it will cost, of course), you need think about how long you will be renting it for and how much you will be paying per day.In most cases, post office boxes are rented for three or six months at a time, with longer rental terms averaging out to be more cost-effective than renting for shorter periods of time.
The most expensive post office boxes—that is, the biggest boxes available for the longest leasing periods in the most expensive areas—can cost as much as $625 every pay period.
Post Office Box Sizes
- There are five different standard sizes to choose from.
- Choosing the appropriate size for your mailbox is dependent on whether you wish to receive only mail or also packages, how frequently you intend to check the box, and if you intend to use it for all of your incoming mail or only portion of it.
- The five sizes that are offered are as follows: Extra Small (3′′ x 5 1/2′′ x 14 3/4′′) — Can hold up to 15 letter-sized envelopes or up to 2 rolled magazines in a single layer of protection.
- Small (5′′ x 5 1/2′′ x 14 3/4′′) — Holds 10-15 letters or up to 5 rolled magazines in a single compartment.
Medium (11′′ x 5 1/2″ x 14 3/4′′) — This size is wide enough to accommodate big envelopes and magazines stacked flat.Large (11′′ x 11′′ x 14 3/4′′) — This box can easily hold two shoeboxes and still have enough for 10-15 letters on the inside.Extra Large (22 1/2′′ x 12′′ x 14 3/4′′) — This box is large enough to hold Flat Rate Boxes and small shipments.
How to Get a Post Office Box
You have two alternatives for getting started with your rental, both of which are rather simple and easy.
Reserve a PO box online
- Enter the city, state, or zip code where you want to set up a post office box on this United States Postal Service page.
- Select the size of the unit you wish to rent
- Select the term of your rental agreement.
- Create an account, fill out an application for a post office box, and pay the monthly leasing price
- Print your completed application and bring it to the post office with you, together with a copy of your emailed receipt for the box and two pieces of identification, in order to obtain the keys to your PO box
Reserve a PO box at the post office
- Obtain a copy of and complete an Application for Post Office Box Service (available here).
- Deliver the completed form to the USPS location that is most convenient for you.
- They’ll check your address and accept your money, and then you’ll be on your way.
It doesn’t matter which option you choose; you’ll receive two keys for your post office box and will be required to pay a $3 non-refundable fee for each of them.If you misplace your keys, you will be charged a $20 replacement cost.There are some post office boxes that are only accessible by a combination lock, in which case you will not need to get keys; nonetheless, the same $20 cost will apply if you forget the combination code to your box lock.
Can You Get a Refund on a Post Office Box?
- It is dependent on the situation.
- It is possible to cancel your rental at any moment throughout your rental period; however, whether or not you are qualified for a refund is determined on how near you are to the end of your rental period.
- According to the United States Postal Service: Payments Due in Three Months (automatic renewal required) There will be no refunds.
- s Payments are due every six months.
Within the first 3 months, you will receive a return of half of the money you paid.After 3 months, there will be no refunds.Payments are due every 12 months.
Within the first three months, one-fourth of the price is paid.Within the first six months, a quarter of the price is refunded.There will be a 14 percent refund during the first 9 months.
- After 9 months, there will be no reimbursements.
- Refund requests can be made at the post office where your PO box is situated if you need to get a reimbursement.
Why Get a PO Box
- Consider the following: Why would you want to purchase a post office box when you could just get mail at home.
- There are a variety of advantages to using a PO box, including occasions where it may be more cost-effective than using the more traditional method.
- When you don’t want to share your home address with others.
- It is possible that you will not want to reveal your home address in a variety of situations, such as when you are communicating with somebody you do not know for business purposes.
Using a post office address instead of your home address ensures that your home address remains confidential.When your mail is unreliable, it’s time to call.In the event that you’re having difficulties receiving your mail, whether it’s usually ending up at your neighbors’ house or in the next town over, or if you’ve experienced delays, a post office box may be the answer.
The fact that it is placed right next to your local USPS means that you won’t have to wait for your mailman to drop it off—and you won’t have to worry about your mail ending up in the wrong hands.
Are There Drawbacks?
- No, not at all.
- The convenience of having a PO box instead of a traditional mailbox, rather than just in addition to one, will be slightly less convenient than being able to simply pick up your mail at home—though this isn’t a major concern because most USPS locations are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week during standard business hours.
- The cost of owning a post office box is perhaps the most significant negative, because depending on what you want, it may not be inexpensive to do so.
- Considering that your mailbox at home is free to use (apart from the purchase of stamps), you’re effectively paying for a service that you might otherwise access for free.
Having said that, if you’re acquiring a post office box for one of the reasons listed above, it’s usually worth the money to spend the extra money for it.
Premium PO Box Services
- Looking to get a little more out of your post office box?
- Here’s how.
- Several USPS sites provide premium services, and in certain situations, you may even get them for free when you rent a vehicle from the company.
- Listed below are the two sorts of premium services that you might be interested in learning more about: Obtaining a physical street address for your mail box Having an actual street address rather than a post office box number allows you to utilize your post office box as your official postal address instead of a PO box.
This is an excellent choice if you’re in the process of relocating or if you want to be able to receive packages from extra postal carriers such as FedEx or UPS at your mailbox.Having a signature on file is a good idea.A signature may be stored on file with your box at your local USPS facility, which means you won’t have to be there to sign for packages when they arrive or wait in line to sign for them later.
Obtaining and utilizing a post office box may be accomplished by going to USPS.com/manage/po-boxes for further information and instructions.
How much is a P.O. Box
- Boxes have been in existence as long as there has been mail to distribute.
- Obtaining a post office box is often regarded as one of the most secure methods of receiving and managing mail.
- Your mail can be sent to a location other than your house, which ensures that it arrives safely and avoids any theft activity from occurring.
People, on the other hand, frequently inquire about the cost of a P.O.Box.In order to better understand this, let us first address the frequently asked question: how much does a post office box cost?
What is a P.O. Box?
- Allow me to define what a Postal Service box is before we go over some of the most typical P.O.
- Box pricing options.
- If you have a P.O.
- Box (also known as a post office box), you can use it to send and receive mail at any time.
It is normally placed in the post office’s lobby.In the event that you are unable or do not wish to receive mail at your residence, you can rent a letterbox from your local post office.A excellent alternative if you’re searching for a secure location to receive your mail or if you want a part of your mail, such as mail for a home-based company, to be sent to another location.
You may hire a box like this for three, six, or twelve months.The fact that most post offices are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week is a wonderful convenience.Typically, you enter your P.O.
- Box using a combination lock and key.
- A combination lock is also available at some post office locations.
How much does a P.O. Box cost?
- The average cost of a P.O.
- The cost of renting a post office box varies greatly depending on a number of various criteria.
- You may spend as little as $20 for a three-month rental at one of the cheapest places, or as much as $360 at one of the most expensive ones, depending on your budget.
Pricing information may be found on the United States Postal Service website, which provides a comprehensive summary.You can also inquire with your local post office station to see if there are any drop-off boxes available at the moment.The majority of the time, you may pay for a post office box rental online or at a self-service kiosk.
Payments can also be made online or in person if desired.
P.O. Box price-determining factors
As previously stated, prices are subject to change. When renting a post office box, the fee is determined by three factors: the length of time you want t