If it appears that your package has been stolen, contact the seller or retailer that sold you the item. Different retailers have different policies and processes for handling stolen items, but you’re usually entitled to a refund or a replacement.
What happens if my package is stolen?
If your package was stolen and there’s evidence, take photos and submit those too. Shippers who send insured packages should be refunded directly by USPS. Recipients of stolen packages can normally go through the seller to receive a replacement or refund.
What do I do if my package is stolen from my porch?
What do you do if a package is stolen? If your package was successfully delivered and then stolen from your porch, you have a couple of options. For USPS deliveries, you can file a mail theft complaint with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. USPS will start your claims process.
What should you do if someone stole your package?
If you have a doorbell camera or an outdoor security camera, use it to your benefit. Watch the footage if an expected package is nowhere to be found. You can check if the carrier dropped off the package or if someone walked away with it. Report it to your local police department if you spot a theft.
What happens if my packages are stolen?
What to do if your Amazon package is stolen?
about 54% were from amazon, 16% were from FedEx, 11% from USPS and 9% of the packages stolen were from UPS. There are a few steps you can take to safeguard your front porch to ensure secure deliveries. Try these strategies to keep your packages safe from
Porch Pirates: 6 Steps to Take if Your Package Is Stolen
According to a survey commissioned by ValuePenguin, nearly four out of every ten customers has had a package stolen before it could be delivered to them.While the quantity of deliveries increases over the Christmas season, this data serves as a reminder to consumers that package theft is a widespread problem throughout the year, regardless of the season.If you’ve been unfortunate enough to have a parcel stolen from your front door, here’s what you should do to recover your package.
What to do if a package is stolen from your porch
If your mail has been stolen, you must follow these procedures in order to be paid or to get a substitute item.
Step 1: Track the package
First and foremost, if you have reason to believe your package has been stolen, you should look for tracking information in the email you received upon purchase.Typically, you will be provided with a tracking number, which you may use to keep track on the progress of your order throughout shipment.Sometimes all you need to do is click on this number or button, but other times you may need to copy the number and input it on the retailer’s or shipping company’s website, depending on the situation.For shipments to be delayed, especially during high shipping seasons such as the holidays, this is to be expected.The shipment status will inform you of the location where your package was last recorded as well as the date on which it was delivered to the shipping destination.
- If the item is indicated as having been delivered, go to step 2.
- Otherwise, proceed to step 3.
Step 2: Check if your neighbors saw it or held onto it for you
Check with your neighbors to see if the item has been delivered once you’ve verified that it has.It’s humiliating to lash out at a customer service agent only to realize that the sweet lady next door noticed your shipment and grabbed it to save it from being stolen or rained on while you were away.Even if they don’t have your package, it’s possible that your neighbors saw it earlier in the day and are unaware of it.
Step 3: Contact the seller or retailer
Immediately notify the vendor or shop that sold you the goods if it looks that your shipment has been stolen or misplaced.When it comes to dealing with stolen property, different merchants have different rules and procedures in place, but you are normally entitled to a refund or a replacement.Amazon’s ″A-to-Z Guarantee Protection″ provides coverage for the majority of stolen packages.Purchases that are labeled as ″fulfilled by Amazon″ are sometimes derived from retail partners known as ″Amazon Sellers,″ rather than from Amazon itself.(You should be aware of this at the time you place your purchase for the item).
- It is mandatory for you to contact the Amazon Seller in order to try to resolve the issue with them if this is the situation with your purchase, according to Amazon.
- You may make a claim with Amazon if you’ve waited more than two business days for a response or if the seller is being unhelpful.
- Amazon would most likely offer a refund in this case, as well.
- In many circumstances, stores will agree to send you a new item within a short period of time.
- However, if they refuse to accept responsibility and give a replacement, there are still certain actions you may take to obtain recompense.
Step 4: File a claim with the shipping company
Occasionally, stores may attempt to transfer responsibility to the shipping provider or will need you to make a complaint and wait a specific number of days before learning for definite whether your shipment will or will not be delivered.If you find yourself in this situation, you may wish to submit a claim with the shipping business as well, just to be safe.UPS, FedEx, the United States Postal Service, and DHL all have online claims processes that you may use to report your lost item, and you can also call them to report your missing item.
Step 5: Use the purchase protection features on your credit card
When you use a credit card to make a purchase, many issuers will provide purchase protection that will repay you if an item is stolen.This is true as long as the item was paid wholly with that credit card and the card issuer is contacted within a certain timeframe.Check the website of your credit card provider to see whether this coverage is available and to learn how to make a claim.Some credit card providers, however, do not provide coverage for high-value products (usually anything that is worth more than $500 to $1,000).Depending on the company, they may ask you to submit a police complaint before they can issue your refund.
- Finally, credit card purchase protection is sometimes referred to as ″secondary coverage,″ which indicates that it only kicks in after you’ve previously used main coverage, such as homeowner’s or renters insurance, to safeguard your purchases.
- This takes us to the sixth step.
Step 6: Claim high-value items with your homeowners insurance
The majority of homeowners and renters insurance plans include coverage for stolen shipments.Unfortunately, this is only beneficial for items that are more valuable than your deductible.Given that the majority of homeowners insurance deductibles range between $500 and $2,000, filing a claim for the majority of stolen packages will be a waste of time.However, even if the value of the lost item exceeds the deductible, you’ll need to consider the risk that your homes insurance provider would raise your rates as a result of your claim, not to mention the inconvenience of submitting the claim itself.
How to prevent package theft
When a package is stolen, it may be quite stressful, and the claims procedure can be much more unpleasant. If you wish to reduce the likelihood of losing shipments while you’re away from home, consider the following solutions for protecting your packages while you’re gone.
Schedule for in-person delivery
The most effective method of preventing mail theft is to personally accept your shipments.To do this, either notify your postal service business that you require a signature for delivery or arrange for your mail to be carried to a location where someone is constantly on hand.Consider asking a neighbor if they would be willing to accept delivery if you are frequently away from home.Alternatively, if it is acceptable to your business and your shipment is modest, you can choose your office as the delivery destination.
Use a lockbox service
When using a service such as Amazon Locker, you may have goods delivered to a lockbox, which will help to prevent mail from being stolen.In addition, several supermarket and convenience stores provide this sort of service, or you may have your box delivered to your local UPS or USPS center and pick it up when you get to that location.A combination-protected lockbox that stands on your doorstep and safeguards your parcels until you return home is an option if you prefer a shorter journey than driving to the post office.
Insure your packages
Whenever you purchase a high-value item online, such as a new iPhone or iPad, spend a few additional dollars for delivery insurance to protect your investment. Typically, you may accomplish this either directly with the seller or through the delivery company.
Install a security camera
There are various low-cost home security cameras that are simple to install around the perimeter of your property, including bullet cameras.Most of these cameras are compatible with your WiFi network and even have a smartphone app, allowing you to keep track of parcels left during the day.The sheer appearance of these cameras may be enough to deter would-be porch pirates, but even if it isn’t, you’ll still have proof to use as the basis for a police report if necessary.As an extra benefit, adding these cameras may entitle you to a reduction on your homes insurance.
What is the value of stolen packages, and what steps have been taken by consumers?
- In accordance with a survey commissioned by ValuePenguin, parcel theft has touched more than 40% of all Americans at some time during their lives. More than 5 out of 10 buyers reported having more than one package stolen in the previous 12 months, resulting in an average loss of $106 per home in that time period. When applied to the total number of households in the United States as determined by the Census Bureau, these averages show that porch piracy cost U.S. consumers more than $7.4 billion in the previous year: In the last year, there were an estimated 144 million victims
- the average loss per home was $106
- and the estimated value of stolen products in the last year was $7.4 billion.
Despite the high number of burglaries, over three-quarters of Americans said they have done nothing to safeguard their deliveries against theft in the future — including more than half of respondents over the age of 55 who said they have done nothing.It is estimated that nearly two out of every three robberies occurred directly outside the victims’ houses, thus it is wise to take several safeguards to deter bold would-be burglars.
What to Do If You Have a Lost or Stolen Package
Continue to the main content Expert in security, safety, and technology reporting More information can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/news/business/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/ Packages might go misplaced from time to time.We have to admit that most of the time when you’re looking for a lost package, it’s because someone has taken it from your front door and taken off.Almost 26 million shipments were stolen in the United States in 2017.¹ You can follow these methods to get your package stolen back, track down the burglar, or frighten off porch pirates before they do their heinous act of vandalism.To see more videos like this one, make sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Learn how to keep your house, your loved ones, yourself, and your valuables safe from harm’s way.
Here’s what to do if a package is stolen
Keep yourself safe! Subscribing to SafeWise’s weekly email is free of charge. Get the latest information about safety news, product launches, and special offers.
What to do if your package is stolen
If you have a genuine suspicion that you have been hit by a porch pirate and that something has been taken from your stoop, call the authorities and submit a police complaint for the stolen parcel with the police department where you live.If there are no witnesses, they will be powerless to prevent the incident, but they will make a record of it.Keep in mind to give the cops any film you have from your doorbell camera if you have it.You should also inform them of the time the delivery provider said your box was delivered and the time you discovered it had gone missing.The police will be more likely to investigate and apprehend the package thieves if they hear from other people in your neighborhood who are experiencing the same difficulties as you.
- Filing a police report may also be beneficial if you want to file an insurance claim for the delivery that was not received.
Watch out for post-pandemic porch pirates
- Package theft increased dramatically across the country, from Buffalo, New York, to Eugene, Oregon, as more people were compelled to purchase online as a result of the outbreak. And the epidemic porch pirates came up with some ingenious solutions. Theft of packages was committed by a group of women in Kennewick, Washington, who disguised themselves as nurses. Another package thief struck in Pennsylvania, this time stealing the ashes of a loved one off the doorstep. Even if the epidemic is slowing down, we recommend that you exercise greater caution. Keep track of each and every package
- Take delivery of items as soon as you receive a delivery notification
- check to see if your video doorbell or security camera is sending you motion alerts
- use delivery lockers if you have the option
- The majority of the time, a misplaced shipment is something you specifically requested. If this is the case, you should contact the vendor and inform them that your product has not been delivered as expected. Is the seller liable for packages that have been stolen? Maybe. It all depends on the website where you made your purchase and the policies that are in place on that site. You could wish to inquire with the company’s customer care department. In my experience, firms who send out a replacement immediately quickly, without any questions asked, have a high rate of success. However, not every firm will provide you with a replacement item or a refund for your purchase. Keep any evidence that supports your allegation in a safe place. If you receive a notification of delivery, but the package is not where it was supposed to be, take a photo of the situation.
- Keep a record of your order confirmation number and any other information that can assist the company in tracking down your purchase.
- Keep track of delivery numbers and information to provide along to the firm so that it can contact the courier on your behalf.
If the stolen parcel was sent by a friend or family, notify them that it has not been delivered as scheduled.. They can get in touch with the vendor or the courier to see if they can figure out what went wrong.
3. How do I report a stolen package to Amazon?
Amazon is well-known for its lightning-fast Prime shipping and its ″no questions asked″ mentality, which is essentially true.If the tracking information for an Amazon delivery indicates that it was delivered, but you are unable to locate it, you should be able to obtain a refund rather quickly and simply.After 36 hours have gone since the estimated delivery date of the stolen Amazon shipment, you should call Amazon to report the theft.If your products are delivered late, the shipping company will normally reimburse your account for the inconvenience.You won’t have to worry about dealing with third-party merchants (or even their own services) because the corporation will manage everything for you.
4. How do I report a stolen FedEx package?
FedEx makes it simple to file a claim for a misplaced shipment.If you bought or mailed something from the United States via FedEx, you may make a FedEx stolen parcel claim online to get your goods back.FedEx is also a rather quick delivery service.In most cases, claims are resolved within five to seven business days of being filed.When it comes to filing a claim for damaged or missing materials, you’ll have 60 calendar days to do so as either the sender or the recipient.
- For lost item claims, you’ll have up to nine months to file them.
- However, make sure to save all packaging and evidence in case FedEx want to inspect them.
5. How do I report a stolen package to UPS?
In the event of a shipment being lost or stolen, UPS provides varying insurance based on whether your package was sent within the United States or worldwide.For domestic shipments, if you place an order and it doesn’t arrive, you won’t be able to make a missing package claim until 24 hours after the delivery was meant to arrive.Product claims for items acquired from outside the United States are more difficult to process.You will not be able to register a claim for certain items, and it may be difficult to obtain a refund or replacement for them.All of the assertions are as follows: UPS will examine your claim for a lost shipment as soon as you file it.
- It might be difficult to determine if a shipment has been misplaced or stolen.
- Regardless, all undeliverable shipments, for whatever reason, are dealt with in this manner.
- If you ordered the merchandise, you need get in touch with the vendor, since UPS would give the refund to them instead of the purchaser.
6. Contact USPS about a stolen package
- Because it is more difficult to submit a claim with the USPS than it is with other carriers, parcels stolen or lost by the USPS can be more difficult to track down than goods lost by other carriers. While the company’s procedure for reimbursing damaged parcels is well defined, the procedure for reimbursing stolen mail is not. If your parcel was mailed and delivered by the United States Postal Service, but it has not arrived, you will need to make a claim. Prepare the tracking number in advance
- Be prepared to present proof of insurance coverage.
- If at all feasible, obtain documentation demonstrating the item’s worth.
If your shipment has been stolen and there is evidence, you should snap photographs and submit them as evidence as well. If your item was insured by the United States Postal Service, you should be able to request a reimbursement straight from USPS. Generally speaking, if your shipment was stolen by the USPS, you should be able to get a replacement or a refund through the vendor.
What you can do to prevent package theft (or track down those porch pirates!)
You should take use of whatever cameras you have, whether they be doorbell cameras or outside security cameras.If a shipment is not delivered as promised, keep an eye out for it on video.The parcel may be checked to see if it was delivered by the carrier or if it was taken by someone else.If you see a theft, you should contact your local police station.Alternatively, if you can demonstrate that no one ever showed up at your door, the carrier (if you’re the shipper) or shipper (if you’re the recipient) will be required to repay you the money you paid.
- Installing a camera on your porch will provide you with proof of delivery or theft.
- These days, there is a wide selection of smart doorbells and home security cameras to choose from.
- Some use applications to give out fast notifications, while others just capture video footage.
2. Shine a light on the situation
Porch pirates like to remain hidden in the shadows. Install a motion-activated light on your porch to deter burglars from entering your home. Motion light and security camera combinations are also available on the market. You’ll have a visually stunning deterrent as well as a method to catch the perpetrators in the act.
Tell us about your lost or stolen package experience
Being a victim of package theft is never enjoyable, and dealing with defective carriers is even worse.We hope that this guidance will assist you in taking precautionary actions, obtaining a refund, or obtaining a replacement as fast as possible.If you have any tips on how to recover a misplaced or stolen parcel, please share them with us in the comments section below!It’s always beneficial to hear first-person recollections of events.
Related pages on SafeWise
Compare the best home security systems
|Brand||Best for||Lowest monitoring price||Starter equipment price||Contract required||Smart home compatibility||Learn more||Read review|
|Vivint||Best overall||$29.99/mo.||$0 due up-front with consumer financing.″>$599.00||No No-contract options available with outright equipment purchase. ″>*||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View packages||Read review|
|Frontpoint||High-end DIY pick||$34.99/mo.||$129.00||No||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View packages||Read review|
|SimpliSafe||Reader favorite||$17.99/mo.||$229.00||No||Amazon,Google||View packages||Read review|
|Cove||Best customer experience||$14.99/mo.||Quote required||No No-contract options available with outright equipment purchase. ″>*||Amazon,Google||View packages||Read review|
|ADT||Most experienced||$27.99/mo.||With $99 installation charge and new monitoring agreement. Early termination fee applies. $27.99/mo. price applies to landline monitoring only. Some restrictions apply. See full disclaimer for full offer details, terms, and conditions.″>$0.00||Yes||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View packages||Read review|
|Abode||Best DIY automation||$20.00/mo.||$279.00||No||Amazon, Apple, Google, Z-Wave, Zigbee||View packages||Read review|
|Ring||Best outdoor cameras||$20.00/mo.||$199.99||No||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View on Amazon||Read review|
|Blue by ADT||Best optional monitoring||$19.99/mo.||$199.15||No||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View Packages||Read review|
|Wyze||Best budget pick||$4.99/mo.||$85.98||No||Amazon,Google||View on Amazon||Read review|
|Brinks||Most safety sensor options||$39.99/mo.||$199.00||Yes||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View packages||Read review|
Products are priced and made available according to current market conditions as of the date/time specified and are subject to change.If a product is listed at a lower price or is no longer available, the lower price and availability information will apply to the purchase of this product.Safewise.com makes use of Amazon affiliate links that are compensated.The Amazon website provides some of the material that appears on this site.Please note that this content is supplied ″as-is″ and that it is subject to alteration or removal at any moment without notice.
- Rebecca Edwards has written an article.
- Rebecca is the chief safety reporter and in-house expert at SafeWise.com.
- She has worked in the industry for over a decade.
- She has worked as a writer and blogger for more than 25 years, with the last eight years devoted to issues of home and community safety.
- Month after month, Rebecca spends dozens of hours combing over crime records and detecting trends.
- Her safety expertise is in high demand by periodicals, broadcast journalists, non-profit organizations, podcasts, and other media outlets, among other things.
- Among the publications that have featured her professional advice and analysis are TechCrunch, The Washington Post, The Chicago Tribune, The Miami Herald, NPR, HGTV, MSN, Reader’s Digest, and Real Simple, in addition to an ever-growing archive of radio and television clips.
- Return to the top of the page
What Happens If My Packages are Stolen?
With the advent of Black Friday and the Christmas season, there will almost certainly be an uptick in the number of parcels taken from your porch.Porch Pirates will closely follow a delivery vehicle and seize the item as soon as the driver is no longer visible on the road.According to a research by August Home Inc, approximately 11 million homes in the United States have had a package stolen in the last year.With each passing year, the amount of Christmas shipping that is done online grows.Nearly 70% of homes expect to get parcels over the Christmas season, with three out of five customers receiving more deliveries during this period of time than at any other time of the year, according to the National Retail Federation.
- What steps should you take to keep your shipments safe, and what should you do if you become a victim of a porch pirate?
- Several solutions are available to you if your box has been successfully delivered but subsequently stolen from your front porch.
- If you receive a package through the United States Postal Service, you can submit a complaint with the United States Postal Inspection Service.
- The United States Postal Service will begin the claims procedure for you.
- If your shipment was delivered by a different carrier, you should contact the sender of the package to begin the tracking procedure with UPS or FedEx.
- The sender will then contact you to provide an update on the status of your shipment.
- Notify your local police agency about the theft by calling them on their phone number.
- Theft protection is provided by several credit card issuers, including American Express, for users who charge a covered purchase that is later discovered to be stolen.
- If you have any questions about the coverage, you should contact your credit card company.
1. Security camera
There are several security cameras available on the market, such as the Ring Video Doorbell.When someone rings your doorbell or activates the motion sensors embedded into the device, you will receive rapid notifications.Using Ring’s two-way communication, you may instruct your courier on where to hide your parcels or alert pirates that they are being recorded.The film captured by a security camera might be used to prove that the theft occurred.In my neighborhood’s NextDoor.com site, I’ve already seen neighbors upload video recordings of package theft obtained from their Ring doorbells, which I’ve found to be quite disturbing.
2. UPS access point delivery
Thousands of local businesses, including neighborhood convenience stores, supermarkets, dry cleaners, and other businesses, participate in the UPS Access Point network, which provides package pickup and drop off for packages.Each of the 4,400 UPS Store locations around the country is a member of the network.If you want to pick up your items, you must provide a government-issued picture ID with your last name and full address on it that matches the information on the package.Bringing evidence of residence that matches the package’s mailing address is required if the address on the ID does not match that on the package’s mailing address (like a current utility bill).If the last name or complete address does not match, you will be required to submit the package tracking number to the UPS Access Point employee, as well as the parcel release code issued by the shipping company.
3. Amazon Locker
Amazon.com also provides an alternative to traditional home delivery services.Instead of entering a shipping address during the checkout process, choose to have your order delivered to an Amazon Locker.This is a self-service kiosk that allows you to schedule a later time to pick up your item from.You’ll receive an e-mail notification after your box has been delivered to the Amazon Locker, which will include a unique pickup code as well as the address and hours of operation for the Locker location you selected.Pickup of all packages delivered to Amazon Locker locations must occur within three business days of the delivery.
4. UPS My Choice
UPS My Choice is a free service that allows recipients to have greater choice over their delivery. More information may be found here.
Declared Value Coverage (Shipping Insurance)
FedEx, UPS, and the United States Postal Service (USPS) all provide additional declared value coverage, with the first two carriers giving up to $100 in free coverage with ground and express services, respectively.It is possible for shippers to lower the cost of extra insurance coverage by looking into alternative insurance choices that are available to them.U-Pic is a shipping insurance firm that provides coverage for goods that are transported by the major shipping companies around the world, including the United States.Shippers of all sizes may save up to 85 percent on shipping insurance and parcel insurance by using the shipping insurance and parcel insurance coupons.UPS, FedEx, USPS, and DHL are all accessible for delivery.
- When it comes to misplaced parcels, U-PIC never demands a police complaint.
Shipping Insurance Best Practices
One of the finest practices for making a claim is to make sure that all necessary papers are submitted at the time of filing the claim.To list a few more particular recommended practices, here are a few examples: – It is always best practice to present both the buyer’s statement of loss/damage as well as the invoice when filing a claim.If the claim is for a damaged item, make sure that either the shipper or recipient retains possession of the package until the claim is handled.Make use of U-24/7 PIC’s Claim Status website to keep track of the status of your claim.Brian Gibbs is the founder and president of Refund Retriever.
- Refund Retriever was started in 2006 by Brian Gibbs, who was running his first eBay-based business at the time and was frustrated by the inefficiencies of other shipment auditing businesses.
- The auditing of FedEx and UPS parcel invoices is the major emphasis of Refund Retriever.
- After earning his bachelor’s degree from Texas A&M University in 2001, he went on to earn his JD and MBA from the University of Houston in 2004.
- He has been published in Forbes, Entrepreneur Magazine, and a variety of other media, where he has spoken on package auditing, shipping, e-commerce, and other topics.
- Call (800) 441-8085 for additional information or to find out more about the program.
Package Stolen? Here are 5 Ways to Recover Stolen Deliveries
A growing number of individuals will get parcels through the mail in 2020 compared to 2019.This is due to the expansion of e-commerce and increasing online buying due to the coronavirus pandemic.Unfortunately, the number of people who have had a parcel stolen has grown throughout this period as well, which is a sad development.Despite the fact that package theft is a particularly serious concern during the holiday season, it is critical that you remain attentive in securing your deliveries throughout the year.
What to do if a package is stolen
In this post, we’ll discuss techniques to assist avoid package theft, regardless of whether you live in an apartment or own your house. We’ll also go through some options for locating your shipment if it’s been stolen in the future. Let’s take a look at how to report a stolen item and what you may do in the future to avoid parcel theft in the first instance.
Before You Report Stolen Packages, Ask Around
We’ve all been in that situation.The day after you arrive home from work, you fully anticipate to discover that the box you bought is waiting for you on your front porch.After all, you had just gotten a delivery confirmation email a few hours before this conversation.When you arrive at your front door and discover that there is no package in sight, it’s natural to become anxious.Here are a few things you should consider before jumping to conclusions.
- These procedures might assist to guarantee that you do not begin the process of obtaining a refund when the shipment was not stolen in the first place.
Make Sure That It Was Delivered
If you obtain a delivery confirmation, it is possible that the delivery provider made a mistake in the delivery process. To be sure that your package was delivered at the time and place specified by the tracking service, you can contact the company immediately. It’s always conceivable that something went wrong, so it’s worth double-checking everything first.
Look Thoroughly and Check with Your Roommates or Family Members
Make a careful inspection of your porch or front step to see whether the parcel was delivered in an odd location.It is possible that delivery drivers will attempt to be courteous by placing boxes out of sight in order to assist secure your belongings against theft.It’s also conceivable that someone else in your home has already taken possession of the parcel and carried it inside.In case a family member or roommate failed to notify you that they had already taken your box in from the porch, check with others in the house.
Check with Your Neighbors
When delivery drivers are concerned that leaving a box at your front door is not secure, they may choose to leave your gift with one of your neighbors. Although it is rare for products to be delivered to the incorrect address, it is conceivable that a neighbor got the box without recognizing it.
Ask Your Neighborhood Watch
Please contact your local neighborhood watch to inquire whether there has been a recent string of package thefts or if anyone has noticed any suspicious characters around your home.If your community has a local neighborhood watch, please contact them to inquire whether there has been a string of package thefts recently or if anyone has noticed any suspicious characters around your home.They may be able to provide you with information that may assist you in recovering your stolen property.
Someone Stole Your Package? 5 Ways to Recover Stolen Deliveries
Let’s have a look at what you should do next once you’ve inquired about your bundle with a few people. In many cases, whether you believe a neighbor or someone else took your package, you can obtain a refund or an alternate delivery from the sender or delivery firm in question.
1. Contact the Sender
Following that, if you have determined that the parcel was delivered but was most likely stolen, the next step is to contact the sender.There are a plethora of shops out there that will be eager to collaborate with you in order to address this issue effectively.A few of them may even replace or refund your order on the spot, and they may even take on the obligation of negotiating with the shipping business on your behalf.Is there anything you can do if the box you’re looking for was shipped by someone other than the shop, such as a friend or a family member?It is necessary to contact the sender in this case to ensure that the right address was printed on the label of the package.
- Unfortunately, the only thing you can do if you believe your belongings have been taken is to submit a theft report with the police.
2. Report It to FedEx, UPS or USPS
Different shipping firms have different procedures for reporting a shipment that has been stolen.For FedEx, the procedure is quite straightforward.You may file a claim for a misplaced parcel online, which you can complete and submit.FedEx typically responds to this type of claim within five to seven business days, depending on the circumstances.If UPS delivered your box, you’d have to wait 24 hours after the scheduled delivery time before filing a missing parcel claim with the Postal Service.
- In order to receive a refund, you’ll need to contact the seller, since the reimbursement will be paid to them rather than to you.
- For packages that have gone missing because they were sent to a foreign location, it may be difficult to obtain replacements or refunds through UPS.
- If you have a lost parcel from the United States Postal Service, you must first fill out a Help Request form, which will be forwarded to your local Post Office, which will assist you in locating your item.
- It is necessary to submit a Missing Mail Search Request with the tracking number, proof of insurance, and proof of the item’s worth if you do not get your package within seven days of it being lost or misdirected.
- If you have any evidence that the shipment was truly stolen, you should provide it with your application.
3. Report the package theft to Amazon
Despite the fact that this point technically belongs under the ″contact the sender″ section, Amazon is by far the largest online store in the world, and so deserves to be discussed separately.Fortunately, Amazon makes obtaining a reimbursement for misplaced items a simple process.You can contact Amazon once 36 hours have gone since the shipment was meant to have arrived if the tracking software indicates that it arrived but you did not physically get it, or if the box was stolen from your home.Even if the merchandise was shipped by a third-party vendor, Amazon would still handle the refund.
4. File a Police Report for the Stolen Package
Consider the following procedure for notifying the authorities of a missing parcel.Unfortunately, if there are no witnesses and you do not have a doorbell camera or an outside security camera, the police are unlikely to be able to do much to help you in this situation.If there have been recent package thefts in your neighborhood, there is a greater possibility that the authorities will examine the problem.If you want to file an insurance claim in connection with the missing delivery, a police report may be useful paperwork to have on hand.
5. Talk to Your Credit Card Company
If none of the previous strategies have worked, you can call your credit card provider to see if there are any safeguards in your card agreement that you can take advantage of. This implies that your credit card company may be able to issue you a refund even if the vendor or delivery company refuses to.
Don’t Fall Prey to Porch Pirates Again: How to Help Prevent Package Theft
Once you’ve been burnt by a porch pirate, the last thing you want to do is go through the ordeal all over again.Let’s have a look at some of the methods you may use to keep your packages from being stolen in the future.What can you do to avoid parcel theft?Whether you rent or own a home, practically everyone has had their packages stolen at some time in their lives.After looking forward to getting something, it might be disheartening to discover that it has not come as expected.
- We’ve created a list of recommendations that will assist you prevent package theft, whether you rent or own your home.
- Register for free pickup and delivery of items at the USPS shop
- Rent a package locker or parcel locker.
- UPS provides rental mailboxes at UPS Stores that are available to customers of any carrier.
- Install surveillance cameras on your property’s outside.
- If you have the choice, schedule delivery for a time when you are certain you will be home.
- Insist on receiving a signature upon delivery.
- Purchase a P.O. Box from your local United States Postal Service location.
- Install a video doorbell camera on your doorbell.
- Have the package delivered to your place of employment.
- Select Amazon Hub Locker pickup as your delivery option.
- Package insurance should be purchased. This enables you to trace your shipment, making it easier to intercept it when it arrives at your apartment or residence.
- An electronic smart lock may be used to enable a trustworthy delivery person access your house.
- Drop off and pick up UPS shipments at your neighborhood CVS.
- Pick up your FedEx packages from Walgreens
- Request package drop off in your fenced-in backyard or garage
- and more.
- Check with your neighbors to see if they will be willing to keep or pick up a box for you while you are away from home, especially if you offer to do the same for them.
- Register for UPS My Choice to be able to schedule deliveries.
Have Your Packages Delivered to a More Secure Location
Installing a package lockbox near your mailbox, or even a more discreet non-locking box further away from the street, may be an option for your situation.In the event that you pick this option, you will need to speak with the delivery provider to verify that the shipment is delivered to the correct location.If you find that the majority of the deliveries you receive are from Amazon, you might want to consider purchasing an Amazon locker.Also, several convenience stores and supermarket stores provide a lockbox delivery service for their customers.
Get a Doorbell Camera to catch Porch Pirates
Despite the fact that doorbell cameras are not always the most effective theft deterrents due to their inconspicuous nature, they can make it possible to capture a thief in the act.While external security cameras may deter a burglar, doorbell cameras capture a clear image of their face, which may be used as evidence in court.They also offer the dual purpose of assisting you in keeping an eye on who is arriving and exiting from your home at any given time.In addition, if you make sure to acquire one with two-way audio, you’ll be able to react when someone rings your doorbell, regardless of whether or not you’re there.
Advertise Your Home Security System on Your Windows and In Your Yard
Installing a yard sign and some window stickers to advertise your home security system isn’t going to hurt. Thieves who are not ready to take the risk of being caught on video or setting off a motion detector alert may be deterred as a result.
How to prevent package theft in a home you own?
If you own your house, you may be able to take advantage of permanent relocation alternatives. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Invest in an anti-theft mailbox or a mailbox with a delivery slot connected to make your mailbox more secure.
- Install a parcel delivery box or a package drop-off box on your front porch to receive packages. Many choices are now available that are both aesthetically pleasing and useful.
- For increased protection, choose a box that can be bolted or attached to your porch or wall with screws.
- Hedgerows or plants can be added. Remember to ask that your gift be hidden behind this shrubbery by the delivery person.
- Smart locks can be used in conjunction with security cameras if you have a porch or garage that is distinct from your home, or if you have confidence in your delivery person.
- Indoor cameras are also useful in this situation since they allow you to monitor every step of the delivery procedure.
- Track your package’s progress and open your door when it comes, allowing the delivery person to drop it off inside.
How to prevent package theft in an apartment?
Due to the fact that many flats do not have porches, you will have to come up with less permanent alternatives for concealing goods.
- Package drops should be coordinated with your lease or management office.
- Ask if you may have a look at the package drop-off location while you’re taking a tour of the flat. If so, is it a public space that anybody may enter? Is there a locker room? If you get a large number of packages, it may be good to include this on your ″must-have″ list while searching for a new rental property.
- Inquire with your apartment complex if you may send packages to the complex’s office rather than to your actual unit.
- Blue by ADT provides a suite of home security choices that are suitable for apartment living, whether you choose a doorbell or an exterior camera to keep a watch on your property.
Install Outdoor Security Cameras
As previously said, outside cameras may be used to dissuade burglars as well as capture them in the process of stealing. A thief is far less likely to steal your item if they are aware that you will have video footage of them performing the crime if you install conspicuous outside security cameras in strategic locations.
ADT is one of the leading home security providers in the US.
Package theft is on the rise, but that doesn’t mean you have to sit back and hope you don’t become a victim.You may take a variety of steps to assist avoid package theft, which is especially important during the Christmas season.For example, you may sign up for delivery notifications, which will tell you of the current status of your product as well as when it will be delivered.Additionally, installing a security system will allow you to capture criminals in the act if they are caught.ADT is one of the most well-known and respected security companies in the world.
- Please get in touch with us for a free quote.
- We have home security systems, doorbell cameras, and outdoor security cameras that can assist you in protecting yourself against parcel theft right now!
Someone Stole My Amazon Package – What Can I Do?
The ease with which Amazon allows you to place your order is fantastic.Items may be mailed right to your home from the website, which sells just about anything you can think of.Having said that, the procedure of having products delivered to your home is not without its shortcomings.Delivery packages are frequently subjected to the potential of theft, especially if the recipient is not going to be home when the package is delivered.Throughout this piece, we’ll go through what you should do if someone steals your Amazon delivery, and we’ll also discuss various ways to assist you avoid future theft.
How Common Is Package Theft?
The results of a poll done by Shorr revealed that 31 percent of respondents had been the victim of parcel theft at least once.This is something that nearly one-third of the population is directly familiar with.It is possible that these figures are much higher in densely populated metropolitan regions such as New York, Seattle and San Francisco—but ″porch pirates″ are increasingly targeting suburban houses as well.Robbers are finding it simple to roll through communities and seize packages that have been left out in the open with little to no consequences (unless you count the occasional glitter bomb).Check out our blog post on Package Theft Statistics for more information on this rapidly rising problem.
Responding To Amazon Package Theft
In an ideal situation, you will be able to take actions to prevent theft from occurring in the first place. We’ll get to that point in a moment, but first, let’s talk about what you can do if someone steals your Amazon delivery from your doorstep. Follow these actions if someone has already taken advantage of you by stealing one or more parcels that were left on your doorstep.
1. Start with the delivery company.
It is likely that if a package has been marked as ″delivered″ but has not arrived on your front porch, you will assume that it has been stolen from there.That very well might be the case, but you need look into it a little more to be certain.The first step is to get in touch with the delivery company and question about the status of your product.To find out if your order has been shipped, look for a tracking number and contact the appropriate shipping company.Alternatively, it’s possible that your package was accidentally left behind in the truck or at the warehouse and is still in their possession.Take this step first because it is the quickest and most straightforward resolution if it turns out that there was no theft at all.
2. Contact the seller.
It is possible that many of the things you purchase on Amazon are really offered by third-party sellers who are using the Amazon platform to sell their merchandise.As a result, if you have verified that a theft has occurred, you should contact the seller and inquire for a replacement or a refund.Depending on the vendor, the outcome of this choice will differ from one to the next.It should be noted that vendors are not obligated to replace a stolen shipment, but some may opt to do so in specific circumstances.
3. File an Amazon stolen package claim.
The A-to-Z Guarantee is a service offered by Amazon that protects customers against purchasing items that are not as described.You might consider using this application if you are unable to obtain a satisfactory resolution from your merchant directly.There is often coverage offered here up to $2,500, so there’s a strong probability that this will be the extent of your legal recourse in this situation to resolve the situation.It’s important to note that Amazon will frequently ask you to contact the seller first and attempt to fix the issue through the seller.In addition, the A-Z Guarantee is only valid for products purchased from a third-party seller on the platform.If you have any problems with things you have purchased straight from Amazon, Amazon recommends that you contact their customer support department.
4. Credit card coverage.
If a third-party seller refuses to issue a refund or if your Amazon claim is denied, you may be able to obtain assistance from your credit card company.Transaction protection may or may not be available to you depending on the credit card you used to make the purchase on.When it comes to credit cards, the procedure you must follow differs from one to the next.Check with your credit card issuer to find out the intricacies of the procedure.Many credit card issuers, on the other hand, will have some method of canceling a payment in the event of fraud.A refund or replacement item might be a time-consuming process when you need one.
The odds are strong, though, that you will not be liable for any losses if you see the situation through to completion and submit all relevant documents.
Solutions To Prevent Theft
PARCELBIN Package Lock Box with a combination lock In order to avoid being forced to respond after a crime has occurred, it is more preferable to just prevent theft from occurring in the first instance.That may not appear to be a simple task, but it is more doable than you may believe.With a little forethought and forward thinking, you can ensure that burglars have little opportunity of stealing your hard-earned possessions and valuables.Consider the following steps to keep your packages safe from theft:
Plan ahead to be home.
Orders should be placed as early as feasible in the day so that the delivery can take place when you are there to accept the parcel if at all possible.For example, if you are utilizing Amazon’s two-day delivery service, you may place your purchase two days ahead of time on a day when you know you will be home.If you are present to receive the box directly from the delivery person when it arrives, a burglar will be unable to remove it from your porch.The main disadvantage of this approach is that you will be required to guarantee that you are there, which might be tough if you have a demanding schedule.
Deliver to the office instead.
You’re not going to be home and you don’t want to take the chance of having your shipment stolen.Instead of having your item delivered to your home, consider having it delivered to your workplace.Of course, this will not be acceptable to all companies, so you should check with your boss ahead of time to ensure that this is something that is permitted in your workplace.Also, keep in mind that the item will need to be transported back to your house, so large items that would not fit in your car would not be a good selection for this method of transportation.
Use a package lock box.
Another wonderful method for preventing porch pirates is to install a lock box on your front porch or in your garage.In a manner that no other solution can, your lock box can accept shipments on your behalf while you are away and keep them safe from unauthorized access.Of course, you’ll want to invest in a high-quality product that looks good in front of your house and is difficult to tamper with.This is when the PARCELBIN comes into play…
Consider The PARCELBIN Package Lock Box
Consider purchasing a PARCELBIN package lock box if you want to place orders from Amazon or other online sources without having to worry about theft or identity theft.When a PARCELBIN is in place, the delivery person will have a safe spot to leave the parcel at any time of day or night.When you go home, you may simply take the box out of the trash and put it back in the bin.Between the theft prevention and the protection from bad weather, this is a beautiful lock box that you will be pleased to have on your property.
Here’s what to do if your package gets stolen — and how to prevent it from happening
- If your stolen parcel was delivered by a major postal carrier such as the United States Postal Service, UPS, or FedEx, you should make a claim with the shipping firm responsible for the delivery.
- You might contact the shipper or seller to inquire about a possible replacement or refund if you know your box has been stolen.
- Consider also filing a police complaint for your stolen parcel, which can help your case if you ever decide to submit an insurance claim.
- Video doorbells, such as those made by Ring and Arlo, provide safety by discouraging or capturing thieves.
- To read more articles on technology, go to Business Insider’s Tech Reference library.
As more individuals work from home and the public becomes more aware of porch pirates, you might think that package thieves would think twice about taking something from outside someone’s front door.But that’s not the case.Packages, on the other hand, are frequently taken from people’s front steps, and criminals are becoming increasingly more cunning in their methods of doing so.When a box is stolen, it is a frightening and irritating trend, and if it is your first time having a parcel taken, you may be unclear of what to do next and where to turn.Nonetheless, there are actions you may take after your property has been taken in an attempt to recover it or possibly obtain a replacement for it.
What to do if your package gets stolen
As more individuals work from home and the public becomes more aware of porch pirates, you would think that package thieves would think twice about stealing something from outside someone’s front door.But that is not the case.Packages, on the other hand, are frequently taken from people’s front steps, and criminals are becoming increasingly inventive in their methods of theft.When a box is stolen, it is a distressing and irritating trend, and if it is your first experience with a stolen parcel, you may be unclear of what to do.However, if your property is stolen, there are procedures you may take to try to recover it or possibly obtain a replacement for your loss.
Contact the delivery carrier
The majority of big delivery firms have specialized processes in place to deal with stolen shipments, so contacting them is your best bet for resolving the situation. FedEx, UPS, the United States Postal Service, and Amazon all offer claims websites where you may tell them what occurred and they will try to assist you in getting your shipment back.
File a police report
Another option you have if you believe your shipment has been stolen is to make a police report with the authorities in your local area.Even if there are no witnesses, the police will likely be unable to do anything.However, if other people in your neighborhood also report robberies, the police will have more information and will be more likely to apprehend the perpetrators.Additionally, if you wind up needing to submit an insurance claim to be compensated for your stolen stuff, having a police record can help you out tremendously.
Contact the sender for a possible refund or replacement
The next step is to get in touch with the person who sent the items to you.If it’s a business, they may simply send a new box in response to an allegation that their delivery was never delivered or went missing – this is especially true for huge corporations such as Amazon.Others may not give you a replacement, but they may compensate you for the cost of the things you purchased in error.Make a note of your order number, tracking number, and any other pertinent information in case they require it to assist you.Although not every organization can afford such rules, some may nevertheless try to assist you or create an exception in your case, especially if you can supply them with evidence.If you have footage of the box being taken, that’s obviously beneficial, but it might also be beneficial if you have a notice of delivery to put in, so that the company can certify that a parcel was in fact delivered on their end of the chain of custody.
Install a video doorbell as a precautionary measure
Although video doorbells such as the Ring or Arlo do not require you to booby trap your front porch in order to be alerted when intruders approach, the devices’ motion-detected camera and microphone functions make it much easier to discourage and apprehend burglars.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
How to report a missing UPS package and file a claim online to earn a refund
How to report a missing USPS package, file a help request and submit a missing mail claim
How to track down a missing FedEx package by filing a claim
How to track a USPS order, get updates on your expected delivery, and find a missing package
How to track a UPS order, leave instructions for delivery, or find a missing package
How to track a FedEx order online or contact FedEx for delivery issues
In addition to her work as a freelance columnist for Insider, Melanie Weir is a technology expert who mostly writes for the Tech Reference section, but also contributes to the Lifestyle and Entertainment sections on a regular basis.Besides that, she works as a freelance writer for ScreenRant and as the Lead Weekend News Editor at TheThings.com, among other places.She spends her leisure time writing plays for both the theater and the cinema.She may be reached at [email protected] or through her professional network, LinkedIn.Insider Inc.earns a compensation if you make a purchase after clicking on one of our affiliate links.
How can you recoup your losses if an Amazon package is missing from your step?
Image courtesy of depositphotos.com
Q: I got a notification that my Amazon package had been delivered, but when I got home it wasn’t on my step. The contents were not inexpensive. What can I do?
A: There are few things more frustrating than impatiently anticipating a package delivery, only to get home and discover that it has not been delivered to your door, leaving you asking, ″Where has my Amazon box gone?″ Whatever the reason for the missing shipment, whether it’s a monthly delivery of routinely used supermarket goods or a terrific deal that allowed you to purchase something you otherwise couldn’t afford, it can produce a mixture of rage and anxiety.In some circumstances, the box has simply been picked up by a neighbor who is trying to be of assistance in your situation.Others, on the other hand, have made the decision to assist themselves to your possessions.In order to check the delivery status and obtain further information than what was provided in your delivery notice, you must first figure out how to track a product on Amazon.A challenge in the era of delivery is that there is no visible path of action—it is not like when you buy something in a store and have a customer care counter where you can lodge a complaint in person.However, there are some good initial measures to take to check that the shipment is indeed missing, and if it is, there are a few alternative ways to follow to ensure that your lost Amazon delivery gets refunded or replaced.
You may take steps to keep packages from being stolen from your premises.With a high-quality security system, you can keep your house, family, and belongings safe.Vivint’s professionally installed devices don’t simply alert you to potential dangers; they also assist you in preventing and deterring such threats.Take a look at the cameras and services offered by Vivint.
Ask your neighbors if they held on to it for you or if they saw someone pick it up.
Before you panic, call the individuals who live next door and ask them for help.It’s conceivable that a well-meaning neighbor noticed the item and were concerned that it may be stolen, so they to