- Track the package. If you suspect your package was stolen, the first thing you should do is check your purchase confirmation email for tracking information.
- Check if your neighbors saw it or held onto it for you. If you’ve verified that the item was delivered, check with your neighbors.
- Contact the seller or retailer. If it appears that your package has been stolen, contact the seller or retailer that sold you the item.
- File a claim with the shipping company. Sometimes, retailers try to shift responsibility to the shipping company or require you to file a complaint and wait a certain
- Use the purchase protection features on your credit card.
Whether you think your neighbor stole your parcel or someone else, you can frequently get a refund or a replacement from the sender or delivery company.
- Contact the Sender.
- Report It to FedEx, UPS or USPS.
- Report the package theft to Amazon.
- File a Police Report for the Stolen Package.
- Talk to Your Credit Card Company.
What to do if a package is stolen from USPS?
For USPS deliveries, you can file a mail theft complaint with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service. USPS will start your claims process. If your package came through another carrier, contact the sender of the package to initiate a trace process with UPS or FedEx.
Can I get a refund if my package is stolen?
Yes. If the USPS has checked their facilities, vehicles and have a record that your mail was delivered they are not liable to refund your shipping or replacement cost. At this point, you are a victim of mail or package theft, which is one of the fastest growing crimes in the U.S. Who can I report a stolen package too?
What happens if my package is lost or stolen ups?
All claims: Once you file a missing package claim, UPS will investigate. It’s difficult to find out if a package was lost or stolen. Regardless, all missing packages—for whatever reason—are handled this way. If you ordered the product, you should get in contact with the seller, since UPS will issue the refund to them. 6.
What should you do if you lose your package?
If they can’t help you track it down, they should be able to help you start an insurance claim for the package (or at least point you in the right direction), so you can recoup the cost of your lost item.
How to file a claim if your package is stolen?
What to do when packages are lost or stolen?
How do I report a stolen Amazon package?
Porch Pirates: 6 Steps to Take if Your Package Is Stolen
- According to a survey commissioned by ValuePenguin, nearly four out of every ten customers has had a package stolen before it could be delivered to them.
- While the quantity of deliveries increases over the Christmas season, this data serves as a reminder to consumers that package theft is a widespread problem throughout the year, regardless of the season.
- If you’ve been unfortunate enough to have a parcel stolen from your front door, here’s what you should do to recover your package.
What to do if a package is stolen from your porch
If your mail has been stolen, you must follow these procedures in order to be paid or to get a substitute item.
Step 1: Track the package
- First and foremost, if you have reason to believe your product has been stolen, you should look for tracking information in the email you received upon purchase.
- Typically, you will be provided with a tracking number, which you may use to keep track on the progress of your order throughout shipment.
- Sometimes all you need to do is click on this number or button, but other times you may need to copy the number and input it on the retailer’s or shipping company’s website, depending on the situation.
- For shipments to be delayed, especially during high shipping seasons such as the holidays, this is to be expected.
The shipment status will inform you of the location where your package was last recorded as well as the date on which it was delivered to the shipping destination.If the item is indicated as having been delivered, go to step 2.Otherwise, proceed to step 3.
Step 2: Check if your neighbors saw it or held onto it for you
- Check with your neighbors to see if the item has been delivered once you’ve verified that it has.
- It’s humiliating to lash out at a customer service agent only to realize that the sweet lady next door noticed your shipment and grabbed it to save it from being stolen or rained on while you were away.
- Even if they don’t have your package, it’s possible that your neighbors saw it earlier in the day and are unaware of it.
Step 3: Contact the seller or retailer
- Immediately notify the vendor or shop that sold you the goods if it looks that your shipment has been stolen or misplaced.
- When it comes to dealing with stolen property, different merchants have different rules and procedures in place, but you are normally entitled to a refund or a replacement.
- Amazon’s ″A-to-Z Guarantee Protection″ provides coverage for the majority of stolen packages.
- Purchases that are labeled as ″fulfilled by Amazon″ are sometimes derived from retail partners known as ″Amazon Sellers,″ rather than from Amazon itself.
- (You should be aware of this at the time you place your purchase for the item).
- It is mandatory for you to contact the Amazon Seller in order to try to resolve the issue with them if this is the situation with your purchase, according to Amazon.
You may make a claim with Amazon if you’ve waited more than two business days for a response or if the seller is being unhelpful.Amazon would most likely offer a refund in this case, as well.In many circumstances, stores will agree to send you a new item within a short period of time.However, if they refuse to accept responsibility and give a replacement, there are still certain actions you may take to obtain recompense.
Step 4: File a claim with the shipping company
- Occasionally, stores may attempt to transfer responsibility to the shipping provider or will need you to make a complaint and wait a specific number of days before learning for definite whether your shipment will or will not be delivered.
- If you find yourself in this situation, you may wish to submit a claim with the shipping business as well, just to be safe.
- UPS, FedEx, the United States Postal Service, and DHL all have online claims processes that you may use to report your lost item, and you can also call them to report your missing item.
Step 5: Use the purchase protection features on your credit card
- When you use a credit card to make a purchase, many issuers will provide purchase protection that will repay you if an item is stolen.
- This is true as long as the item was paid wholly with that credit card and the card issuer is contacted within a certain timeframe.
- Check the website of your credit card provider to see whether this coverage is available and to learn how to make a claim.
- Some credit card providers, however, do not provide coverage for high-value products (usually anything that is worth more than $500 to $1,000).
- Depending on the company, they may ask you to submit a police complaint before they can issue your refund.
- Finally, credit card purchase protection is sometimes referred to as ″secondary coverage,″ which indicates that it only kicks in after you’ve previously used main coverage, such as homeowner’s or renters insurance, to safeguard your purchases.
This takes us to the sixth step.
Step 6: Claim high-value items with your homeowners insurance
- The majority of homeowners and renters insurance plans include coverage for stolen shipments.
- Unfortunately, this is only beneficial for items that are more valuable than your deductible.
- Given that the majority of homes insurance deductibles range between $500 and $2,000, submitting a claim for the majority of stolen shipments will be a waste of time.
- However, even if the value of the lost item exceeds the deductible, you’ll need to consider the risk that your homes insurance provider would raise your rates as a result of your claim, not to mention the inconvenience of submitting the claim itself.
How to prevent package theft
When a package is stolen, it may be quite stressful, and the claims procedure can be much more unpleasant. If you wish to reduce the likelihood of losing shipments while you’re away from home, consider the following solutions for protecting your packages while you’re gone.
Schedule for in-person delivery
- The most effective method of preventing mail theft is to personally accept your shipments.
- To do this, either notify your postal service business that you require a signature for delivery or arrange for your mail to be carried to a location where someone is constantly on hand.
- Consider asking a neighbor if they would be willing to accept delivery if you are frequently away from home.
- Alternatively, if it is acceptable to your business and your shipment is modest, you can choose your office as the delivery destination.
Use a lockbox service
- When using a service such as Amazon Locker, you may have goods delivered to a lockbox, which will help to prevent mail from being stolen.
- In addition, several supermarket and convenience stores provide this sort of service, or you may have your box delivered to your local UPS or USPS center and pick it up when you get to that location.
- A combination-protected lockbox that stands on your doorstep and safeguards your parcels until you return home is an option if you prefer a shorter journey than driving to the post office.
Insure your packages
Whenever you purchase a high-value item online, such as a new iPhone or iPad, spend a few additional dollars for delivery insurance to protect your investment. Typically, you may accomplish this either directly with the seller or through the delivery company.
Install a security camera
- There are various low-cost home security cameras that are simple to install around the perimeter of your property, including bullet cameras.
- Most of these cameras are compatible with your WiFi network and even have a smartphone app, allowing you to keep track of parcels left during the day.
- The sheer appearance of these cameras may be enough to deter would-be porch pirates, but even if it isn’t, you’ll still have proof to use as the basis for a police report if necessary.
- As an extra benefit, adding these cameras may entitle you to a reduction on your homes insurance.
What is the value of stolen packages, and what steps have been taken by consumers?
- In accordance with a survey commissioned by ValuePenguin, parcel theft has touched more than 40% of all Americans at some time during their lives. More than 5 out of 10 buyers reported having more than one package stolen in the previous 12 months, resulting in an average loss of $106 per home in that time period. When applied to the total number of households in the United States as determined by the Census Bureau, these averages show that porch piracy cost U.S. consumers more than $7.4 billion in the previous year: In the last year, there were an estimated 144 million victims
- the average loss per home was $106
- and the estimated value of stolen products in the last year was $7.4 billion.
- Despite the high number of burglaries, over three-quarters of Americans said they have done nothing to safeguard their deliveries against theft in the future — including more than half of respondents over the age of 55 who said they have done nothing.
- It is estimated that nearly two out of every three robberies occurred directly outside the victims’ houses, thus it is wise to take several safeguards to deter bold would-be burglars.
What Happens If My Packages are Stolen?
- With the advent of Black Friday and the Christmas season, there will almost certainly be an uptick in the number of parcels taken from your porch.
- Porch Pirates will closely follow a delivery vehicle and seize the item as soon as the driver is no longer visible on the road.
- According to a research by August Home Inc, approximately 11 million homes in the United States have had a package stolen in the last year.
- With each passing year, the amount of Christmas shipping that is done online grows.
- Nearly 70% of homes expect to get parcels over the Christmas season, with three out of five customers receiving more deliveries during this period of time than at any other time of the year, according to the National Retail Federation.
- What steps should you take to keep your shipments safe, and what should you do if you become a victim of a porch pirate?
Several solutions are available to you if your box has been successfully delivered but subsequently stolen from your front porch.If you receive a package through the United States Postal Service, you can submit a complaint with the United States Postal Inspection Service.The United States Postal Service will begin the claims procedure for you.If your shipment was delivered by a different carrier, you should contact the sender of the package to begin the tracking procedure with UPS or FedEx.The sender will then contact you to provide an update on the status of your shipment.
- Notify your local police agency about the theft by calling them on their phone number.
- Theft protection is provided by several credit card issuers, including American Express, for users who charge a covered purchase that is later discovered to be stolen.
- If you have any questions about the coverage, you should contact your credit card company.
1. Security camera
- There will undoubtedly be an uptick in the number of parcels taken from your porch as Black Friday and the Christmas season approach.
- Porch Pirates will closely follow a delivery vehicle and seize the item as soon as the driver is no longer visible on the road ahead.
- According to a research by August Home Inc, approximately 11 million homes in the United States had had a package stolen in the last year.
- ‘ With each passing year, the amount of Christmas shipping that is done online increases.
- This Christmas season, almost 70% of homeowners anticipate receiving parcels, with three out of five customers receiving more packages during this period of time than at any other time of the year.
- What steps should you take to keep your shipments safe, and what should you do if you become a victim of a package theft?
Several solutions are available to you if your box has been delivered correctly but subsequently stolen from your front porch.A mail theft complaint can be filed with the United States Postal Inspection Service if you receive a delivery from the United States Postal Service.Your claim will be initiated by the United States Postal Service.It is necessary to contact the sender of the shipment in order to begin the tracking procedure with UPS or FedEx if your product was delivered by another shipping company.When your package has been sent, the sender will contact you to let you know how it is progressing.
- Inform the authorities of the theft by contacting your local police station.
- Theft protection is offered by several credit card issuers, including American Express, for users who charge a covered purchase that is later discovered to be stolen.
- You should check with your credit card company for information on their coverage.
2. UPS access point delivery
- Thousands of local businesses, including neighborhood convenience stores, supermarkets, dry cleaners, and other businesses, participate in the UPS Access Point network, which provides package pickup and drop off for packages.
- Each of the 4,400 UPS Store locations around the country is a member of the network.
- If you want to pick up your items, you must provide a government-issued picture ID with your last name and full address on it that matches the information on the package.
- Bringing evidence of residence that matches the package’s mailing address is required if the address on the ID does not match that on the package’s mailing address (like a current utility bill).
- If the last name or complete address does not match, you will be required to submit the package tracking number to the UPS Access Point employee, as well as the parcel release code issued by the shipping company.
3. Amazon Locker
- Amazon.com also provides an alternative to traditional home delivery services.
- Instead of entering a shipping address during the checkout process, choose to have your order delivered to an Amazon Locker.
- This is a self-service kiosk that allows you to schedule a later time to pick up your item from.
- You’ll receive an e-mail notification after your box has been delivered to the Amazon Locker, which will include a unique pickup code as well as the address and hours of operation for the Locker location you selected.
- Pickup of all packages delivered to Amazon Locker locations must occur within three business days of the delivery.
4. UPS My Choice
UPS My Choice is a free service that allows recipients to have greater choice over their delivery. More information may be found here.
Declared Value Coverage (Shipping Insurance)
- FedEx, UPS, and the United States Postal Service (USPS) all provide additional declared value coverage, with the first two carriers giving up to $100 in free coverage with ground and express services, respectively.
- It is possible for shippers to lower the cost of extra insurance coverage by looking into alternative insurance choices that are available to them.
- U-Pic is a shipping insurance firm that provides coverage for goods that are transported by the major shipping companies around the world, including the United States.
- Shippers of all sizes may save up to 85 percent on shipping insurance and parcel insurance by using the shipping insurance and parcel insurance coupons.
- UPS, FedEx, USPS, and DHL are all accessible for delivery.
- When it comes to misplaced parcels, U-PIC never demands a police complaint.
Shipping Insurance Best Practices
- One of the finest practices for making a claim is to make sure that all necessary papers are submitted at the time of filing the claim.
- To list a few more particular recommended practices, here are a few examples: – It is always best practice to present both the buyer’s statement of loss/damage as well as the invoice when filing a claim.
- If the claim is for a damaged item, make sure that either the shipper or recipient retains possession of the package until the claim is handled.
- Make use of U-24/7 PIC’s Claim Status website to keep track of the status of your claim.
- Brian Gibbs is the founder and president of Refund Retriever.
- Refund Retriever was started in 2006 by Brian Gibbs, who was running his first eBay-based business at the time and was frustrated by the inefficiencies of other shipment auditing businesses.
The auditing of FedEx and UPS parcel invoices is the major emphasis of Refund Retriever.After earning his bachelor’s degree from Texas A&M University in 2001, he went on to earn his JD and MBA from the University of Houston in 2004.He has been published in Forbes, Entrepreneur Magazine, and a variety of other media, where he has spoken on package auditing, shipping, e-commerce, and other topics.Call (800) 441-8085 for additional information or to find out more about the program.
What To Do If A Package Is Stolen USPS
- Losing a parcel is a pain in the neck!
- Additionally, the process of replacing those products and recouping part of the loss is unpleasant.
- The Package Guard Guide to a Lost or Stolen United States Postal Service Package was established to address this issue.
- In an effort to make navigating the system a bit easier, we’re here to assist you with anything from initiating a Missing Mail Search to making a claim.
- Pro tip: stay away from the United States Postal Service website.
- You can find all of the information you need to file a claim on the USPS website, but let’s be honest: nobody has the time to read through it all.
This is why we prepared the comprehensive guide to help you save time and avoid hassles in the future!A step-by-step guide to coping with a lost or stolen United States Postal Service parcel.Make certain that you maintain all of your records and that you have all of the information you require in advance.The following documents are required: receipts; tracking information; a description of the product; shipping dates; and documentation of any damage or value.This will assist you in moving through the procedure more easily, but don’t waste any time since you must make the claim within 60 days of receiving the missing shipment to be eligible for compensation.
- Inquire with the vendor to see if they would reship or refund your order.
- We believe that the first step in any situation involving a shipment that has been lost or stolen is to establish communication between the shipper and the recipient.
- A lost or stolen parcel may be recovered from all major delivery providers and some online shops; organizations such as Amazon provide an excellent customer experience.
If your USPS box was shipped by Amazon, you should first contact them.Is it time to file a missing mail search or an insurance claim?How can I get started?If your item was insured, you are eligible for both a Missing Mail Search and an Insurance Claim for the contents that have been damaged or lost.If you haven’t purchased insurance, your only choice at this point is to do a Missing Mail Search.If it is established that your item was lost or damaged, you would be able to file a claim for a reimbursement of shipping costs.
USPS Claim Details
- What is covered in a USPS Claim?
- If your delivery was insured, the United States Postal Service’s claim procedure would pay the expenses of transportation as well as the value of the product, up to the amount indicated.
- If you did not have insurance, but a Missing Mail Search concluded that your package had been lost or damaged, you can file a claim to have the shipping costs reimbursed.
- For insurance-related claims, you can make a claim at any time between 0 and 60 days after the occurrence of the event.
- What would happen if I didn’t purchase insurance?
- Unfortunately, if your cargo was delivered first class and you did not purchase insurance, you will be out of luck.
I apologize for any inconvenience.All the United States Postal Service will do for you is do a Missing Mail Search.Contents that are damaged or missing.It is possible that your package may arrive, but that the contents will be damaged or missing.While a claim isn’t exactly what we’re talking about here, it is the following stage in your legal process.
- In order to file a claim with USPS, you must provide photographic documentation of the damage.
- A repair estimate or a sales receipt, if the item has to be replaced, might be included in this document.
- (Also, if feasible, provide estimates for repair expenses.) Shipping fees will be refunded.
Don’t forget that the United States Postal Service (USPS) offers delivery guarantees on several of its services.Express Mail, for example, with a guaranteed arrival time of 10:30 a.m.the next day.You have the right to register a claim if your package does not arrive on time!Claim on a global scale.International claims are handled differently than domestic claims since they need the participation and coordination of the post office of another country.
Any foreign claim must be initiated by a postal sender situated in the United States.In addition, depending on the level of service, the sole recourse may be a refund of the postage paid.
Missing Mail by the USPS
- Is it possible to locate the missing mail?
- When you have reason to believe a package has been lost or stolen, the first thing you should do is to initiate a Missing Mail Search.
- This is exactly what it sounds like it should be.
- The United States Postal Service (USPS) will begin scanning its sort facilities and vehicles in an attempt to locate your delivery.
- When will I be able to begin my search?
- The United States Postal Service will force you to hurry up and wait.
You must wait until at least seven days after the mailing date before canceling your order.It is possible to conduct a Missing Mail Search if the item is still missing after seven days.Check to see if the products you’re shipping are legal to send.If your box contains goods that were not permitted to be transported, such as narcotics, firearms, perishables, or dangerous chemicals, you will be unable to initiate a Missing Mail Search for them.You shouldn’t have attempted to transport those items in the first place…no, seriously, don’t do it again.
- Start an online search for misplaced mail.
- Create a missingmail.usps.com account by visiting the website.
- Hopefully, this doesn’t happen too often, and you don’t have a problem with this.
Prepare to input the shipping date, the tracking number (if you have one), and a description of the package and its contents into the computer.The Search for the Answers continues!The United States Postal Service will look for your parcel and decide whether or not it was delivered.After receiving notification that the parcel has been located, USPS will either return the package to the sender or deliver it to the receiver, depending on your preferences.What happens if they claim that it was delivered or that it cannot be located?If the United States Postal Service concludes that the parcel was delivered, you will be required to handle it as a stolen shipment.
If USPS is unable to locate your package, you will be required to file a claim for your loss.
How to Start a Missing Mail Search
- Please double-check your tracking number before beginning the Missing Mail Search.
- First and foremost, you’ll want to double-check the status of your parcel before you begin your Missing Mail Search.
- Seven days after the things have been despatched, it is possible to start a Missing Mail Search for them.
- Confirm the mail date and make sure you are seven days into the future before sending the letter.
- Create a search for undeliverable mail.
- You will need both the sender’s and the receiver’s postal addresses in order to begin the search.
The USPS will also want the size and type of envelope or box that was used to ship the package, as well as the mailing date and tracking number.Providing a detailed description of the contents can aid in the identification of lost mail and can be useful if you are attempting to seek a refund for damaged or missing products.Keep in mind that the Jpegs or PDFs must be less than 2MB in size in order to be uploaded.What should I do now that the Mail Search has been created?The United States Postal Service will provide periodic updates on the search’s progress.
- We were unable to determine when these updates are delivered; nevertheless, our best assumption is that they are sent on a case-by-case basis.
- They were able to locate my mail!
- If this occurs, you are no longer in danger.
The United States Postal Service (USPS) will forward the mail or item to the address given.Keep in mind that this will only occur if the box has not been severely damaged during the delivery procedure.They may discover the missing letter, but the damage may prohibit them from passing it to you.Request a refund of your money!Express or Priority Mail refunds can be requested if your mail or shipment was shipped using these services.Using these services, you may receive a money-back assurance that your things will be delivered and arrive on time.
Were you able to purchase insurance?If this is the case, you should make a claim as soon as possible.We go into further depth about the claim procedure further down on this page.Keep in mind that you may only register a claim up to 60 days after the package was sent.
How to file a USPS Claim
- Who is eligible to submit a claim?
- Was it insured, in the event that it was lost?
- Filing a claim will not be of any use if your mail does not have insurance, unless you have already gone through a Missing Mail Search process.
- Make careful to keep your receipt because it will serve as proof of your insurance coverage.
- If the tracking number is provided, the Post Office may be able to verify insurance.
- Is it possible that it was damaged before it was delivered?
The process of filing a claim for a damaged parcel is extremely straightforward.You can file a claim if your item was insured and the USPS personnel damaged it while it was in their control.A claim would pay you for your loss.Keep in mind that you will want proof of value or an estimate of the cost to repair the things that have been damaged in order to file a claim.Log in to your account.
- Following that, you may begin your Online Claim.
- This will necessitate the use of your USPS account login information (or create one).
- USPS will investigate your claim and, if they determine that it is suitable, they will reimburse you for both the value of your shipment and the cost of delivery.
This procedure might take up to a month to complete.Keep your fingers crossed for the best outcome.Were you the one who shipped or the one who received it?You will be required to complete the online claim by filling in the blank address information.You will also need to provide a detailed description of the objects that have been lost or destroyed.It is necessary to provide evidence of value.
The claim form will include the option to submit a 2mb Jpeg or PDF file to demonstrate the evidence of value.Sales receipts, invoices, and electronic receipts for online transactions are all examples of documents that can be delivered.There are other items they will require; simply hover your cursor over the information button in the claims form to see a list of them.Dashboard for Claims.
- Your USPS account will maintain track of all of the claims that have been submitted in the past.
- If you ship and receive a large number of packages, this will be the location where you will manage all of your claims.
- A memorable nickname will aid you in recalling the whereabouts of misplaced or damaged objects in the future.
- Visit the claims page or the FAQ section.
- The claim history page is available in your USPS account and is the only location where you can view the information and current status of your claims.
- Alternatively, if your claim is refused or the amount of money paid is insufficient, you can file an appeal through the claims website.
- Wishing you the best of luck!
Congratulations, You filed your claim. What’s Next?
- Packages or mail that has been determined to have been delivered are listed here.
- Keep in mind that if the United States Postal Service (USPS) can establish that the parcel was delivered, you will not be able to submit a claim with them since they have completed their half of the agreement.
- Is this a sign that I have been a victim of Package Theft?
- It is not the responsibility of the USPS to pay your shipping or replacement costs if they have thoroughly investigated their facilities and trucks and have a record showing that your mail was successfully delivered.
- You have now become a victim of mail or package theft, which is one of the fastest rising crimes in the United States at this moment.
Who can I contact in order to report a stolen package?You have the right to register a complaint with the United States Postal Inspector.The United States Postal Service maintains a police squad that investigates mail theft.A police report may also be filed with the authorities in your city or county.Keep in mind that this is not an emergency situation, and that you should submit your report online or by calling the non-emergency phone number.
- What exactly does a report do for me?
- While neither of these alternatives will help you, you will receive your box back; however, they will aid law enforcement in their efforts to better understand and track crime statistics in your neighborhood.
- It is necessary to submit one of these reports in order to file a claim if you have purchased third-party package insurance or if your homeowner’s insurance covers it.
What can I do to make sure this doesn’t happen again?Package Guard has created a list of things that you may use or purchase that may help avoid this from happening in the future.Look no farther than our easy comparative guide to all of the available parcel theft prevention options.
What to Do If You Have a Lost or Stolen Package
- Continue to the main content Expert in security, safety, and technology reporting More information can be found at http://www.nytimes.com/news/business/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/business-news/ Packages might go misplaced from time to time.
- We have to admit that most of the time when you’re looking for a lost package, it’s because someone has taken it from your front door and taken off.
- Almost 26 million shipments were stolen in the United States in 2017.
- ¹ You can follow these methods to get your package stolen back, track down the burglar, or frighten off porch pirates before they do their heinous act of vandalism.
- To see more videos like this one, make sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Learn how to keep your house, your loved ones, yourself, and your valuables safe from harm’s way.
Here’s what to do if a package is stolen
Keep yourself safe! Subscribing to SafeWise’s weekly email is free of charge. Get the latest information about safety news, product launches, and special offers.
What to do if your package is stolen
- If you have a genuine suspicion that you have been hit by a porch pirate and that something has been taken from your stoop, call the authorities and submit a police complaint for the stolen parcel with the police department where you live.
- If there are no witnesses, they will be powerless to prevent the incident, but they will make a record of it.
- Keep in mind to give the cops any film you have from your doorbell camera if you have it.
- You should also inform them of the time the delivery provider said your box was delivered and the time you discovered it had gone missing.
- The police will be more likely to investigate and apprehend the package thieves if they hear from other people in your neighborhood who are experiencing the same difficulties as you.
- Filing a police report may also be beneficial if you want to file an insurance claim for the delivery that was not received.
Watch out for post-pandemic porch pirates
- Package theft increased dramatically across the country, from Buffalo, New York, to Eugene, Oregon, as more people were compelled to purchase online as a result of the outbreak. And the epidemic porch pirates came up with some ingenious solutions. Theft of packages was committed by a group of women in Kennewick, Washington, who disguised themselves as nurses. Another package thief struck in Pennsylvania, this time stealing the ashes of a loved one off the doorstep. Even if the epidemic is slowing down, we recommend that you exercise greater caution. Keep track of each and every package
- Take delivery of items as soon as you receive a delivery notification
- check to see if your video doorbell or security camera is sending you motion alerts
- use delivery lockers if you have the option
- The majority of the time, a misplaced shipment is something you specifically requested. If this is the case, you should contact the vendor and inform them that your product has not been delivered as expected. Is the seller liable for packages that have been stolen? Maybe. It all depends on the website where you made your purchase and the policies that are in place on that site. You could wish to inquire with the company’s customer care department. In my experience, firms who send out a replacement immediately quickly, without any questions asked, have a high rate of success. However, not every firm will provide you with a replacement item or a refund for your purchase. Keep any evidence that supports your allegation in a safe place. If you receive a notification of delivery, but the package is not where it was supposed to be, take a photo of the situation.
- Keep a record of your order confirmation number and any other information that can assist the company in tracking down your purchase.
- Keep track of delivery numbers and information to provide along to the firm so that it can contact the courier on your behalf.
If the stolen parcel was sent by a friend or family, notify them that it has not been delivered as scheduled.. They can get in touch with the vendor or the courier to see if they can figure out what went wrong.
3. How do I report a stolen package to Amazon?
- Amazon is well-known for its lightning-fast Prime shipping and its ″no questions asked″ mentality, which is essentially true.
- If the tracking information for an Amazon delivery indicates that it was delivered, but you are unable to locate it, you should be able to obtain a refund rather quickly and simply.
- After 36 hours have gone since the estimated delivery date of the stolen Amazon shipment, you should call Amazon to report the theft.
- If your products are delivered late, the shipping company will normally reimburse your account for the inconvenience.
- You won’t have to worry about dealing with third-party merchants (or even their own services) because the corporation will manage everything for you.
4. How do I report a stolen FedEx package?
- FedEx makes it simple to file a claim for a misplaced shipment.
- If you bought or mailed something from the United States via FedEx, you may make a FedEx stolen parcel claim online to get your goods back.
- FedEx is also a rather quick delivery service.
- In most cases, claims are resolved within five to seven business days of being filed.
- When it comes to filing a claim for damaged or missing materials, you’ll have 60 calendar days to do so as either the sender or the recipient.
- For lost item claims, you’ll have up to nine months to file them.
However, make sure to save all packaging and evidence in case FedEx want to inspect them.
5. How do I report a stolen package to UPS?
- In the event of a shipment being lost or stolen, UPS provides varying insurance based on whether your package was sent within the United States or worldwide.
- For domestic shipments, if you place an order and it doesn’t arrive, you won’t be able to make a missing package claim until 24 hours after the delivery was meant to arrive.
- Product claims for items acquired from outside the United States are more difficult to process.
- You will not be able to register a claim for certain items, and it may be difficult to obtain a refund or replacement for them.
- All of the assertions are as follows: UPS will examine your claim for a lost shipment as soon as you file it.
- It might be difficult to determine if a shipment has been misplaced or stolen.
Regardless, all undeliverable shipments, for whatever reason, are dealt with in this manner.If you ordered the merchandise, you need get in touch with the vendor, since UPS would give the refund to them instead of the purchaser.
6. Contact USPS about a stolen package
- Because it is more difficult to submit a claim with the USPS than it is with other carriers, parcels stolen or lost by the USPS can be more difficult to track down than goods lost by other carriers. While the company’s procedure for reimbursing damaged parcels is well defined, the procedure for reimbursing stolen mail is not. If your parcel was mailed and delivered by the United States Postal Service, but it has not arrived, you will need to make a claim. Prepare the tracking number in advance
- Be prepared to present proof of insurance coverage.
- If at all feasible, obtain documentation demonstrating the item’s worth.
If your shipment has been stolen and there is evidence, you should snap photographs and submit them as evidence as well. If your item was insured by the United States Postal Service, you should be able to request a reimbursement straight from USPS. Generally speaking, if your shipment was stolen by the USPS, you should be able to get a replacement or a refund through the vendor.
What you can do to prevent package theft (or track down those porch pirates!)
- You should take use of whatever cameras you have, whether they be doorbell cameras or outside security cameras.
- If a shipment is not delivered as promised, keep an eye out for it on video.
- The parcel may be checked to see if it was delivered by the carrier or if it was taken by someone else.
- If you see a theft, you should contact your local police station.
- Alternatively, if you can demonstrate that no one ever showed up at your door, the carrier (if you’re the shipper) or shipper (if you’re the recipient) will be required to repay you the money you paid.
- Installing a camera on your porch will provide you with proof of delivery or theft.
These days, there is a wide selection of smart doorbells and home security cameras to choose from.Some use applications to give out fast notifications, while others just capture video footage.
2. Shine a light on the situation
Porch pirates like to remain hidden in the shadows. Install a motion-activated light on your porch to deter burglars from entering your home. Motion light and security camera combinations are also available on the market. You’ll have a visually stunning deterrent as well as a method to catch the perpetrators in the act.
Tell us about your lost or stolen package experience
- Being a victim of package theft is never enjoyable, and dealing with defective carriers is even worse.
- We hope that this guidance will assist you in taking precautionary actions, obtaining a refund, or obtaining a replacement as fast as possible.
- If you have any tips on how to recover a misplaced or stolen parcel, please share them with us in the comments section below!
- It’s always beneficial to hear first-person recollections of events.
Related pages on SafeWise
Compare the best home security systems
|Brand||Best for||Lowest monitoring price||Starter equipment price||Contract required||Smart home compatibility||Learn more||Read review|
|Vivint||Best overall||$29.99/mo.||$0 due up-front with consumer financing.″>$599.00||No No-contract options available with outright equipment purchase. ″>*||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View packages||Read review|
|Frontpoint||High-end DIY pick||$34.99/mo.||$129.00||No||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View packages||Read review|
|SimpliSafe||Reader favorite||$17.99/mo.||$229.00||No||Amazon,Google||View packages||Read review|
|Cove||Best customer experience||$14.99/mo.||Quote required||No No-contract options available with outright equipment purchase. ″>*||Amazon,Google||View packages||Read review|
|ADT||Most experienced||$27.99/mo.||With $99 installation charge and new monitoring agreement. Early termination fee applies. $27.99/mo. price applies to landline monitoring only. Some restrictions apply. See full disclaimer for full offer details, terms, and conditions.″>$0.00||Yes||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View packages||Read review|
|Abode||Best DIY automation||$20.00/mo.||$279.00||No||Amazon, Apple, Google, Z-Wave, Zigbee||View packages||Read review|
|Ring||Best outdoor cameras||$20.00/mo.||$199.99||No||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View on Amazon||Read review|
|Blue by ADT||Best optional monitoring||$19.99/mo.||$199.15||No||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View Packages||Read review|
|Wyze||Best budget pick||$4.99/mo.||$85.98||No||Amazon,Google||View on Amazon||Read review|
|Brinks||Most safety sensor options||$39.99/mo.||$199.00||Yes||Amazon,Google,Z-Wave||View packages||Read review|
- Products are priced and made available according to current market conditions as of the date/time specified and are subject to change.
- If a product is listed at a lower price or is no longer available, the lower price and availability information will apply to the purchase of this product.
- Safewise.com makes use of Amazon affiliate links that are compensated.
- The Amazon website provides some of the material that appears on this site.
- Please note that this content is supplied ″as-is″ and that it is subject to alteration or removal at any moment without notice.
- Rebecca Edwards has written an article.
Rebecca is the chief safety reporter and in-house expert at SafeWise.com.She has worked in the industry for over a decade.She has worked as a writer and blogger for more than 25 years, with the last eight years devoted to issues of home and community safety.Month after month, Rebecca spends dozens of hours combing over crime records and detecting trends.Her safety expertise is in high demand by periodicals, broadcast journalists, non-profit organizations, podcasts, and other media outlets, among other things.
- Among the publications that have featured her professional advice and analysis are TechCrunch, The Washington Post, The Chicago Tribune, The Miami Herald, NPR, HGTV, MSN, Reader’s Digest, and Real Simple, in addition to an ever-growing archive of radio and television clips.
- Return to the top of the page
What to Do If Your Amazon Package Is Stolen
Every editorial product is chosen on its own merits, while we may be compensated or earn an affiliate commission if you purchase something after clicking on one of our affiliate links. As of the time of writing, the ratings and pricing are correct, and all goods are in stock.
Porch pirates are swiping Amazon packages left and right, and you might be the next victim. Take these steps if your Amazon package is stolen or lost.
- Amazon has made buying more convenient than ever, yet a misplaced or stolen Amazon box may be a major hassle for the recipient.
- Furthermore, as the popularity of online shopping grows, so does the possibility of being a victim of package theft.
- According to a Value Penguin poll, nearly one in every five Americans reported having their goods stolen last year.
- Steve Weisman, a professor of white-collar crime at Bentley University and author of The Truth About Avoiding Scams, says the number of victims of porch pirates has increased significantly during the pandemic.
- ″As could be expected, with more people shopping online during the pandemic, the number of victims of porch pirates has increased significantly during this time.″ Find out all you need to know about tracking down a misplaced parcel or making a claim with Amazon to hopefully get your money back if you suspect your shipment has been stolen or lost in the mail.
- In addition, regular online consumers should be aware of what to do if a product is damaged, how to receive a refund on anything, what a brushing scam is, and what happens to undeliverable mail that does not have an address to return it to.
How to track down a missing Amazon package that’s listed as “delivered”
- According to Weisman, you may discover extra information on Amazon under ″Your Orders″ that will assist you in tracking down a stolen or missing shipment that seems to have been delivered on your Amazon account. He proposes that you take the following actions: Make sure the shipping address is correct. It’s possible that the shipment was delivered to a different address associated with your Amazon account.
- Look for a message that a delivery attempt has been made. If you requested that a signature be obtained upon delivery and no one was present, it is possible that the product was moved to a nearby location for pickup.
- Look for a photograph of the package being delivered. Sometimes Amazon delivery drivers would place the box in a difficult-to-find position
- this is known as ″hidden delivery.″
If you are still unable to locate it, it is time to file a missing parcel complaint with Amazon. For further instructions, scroll down to the section labeled ″How to report a missing shipment from a third-party seller on Amazon″ towards the bottom of this page.
How to find missing packages that aren’t trackable
- Amazon deliveries without a tracking number are extremely unusual, although they can be found. The following are some steps you may take if your Amazon delivery has gone missing and there is no tracking number for it. Inquire with your neighbors to see whether they received the lost box by mistake or if they accepted it on your behalf.
- If the parcel was delivered by the United States Postal Service, you should contact your local post office for assistance. Weisman points out that USPS delivery vans are equipped with GPS, which might reveal more information on the delivery.
- Verify whether or not the package was taken by checking the security cameras surrounding your property, if you have them installed.
In case you’re wondering, this is what happens to undeliverable mail when it’s not delivered.
How to report a missing package from a third-party seller on Amazon
- Rd.com If your Amazon delivery hasn’t arrived within 48 hours, you should make a claim with Amazon to receive a reimbursement for your inconvenience. However, according to Weisman, you must first contact the third-party vendor directly in order to report the problem. Customer service representatives at Amazon insist that consumers contact the vendor before registering a claim on the website. You can report missing shipments from an online third-party vendor in the following ways: Create an account on Amazon and go to ″Your Orders.″
- Activate the ″Amazon Pay″ menu option in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Click on ″Details″ next to the item that has been lost or stolen
- Choose ″Where has my stuff gone?″ from the list of suggested concerns to report from the drop-down menu.
- Amazon will automatically send a communication to the seller informing them that you have not received your products as of the time of writing. Any further information that the seller may require might be included in the message after it has been written.
- Select the ″Send to merchant″ option from the drop-down menu.
- In the majority of circumstances, the vendor will examine the missing shipment and either replace it or refund the purchase price. However, if the seller does not react within 24 hours, you have the option of filing a claim with Amazon.
Depending on whether or not the shipment in issue contains a gift, you may want to look at this list of last-minute presents that will arrive in time for the big day while you figure out what to do about this predicament.
How to submit a missing package claim to Amazon
- Rd.com Fortunately, Amazon’s A-to-Z Guarantee ensures that your purchase is protected in the event that an Amazon delivery is stolen or misplaced. Remember to submit your claim within 90 days after the purchase date, otherwise it will not be recognized by the insurance company. While the following instructions were written for use with a desktop computer, they may alter significantly when used to the Amazon app on a mobile device. Click on ″Your Orders″ after logging into your Amazon account.
- Locate the order and choose ″Problem with Order″ from the drop-down menu.
- Whenever you are prompted to choose an issue, pick the option that states that the item has not arrived.
- After that, pick ″Request Refund,″ fill out the text box with any other information you’d like (if applicable or required), and click ″Submit.″
- The Amazon Pay tab allows you to keep track of the status of your claim. If your claim is granted, you will get a refund in the form of the original payment method. Items that have been damaged or opened, or that have been delivered more than 30 days ago, may only be eligible for a partial refund or may not be eligible at all. If you don’t receive a refund, you might want to consider shopping at one of these shops with the finest return policies the next time you need anything.
Additional steps to take
- Amazon is not the only location where you may register a claim for a ″Amazon shipment stolen.″ According to Robert Siciliano, a cybersecurity educator at ProtectNow, if you have exhausted all of the options listed above, the next step may be to call the police, the shipping company, and your credit card provider.
- The fact that many credit card companies offer purchase-protection features that cover the cost of lost or stolen delivery is one of the reasons why online purchases are among the items that should always be paid for using a credit card, according to Weisman.
How to protect your Amazon deliveries in the future
- Weisman recommends taking efforts to keep your shipments safe from porch pirates, such as demanding a signature upon delivery or shipping the box to your workplace address, among other measures. Moreover, according to Siciliano, Amazon offers a variety of different delivery service alternatives. Ship products to Amazon lockers located in neighboring locations such as Whole Foods Market, or install the Amazon Key Smart Lock system in your house for a more secure method of receiving deliveries. Using the technology, delivery drivers may scan a barcode to request entrance to your front door or garage, where they can then deposit the box inside while being monitored by a security camera system. Aside from an Amazon Prime account, the Key by Amazon app, a smart lock, and a camera with Wi-Fi connectivity are all you need. Now that you’ve learned what to do if your Amazon shipment has been stolen, brush up on some lesser-known Amazon techniques that every customer should be familiar with. Also, educate yourself on how to recognize an Amazon email scam
- this knowledge may come in helpful in the future. Value is a source of information. According to Penguin, ″Nearly one in every five consumers has experienced package theft since the beginning of quarantine″
- Steve Weisman, professor at Bentley University and author of The Truth About Avoiding Scams
- Amazon: ″Find a Missing Package That Shows as Delivered″
- Robert Siciliano, cyber social identity protection instructor at ProtectNow
What to Do if Your Packages are Lost or Being Stolen
- Photograph courtesy of Mathyas Kurmann / Unsplash A parcel that belonged to me went missing a few months back.
- A few beauty things I needed were included, including eyeshadow, under-eye concealer, and setting powder.
- I contacted the firm, and they promptly replaced the cosmetics with little difficulty.
- Afterwards, a parcel containing bright stationery and a new desk calendar that I had bought had gone missing.
- A few weeks later, I discovered that a diary I had bought from Poland had gone missing.
- Months had passed as I awaited the arrival of one specific shipment, which included an original, handpainted diary that I had been looking forward to for a long time.
Despite the fact that my first item failed to arrive, the second and third packages eventually arrived in my mailbox.However, as a result of this experience, I now know exactly what to do the next time a box or piece of mail goes missing as predicted.While traveling, I made several blunders that I’m sharing with you in the hopes that you won’t make the same mistakes I did.Continue reading to learn all you need to know about what to do if your mail or parcels go missing.
Wait 24 hours before you do anything.
- It’s something I discovered a long time ago (when I became addicted to internet shopping, cough cough) that some businesses would mark items as delivered before they have really been delivered.
- No matter how many times I checked the tracking on an order of mine, the delivery didn’t arrive until the next day, despite the fact that it had been marked as ″delivered.″ It is best to wait one business day before calling the post office or delivery provider regarding a parcel that has been marked as ″delivered.″
Check with your neighbors and building management.
- The fact that some firms would list items as delivered before they are really delivered is something I discovered a long time ago (when I became addicted to internet shopping, cough cough).
- Although the tracking information for one of my orders indicated that it had been delivered, the box didn’t arrive until the next day, and I have lost count of the number of times this has happened to me.
- If a shipment of yours has been marked as ″delivered,″ but you have not yet received it, you should wait one business day before calling the post office or delivery agency.
Contact the company you placed the order with.
- The next step should be calling the firm that you placed the order with if the package has not been located after you have checked with your neighbors and the leasing office.
- It’s not uncommon for the corporation to communicate with the shipping company on your behalf in order to figure out what is going on.
- If enough time has elapsed after the product was scheduled to be delivered, many large shops will simply replace your purchase at no further cost to you.
Get in touch with the shipping company.
- If you haven’t received your delivery yet and the merchant isn’t ready to send you a replacement right away, you should contact the shipping company that sent the box to you — UPS, USPS, FedEx, or DHL — for assistance.
- There is a good chance that a representative will be able to find out what is going on in a (relatively) timely manner.
- Even if your item is not recovered, some delivery providers offer an online claims process that allows you to make a complaint for your lost item and receive reimbursement.
- Don’t call the shipping firm too early in the procedure, according to the experts.
- The UPS company was notified when my journal from Poland went missing, and they responded by placing a ″red flag″ on my building, which meant that any packages brought to my address would have to be picked up at the local UPS office if the homeowner wasn’t home.
- Fortunately, my delivery was delivered the next day (oops!
), but I still had to travel to UPS to pick up some other goods.
Report the activity to your landlord.
- It’s not uncommon for a shipment to go missing for a variety of reasons.
- However, three or four parcels that have gone missing are unacceptable.
- If you’ve detected that many parcels have gone missing, you should contact your landlord or property management company right once.
- They will be able to keep an eye on the grounds to see if there is a problem with mail the