Whether you think your neighbor stole your parcel or someone else, you can frequently get a refund or a replacement from the sender or delivery company.
- Contact the Sender.
- Report It to FedEx, UPS or USPS.
- Report the package theft to Amazon.
- File a Police Report for the Stolen Package.
- Talk to Your Credit Card Company.
If your mail was stolen, follow these steps to be reimbursed or to receive a replacement item. If you suspect your package was stolen, the first thing you should do is check your purchase confirmation email for tracking information.
Can you get reimbursed for package theft?
Here are steps you can take to get reimbursed for package theft, track down the thief—or scare porch pirates off before they do their dastardly deed. If playback doesn’t begin shortly, try restarting your device.
How common is it to have your package stolen?
The same study found that 43% of respondents reported having a package stolen — up from 36% just one year earlier. And of those who have had a package stolen, more than half have had it happen more than once. So how can you avoid becoming the victim of porch pirates?
Package Stolen? Here are 5 Ways to Recover Stolen Deliveries
- A growing number of individuals will get parcels through the mail in 2020 compared to 2019.
- This is due to the expansion of e-commerce and increasing online buying due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Unfortunately, the number of people who have had a parcel stolen has grown throughout this period as well, which is a sad development.
- Despite the fact that package theft is a particularly serious concern during the holiday season, it is critical that you remain attentive in securing your deliveries throughout the year.
What to do if a package is stolen
In this post, we’ll discuss techniques to assist avoid package theft, regardless of whether you live in an apartment or own your house. We’ll also go through some options for locating your shipment if it’s been stolen in the future. Let’s take a look at how to report a stolen item and what you may do in the future to avoid parcel theft in the first instance.
Before You Report Stolen Packages, Ask Around
- We’ve all been in that situation.
- The day after you arrive home from work, you fully anticipate to discover that the box you bought is waiting for you on your front porch.
- After all, you had just gotten a delivery confirmation email a few hours before this conversation.
- When you arrive at your front door and discover that there is no package in sight, it’s natural to become anxious.
- Here are a few things you should consider before jumping to conclusions.
- These procedures might assist to guarantee that you do not begin the process of obtaining a refund when the shipment was not stolen in the first place.
Make Sure That It Was Delivered
If you obtain a delivery confirmation, it is possible that the delivery provider made a mistake in the delivery process. To be sure that your package was delivered at the time and place specified by the tracking service, you can contact the company immediately. It’s always conceivable that something went wrong, so it’s worth double-checking everything first.
Look Thoroughly and Check with Your Roommates or Family Members
- Make a careful inspection of your porch or front step to see whether the parcel was delivered in an odd location.
- It is possible that delivery drivers will attempt to be courteous by placing boxes out of sight in order to assist secure your belongings against theft.
- It’s also conceivable that someone else in your home has already taken possession of the parcel and carried it inside.
- In case a family member or roommate failed to notify you that they had already taken your box in from the porch, check with others in the house.
Check with Your Neighbors
When delivery drivers are concerned that leaving a box at your front door is not secure, they may choose to leave your gift with one of your neighbors. Although it is rare for products to be delivered to the incorrect address, it is conceivable that a neighbor got the box without recognizing it.
Ask Your Neighborhood Watch
- Please contact your local neighborhood watch to inquire whether there has been a recent string of package thefts or if anyone has noticed any suspicious characters around your home.
- If your community has a local neighborhood watch, please contact them to inquire whether there has been a string of package thefts recently or if anyone has noticed any suspicious characters around your home.
- They may be able to provide you with information that may assist you in recovering your stolen property.
Someone Stole Your Package? 5 Ways to Recover Stolen Deliveries
Let’s have a look at what you should do next once you’ve inquired about your bundle with a few people. In many cases, whether you believe a neighbor or someone else took your package, you can obtain a refund or an alternate delivery from the sender or delivery firm in question.
1. Contact the Sender
- Following that, if you have determined that the parcel was delivered but was most likely stolen, the next step is to contact the sender.
- There are a plethora of shops out there that will be eager to collaborate with you in order to address this issue effectively.
- A few of them may even replace or refund your order on the spot, and they may even take on the obligation of negotiating with the shipping business on your behalf.
- Is there anything you can do if the box you’re looking for was shipped by someone other than the shop, such as a friend or a family member?
- It is necessary to contact the sender in this case to ensure that the right address was printed on the label of the package.
- Unfortunately, the only thing you can do if you believe your belongings have been taken is to submit a theft report with the police.
2. Report It to FedEx, UPS or USPS
- Different shipping firms have different procedures for reporting a shipment that has been stolen.
- For FedEx, the procedure is quite straightforward.
- You may file a claim for a misplaced parcel online, which you can complete and submit.
- FedEx typically responds to this type of claim within five to seven business days, depending on the circumstances.
- If UPS delivered your box, you’d have to wait 24 hours after the scheduled delivery time before filing a missing parcel claim with the Postal Service.
- In order to receive a refund, you’ll need to contact the seller, since the reimbursement will be paid to them rather than to you.
For packages that have gone missing because they were sent to a foreign location, it may be difficult to obtain replacements or refunds through UPS.If you have a lost parcel from the United States Postal Service, you must first fill out a Help Request form, which will be forwarded to your local Post Office, which will assist you in locating your item.It is necessary to submit a Missing Mail Search Request with the tracking number, proof of insurance, and proof of the item’s worth if you do not get your package within seven days of it being lost or misdirected.If you have any evidence that the shipment was truly stolen, you should provide it with your application.
3. Report the package theft to Amazon
- Despite the fact that this point technically belongs under the ″contact the sender″ section, Amazon is by far the largest online store in the world, and so deserves to be discussed separately.
- Fortunately, Amazon makes obtaining a reimbursement for misplaced items a simple process.
- You can contact Amazon once 36 hours have gone since the shipment was meant to have arrived if the tracking software indicates that it arrived but you did not physically get it, or if the box was stolen from your home.
- Even if the merchandise was shipped by a third-party vendor, Amazon would still handle the refund.
4. File a Police Report for the Stolen Package
- Consider the following procedure for notifying the authorities of a missing parcel.
- Unfortunately, if there are no witnesses and you do not have a doorbell camera or an outside security camera, the police are unlikely to be able to do much to help you in this situation.
- If there have been recent package thefts in your neighborhood, there is a greater possibility that the authorities will examine the problem.
- If you want to file an insurance claim in connection with the missing delivery, a police report may be useful paperwork to have on hand.
5. Talk to Your Credit Card Company
If none of the previous strategies have worked, you can call your credit card provider to see if there are any safeguards in your card agreement that you can take advantage of. This implies that your credit card company may be able to issue you a refund even if the vendor or delivery company refuses to.
Don’t Fall Prey to Porch Pirates Again: How to Help Prevent Package Theft
- Once you’ve been burnt by a porch pirate, the last thing you want to do is go through the ordeal all over again.
- Let’s have a look at some of the methods you may use to keep your packages from being stolen in the future.
- What can you do to avoid parcel theft?
- Whether you rent or own a home, practically everyone has had their packages stolen at some time in their lives.
- After looking forward to getting something, it might be disheartening to discover that it has not come as expected.
- We’ve created a list of recommendations that will assist you prevent package theft, whether you rent or own your home.
- Register for free pickup and delivery of items at the USPS shop
- Rent a package locker or parcel locker.
- UPS provides rental mailboxes at UPS Stores that are available to customers of any carrier.
- Install surveillance cameras on your property’s outside.
- If you have the choice, schedule delivery for a time when you are certain you will be home.
- Insist on receiving a signature upon delivery.
- Purchase a P.O. Box from your local United States Postal Service location.
- Install a video doorbell camera on your doorbell.
- Have the package delivered to your place of employment.
- Select Amazon Hub Locker pickup as your delivery option.
- Package insurance should be purchased. This enables you to trace your shipment, making it easier to intercept it when it arrives at your apartment or residence.
- An electronic smart lock may be used to enable a trustworthy delivery person access your house.
- Drop off and pick up UPS shipments at your neighborhood CVS.
- Pick up your FedEx packages from Walgreens
- Request package drop off in your fenced-in backyard or garage
- and more.
- Check with your neighbors to see if they will be willing to keep or pick up a box for you while you are away from home, especially if you offer to do the same for them.
- Register for UPS My Choice to be able to schedule deliveries.
Have Your Packages Delivered to a More Secure Location
- Installing a package lockbox near your mailbox, or even a more discreet non-locking box further away from the street, may be an option for your situation.
- In the event that you pick this option, you will need to speak with the delivery provider to verify that the shipment is delivered to the correct location.
- If you find that the majority of the deliveries you receive are from Amazon, you might want to consider purchasing an Amazon locker.
- Also, several convenience stores and supermarket stores provide a lockbox delivery service for their customers.
Get a Doorbell Camera to catch Porch Pirates
- Installing a package lockbox near your mailbox, or even a more discreet non-locking box further away from the street, may be an option to investigate.
- To guarantee that the shipment is delivered to the correct location, you should speak with the delivery provider as soon as possible after placing your order.
- Getting an Amazon locker may be a good idea if the majority of the packages you’re receiving come from Amazon.
- Also, some convenience stores and supermarket stores provide a lockbox delivery service for a small additional fee.
Advertise Your Home Security System on Your Windows and In Your Yard
Installing a yard sign and some window stickers to advertise your home security system isn’t going to hurt. Thieves who are not ready to take the risk of being caught on video or setting off a motion detector alert may be deterred as a result.
How to prevent package theft in a home you own?
If you own your house, you may be able to take advantage of permanent relocation alternatives. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Invest in an anti-theft mailbox or a mailbox with a delivery slot connected to make your mailbox more secure.
- Install a parcel delivery box or a package drop-off box on your front porch to receive packages. Many choices are now available that are both aesthetically pleasing and useful.
- For increased protection, choose a box that can be bolted or attached to your porch or wall with screws.
- Hedgerows or plants can be added. Remember to ask that your gift be hidden behind this shrubbery by the delivery person.
- Smart locks can be used in conjunction with security cameras if you have a porch or garage that is distinct from your home, or if you have confidence in your delivery person.
- Indoor cameras are also useful in this situation because they allow you to monitor every step of the delivery process.
- Track your package’s progress and open your door when it comes, allowing the delivery person to drop it off inside.
How to prevent package theft in an apartment?
Due to the fact that many flats do not have porches, you will have to come up with less permanent alternatives for concealing goods.
- Package drops should be coordinated with your lease or management office.
- Ask if you may have a look at the package drop-off location while you’re taking a tour of the flat. If so, is it a public space that anybody may enter? Is there a locker room? If you get a large number of packages, it may be good to include this on your ″must-have″ list while searching for a new rental property.
- Inquire with your apartment complex if you may send packages to the complex’s office rather than to your actual unit.
- Blue by ADT provides a suite of home security choices that are suitable for apartment living, whether you choose a doorbell or an exterior camera to keep a watch on your property.
Install Outdoor Security Cameras
As previously said, outside cameras may be used to dissuade burglars as well as capture them in the process of stealing. A thief is far less likely to steal your item if they are aware that you will have video footage of them performing the crime if you install conspicuous outside security cameras in strategic locations.
ADT is one of the leading home security providers in the US.
- Package theft is on the rise, but that doesn’t mean you have to sit back and hope you don’t become a victim.
- You may take a variety of steps to assist avoid package theft, which is especially important during the Christmas season.
- For example, you may sign up for delivery notifications, which will tell you of the current status of your product as well as when it will be delivered.
- Additionally, installing a security system will allow you to capture criminals in the act if they are caught.
- ADT is one of the most well-known and respected security companies in the world.
- Please get in touch with us for a free quote.
We have home security systems, doorbell cameras, and outdoor security cameras that can assist you in protecting yourself against parcel theft right now!
What to Do About Package Theft – Hawk Security Systems, Inc.
Package theft is a growing issue for many people, especially as more people purchase online than ever before. While installing a dependable security system in your house may aid in the prevention of mail theft, there are further precautions you can take to track and secure your belongings.. Find out how to make your online purchases more safe in the section below.
3 Steps to Take if Your Packages Are Being Stolen
1. Track the Items
- Retailers generally provide their consumers with tracking tools or phone lines that allow them to receive precise and fast information on the status of their purchases.
- Many shipments are subject to delays, particularly during peak seasons such as holidays and other busy times, and overburdened delivery drivers may occasionally miss a stop or need to take an alternative route.
- Tracking your products will provide you with the most up-to-date information on their whereabouts.
- As soon as the tracking websites indicate that your packages have been delivered, go to your front door and check it.
- If they aren’t present, contact the shops as soon as possible to avoid any miscommunications from occurring.
2. Get Help From Neighbors
- Consider enlisting the help of your neighbors to keep an eye out for deliveries or to accept items on your behalf to keep them secure from theft or damage.
- If you don’t see anything you were expecting, it’s possible that your neighbors have already brought it in for you.
- Please notify them when you expect a delivery so that they can keep a look out for it.
- Afterwards, express your gratitude by offering to do the same for them or by baking them a platter of cookies.
3. Have Packages Delivered Elsewhere
- In the event that package theft is a recurring issue, try having products delivered to your workplace, a nearby post office, or a specialized delivery kiosk at a retail site.
- The majority of supermarket and department shops feature lockers or holding stations that are run by online merchants, allowing delivery drivers to drop off your things in a safe and secure environment while being monitored by a surveillance system.
- Upon receipt of the delivery box, you’ll be given a one-of-a-kind access code or key that you may use to secure the products at your convenience.
- Security equipment from Hawk Security Systems Inc.
- in Harrisonburg, Virginia, may help you in your attempts to keep your items safe and secure.
- They’ve been providing households in Virginia and West Virginia with a comprehensive range of dependable security systems for more than three decades.
Video doorbells, intrusion alarms, and security cameras are all options that may help you monitor your home more effectively and safely.To get started, call (540) 434-4295, or go to their website to learn more about their security systems and services.
Tips for Preventing Package Theft and Avoiding Porch Pirates
- Every year, it seems as though the holiday season sneaks up on us.
- There will be lots of parcels sent to your door as a result of all the holiday shopping you’ll be doing.
- After all, it is the season of giving that we are celebrating.
- Unfortunately, parcel theft is a common occurrence throughout the Christmas season.
- Even if the postal office did its job properly, porch pirates may simply steal your valuable parcels from your doorstep.
- In case you’re wondering how widespread parcel theft is over the Christmas season, the truth is that it’s rather prevalent.
A neighborhood criminal has stolen Christmas gifts straight off the porch of 25.8 million Americans, according to Insurance Quotes (that’s 8 percent of the population!) Mark Rober, a former NASA engineer, took inspiration in the techniques of Home Alone hero Kevin McAllister in his film Home Alone 2.Cellophane was wrapped over an Apple HomePod box to construct a fake package, which he then delivered.It has GPS tracking integrated into it, which was quite convenient.The inclusion of implanted cell phones that record video would enable him to track down the thief’s position in this manner.
- and the results were really stunning.
- Unfortunately, none of us possesses engineering abilities on the level of NASA.
- Is this a sign that there’s nothing further we can do to combat porch pirates in the future?
Without a doubt, this is not the case!Some suggestions on how to avoid having your shipments stolen as well as what to do if one of your parcels is taken by porch pirates will be discussed.
Tips to Avoid Package Theft
Avoid holiday hassles by following these simple guidelines. Make it practically difficult for a burglar to take your shipments by following these simple precautions.
1. Get a P.O. Box at Your Local Post Office
A Post Office Box (P.O. Box) can be obtained from your local post office. Your shipments will be handled and stored by specialists in a secure environment.
2. Use Lockers
- Nobody else has been thinking about how to keep their shipments secure, and you’re not alone in your concerns. Package security has become a lucrative industry for major postal organizations, businesses, and even convenience shops. Some even provide the option to rent lockers. You may have your delivery delivered to a certain place and then pick it up whenever it is convenient for you. Listed below are a few businesses that provide this service: 7-Eleven, Amazon Lockers, UPS Lockers, and other convenience stores
3. Set Up Notifications to Track Your Package
- The majority of delivery firms include the option of receiving cellphone alerts during the delivery procedure.
- Set them up so that you’ll be the first to know when a shipment is delivered to your door.
- That’s a piece of knowledge that even the most cunning package thieves will be unable to get.
- If you’re there to receive your delivery as soon as it comes at your front door, no one will be able to take it from you.
4. Install a Security Camera
- There are hundreds of different home security systems available, all of which are simple to install and use trustworthy technology to protect your house.
- Porch pirates will be deterred by a clearly visible camera.
- In the event that your shipment is stolen, you will have plenty of proof to use in retaliatory measures.
- Ring peephole cameras are little cameras that affix to the peephole of your front door and perform the job.
- They are also suitable for apartment living because they do not necessitate any complicated installation.
5. Get Your Packages Delivered to Your Office
We understand that your house isn’t exactly where your desk is. Having a delivery delivered to your place of business, on the other hand, can be just as handy. Alternatively, if you are more likely to be at work during delivery hours, you might have it delivered to that location instead.
6. Require a Signature on Delivery
- In order to provide customers with peace of mind, UPS and FedEx demand signatures.
- Occasionally, the shipper will specify that they must get a signature before the package may be delivered.
- However, you are under no obligation to accept their conclusion.
- Adding delivery protection features is something you can do yourself.
- Please keep in mind that this will almost certainly result in extra costs.
- If you get a large number of parcels, the cost of these fees may mount up, but it is well worth it when making large purchases.
7. Reschedule Delivery or Ask for a Package Hold When on Vacation
Vacation hold services are provided by both UPS and FedEx. FedEx provides a 14-day free trial period. Package storage is provided by UPS for a period of seven days at no cost. To request a FedEx hold, just download the FedEx Delivery Management App from the App Store. To place a hold on your package with UPS, go into your UPS InfoNotice account online.
8. Try Smart Locks
- Smart locks allow you to enter your home without having to use a key.
- They provide you the ability to let someone inside your home while you are gone.
- Check-in is also made possible through the use of live video and two-way audio.
- In terms of delivery, this implies that you will be able to have things delivered to your doorstep at no additional price.
- This Amazon Smart Lock is controlled using a smartphone application, which allows you to manage all of its capabilities when away from home.
- However, if you want to change the lock on your doors, you will need to get permission from your landlord first.
As a result, before looking at this option, be certain that you have received approval.
9. Get a Package Guard
- Package guards may appear to be frisbees, but don’t underestimate their abilities.
- You’ll receive notifications when your shipment has arrived on your porch, thanks to this smart device.
- This gadget is equipped with an alarm that will ring if your delivery is picked up by someone other than you without your consent.
- Despite the fact that it is not as effective as a glitter bomb, this is a practical and straightforward technique to dissuade package theft.
10. Insure Your Packages
- If something goes wrong, package insurance can come to your rescue.
- However, before acquiring this additional layer of security, keep in mind that if your delivery is valued at less than $100, it is probable that you are already protected.
- This is something that UPS and FedEx do.
- The United States Postal Service, on the other hand, only provides this low-value coverage on Express Mail packages.
- If you are getting something valued at more than $100, you may want to consider purchasing additional coverage.
- If someone takes your shipment within 60 days of receiving it from FedEx or within nine months of receiving it from UPS, you’ll be required to file a claim.
11. Ask Your Neighbors to Grab Your Packages
Talking to your next-door neighbor can simply be the solution you’re looking for at no cost. If you’re going to be out and about for the majority of the time, ask them to keep a look out for any deliveries on your behalf. You’ll have peace of mind knowing that someone is keeping your packages secure until you get a chance to pick them up.
What Do You Do If Someone Steals Your Package?
If you are the unfortunate victim of package theft, there are a few procedures you should take to have the situation resolved as quickly as possible. First and foremost, be certain that you are communicating with the appropriate individuals.
Contact the Sender
First things first: contact the sender. In many cases, businesses are understanding and have customer service policies in place to deal with such occurrences. It’s possible that they’ll simply send a replacement.
USPS Stolen Packages
- If the parcel was stolen while being delivered by the United States Postal Service, submit a claim with them.
- You’ll need to bring your tracking number as well as proof of insurance with you.
- You’ll also need to provide evidence of the item’s worth.
- If you have video or photographic evidence that someone took the shipment, please send it.
- The United States Postal Service is unlikely to issue a refund to you, which is why contacting the vendor for a replacement is your best option.
UPS Stolen Packages
- When it comes to different sorts of orders, UPS has varied methods.
- When it comes to domestic shipping, patience is required.
- Before making a claim, you’ll need to wait for a 24-hour time to elapse.
- When shipping internationally, you will not have the option to register a claim.
- UPS will conduct an investigation into the claim you submitted.
- There are no promises, however, that the perpetrator will be identified or that a refund will be issued.
Amazon Stolen Packages
If Amazon’s tracking system indicates that your shipment has been delivered, but it has not been located, you may request a refund quickly and simply.If you want to contact Amazon, you’ll have to wait 36 hours.If your delivery is delivered late, you will be given a credit to compensate for the inconvenience.
- Even with third-party merchants, they take care of the specifics so that you don’t have to worry about them.
FedEx Stolen Packages
FedEx offers a web-based site for reporting misplaced shipments. Similarly to their delivery services, they are prompt in resolving claims for misdirected packages. That is, if you file within 60 calendar days after receiving the order and have the order’s specifics on hand.
File a Police Report
If you have reason to believe your shipment was stolen, it is critical that you file a police complaint.This is not only beneficial to you, but it is also beneficial to the entire community.After receiving a large number of such allegations, the police department may launch a more thorough investigation to determine who is stealing parcels from porches in your neighborhood.
- It’s better to be cautious than sorry in this situation.
- Consider putting some of these strategies into action instead of waiting for a porch pirate to steal your holiday gifts before you get home.
- They may be able to assist you in avoiding being a theft victim.
- A wide variety of choices are accessible to buyers, all of which can contribute to the elimination of porch piracy.
Porch pirates is what they are known as.They stand on street corners, waiting for delivery guys to deliver things to their doors.Following their departure, these individuals race out to steal these packages for their own benefit.
- Porch pirates are opportunists who can’t pass up an opportunity to pick up packages that have been left on doorsteps or porches by their victims or neighbors.
- The extent of the problem is only becoming worse as more people continue to purchase online, despite the fact that continual attempts are being made to apprehend such persons.
- The problem is compounded during the Christmas season since it is at this time of year that consumers do the majority of their shopping online.
- Furthermore, it is normal for people to depart on vacation while their ordered packages are still sitting on their doorway.
Package Theft Affects Businesses
One truth to keep in mind is that ecommerce customers associate their delivery experience with the business from whom they purchased their goods or services.Any problems encountered at the last mile are attributed to the retail establishment rather than to the shipping service responsible for the delivery.This is how the psychology of humans operates.
- It is far simpler to place the blame on the conspicuous brand than it is on the carrier who is operating in the background discreetly and unnoticed.
- Therefore, you can no longer dismiss package theft as an issue that your shipping company is responsible for resolving on his or her own.
- You must intervene and take a proactive approach to resolving the issue on your end.
- You run the danger of losing consumers if you do not take action.
- In addition, negative internet reviews and word-of-mouth exchanges will have a negative impact on your bottom line.
- It’s important to note that acquiring a new client is far more expensive than retaining an existing one in this situation.
- A new customer acquisition cost is significantly higher than the cost of retaining an existing client.
What Retailers Can Do About Package Theft
- Fortunately, the matter has not gotten out of hand. There are steps that your company may do to protect itself against the pandemic of package thieves that has engulfed the United States. Here are some suggestions on what you could do: Ensure that your clients have a variety of delivery alternatives
- keep your consumers informed of the status of their shipments
- Pack in a discrete manner
- Make use of developing technology to assure the safe delivery of your package
Provide Your Customers Flexible Delivery Options
At the end of the day, every consumer is aware of the most efficient manner of delivery for their particular neighborhood.Depending on the neighborhood, there may be no parcel theft at all, while others may be overrun with package thieves.It pays to put your faith in your clients’ judgment when it comes to determining the best form of delivery for their location and to present them with a variety of alternatives to choose from.
- The requirement for a signature upon delivery is viewed negatively by the majority of shoppers.
- This necessitates their being present at their residence to accept shipments, which is obviously not feasible for the majority of working individuals.
- Those who live in neighborhoods where package theft is widespread, on the other hand, may choose this method of delivery for the added security it provides.
- Saturday delivery is available through FedEx Home and a variety of different UPS service kinds.
- By selecting this option, the consumer may be assured that they will be at home to receive their package.
- The option of delivery to a safe locker near the customer’s residence might be given as an extra mode of delivery to assure package security.
- Amazon Locker is an example of a service that enables customers to accept delivery of their packages by entering a code and following the on-screen instructions on their computer.
Keep Your Customers Updated About the Status of Shipments
The ability to communicate effectively is critical in minimizing many of the pain points associated with the post-purchase shipping experience.This is also an effective method of dealing with the possibility of parcel theft.The first step in maintaining effective contact with consumers is to give them with an accurate estimate of the delivery date and time.
- The next step is to provide them with periodic updates on the status of the package while it is in route.
- These notifications can be delivered through SMS, e-mail, or a combination of the two.
- Customers will be better prepared at the time of delivery as a result of this.
- Once the actual delivery of the message has been completed, the final stage in this communication procedure is to drop a message.
- In the event of inconsistencies, a hotline number might be supplied to assist the customer.
In certain cases, when a box is delivered to a home’s porch, it might sit upright as though it were a duck ready to be shot.Package thieves fantasize about just this kind of circumstance.Packaging items in a discrete manner might assist to prevent this issue.
- There are a variety of approaches that may be used to conceal a package.
- One method is to refrain from using excessive branding.
- As a result of consumer complaints over getting empty boxes of Kylie Jenner’s lip kit, the celebrity icon had to replace the logo on the packaging.
- As a result, the number of thefts has decreased.
- It is also possible to make a package less conspicuous by reducing the quantity of product-descriptive language that is printed on it.
- Porch pirates are more attracted to larger boxes because they offer the sense that they will receive a higher reward.
- A box that is the correct size for the merchandise will help to conceal the shipment while also lowering the delivery costs.
- Porch pirates are more attracted to larger boxes because they offer the sense that they will receive a higher reward.
- The use of stealth wraps to conceal packages is becoming increasingly popular as a means of reducing their visibility.
There are a range of solutions accessible on the market that make use of different types of materials.The use of tamper-proof tapes can assist in identifying any attempted theft.If you’ve received complaints from consumers about packages that didn’t arrive, you might want to consider these solutions.
Use Emerging Technologies to Ensure Safe Delivery
Taking advantage of developing technology can help you keep one step ahead of criminal activity.Amazon has created new technologies that allow online consumers to receive products not only at their residences, but also in garages and even in their automobiles!Amazon Key smart lock kits enable customers to provide delivery personnel entry to their front door via an app.
- A smart camera system may be integrated with this lock mechanism to provide live footage of the delivery as well as two-way audio communication between parties.
- The Amazon Key app may be used with select automobile models that are parked in publicly accessible places for a period of at least 4 hours according to the company.
- Remote boot opening is possible, allowing a delivery person to deposit a product inside the boot while the boot is still open remotely.
- On weekdays, this service might be especially useful for people who are pressed for time at work.
- Similar services are offered through the use of an app and an accompanying security system that allows deliveries to be made directly into the garages of customers’ residences.
- This might be especially handy when shoppers are away on vacation or for other reasons.
- Customers may benefit from these and other comparable delivery choices, which can help them have a better online shopping and last mile experience.
What Shoppers Can Do About Package Theft
Shoppers who are concerned about their items being stolen should be aware that there are a variety of options available to them to dissuade package thieves from targeting their purchases.
Use Amazon Locker
You may utilize the Amazon Locker service to prevent your Amazon shipments from being stolen from your front door or porch.With this service, you may pick up your delivery from the Amazon Locker in chosen locations around the country by providing a unique code to the Amazon Locker.If an Amazon Locker is available in their area, customers can use it instead of a traditional safe.
- Shopping and receiving items in this manner is both safe and easy.
- This is especially true for high-value orders such as electronics, phones, and other such items.
- Similar services are available through The UPS Store.
- Additionally, you may invest in your own digital locker to keep your items safe.
Route Packages to Office Addresses
It is common for package thieves to steal from drop-off deliveries, and reckless mailmen or carriers to leave items on the front door without even knocking or ringing the door, pre-signing deliveries without approval, or delaying home delivery by sending notification notices too soon.All of this may be avoided by routing packages to office addresses, where they would be processed in the proper manner.With office deliveries, the likelihood of parcels being stolen by package thieves is significantly reduced.
- This also explains why FedEx/UPS charges more to deliver to home zip codes compared to office zip codes, as opposed to commercial zip codes.
Install Security Cameras at Home
The majority of the time, security cameras hinder parcel theft. While a basic camera may catch and transmit theft information, cameras with built-in sirens can notify people if they are being targeted by thieves. If they are captured and charged with theft, property crime, or other offenses, package thieves may face criminal charges as a result.
Mandate Signature on Delivery
A mandatory signature delivery system would be effective in preventing parcels from being stolen from the porch.The agreement can be signed off on by both the sender and the receiver if they both agree on the terms (you, that is).If a shipment is lost and no signature is obtained at the time of delivery, legal action can be taken to guarantee that you receive a replacement or a complete refund.
Place Packages on Hold When on Holiday
In the event that you are going on vacation, you can choose to have your pending shipments placed on hold. While the United States Postal Service and FedEx provide a free service to hold parcels for a specified amount of time, UPS charges a fee for each rescheduling.
Opt for In-Store Pickup
The practice of ″click-and-collect″ is getting increasingly popular. This kind of delivery allows you to place an order online and then pick up the purchased package from a location close to your house. This option is particularly beneficial when placing an order for a large number of things at once.
Package theft is becoming more prevalent year after year, but there are steps that both merchants and customers can do to ensure package safety and a seamless last mile experience for everyone involved. Package thieves are on the rise, and retailers, transportation companies, and end customers must all work together to remain one step ahead.
A Little about LateShipment.com
- Package theft is becoming more prevalent year after year, but there are steps that both merchants and customers can do to ensure package safety and a seamless last mile experience for all parties involved. Package thieves are on the rise, and retailers, shipping companies, and end customers must all work together to keep one step ahead.
When you see the value we provide to businesses for yourself, you will understand what we mean. Learn more about our solution by visiting this page.
- Profits and customer retention are boosted by providing a positive ecommerce customer experience.
- Instructions on how to package and ship oversize and odd-shaped packages by FedEx and UPS
- 5 Ways to Improve a Customer’s Post-Purchase Shipping Experience (With Bonus Tips)
- 5 Ways to Improve a Customer’s Post-Purchase Shipping Experience (With Bonus Tips)
Porch Pirates: 6 Steps to Take if Your Package Is Stolen
According to a survey commissioned by ValuePenguin, nearly four out of every ten customers has had a package stolen before it could be delivered to them.While the quantity of deliveries increases over the Christmas season, this data serves as a reminder to consumers that package theft is a widespread problem throughout the year, regardless of the season.If you’ve been unfortunate enough to have a parcel stolen from your front door, here’s what you should do to recover your package.
What to do if a package is stolen from your porch
If your mail has been stolen, you must follow these procedures in order to be paid or to get a substitute item.
Step 1: Track the package
First and foremost, if you have reason to believe your product has been stolen, you should look for tracking information in the email you received upon purchase.Typically, you will be provided with a tracking number, which you may use to keep track on the progress of your order throughout shipment.Sometimes all you need to do is click on this number or button, but other times you may need to copy the number and input it on the retailer’s or shipping company’s website, depending on the situation.
- For shipments to be delayed, especially during high shipping seasons such as the holidays, this is to be expected.
- The shipment status will inform you of the location where your package was last recorded as well as the date on which it was delivered to the shipping destination.
- If the item is indicated as having been delivered, go to step 2.
- Otherwise, proceed to step 3.
Step 2: Check if your neighbors saw it or held onto it for you
Check with your neighbors to see if the item has been delivered once you’ve verified that it has.It’s humiliating to lash out at a customer service agent only to realize that the sweet lady next door noticed your shipment and grabbed it to save it from being stolen or rained on while you were away.Even if they don’t have your package, it’s possible that your neighbors saw it earlier in the day and are unaware of it.
Step 3: Contact the seller or retailer
Immediately notify the vendor or shop that sold you the goods if it looks that your shipment has been stolen or misplaced.When it comes to dealing with stolen property, different merchants have different rules and procedures in place, but you are normally entitled to a refund or a replacement.Amazon’s ″A-to-Z Guarantee Protection″ provides coverage for the majority of stolen packages.
- Purchases that are labeled as ″fulfilled by Amazon″ are sometimes derived from retail partners known as ″Amazon Sellers,″ rather than from Amazon itself.
- (You should be aware of this at the time you place your purchase for the item).
- It is mandatory for you to contact the Amazon Seller in order to try to resolve the issue with them if this is the situation with your purchase, according to Amazon.
- You may make a claim with Amazon if you’ve waited more than two business days for a response or if the seller is being unhelpful.
- Amazon would most likely offer a refund in this case, as well.
- In many circumstances, stores will agree to send you a new item within a short period of time.
- However, if they refuse to accept responsibility and give a replacement, there are still certain actions you may take to obtain recompense.
Step 4: File a claim with the shipping company
Occasionally, stores may attempt to transfer responsibility to the shipping provider or will need you to make a complaint and wait a specific number of days before learning for definite whether your shipment will or will not be delivered.If you find yourself in this situation, you may wish to submit a claim with the shipping business as well, just to be safe.UPS, FedEx, the United States Postal Service, and DHL all have online claims processes that you may use to report your lost item, and you can also call them to report your missing item.
Step 5: Use the purchase protection features on your credit card
When you use a credit card to make a purchase, many issuers will provide purchase protection that will repay you if an item is stolen.This is true as long as the item was paid wholly with that credit card and the card issuer is contacted within a certain timeframe.Check the website of your credit card provider to see whether this coverage is available and to learn how to make a claim.
- Some credit card providers, however, do not provide coverage for high-value products (usually anything that is worth more than $500 to $1,000).
- Depending on the company, they may ask you to submit a police complaint before they can issue your refund.
- Finally, credit card purchase protection is sometimes referred to as ″secondary coverage,″ which indicates that it only kicks in after you’ve previously used main coverage, such as homeowner’s or renters insurance, to safeguard your purchases.
- This takes us to the sixth step.
Step 6: Claim high-value items with your homeowners insurance
The majority of homeowners and renters insurance plans include coverage for stolen shipments.Unfortunately, this is only beneficial for items that are more valuable than your deductible.Given that the majority of homes insurance deductibles range between $500 and $2,000, submitting a claim for the majority of stolen shipments will be a waste of time.
- However, even if the value of the lost item exceeds the deductible, you’ll need to consider the risk that your homes insurance provider would raise your rates as a result of your claim, not to mention the inconvenience of submitting the claim itself.
How to prevent package theft
When a package is stolen, it may be quite stressful, and the claims procedure can be much more unpleasant. If you wish to reduce the likelihood of losing shipments while you’re away from home, consider the following solutions for protecting your packages while you’re gone.
Schedule for in-person delivery
The most effective method of preventing mail theft is to personally accept your shipments.To do this, either notify your postal service business that you require a signature for delivery or arrange for your mail to be carried to a location where someone is constantly on hand.Consider asking a neighbor if they would be willing to accept delivery if you are frequently away from home.
- Alternatively, if it is acceptable to your business and your shipment is modest, you can choose your office as the delivery destination.
Use a lockbox service
When using a service such as Amazon Locker, you may have goods delivered to a lockbox, which will help to prevent mail from being stolen.In addition, several supermarket and convenience stores provide this sort of service, or you may have your box delivered to your local UPS or USPS center and pick it up when you get to that location.A combination-protected lockbox that stands on your doorstep and safeguards your parcels until you return home is an option if you prefer a shorter journey than driving to the post office.
Insure your packages
Whenever you purchase a high-value item online, such as a new iPhone or iPad, spend a few additional dollars for delivery insurance to protect your investment. Typically, you may accomplish this either directly with the seller or through the delivery company.
Install a security camera
There are various low-cost home security cameras that are simple to install around the perimeter of your property, including bullet cameras.Most of these cameras are compatible with your WiFi network and even have a smartphone app, allowing you to keep track of parcels left during the day.The sheer appearance of these cameras may be enough to deter would-be porch pirates, but even if it isn’t, you’ll still have proof to use as the basis for a police report if necessary.
- As an extra benefit, adding these cameras may entitle you to a reduction on your homes insurance.
What is the value of stolen packages, and what steps have been taken by consumers?
- In accordance with a survey commissioned by ValuePenguin, parcel theft has touched more than 40% of all Americans at some time during their lives. More than 5 out of 10 buyers reported having more than one package stolen in the previous 12 months, resulting in an average loss of $106 per home in that time period. When applied to the total number of households in the United States as determined by the Census Bureau, these averages show that porch piracy cost U.S. consumers more than $7.4 billion in the previous year: In the last year, there were an estimated 144 million victims
- the average loss per home was $106
- and the estimated value of stolen products in the last year was $7.4 billion.
Despite the high number of burglaries, over three-quarters of Americans said they have done nothing to safeguard their deliveries against theft in the future — including more than half of respondents over the age of 55 who said they have done nothing.It is estimated that nearly two out of every three robberies occurred directly outside the victims’ houses, thus it is wise to take several safeguards to deter bold would-be burglars.
What to Do If You Have a Lost or Stolen Package
Skip to the main content Security Expert, Safety & Technology Reporter Read More Packages might go missing from time to time.We have to admit that most of the time when you’re looking for a lost package, it’s because someone has taken it from your front door and taken off.In 2017, over 26 million parcels were stolen, according to the Federal Trade Commission.1 Here are some actions you may take to get paid for package theft, track down the thief, or frighten porch pirates away before they do their nefarious deed.
- To see more videos like this one, make sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Learn how to keep your house, your loved ones, yourself, and your valuables safe from harm’s way.
Here’s what to do if a package is stolen
Keep yourself safe! Subscribing to SafeWise’s weekly email is free of charge. Get the latest information about safety news, product launches, and special offers.
What to do if your package is stolen
If you have a genuine suspicion that you have been hit by a porch pirate and that something has been taken from your stoop, call the authorities and submit a police complaint for the stolen parcel with the police department where you live.If there are no witnesses, they will be powerless to prevent the incident, but they will make a record of it.Keep in mind to give the cops any film you have from your doorbell camera if you have it.
- You should also inform them of the time the delivery provider said your box was delivered and the time you discovered it had gone missing.
- The police will be more likely to investigate and apprehend the package thieves if they hear from other people in your neighborhood who are experiencing the same difficulties as you.
- Filing a police report may also be beneficial if you want to file an insurance claim for the delivery that was not received.
Watch out for post-pandemic porch pirates
- Package theft increased dramatically across the country, from Buffalo, New York, to Eugene, Oregon, as more people were compelled to purchase online as a result of the outbreak. And the epidemic porch pirates came up with some ingenious solutions. Theft of packages was committed by a group of women in Kennewick, Washington, who disguised themselves as nurses. Another package thief struck in Pennsylvania, this time stealing the ashes of a loved one off the doorstep. Even if the epidemic is slowing down, we recommend that you exercise greater caution. Keep track of each and every package
- Take delivery of items as soon as you receive a delivery notification
- check to see if your video doorbell or security camera is sending you motion alerts
- use delivery lockers if you have the option
- The majority of the time, a misplaced shipment is something you specifically requested. If this is the case, you should contact the vendor and inform them that your product has not been delivered as expected. Is the seller liable for packages that have been stolen? Maybe. It all depends on the website where you made your purchase and the policies that are in place on that site. You could wish to inquire with the company’s customer care department. In my experience, firms who send out a replacement immediately quickly, without any questions asked, have a high rate of success. However, not every firm will provide you with a replacement item or a refund for your purchase. Keep any evidence that supports your allegation in a safe place. If you receive a notification of delivery, but the package is not where it was supposed to be, take a photo of the situation.
- Keep a record of your order confirmation number and any other information that can assist the company in tracking down your purchase.
- Keep track of delivery numbers and information to provide along to the firm so that it can contact the courier on your behalf.
If the stolen parcel was sent by a friend or family, notify them that it has not been delivered as scheduled.. They can get in touch with the vendor or the courier to see if they can figure out what went wrong.
3. How do I report a stolen package to Amazon?
Amazon is well-known for its lightning-fast Prime shipping and its ″no questions asked″ mentality, which is essentially true.If the tracking information for an Amazon delivery indicates that it was delivered, but you are unable to locate it, you should be able to obtain a refund rather quickly and simply.After 36 hours have gone since the estimated delivery date of the stolen Amazon shipment, you should call Amazon to report the theft.
- If your products are delivered late, the shipping company will normally reimburse your account for the inconvenience.
- You won’t have to worry about dealing with third-party merchants (or even their own services) because the corporation will manage everything for you.
4. How do I report a stolen FedEx package?
FedEx makes it simple to file a claim for a misplaced shipment.If you bought or mailed something from the United States via FedEx, you may make a FedEx stolen parcel claim online to get your goods back.FedEx is also a rather quick delivery service.
- In most cases, claims are resolved within five to seven business days of being filed.
- When it comes to filing a claim for damaged or missing materials, you’ll have 60 calendar days to do so as either the sender or the recipient.
- For lost item claims, you’ll have up to nine months to file them.
- However, make sure to save all packaging and evidence in case FedEx want to inspect them.
5. How do I report a stolen package to UPS?
In the event of a shipment being lost or stolen, UPS provides varying insurance based on whether your package was sent within the United States or worldwide.For domestic shipments, if you place an order and it doesn’t arrive, you won’t be able to make a missing package claim until 24 hours after the delivery was meant to arrive.Product claims for items acquired from outside the United States are more difficult to process.
- You will not be able to register a claim for certain items, and it may be difficult to obtain a refund or replacement for them.
- All of the assertions are as follows: UPS will examine your claim for a lost shipment as soon as you file it.
- It might be difficult to determine if a shipment has been misplaced or stolen.
- Regardless, all undeliverable shipments, for whatever reason, are dealt with in this manner.
- If you ordered the merchandise, you need get in touch with the vendor, since UPS would give the refund to them instead of the purchaser.
6. Contact USPS about a stolen package
- Because it is more difficult to submit a claim with the USPS than it is with other carriers, parcels stolen or lost by the USPS can be more difficult to track down than goods lost by other carriers. While the company’s procedure for reimbursing damaged parcels is well defined, the procedure for reimbursing stolen mail is not. If your parcel was mailed and delivered by the United States Postal Service, but it has not arrived, you will need to make a claim. Prepare the tracking number in advance
- Be prepared to present proof of insurance coverage.
- If at all feasible, obtain documentation demonstrating the item’s worth.
If your shipment has been stolen and there is evidence, you should snap photographs and submit them as evidence as well. If your item was insured by the United States Postal Service, you should be able to request a reimbursement straight from USPS. Generally speaking, if your shipment was stolen by the USPS, you should be able to get a replacement or a refund through the vendor.
What you can do to prevent package theft (or track down those porch pirates!)
You should take use of whatever cameras you have, whether they be doorbell cameras or outside security cameras.If a shipment is not delivered as promised, keep an eye out for it on video.The parcel may be checked to see if it was delivered by the carrier or if it was taken by someone else.
- If you see a theft, you should contact your local police station.
- Alternatively, if you can demonstrate that no one ever showed up at your door, the carrier (if you’re the shipper) or shipper (if you’re the recipient) will be required to repay you the money you paid.
- Installing a camera on your porch will provide you with proof of delivery or theft.
- These days, there is a wide selection of smart doorbells and home security cameras to choose from.
- Some use applications to give out fast notifications, while others just capture video footage.
2. Shine a light on the situation
Porch pirates like to remain hidden in the shadows. Install a motion-activated light on your porch to deter burglars from entering your home. Motion light and security camera combinations are also available on the market. You’ll have a visually stunning deterrent as well as a method to catch the perpetrators in the act.
Tell us about your lost or stolen package experience
Being a victim of package theft is never enjoyable, and dealing with defective carriers is even worse.We hope that this guidance will assist you in taking precautionary actions, obtaining a refund, or obtaining a replacement as fast as possible.If you have any tips on how to recover a misplaced or stolen parcel, please share them with us in the comments section below!
- It’s always beneficial to hear first-person recollections of events.
Related pages on SafeWise
Compare the best home security systems
|Brand||Best for||Lowest monitoring price||S|